MODE SO AWFUL.. it defies description

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Xr901 #41 Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3352 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Well, attrition may not have been fair to bombers and GAAs but the two modes are not the same. This was not a fantastic and wonderful idea, that showed foresight. Although it might have done a disservice to 2 classes, at least attrition remained a game of skill. You actually had to play well to win in the game mode, even the "light fighter supremacists". (p.s. yes i mainly fly light fighters, so you can stop reading now and start to rage at me, but I like to play everything in a session). This game mode on the other hand simply requires you to load into a bomber or GAA. Do that and you can go AFK and maintain an 80% winrate... To attack you just need to show up, maybe destroy 4-8 ground or air targets, and get less than 10k personal points to win the vast majority of your battles. To defend you're looking at 20+ kills and 20k+ personal points to even have a chance of winning.

I and other people I know SHOULD NOT be able to load into a bomber/GAA or a flight with a ground pounder and something else and go undefeated to 5-8 hours.  To me that says flawed design, not a fantastic and insightful game design... but maybe that's just me.

Furthermore, this game mode is only "good" for bombers and GAA because they never get stuck on the hopeless side. In almost every game I've been in, a good player in a fighter or heavy fighter who is defending their team's bombers will have a much more significant impact on the match than a bomber or GA.

We were talking about it earlier and I don't think that it would be that hard to make the mode more balanced. We came up with a few ideas
1. decrease the number of respawns for the attacking team
2. increase the number of bombers that have to get through to 15 or 20
3. increase the number of spawn locations for defenders near the forward bases.
4. increase attacker re-spawn time.

nice additions would also be:
5. don't stick the missions for crates that don't require victories behind the gold missions that do.
6. implement one of the suggestions that's already been made elsewhere to give the defenders who actually try to win something for their pains.

^     do these last two and at least it'll make loss after loss with 20+ kills, and 20-45k personal points feel like less of a kick in the teeth rather than an enjoyable gaming experience. Experience this enough times and you either end up just quitting until the event is over or getting into a flight with a ground pounder and something else. 

Edited by Xr901, 08 October 2018 - 06:35 AM.

trikke #42 Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2276 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

my guess is that the next BEM event will be tweaked a bit for balance, and i'm a good guesser

like right here, right now...  i'm guessing that Spit drivers will still be mad, because Spitfires

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

jack_wdw #43 Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 986 battles
bomber waves consist of too many planes.

GonerNL #44 Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 696 battles

I'm curious to see what WG comes up with to balance this game mode ... 

First part I only flew LF's and HF's so ended up on defense mostly. Very depressing, so I went for GA in the second part (had a IL-40 to grind). I did notice that people who kept flying fighters had at least found one very good strategy ; kill the GA. The battles that I did lose in attack were the ones where some dedicated GA-hunters just kept defending the strongholds so the AA stayed alive and shredded the bomber-streams. That seemed to work better than go after the bombers themselves ... just an observation.

Flying on EU and NA server

vcharng #45 Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2527 battles

View PostXr901, on 07 October 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

I and other people I know SHOULD NOT be able to load into a bomber/GAA or a flight with a ground pounder and something else and go undefeated to 5-8 hours.  To me that says flawed design, not a fantastic and insightful game design... but maybe that's just me.

Furthermore, this game mode is only "good" for bombers and GAA because they never get stuck on the hopeless side. In almost every game I've been in, a good player in a fighter or heavy fighter who is defending their team's bombers will have a much more significant impact on the match than a bomber or GA.

Well but people thinks it's fine to fly LF and win undefeated for 24 hours, so just as I say it's nothing more than LF supremism.

I do agree that although GAAs and bombers can win a lot, they still lack the actual impact, perhaps it's not just the problem of the mode, but also that ground hitters need a buff.

El_Mulo #46 Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:01 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9363 battles

I' ve to confess I like this mode.  Worst!  I like to be in the usually loser side (defender) Because I like to intercept bombers.
If you fly with a wingman (good one) you can win in a ratio of 50% (HF-LF  or HF-M)

Also I think that could be balance in an easier way just by adding more humans in the defender side than in the attacker's (may be the double)  and give the defenders the opportunity of organize.

Another thing could be a much longer way out for the bombers, a lot of  times I lose in the defender side just because I couldn 't reach the last bombers flight.

Edited by El_Mulo, 11 October 2018 - 03:03 AM.

What we say to death?

vcharng #47 Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2527 battles

View PostEl_Mulo, on 11 October 2018 - 03:01 AM, said:

I' ve to confess I like this mode.  Worst!  I like to be in the usually loser side (defender) Because I like to intercept bombers.
If you fly with a wingman (good one) you can win in a ratio of 50% (HF-LF  or HF-M)

Also I think that could be balance in an easier way just by adding more humans in the defender side than in the attacker's (may be the double)  and give the defenders the opportunity of organize.

Another thing could be a much longer way out for the bombers, a lot of  times I lose in the defender side just because I couldn 't reach the last bombers flight.

For some reason I can understand why some prefers playing on the losing side.

During BEM I find easy wins in my Ju88A boring, and instead prefers challenging against the odds in my Me410.

CorvusCorvax #48 Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1486 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Postvcharng, on 11 October 2018 - 03:47 AM, said:

During BEM I find easy wins in my Ju88A boring, and instead prefers challenging against the odds in my Me410.

^^^this.

Wombatmetal #49 Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:14 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 989 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View Postvcharng, on 10 October 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

i tried that for a few games hut ended up on offense anyway.Karma?

CorvusCorvax #50 Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1486 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostWombatmetal, on 11 October 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

Same here.  And even more fun was had blowing up the defenders!  I don't know, the whole event has been a lot of fun.  Both winning and losing.

Edited by CorvusCorvax, 12 October 2018 - 01:34 PM.

trikke #51 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2276 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i'll admit that i thought i was a gifted OP bomber/GA pilot for a little while, mostly because i won every battle

i was sooo looking forward to this, since bombers/GAs have always taken a back seat to every other class 

(even MRs had a more fulfilling role in Conquest...  ffs they're MRs, the bastard children of beautiful LFs and brutish heavies)

i learned the truth a little bit later 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

El_Mulo #52 Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9363 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 12 October 2018 - 03:15 AM, said:

Same here.  And even more fun was had blowing up the defenders!  I don't know, the whole event has been a lot of fun.  Both winning and losing.

You want to play defensive side?
Simply choose a Multirrole fighter (flying alone)  and you will be defending desperatedly and losing almost all.  
It took me near 4 hours to get 5 missions won with Multis.

What we say to death?

El_Mulo #53 Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9363 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 12 October 2018 - 03:15 AM, said:

Doing the Mults I got an extrange mix:  Tons of fun trying to stop bombers and equal amount of frustation because the continue losing of battles.
Another thing I got is 38 % W/L percentage (IDC about my stats but I was so angry with WG that I got to look at it).

Edited by El_Mulo, 18 October 2018 - 01:27 PM.

What we say to death?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users