What was the first game that got you hot and bothered to fly?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Noreaga #21 Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:19 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

OMG SIM copter, so many amazing wasted hours. 

F117 was my introduction to good game but my first love (like all pre teen love, i have no idea why i was in love)

https://classicreload.com/commander-keen-2-the-earth-explodes.html

Nimis obnoxii curare

Gullygnome #22 Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:31 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1820 battles
I appreciate all the responses so far! Brought back many good gaming memories. o7

foozle #23 Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

Ace of Aces  ...from the same guy that developed Red Barron.

Corsair_Knight #24 Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:11 AM

Airman Basic

• 931 battles
  • [524] 524
I feel old now, Red Barron on Atari or flight sim on Com 64/128

Bobby_Tables #25 Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4412 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

This game.  

Seriously.  I was always an aviation freak.  Even chose Aerospace Engineering for my major, but did not make the cut and got accepted to Mechanical Engineering, which turned out to be fortunate given the total lack of aerospace jobs when I graduated way back in the day. 

But honestly, got a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator for Christmas so many years ago but it bored me.  Saw an ad somewhere for this game back, what, like 3 years ago, and it's the first multiplayer online game I ever played.  Sad, in a way, but true.  Got soooo pissed off at the people shooting me down but struck up some friendships with some good people and have kept playing ever since.  My main goal was to get to the F-86 because I saw that time as the height of air-to-air combat - still dogfighting but in jets.  That took quite some time to get to, let me tell you.  

GonerNL #26 Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:19 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 800 battles

Air Warrior by Kesmai ... multiplayer on-line air combat sim. Played it on CompuServe using a modem (early 90's). Huge phone bills !!

Best thing were the 'scenarios', community run historic battles, like Battle of Britain,Pearl Harbor, Big Week ... because it was real massive multi-player, you had to sign up to fly a side (Aliies,Axis), plane type (fighter, bomber, torpedo-bomber, paratrooper C-47) and were then assigned to a squadron. You took off as a squadron, followed orders, do the mission and then get back safely to land.

Flying on EU and NA server

Catch21 #27 Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2631 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 18 September 2018 - 11:45 PM, said:

IL 2  Sturmovik.  Very complex flight sim.  Loooooong learning curve.  About 20 years ago.

Me too. There's 66% off on the sale of the latest iteration of IL-2 (Battle of Stalingrad) expiring tonight, so I went back, since the WoWP crew never rolled back asking to pay again to upgrade your planes. Rise of Flight too if WWI works for you...

Captain_Underpants53 #28 Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 14538 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostCatch21, on 28 October 2018 - 11:57 AM, said:

Me too. There's 66% off on the sale of the latest iteration of IL-2 (Battle of Stalingrad) expiring tonight, so I went back, since the WoWP crew never rolled back asking to pay again to upgrade your planes. Rise of Flight too if WWI works for you...

I fired up my latest copy of IL-2 Ultimate Edition and couldn't play it!  I forgot all the keyboard commands.  Oh well, arcade ville, here I am!

:playing:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Catch21 #29 Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2631 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 28 October 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

I fired up my latest copy of IL-2 Ultimate Edition and couldn't play it!  I forgot all the keyboard commands.  Oh well, arcade ville, here I am!

:playing:

You can get it to work, but it's a real pain. These new ones look pretty good and at $17 with 66% off I don't think you can go too far wrong really...

I also started on Dawn Patrol for WWI, and Rise of Flight at 66% off on all planes today and a Nieuport 17 for $1 ($2 with all mods) or a Sopwith Camel for $1.70 ($2.70 with all mods) was just too good to pass up on a free to play game...

trikke #30 Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:45 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2557 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Crimson Skies forced me to buy my first joystick... damn you, Nathan Z
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Azis_ #31 Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 485 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

Watched a few years of my life disappear in the MS Gaming zone starting with Xwing vs Tie fighter which is also where my Call Sign (Azis) was born and first clans for online game play. ReBeLstill has a few members hanging out and the website is still there. We would waste hours trying to get 16 players to IP into a lag fest Blast o fun filled 10 min match. :D Most all on 56k modem connect @ 48.8kps. Also had a WoW (Week of War) event every month where we posted battle results on Battlestats.com that kept track of all the stats for results. One player would save a SS of battle results and manually enter them at Battlestats. :coin:

Crimson Skies had to be my favorite. The missions, cut scenes....everything about that game was cool as ICE! Best part was in PvP and Owning the Re-Arm hangar.

That was also about the same time coms started coming around. Used to fly with my wingman Vader (in X vs Tie) using yahoomsngr voice before that.

Also had all the MS sims including the Battle sims. The battle sims were fun solo but too much sim for online for my con at the time. Regular sims were ok but also boring, but were useful to get my PPL. I soloed in a Piper Cub 3-2001after only 10 hrs of instruction. Explains my flying style, Low n Slow, turn n burn.

Have always used a Joy or I don't do fly games. MS Sidewinder is the first I recall.

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

Captain_Underpants53 #32 Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 14538 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

I used to have a Sidewinder.  Don't even remember what happened to it.  I think Microsoft got out of the peripheral business years ago.  Too bad, they made tough stuff. 

These days I use the Extreme 3D Pro.  Only lasts about a year or so.  :(

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Azis_ #33 Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 485 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_
I use the same, prolly my third but I have mellowed a bit...I don't often have to go across the room, retrieve it and plug it back in these days lmbo. Had this one nearly 5 years and it still cals up just fine.
rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

Azis_ #34 Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 485 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_
BTW I now have mini C-Clamps for the edge of my custom desk to hold my joy down so it stays put :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users