Materials & the new equipment system: A review & list of suggestions

Materials Equipment Calibration Enhancements gameplay mechanics balancing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

NovaTempest #1 Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2237 battles

NOTE: THIS IS GOING TO BE RATHER LENGTHY, DO NOT SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU. :hiding:

After developing some experience with the new material and equipment systems put in place by the devs, i've decided to weigh-in. And by weigh-in, i mean stick every single sensible thought I have, opinionated or not, conveniently in one easy to find place. I brushed on it on the discord server but I thought I would go more into detail here.

If you don't want to dig through the entire details below the TL;DR statement is this: I do like the equipment and components system so far, but it still could use a wee bit of tweaking. I don't blame you for not wanting to read a novel that took me 3 hours just to type up to make sure i got all my ducks in a row before stating something utterly derpy in this post. ( pls dun hurt me. D: )

For convenience, I've chopped the post up into collapsible spoiler sections so you are not stuck with a huge wall of text to look at, unless you like that sort of thing of course.

MATERIALS:

Spoiler

EQUIPMENT:

Spoiler

Edited by NovaTempest, 24 September 2018 - 07:42 PM.

mnbv_fockewulfe #2 Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:23 PM

Captain

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

+1 for caring

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Lucky_Breeze #3 Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5581 battles
wow Nova great post if you got the time to read it. I'm ADD so i couldn't finish it but there is a lot of awesome info there. +1

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:39 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 12777 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

Thanks for your post and your ideas.   I like almost all of them.  To the equipment bonus characteristics have you tried using realignment yet?  Costs tokens though and it's another dang gambling game. 

I never cal anything but Ultimate anymore.  I would rather get everything to Ultimate (for the bonuses) than waste them on that gamble.  Once it's Ultimate I cal at least once.

One last thing.  That increased crit chance on your guns adds up to 25%.  Rarely to you see such a large percentage jump.  I would keep it.

Edited by Captain_Underpants53, 24 September 2018 - 11:44 PM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

ArrowZ_ #5 Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:36 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

I only object to one thing (Everything else is great. Ofcourse we all know what happens to great ideas...):

Block Quote

The Suggestion(s):

Remove the 'Have to Win' requirement, but implement a cut instead: This is my sole suggestion for this aspect of the parts & components mechanic, as, considering losers still get credits and XP, why can't they get parts and components as well? Surely both sides would be looting aircraft wreckage on the ground even as the air battle is still raging. Just the losing side would not have the time afterward to leisurely pick the wrecks completely clean like the winning team would. Therefore, i'd suggest a reduced amount of rewards vs the winning team, so say a 25-45% cut, applied after the battle ends.

With this change, even at the current mechanic structure of player's participating in battle and what they shoot at, how they fly etc, will grant "AFKers" the ability to spam battles, do the littlest contribution possible in a battle and exit to hangar just a few minutes after the battle started - rinse and repeat. The result - They earn meager amounts of materials regardless of a win BUT if they have say 100+ planes in their hangar... this can be easily exploited.

That's why I suggested in that thread (can't remember if it was the 2.0.5 feedback one) that players should still be awarded materials on losses adding a reward scaling based on their personal points. So say if an AFKer only contributed 2000 personal points in that entire match and lost, they would get say 5% of what the top contributor of the losing team would earn who got ie. 15k PPs. While they might still get some materials it will be greatly reduced and discourages them to perform such exploits.

It's not perfect but is definitely a measure WG/these devs can do to avoid teams having an increased amounts of AFK players who do nothing but exit the battle just because they want materials, no matter if they lose/win or the amount they get.

But good luck trying to get this through the devs.

Edited by ArrowZ_, 25 September 2018 - 01:39 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:02 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 12777 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN
Why won't they increase the 1000 point participation bonus to those who stay till the end?
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

NovaTempest #7 Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2237 battles

View PostArrowZ_, on 25 September 2018 - 01:36 AM, said:

I only object to one thing (Everything else is great. Ofcourse we all know what happens to great ideas...):

With this change, even at the current mechanic structure of player's participating in battle and what they shoot at, how they fly etc, will grant "AFKers" the ability to spam battles, do the littlest contribution possible in a battle and exit to hangar just a few minutes after the battle started - rinse and repeat. The result - They earn meager amounts of materials regardless of a win BUT if they have say 100+ planes in their hangar... this can be easily exploited.

That's why I suggested in that thread (can't remember if it was the 2.0.5 feedback one) that players should still be awarded materials on losses adding a reward scaling based on their personal points. So say if an AFKer only contributed 2000 personal points in that entire match and lost, they would get say 5% of what the top contributor of the losing team would earn who got ie. 15k PPs. While they might still get some materials it will be greatly reduced and discourages them to perform such exploits.

It's not perfect but is definitely a measure WG/these devs can do to avoid teams having an increased amounts of AFK players who do nothing but exit the battle just because they want materials, no matter if they lose/win or the amount they get.

But good luck trying to get this through the devs.

I would have to look into this, but based on the conditions stated in the specials menu, anyone attempting to pull this would have to have destroyed something in order to even get anything at all. Actually strike that, I Know this is the case, I had an extremely rare 'phantom battle' (Those instances where a plane goes into a battle without you ever knowing) that actually was a victory, i got nothing in terms of components from that win. So that rules out doing absolutely nothing. But that is not what you are pointing out.

What you are pointing out is that with the system you quoted off me, an 'AFKer' would simply have to shoot down a few planes then can jump ship. WoT has had a system where leaving in the middle of a battle can penalize a player that tries something like this, so maybe a similar system can be implemented that prevents anyone who leaves a battle before a certain amount of minutes have passed in the battle from earning any components? It might be a bit complex to implement properly but it would be a great deterrent from just half-a**ing battles left and right.

Though the other thing to note is that good players can easily harvest close to 20 components per win with a good plane, IIRC my average haul in my Ki-84 falls around 14-16 components, but I have had plenty of 20 or more component hauls from wins. Considering most of my battles go several minutes shorter than the 12 minute max, I do not entirely see the AFK tactic being truly worth it for competent players, especially if they have 100+ planes. Though that is just my opinion.

Either way, +1 for pointing that out.

CorvusCorvax #8 Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1488 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
Great post, and thank you for the well-thought-out suggestions.  And don't worry about mbnv's idiotic opinion.  Not that any thinking person would anyway.

SonicPariah #9 Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:50 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 427 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. The Equipment and Calibration systems are still definitely growing and changing and should see differences moving forward.

There are also a ton of Updates coming with our next Patch and Update, so keep an eye out for those changes.

NovaTempest #10 Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2237 battles

View PostSonicPariah, on 25 September 2018 - 07:50 PM, said:

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. The Equipment and Calibration systems are still definitely growing and changing and should see differences moving forward.

There are also a ton of Updates coming with our next Patch and Update, so keep an eye out for those changes.

Of course, anytime SonicPariah. :honoring:

pigeon_kicker #11 Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1414 battles
  • [SF] SF

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 24 September 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

+1 for caring

Giggle

If you want to make god laugh, tell him about your plans for survival..

Lead developer for the NACCW web site. Author of the Pigeon Pak Mod Installer

www.team-sf.com

Sassover #12 Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 172 battles

View PostNovaTempest, on 25 September 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

Of course, anytime SonicPariah. :honoring:

Tool.

NovaTempest #13 Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2237 battles

View PostSassover, on 26 September 2018 - 04:15 PM, said:

Tool.

Hey, the game isn't going to get better by itself. Can you blame a guy for trying? :teethhappy:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users