Lag caused by Windows and App Updates.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Kingwicked101 #1 Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6862 battles

Simple way to prevent lag whilst windows carries out updates in the background – Disable Updates.

1. Search Windows for Control Panel.
  2. Click to open.
  3. Click on Administrative Tools
  4. Then click on Services
  5. This will open up a list of all local PC services.
  6. Scroll down to Windows Update.
  7. Right click on Windows Update.
  8. Left Click on Properties.
  9. Select Disable then once it is disabled – select stop.
  10. Click Apply then OK

This will disable any Windows Updates for an amount of time or until a scan is implemented, until midnight or restart of PC.

It would be advisable to check every time prior to starting any gaming program.

A few other tips to ensure smooth gaming before playing:-

1. Run Windows Defender or Virus scan twice.
  2. Download and run CCleaner twice.
  3. Download from IObit Advanced Systems Care and run scan twice.
  4. Download from IObit Smart Defrag and carry out a Disk Defrag by selecting smart defrag and then select Defrag and Smart Optimize … run it twice.
  5. After this, game Defrag and defrag all games you wish to select.
  6. Once all scans have run twice … restart PC.
  7. Please NOTE … if you have disabled Windows Update prior to running these scans … you have to disable Windows Update again.
  8. If you are using these programs for the first time - scans will take much longer to scan and thereafter daily scans will be quicker.
  9. If there is a gaming update or any other Windows updates, it would be advisable to run all scans prior to playing any online games.  

IObit will display an ICON on the desktop which will display RAM% and CPU % - on the left there is a rocket symbol which allows you to boost your system for speed – click on this.

Razer Cortex is another program I use to boost my gaming experience along with IObit – it is also a free download along with all the programs mentioned above.

Please note: The higher your ping relates to time loss in the picture you are receiving – for example … my 300ping (after scans and boosting) relates to between 0.68sec and 0.83sec picture loss … meaning that where you see the plane it is actually 0.83sec ahead thus using the lead with large guns means missing your kill most times.  

The other thing with a higher ping, any identical sets of a planes with the same set-up, that other plane with a better ping will always be faster than your plane.

Please comment if you have any other programs that will help improve the gaming experience.

PS: Windows updates will need to be restarted before attempting to update Windows or Downloading any other Apps.

I trust this assists those with higher ping rates that are having issues in shooting down of targets.

Happy gaming.

trikke #2 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:14 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2531 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
ty, man!     excellent pro tips!
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

ComradeZ #3 Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:16 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3471 battles
  • [FK] FK

'Pro' tips such as 'Defrag your SSD'.    Since when do you have to defrag an SSD?

This can be narrowed down to:  Don't download while playing and keep your computer clean.

trikke #4 Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:23 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2531 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i looked again... i didn't see 'defrag your SSD' in his tips

but folks, do not defrag your SSD

ComradeZ #5 Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3471 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostKingwicked101, on 11 October 2018 - 06:45 AM, said:

1. Download from IObit Smart Defrag and carry out a Disk Defrag by selecting smart defrag and then select Defrag and Smart Optimize … run it twice.

You are correct.

I'm assuming everyone in the future (now) has an SSD. No excuse not to when they go for $50 dollars.

Edited by ComradeZ, 14 October 2018 - 01:48 AM.

trikke #6 Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2531 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

if you're considering an upgrade to SSD, weigh the benefits vs cost to choosing a TLC SSD

TLCs are cheaper, really cheap, and are really fast... but have a shorter life expectancy 

if your PC is old, it's a good choice to replace your HDD, but if not...  it may fail unexpectedly sooner than than you would assume

ShoeButton #7 Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:11 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1844 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

Great Tips!

i would add, Make sure that you Disable or Exit any other programs that normally run in your System Tray (Win 7)

like WT Manager, AW Manager or Steam as they tend to want to run Game Updates in the Background...

I'm not running SSD's yet... my PC Budget has been Trashed after buying a New House.

However I'm planning some Upgrades after 1 January and Tax Time...

Most of the time we do what Must be Done, What ever Time is left over we do what we Want to do...

:hiding:

Regards,

-ShoeButton

ComradeZ #8 Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3471 battles
  • [FK] FK

Good tips.  People, these tips are for older machines and any laptop that's under  600 dollars.  If you have a modern rig with a ssd and over 8gb of Ram, these tips will not help you as much as you will have the resources to spare.

If your a spinner and under 3.5ghz and only 8gb of ram or less, these tips will have a positive impact!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users