Questions About Bases & Restoring HPs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Zaikadi #1 Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:58 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles

I have had two things happen that have confused me related to bases.

1) I destroyed all of the planes (red and white) in a base and the base never turned to blue. My plane was the only one in the area, and it remained neutral or red. Why didn't it change over to my team?

2) My team took over a wrench airfield in the most recent battle, and there were no enemy red planes or white planes inside. My plane had about 40% of its health left, but it didn't restore. I tried flying over the center at low altitude and flying out and then back into the blue ring, but my health stayed at 155 HPs. In an earlier battle, all of my health was restored when I stayed within our blue wrench airfield. Why didn't the plane in the last game heal?

Thank you.

ArrowZ_ #2 Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:09 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

1. High altitude enemy bomber not being spotted but is bomb dropping GTs (one possibility)

Many people have tried to debunk a bugged theory with the "pie-chart" icon capturing mechanic. But ultimately it's just a simple case of lack of awareness of not being able to see what is being destroyed and the reaction of the capture points. I myself am prone to this. The UI is terrible design so that doesn't help. That's why I just stay with my team's mass and support the [edited]bots in taking caps instead of being all lonewolf in another sector.

2. From what I understand with this overly-flawed mechanic, is for you to heal at the designated altitude level, nothing else can't be healed on the airfield. Otherwise you won't get the effect. You absolutely must be the ONLY plane requiring the repair and nothing else. Considering the nature of bots (that includes blue bots too btw), this is quite troublesome so what I tend to do is just ignore the entire thing and just let it heal when it wants to. If I die I die. Kinda the whole point of respawns anyway. Plus you get more exp for dying more. Just not too much dying otherwise you'll end up losing more games and gaining less exp/silver.

Edited by ArrowZ_, 10 September 2018 - 07:12 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

LMG #3 Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2343 battles

1) To quote myself from another thread:

Block Quote

To capture a sector, you have to kill hostile aircraft or ground targets. Doing so gives you Capture Points, and once you get enough you get the cap. The bigger the target, the more points it gives. However, if you or any allied plane dies within the sector it "substracts" off the total of Capture Points you've accumulated, and that's critical considering most aircraft are worth more points than ground targets. So you might be getting points by destroying ground targets, but Jimmy getting rammed by the Heavy Air Defense Aircraft just took away most of the progress you made.

Most sectors usually don't have enough Air Defense Aircraft to capture it, which means you either have to destroy ground targets or kill any enemy aircraft within the sector boundary (aka, the circle on the minimap).

2) It's not the sector that repairs your aircraft, it's a small ground target within (aka, the wrench) and it looks like a heliport. Only airbases have this wrench ground target, and it can be destroyed by the enemy, which means planes will have to wait for it to respawn in order to get any repairs. Aside of that, you need to fly close to it to get repairs, I think within a radius of like 500 meters? If you see a wrench next to your plane's hp bar that means you're within range. If the wrench is red, then one of these things is going on:

• You recently fired your frontal guns or your turrets took at shot at something. Your aircraft won't be repaired if it has taken a shot in the past 5 seconds. In case you did, just wait the 5 seconds without firing or letting your reargun shoot at something.
  • There's an enemy nearby. From my experience, the range is very generous, so I think the enemy has to be within the 500 meter radius to block repairs.
  • YYou recently took damage. Same rules as firing your guns, you need to wait for 5 seconds after being hit to start repairing.

Aside of that, the only thing that can keep you from repairing your plane is if the wrench ground target was destroyed. You can tell because there's no wrench on the minimap, and if you fly near it you'll see it on fire. It's not that hard to kill either, but it does not give any capture points when you destroy it, so unless the enemy team's actively using it or you can't capture the sector don't bother killing it.

Edited by LMG, 10 September 2018 - 07:30 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

pyantoryng #4 Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:32 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1678 battles

Fill the circle fully (or empty the circle of red in case of enemy) to capture a sector. The problem is that someone on your team (or yourself) dying in the circle will push the progress back. Bots dying en masse over a sector with all targets and ADA destroyed essentially turn the sector invincible temporarily...unless you manage to lure enemies in and kill them above it

I can usually get repairs no problem because bots are often occupied with firing their guns and people just forgo repairing altogether...just fly low enough near the repair pad and watch your health go up. Once you get used to it you can consistently keep yourself in tip-top shape whenever you get access to those repair pads.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Greg_Pattinson #5 Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9212 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
LMG provided a pretty good answer I would just like to add one thing to the first question.  Military bases (rocket bases) only have two heavy air defence aircraft.  Killing both of them still doesn't give you enough capture points to flip the sector.  You will have to kill 2 additional ground targets if they are small like AA guns.  The center section of the base is worth a lot more and would give you way more than you need so probably not worth the time.  If you are in a pure fighter with no bombs or rockets you will have to wait for the air defence aircraft to respawn and kill both of them too.  This is generally a bad idea because you get chewed up by aa while you are waiting.  You could wait outside the circle and away from the aa guns but its still a waste of time.  I usually just move on to the next objective and let the bots finish it off or come back later. 

trikke #6 Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:36 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2514 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

we've never been told if the invisible 'repair airspace' is actually dome-shaped or upright cylinder-shaped, not that it makes much difference 

bombers rarely get to reap the repair benefits of the airbase that they just helped to capture, sadly

just my observations 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

pyantoryng #7 Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:51 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1678 battles

View Posttrikke, on 11 September 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

we've never been told if the invisible 'repair airspace' is actually dome-shaped or upright cylinder-shaped, not that it makes much difference 

bombers rarely get to reap the repair benefits of the airbase that they just helped to capture, sadly

just my observations 

Bombers have to descend to even use those, so they won't be using it much unless they're low to begin with.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

ArrowZ_ #8 Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:37 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles
I forgot about the repair pad thing. Interesting that you don't get any cap points for destroying it and only to the extent of denying the owning team of the airfield the ability to repair. You can add that to one of the many possibilities why this mechanic doesn't always work when you want it to. Knowing the timer when it respawns might also help but I haven't paid enough attention how often this occurs. Maybe someone can chime in with that piece of info. It may help in the future.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Zaikadi #9 Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles
Thanks a lot. I knew virtually none of this information. This will help a lot.

Edited by Zaikadi, 11 September 2018 - 07:12 AM.

trikke #10 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:57 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2514 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostZaikadi, on 11 September 2018 - 01:04 AM, said:

Thanks a lot. I knew virtually none of this information. This will help a lot.

when 2.x dropped last year, the devs trumpeted that they were 'simplifying' the game, to make it easier for new folks to learn to fly and become productive

am i mistaken, or is 2.x now more bewildering than 1.x ever was?

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users