Game Mode Idea: Where Eagles Dare

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

SpiritFoxMY #1 Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:17 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3141 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Object: To create a hardcore game mode for only the most experienced and daring pilots to face off against one another - but also give each airplane class a role to play and a chance to shine.

Concept: A symmetric versus game mode where players have to destroy either the enemy team or their defensive target.

Mechanics:

1. The map would consist of five caps per side - a Command Center, an airbase and two new cap types: two Staging Airfields and the Citadel. 

2. None of the caps should posses ADAs

3. The Command Center will constantly spawn bomber flights two times slower than the current CC flights. These flights will proceed to the enemy Citadel and attempt to destroy it

4. The Airbase will allow players to repair or respawn in a different airplane. It should be located at the farthest point of the map opposite the enemy spawn

5. The Staging Airfields are effectively similar to Forward Airfields with the exception that they can also repair airplanes up to 75% of their total HP. These airfields should be between the Citadel and the enemy team.

6. The Citadel will effectively be four Strongholds with a Mining Plant in the middle. The team loses if their Citadel is destroyed.

7. Buildings will not respawn. Anything destroyed on the ground stays destroyed

8. Players will not respawn. Death is permanent. While they will be able to swap airplanes within the AoE of the Airbase, once they are shot down, they are out of the game. 

Rationale:

1. The Staging Airfields will allow players to duck back for a quick repair and a quick turn around particularly if a battle it raging close by. This should (hopefully) increase player survivability as long as they are able to disengage from a fight.

2. Being able to swap airplanes means a player should never be handicapped against an opponent who hard-counters their airplane, yet the distance to the airbase should discourage constant airplane swapping. 

3. Permanent death without respawn means that each engagement will need to be thought out well. This mode is not intended for beginners

4. Permanent destruction means attriting the oppositions' infrastructure is a viable option to weaken their resistance

5. The AI bomber flights are intended to force teams to engage and prevent deathballing.

Implementation:

The mode should have a transparent "looking for group" and "in queue" function should show players how many people are waiting for a group to take part in this battle and their current dispositions (In Battle, AFK, Available etc.). Once about 50% of slots are filled for the chosen tiers with Active Players, the all game starts. Additional players who were "in queue" but not immediately available may jump into the battle up until 50% of players on a team are knocked out of the fight.

Opinions? Good idea, bad idea, SpiritFox should stop randomly suggesting ideas?

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

El_Mulo #2 Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10711 battles

I like it!

What we say to death?

trikke #3 Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2557 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

a great idea!   and most important, it should be easy-ish to code

i especially love the rolling queue idea, and the 'no deathball' feature 

share more good ideas, brother!

how about T6 and higher?   that would promote more high tier battles   (says the guy who never flies higher than T8)

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 14452 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN
Well, to be honest I don't feel qualified to opine on your ideas.  I do know I wish bug fixing came first.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CdnSniper52 #5 Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:18 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1707 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Sounds like a great idea.  Maybe add a functionality where MM keeps clans together.  Probably would be closest we'll ever see to clan wars

ArrowZ_ #6 Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:51 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

I like it. Reminds me of what could have been done better with 1.x. I'm guessing the size of the team makeup for this kind of mode requires a large group on either side. Otherwise without respawns and with the current 12v12 format, the battles will be too short and you won't really be able to fully experience the objectives of the mode itself.

ie. Both sides could completely ignore the sectors all together and just duke it out air2air in the middle and whoever eliminates the entire team first wins. Which kinda defeats the whole purpose of having sectors in the first place.

Balance in plane types would also have to be even more restrictive because if the teams are given 100% freedom in what they choose, they'd all choose super TnB planes or zoomy BnZs that will climb to the moon and stall the enemy for days (back to 1.x again). If team makeups had a mix of GAs/Bombers/MRFs & heavies then I'd say this mode has a good shot of being a fun and entertaining game mode. And large scaled to about 20v20 minimum. If it were up to me I'd do 30v30 but I doubt BigWorld can handle it. Not to mention the strain it would put on these hamster-type-servers that are heavily budgeted because WG reasons...

But nice idea as always. TBH it's the type of game mode I would play over conquest and attrition. Because of the focus of dogfights and aerial conflicts. That's what I like about these aviation games.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

jack_wdw #7 Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1193 battles
I also like it in theory.
But i"m afraid that in practice, it wil be flawed again by bots.

As long as population is as low as it is now, all these advanced game modes will flaw due to absence of human players.
If there is some strategy to a game, bots can't fill the ranks like humans do and most certainly will flaw these games.
That's why i vouch for a principal game mode like it was pre 2.0.
It was better suited for bot play, the only thing you have to address is the lemming stalling bot behaviour (which can be solved pretty easily).
If population reaches a viable number, then add other game modes as optional, don't swap with only one gamemode .

Edited by jack_wdw, 02 October 2018 - 06:29 AM.

GonerNL #8 Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:06 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 800 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 01 October 2018 - 03:17 PM, said:

for only the most experienced and daring pilots to face off against one another

Looks like a great scenario ... but how will you get these pilots on-line at the same time ?? At the times I fly NA, I'm only mostly in 1-vs-1 battles ...

Edited by GonerNL, 02 October 2018 - 09:07 AM.

Flying on EU and NA server

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users