Learned some valuable lessons today...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ArrowZ_ #1 Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:22 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

It's not what you think heh... 

Today I took my first lesson in a manual car and boy was it a completely different world to an automatic! The amount of stalls (3-4 times) and angry drivers on the road... :teethhappy: Instructor goes "Ahh dw, ignore them they're just impatient like 99% of the populace in the road these days!" Ahh it's going to be a fun learning curve.

Once I master dem manual skillz ima jump into a sport's car and start doing burnouts... :trollface: (I kid!). Bucket list #15 = Participate in atleast 1 drag race! :B

If you've got any tips for a youngin' like me new to the whole experience of manual driving, shoot them down in the comments below. And if you can remember in your time, what was it like when you first started? And what car did you learn manual in? Also what car did you move on to move up the levels of greater manual driving skillz...

Appreciate the tips and replies. Cyas all in the skies :honoring:

Edited by ArrowZ_, 18 September 2018 - 02:39 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

pyantoryng #2 Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:36 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1678 battles

LOL

I got to drive the cargo-use pickup at my work to reverse it into loading position...the engine gave out thrice because I can't operate the clutch and the guy in charge did the rest. Yep, stalling the engine 3 times in a row when trying to drive it for less than 20 meters or so!

It'll be a while yet before I want tp pick it up...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #3 Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:40 AM

Captain

• 779 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostArrowZ_, on 17 September 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

It's not what you think heh... 

Today I took my first lesson in a manual car and boy was it a completely different world to an automatic! The amount of stalls (3-4 times) and angry drivers on the road... :teethhappy: Instructor goes "Ahh dw, ignore them they're just impatient like 99% of the populace in the road these days!" Ahh it's going to be a fun learning curve.

Once I master dem manual skillz ima jump into a sport's car and start doing burnouts... :trollface: (I kid!). Bucket list #15 = Participate in atleast 1 drag race! :B

If you've got any tips for a youngin' like me new to the whole experience of manual driving, shoot them down in the comments below. And if you can remember in your time, what was it like when you first started? And what car did you learn manual in? Also what car did you move on to move up the levels of greater manual driving skillz...

Appreciate the tips and replies. Cyas all in the skies :honoring:

keep your rpm's up to the sweet spot and feather the clutch pedal

when you start going (depending on the car) dump the clutch and gas it hard

switch gears as soon as you approach red line

do it again til reach speed or run out of gears

I learned on a ford pick up/dump straight 6- 3 on the tree

give 'em hell AZ

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 14273 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 17 September 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

keep your rpm's up to the sweet spot and feather the clutch pedal

when you start going (depending on the car) dump the clutch and gas it hard

switch gears as soon as you approach red line

do it again til reach speed or run out of gears

I learned on a ford pick up/dump straight 6- 3 on the tree

give 'em hell AZ

LOL.  I hope you ain't in reverse!

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Lipstick_Torpedo #5 Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:56 AM

Airman Basic

• 9889 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Having passed my driving test in an armoured Land Rover many years ago I, like most, Brits, then drove a wide variety cars all with manual gear boxes. Much later I rather clumsily mislaid a leg and got a car with an automatic gearbox and a left-foot accelerator. It took me ten minutes to learn to drive an automatic, a further 10 minutes to adapt to a left-foot accelerator. However, understanding how to tune the radio took the next ten weeks!

wylleEcoyote #6 Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2128 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS
Save up your money now. 4-800 dollars for transmission work unless you have the know how and tools (and lift access) to do it yourself
Expect to burnout /break/destroy and subsequently replace the clutch plate in your personal vehicle within 3 months as you learn the fine art of shifting at speed.

Dont worry it is supposed to fail like that.
Better to catastrophically break one clutch plate and replace it
than damage/stress/ warp/ fracture all the gears, shafts, even differentials that are attached to it and replace a whole transmission and or drive shaft (at the cost of 3-4 thousand dollars

SenatorTH #7 Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:42 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2366 battles

Sounds strange maybe, but it will be easier to learn manual driving in an older, much older car. It has few "bonuses" for learners:

1. Clutch has wider range of adhesion. To imagine it, let's pretend the pedal goes from 0-100. Then in a new car the distance from no-grip to full-grip will be 5-10. Mean when you're releasing the pedal, at position 50 it's still no-grip, and suddenly few millimeters later it grabs hard - when you're familiar with a stick and particular car, there's noprob, but for a newcomer it's tough. Old car or slipping clutch has much wider range, probably 15-20 or even more.

2. Less sound isolation. The better you hear the engine, the easier. Listen for its sound at 1500-3000rpm range - it sounds easy, after it comes to screaming, don't let it scream, you're not at dragstrip yet. Learn slight pulsating with your right leg, letting rpms wave from 1000 to 1500-1800 about once-twice per second. When you're able to do that easily without thinking about it, the only step remaining is to release clutch pedal slowly enough. Don't need to look at the meters. Btw, for the particular car have to find, at what exact point the clutch starts to grip - some do that at 20% of their motion, some at 60%, you never know.

Or just get a good teacher, then you'll learn it just in (pure time) couple hours. Years ago it took me 40min to teach my 12yo daughter, and after that she drove full circle on a racetrack and came back to parking spot on her 1st attempt, so that's a no brainer :D

ArrowZ_ #8 Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

Thx lads! Keep em comin' :great:

*takes notes*...

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Perco_lator #9 Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:28 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11 battles

Only two tips for you Arrow

#1  Don't listen to anything Ace says about driving or anything else for that matter.

#2 When driving manual first learn to be smooth, once you've mastered that then you can learn to be fast.

"Come find me in the game, tough guy.  We'll see who knows stuff."

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #10 Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:38 AM

Captain

• 779 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostSenatorTH, on 18 September 2018 - 04:42 AM, said:

Sounds strange maybe, but it will be easier to learn manual driving in an older, much older car. It has few "bonuses" for learners:

1. Clutch has wider range of adhesion. To imagine it, let's pretend the pedal goes from 0-100. Then in a new car the distance from no-grip to full-grip will be 5-10. Mean when you're releasing the pedal, at position 50 it's still no-grip, and suddenly few millimeters later it grabs hard - when you're familiar with a stick and particular car, there's noprob, but for a newcomer it's tough. Old car or slipping clutch has much wider range, probably 15-20 or even more.

2. Less sound isolation. The better you hear the engine, the easier. Listen for its sound at 1500-3000rpm range - it sounds easy, after it comes to screaming, don't let it scream, you're not at dragstrip yet. Learn slight pulsating with your right leg, letting rpms wave from 1000 to 1500-1800 about once-twice per second. When you're able to do that easily without thinking about it, the only step remaining is to release clutch pedal slowly enough. Don't need to look at the meters. Btw, for the particular car have to find, at what exact point the clutch starts to grip - some do that at 20% of their motion, some at 60%, you never know.

Or just get a good teacher, then you'll learn it just in (pure time) couple hours. Years ago it took me 40min to teach my 12yo daughter, and after that she drove full circle on a racetrack and came back to parking spot on her 1st attempt, so that's a no brainer :D

lot's of good advice here

it took about 20 mins to show my 10yo daughter and 12 son how to drive a old 4x4 ford explorer...

it help to have a huge field, hehe

I say, when they know no other way to drive and watched me for years, kids pick it up quickly

View PostPerco_lator, on 18 September 2018 - 07:28 AM, said:

Only two tips for you Arrow

#1  Don't listen to anything Ace says about driving or anything else for that matter.

#2 When driving manual first learn to be smooth, once you've mastered that then you can learn to be fast.

whaaa??? learning to use a manual transmission takes a day at best

some people spend too much time trying to be smooth...

tear it up is the way to learn... yep,

and learn to replace clutch plates... hehe

skip this guy, he only has ... like... 11 games

this guy can give advice on these forums when he gets a few more battles

:popcorn:

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

ArrowZ_ #11 Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:13 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

View PostPerco_lator, on 18 September 2018 - 09:58 PM, said:

Oh I can be smooth Perkeh... :B

^ Lawl ace

Edited by ArrowZ_, 19 September 2018 - 04:14 AM.

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

CorvusCorvax #12 Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1938 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

OK, 40-year driver of manual transmission vehicles, of all kinds here.

It took me a couple of days to come to terms with using two feet for three pedals. But after you get used to what the machine is telling you, you'll wonder what the fuss was.  No, you will not be replacing a clutch, unless you ride with your foot on the clutch pedal (don't do that.)  The amount of wear you give it in the few days it will take to learn is equal to the wear you give it for the next year.  I have made clutches last in European cars for over 150k miles, and taught kids how to drive manual on those clutches.  They are simple and robust if you treat them even a little nicely.  Don't reserve money for transmission repair unless you are learning on a (pre-1987) Porsche. Those clutches and transmissions can be finicky and delicate if mistreated.  Teaching your leg where the initial friction point is and how much further travel there is for full engagement is about all it takes.  I currently own three manual cars, all with different engagement, take-up and clutch spring rates.  I sometimes forget that the car with the very early engagement has very early engagement.  LOL.

Because you play a somewhat complicated flight game, you understand how to listen to your machine and pay attention to what works, and what doesn't.  In what kind of vehicle are you learning manual transmission? 

ArrowZ_ #13 Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 19 September 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

In what kind of vehicle are you learning manual transmission? 

The Mitsubishi mirage (2012 i think). Tiny little thing. But very forgiving with my current newbie clutching mistakes heh...

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

J_57 #14 Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

Master Sergeant

• 962 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN
I think you need a nitro pack. I could be wrong, but hey!, give it a try.

trikke #15 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:21 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2514 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

'66 VW Bug...  bought it for $460 usd

listening to your dad scream again and again "Can't you feel that clutch!" for a solid hour = priceless 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

pyantoryng #16 Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:13 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1678 battles
Might need to pick it up one of these days...drivers are hard to come by...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Kiwiav8r #17 Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:52 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 603 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

When people are learning to use a clutch from a standing start, there is the one common error which causes bunny hopping or even a complete stall.  That is using the clutch in the exact opposite way you should.  Learners slowly ease out the clutch until the car starts to move and then dump it.  DO NOT DO THIS!

Try to come off the clutch smoothly but rapidly until the car starts to move then ease it out gradually over the next second or so.  Once you have the feel for it, then practice practice practice and you'll get away first time every time (unless you are in third when you think you are in first like I did the other day :hiding: ).

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

Captain_Underpants53 #18 Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 14273 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostKiwiav8r, on 18 October 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

When people are learning to use a clutch from a standing start, there is the one common error which causes bunny hopping or even a complete stall.  That is using the clutch in the exact opposite way you should.  Learners slowly ease out the clutch until the car starts to move and then dump it.  DO NOT DO THIS!

Try to come off the clutch smoothly but rapidly until the car starts to move then ease it out gradually over the next second or so.  Once you have the feel for it, then practice practice practice and you'll get away first time every time (unless you are in third when you think you are in first like I did the other day :hiding: ).

But then they learn the joys of redlining the engine and dumping the clutch.  Ah, good times. new tires, busted clutch, universal joint, etc.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users