Good GA for Practice

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Zaikadi #1 Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:32 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles

I bought my first Attack plane today, the TSh-2. I plan to use a GA occasionally and learn how to use them. Which tier of the Soviet line (between Tier II and Tier VI) would you recommend for a neophyte like me to learn the ropes? Is there a particular one that is good for its tier?

Thanks.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #2 Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:44 AM

Captain

• 779 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Il 2mod

Ilyushin IL-2mod - Intro to Attackers

https://www.youtube....h?v=VNJG1Lg90mI

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

LMG #3 Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2346 battles

One thing about the Soviet GAAs is that they keep getting better as you go down the line, with more firepower, more ordnance, and eventually better reargunners. Each one can teach you something, with the TSh-2 requiring speed control to do its job (and trying to get lucky fires), the TSh-3 working as an introduction to bombs (and blowing stuff up :playing:), BSh-2 having big cannons and forcing you to bombkill for self-defense. There's something to learn on each one, but as a bare minimum maybe the TSh-3 and the BSh-2 work best as the first actual soviet GAAs. The IL-2 is great too, but it comes a bit too late to "start" there :bajan:

If you can get the IL-2 (mod.) that can work too like Ace said. It's not great for its tier, being basically a worse IL-2 with a reargun, but it gets the job done just fine. I'd also link my GAA guide, but I think I did already on another thread you made

Edited by LMG, 12 September 2018 - 03:46 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

comtedumas #4 Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5836 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 11 September 2018 - 10:44 PM, said:

Il 2mod

Ilyushin IL-2mod - Intro to Attackers

https://www.youtube....h?v=VNJG1Lg90mI

agree,  but if you can’t afford it I would go with LBSh.  

Edited by comtedumas, 12 September 2018 - 03:46 AM.

xXx_BulletMagnet_xXx #5 Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:01 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1294 battles
Personally I had some level of success(3rd all-time) in Ground Targets destroyed and the #1 Starfing Mode Rating in an Bsh-1,also a soviet(premium) plane,all in the previous 1.9.3 mode!

Dru83 #6 Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2632 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
To just learn, I would recommend the Tsh-3 because it's the earliest GA that has bombs and a tail gunner. The tier 4 and 5 are a little trickier to play because they don't have a tail gunner. It's not until tier 6 that the Russia GAs start getting really awesome. When you're having fun in GAs, don't forget about the German line. The Tier 4 FW 189 is a great plane for learning learn how to play GAs.

Zaikadi #7 Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles

View PostDru83, on 12 September 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

When you're having fun in GAs, don't forget about the German line. The Tier 4 FW 189 is a great plane for learning learn how to play GAs.

I was thinking about this. Trikke also mentioned in a Youtube comment that s/he likes the German GAs.

What's the consensus among the rest of you? How does the Tier IV FW 189 C compare to its Soviet counterpart? I like the idea of Tier IV because I can participate in events at that level.

Edited by Zaikadi, 13 September 2018 - 03:44 AM.

SpiritFoxMY #8 Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:42 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3095 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Both the Soviet and German t4 GAAs are pretty good airplanes. The Eule has a tailgun and is faster but fewer hitpoints. BSh-2 us a bit of a sleeper and performs surprisingly well despite its raw stats.

After that, the two lines become night and day. The Germans start becoming faster and more agile, but terrible alpha strike capability while the Russians get slower and more ponderous but more and more bombs and rockets. At tier X the Russians are the most heavily armed and armored things in the sky while the Germans are fast and maneuverable for their class with an actually decent weapons load

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Zaikadi #9 Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles

So far, playing the GA sux. The plane itself is interesting to play, but my teams do nothing while I strafe bases. They don't support me or capture other bases. All losses so far.

0% WR with GAs. I go to a base, shoot out the AA, start attacking the buildings, we lose.

This is a delightful way to lower my WR even further.

Edited by Zaikadi, 13 September 2018 - 04:50 AM.

Zaikadi #10 Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles
Considering the BSh-2, I'm not sure that low-tier rear gunners are very necessary. I attack these GAs almost with impunity with my fighters. The rear gunners don't deter me much at all.

Edited by Zaikadi, 13 September 2018 - 04:24 AM.

LMG #11 Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2346 battles

View PostZaikadi, on 12 September 2018 - 11:08 PM, said:

So far, playing the GA sux. The plane itself is interesting to play, but my teams do nothing while I strafe bases. They don't support me or capture other bases. All losses so far.

0% WR with GAs. I go to a base, shoot out the AA, start attacking the buildings, we lose.

This is a delightful way to lower my WR even further.

First thing to learn about GAAs is that you should expect your team to completely ignore you. That's the sad reality of most multiplayer games, so better get ready for that. However, GAAs are made so that they can still cap sectors on their own. With that in mind, and considering that GAAs have a hard time hitting enemy aircraft by design, it's usually better to attack sectors with the least amount of enemies nearby. If everyone's dogpiling in the Airbase at the center, and there's a garrison wide open in the back, you should consider going to that Garrison before trying your luck at the Airbase.

Here's the link to my GAA Basics guide I mentioned earlier in case you didn't see it. I explain stuff like this, as well as give general tips on GAA self-defense, what your bombs and rockets are good for, what sectors you should give priority to, among other things: http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/51830-gaa-basics-aka-introduction-to-blowing-stuff-up-properly/

comtedumas #12 Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5836 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 12 September 2018 - 10:42 PM, said:

Both the Soviet and German t4 GAAs are pretty good airplanes. The Eule has a tailgun and is faster but fewer hitpoints. BSh-2 us a bit of a sleeper and performs surprisingly well despite its raw stats.

After that, the two lines become night and day. The Germans start becoming faster and more agile, but terrible alpha strike capability while the Russians get slower and more ponderous but more and more bombs and rockets. At tier X the Russians are the most heavily armed and armored things in the sky while the Germans are fast and maneuverable for their class with an actually decent weapons load

I agree, use the German Stuka and Ju-88P to learn precision with your guns.  That helps a lot.  And they are tech tree so getting them is just time spent in game.  

comtedumas #13 Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5836 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostZaikadi, on 12 September 2018 - 11:21 PM, said:

Considering the BSh-2, I'm not sure that low-tier rear gunners are very necessary. I attack these GAs almost with impunity with my fighters. The rear gunners don't deter me much at all.

wait until,they get more skill points, that starts to change some.  

Zaikadi #14 Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:18 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles

View PostLMG, on 13 September 2018 - 04:57 AM, said:

First thing to learn about GAAs is that you should expect your team to completely ignore you. That's the sad reality of most multiplayer games, so better get ready for that. However, GAAs are made so that they can still cap sectors on their own. With that in mind, and considering that GAAs have a hard time hitting enemy aircraft by design, it's usually better to attack sectors with the least amount of enemies nearby. If everyone's dogpiling in the Airbase at the center, and there's a garrison wide open in the back, you should consider going to that Garrison before trying your luck at the Airbase.

Here's the link to my GAA Basics guide I mentioned earlier in case you didn't see it. I explain stuff like this, as well as give general tips on GAA self-defense, what your bombs and rockets are good for, what sectors you should give priority to, among other things: http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/51830-gaa-basics-aka-introduction-to-blowing-stuff-up-properly/

Thanks for linking again. When you mentioned this guide in the other post, I tried to find your earlier reference but didn't see it. I'll read it.

I just had my first win with a GA (now TSh-3) after 7 straight losses. This time, my team was too good (probably the team I keep facing), and they capped all bases quickly. I could only participate in one and did less damage than in the other 7 battles. I still managed fourth in the roster and Elited the plane.

[Adendum] I just played a battle on a map with three sectors. I went to one, took out the white AA and dropped some bombs. The sector turned red, and about that point, I was shot down. I returned to the same sector, took out all the red AA, and continued to take out buildings. It stayed red. I kept destroying buildings. It stayed red. My team was wiped out (although they were better than most of the earlier teams), and I was the "last hope." I destroyed all but one building when the Defeat sign appeared with the sector still red. My plane survived. I had far more points than anyone else on my team, but I thought to myself, "What was the point of all of that? What an exercise in futility!" Apparently, I've got a lot to learn about this game.

Edited by Zaikadi, 13 September 2018 - 05:57 AM.

LMG #15 Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2346 battles

Did you go into a sector where the enemy and your allies were constantly fighting each other? If an allied plane dies within a sector you're trying to capture, it substracts the amount of Capture Points you've acquired, making it harder to secure. I personally try to avoid going wherever there's active combat for that reason, and to avoid unwanted attention from anyone looking for something to shoot at.

Aside of my GAA guide I also have recorded a number of videos while flying GAAs. Here's the link to my youtube channel in case you want to see how a GAA is usually flown somewhat effectively: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJS-qolrcB6D0pfq_tO8Xhw

pyantoryng #16 Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:17 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1678 battles

Soviet GAA are best in ground pounding work while German GAA trade some of that for more speed and handling.

Make sure to leave no targets damaged where possible, because you might get your kill stolen and your hard work contributing to your enemies during the initial contest, and remember that non-AA hard targets (square) are usually worth more points than soft (circles) targets. Even among AA the ones with hard targets are worth slightly more than the soft ones, but it's usually not worth it with low ordnance count (which will be rectified by the time you reach the IL-2).

You should keep an eye on what is happening around you and the sector you are in at all times - are there your team members dying around you rendering your hard work a futility? Are there any other ground pounders (bots or humans) attacking the same place? How many enemies are approaching/entered the sector? If you can understand how capture points flow, you should be able to visualize on how a sector can be captured efficiently and why your attacks are seemingly futile...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

MadJackChurchil #17 Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1308 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostZaikadi, on 12 September 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

I bought my first Attack plane today, the TSh-2. I plan to use a GA occasionally and learn how to use them. Which tier of the Soviet line (between Tier II and Tier VI) would you recommend for a neophyte like me to learn the ropes? Is there a particular one that is good for its tier?

Thanks.

Although you have not asked about that, go for German GAA instead. Its a sort of transition - you can kill ground quite well, but when you don't feel like groundpounding for a while, get some altitude and start killing clueless fighters... or soviet GAA... or low flying RB-17. Plus it takes you to lovely German bomber line.

Zaikadi #18 Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles

View PostMadJackChurchil, on 13 September 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

Although you have not asked about that, go for German GAA instead. Its a sort of transition - you can kill ground quite well, but when you don't feel like groundpounding for a while, get some altitude and start killing clueless fighters... or soviet GAA... or low flying RB-17. Plus it takes you to lovely German bomber line.

Actually, Mentioned it above, and I have now acquired one. Thanks.

WhiskeyInYourWater #19 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:19 AM

First Lieutenant

• 334 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

The higher the tier, the more different the Germans and the ILs become.

If you like the BOOM ... BOOM ... BOOM SPLOOOODE!!!, then the IL 20 is loads of fun. The tier 9 and 10 ILs are more ratta tatta ratta tatta ratta tatta SPLOOOODE.  I like the 20 the best as I simply like it.

The TSH 3 I think is the best beginner GAA.  Of course, almost all of my experience is pre 2.0.

The Germans have one main purpose only, IMHO, and that is to hunt ILs.

Edited by WhiskeyInYourWater, 14 September 2018 - 01:20 AM.

trikke #20 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:39 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2514 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostZaikadi, on 12 September 2018 - 11:28 PM, said:

I was thinking about this. Trikke also mentioned in a Youtube comment that s/he likes the German GAs.

What's the consensus among the rest of you? How does the Tier IV FW 189 C compare to its Soviet counterpart? I like the idea of Tier IV because I can participate in events at that level.

i'm defo a he!!!!

i flew the wings off the Eule (german for owl, i think) and enjoyed every minute!    i had to go cold turkey when it became my statistically most-flown plane

i think the forked tail helped my tailgunner, and caused the red planes to inadvertently aim for the empty space in the middle 

north of the eule were more fun GAs, some with big guns that can shoot almost a mile

pro tip - remember that the ground is magnetic, brother!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users