I Don't Know, Guys, I'm Getting Frustrated

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Zaikadi #1 Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles

I have been enjoying this game, and I want to keep playing, but the losses are getting frustrating, especially if I'm grinding something. I play my heart out, get the top score on my team, shoot down 9-13 enemy planes, get a line of medals, but we lose 9/10 battles.

I normally take the center. If my bot team then takes some bases, I stay and defend the center, especially if it's a repair field. The enemy throws its planes at the center, and I engage them, giving the rest of the team the advantage in the other bases. These are the rare battles we win.

But most of the time, the entire map turns red very quickly, and my teammate bots don't seem to care. The red bots seem to care, though. Once I've captured one base, I run to another to turn it blue. I usually get that one, but when I take off for a third one, the first one has become red again. And so on. It's like I have to do all the capturing and defending by myself, and the sweater is unraveling as I knit it.

It's still fun, but also quite tiring and discouraging. And grinding takes twice as long.

LMG #2 Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2356 battles

Never trust your bots on getting the caps, and always expect the enemy bots to flip yours. Especially bot GAAs; they're horrid at getting anything done in a place with multiple AA guns (which is pretty much every sector ever). Even at higher tiers bots can randomly try to ram a heavy ADA, which can cost you the game right then and there. One of the issues with WoWP is that the population is so low and the bots can be so bad you often have to do everything on your own, at the same time, all over the map :ohmy:. I love the Me 109 TL I got from an operation order, but I often lose because I was too busy getting caps my GAAs can't get, killing enemy GAAs my bots can't kill, dogfighting fighters my fighters can't dogfight and recapping things my team can't keep :amazed:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

ArrowZ_ #3 Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:15 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

Best solution: Take a break. If you're really still into the game. Just step away for a few days or even a week. You will be surprised how much good this will do for you.

Personally I'd tell you to find another game... :D Because this MMO is really "dead" atm. I mean bots are interesting when you start with this game... but as you go along in weeks, months and reach your first year of playing WOWP, you instantly feel a sense of regret of the amount of time and resources you put into the game and how little the game itself has rewarded you for that amount of effort. Just my personal experience from years of playing WOWP.

But by all means stick with the game if you still enjoy it. Another good solution is to find a wingman to flight up. Mixes up the dynamics of the game a little and breaths a little life into this barren-lifeless MMO. Plus you get to socialize! :great:

Edited by ArrowZ_, 10 September 2018 - 06:16 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Bobby_Tables #4 Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4370 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Yes, I hear ya.  Played GA trying for the little 100 gold trinket.  Won 3 in like no time then the other 2 took me 2 days of effort.  Got a lot of medals and tokens but no victories.  It was frustrating as anything.  

I had a lot of good humans on the other side for some games.  Others, well... the human did nothing and the bots cleared the lot.  Shame on me for playing a GA I guess.  The current meta is play a Spitfire and you are all good.  

Yes, it is frustrating and you can clean up in terms of points and medals yet lose the game consistently.  I don't have an answer for you.  Some have figured it out, but it involves flights for the most part so if you are not in a flight, you are pretty much going to lose.  I do not do flights because I often take pauses in between games.  That means I lose a lot more than I should, but it's my choice. 

Good Luck...

Zaikadi #5 Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles

Thanks for the support.

I just can't understand why my bots are almost always worse than the enemy bots. And I know at least in some cases it's not the difference in the human players. One of these losses, I shot down the only human player on the red team three times and I survived the whole battle with 11 kills. He had few opportunities to help his bots.

I think doubling up is the only solution. At least it ensures another human player. The biggest win I had tonight (I think there were 2 or 3 in all) there was another human on my team.

[Last minute addition: I just finished a loss with one other human on the team, and he did very little]

Edited by Zaikadi, 10 September 2018 - 06:29 AM.

Cenotaph #6 Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2964 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Don't forget, we're back to Conquest soon... that outta help a bit.
I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:50 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3113 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Doubling up helps. Target priorities help. Knowing where to go when helps. I don't know how exactly you're playing so its a little hard for me to advise, but a couple of things spring to mind:

1) Command Centers and Missile Bases are the key. Command Centers in particular because they will solo-flip a cap if the enemy ignores them and it is possible for a regular light fighter to capture CCs without bot intervention. Kill all three ADAs and then strafe out the one light target that's all little white/red dots (not AA, mind you). That will be enough to cap the point so all you need is your bots to stay alive and soak the AA fire for you.

2) Missile Bases CAN be flipped too, but it takes far too long. If you're desperate (say you're on a map with two Missile Bases and only one or two other points), then you can go around strafing the large tent targets. If you're left alone and don't get swatted by AA, you can cap. Or more likely the ADAs will respawn and then you can kill one for the cap.

3) as LMG said - don't trust your bots to cap, don't trust the enemy's bots not to cap. Learn to identify weak spots on the map with this rule and you can take preventive action (there's a reason I like fast, highly mobile planes...). Is that Garrison about to fall? Can you make it back in time or will it be better to just take the offensive and hit one of their caps instead? Is there a glowing ball of Red Death camping somewhere? Work around it and pick off people who stray too far. Map awareness is pretty important like in any of the World of "..." series of games.

4) Remember the players and learn who needs to die and who can be safely ignored.

5) Find a regular flightmate. Honestly, I wouldn't have stuck around as long as I did without trikke flighting up with me every weekday.

6) Know the limits of your plane. This might seem obvious but today I had a P-40, Me410 and P-51A all try to turn with a Ki-61. I mean, seriously guys?

And as Arrow said, if the game is becoming frustrating, take a break. You might or might not come back - I know the lack of the feeling of improvement was what made me finally quit World of Tanks - but ultimately, the important thing is to have fun. I haven't seen you on much - what's your schedule like? I don't mind flighting up once in a while.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 10 September 2018 - 11:35 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

GonerNL #8 Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:10 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 780 battles
Did they ever consider combining the NA and EU servers ?? It sounds pretty bad on NA ... but EU is quite good at the moment.
Flying on EU and NA server

pyantoryng #9 Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:47 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1678 battles
I'd say leave the center to the bots and take the peripheries first while you can. You'll need all the trickle/multiplier you can get, and it usually takes some time for the enemies to actually reach your peripheries.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

ArrowZ_ #10 Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 10 September 2018 - 05:40 PM, said:

Did they ever consider combining the NA and EU servers ?? It sounds pretty bad on NA ... but EU is quite good at the moment.

It's the logical thing to do tbh. I've seen this happen to many Mmos in the past where one server region can't meet the expected population levels so one has to suffer more than the other in terms of latency for the sake of having more people to play with.

And NA has always been the lowest of the 3. Even now not much has changed since the past 5 years. Dead on weekdays. Mildly active on weekends and a little more during events. But to reach on equal population levels as EU or RU... You're dreamin'

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Reitousair #11 Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:01 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 7409 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Yeah getting frustrated is a pretty common thing here in WoWp. It can be infuriating to perform incredibly well in your aircraft only to look at the boards and see that you were the only one on your team to do better than 5k PP... and that's after the match, when everybody got a 1k PP bonus. Meanwhile half the enemy team were 6k+ PP.

MRF's kind of have a weird niche in high-tiers here on NA due to their ability to flip caps better than fighters while also defending better than heavy fighters/GA/bombers. While in high-populations they on average aren't very effective, in low-population matches you need speed, with the ability and gamesense to attack and defend areas. Can't spend too much time attacking nor defending.

Just remember as others have said, NEVER, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, think your bots can capture ANYTHING. Because once you use a strategy that relies on them being able to capture something, that's when you'll see them fail to capture anything.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Dru83 #12 Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2636 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

There's some great advice from LMG and SpiritFox in here. Zaikadi, it appears your mostly referring to the Conquest mode so I thought I'd try to come up with a couple tips for that.

In Conquest, you win when the points meter is full. If you have more caps, your meter fills quicker. I call this having the advantage. If your team has the advantage and the lead, then you can focus solely on defending your caps, even if the enemy still controls 2 or 3 caps. In this situation unless they take another cap, you win so there's no need to risk dying to get supremacy, simply watch the map and defend everywhere you can. If you can't defend something (because of altitude or being outnumbered) and you're going to lose it, then it might be time to attempt taking another cap. 

This is the kind of game where you have to act quickly to reverse who has the advantage. Obviously, there is a point in time where if you are down a certain number of points it becomes harder and harder to come back and the only thing that will prevent a loss is getting supremacy or killing all the enemy planes. So, if you lose the advantage and don't get it back quickly, there's a very good chance you're going to lose. So, quickly reversing the tide of battle is incredibly important.

One thing that often makes a difference is getting your first cap ahead of the enemy to start filling your meter first. This is especially important on maps with four caps because you will often be sitting in a neutral position with neither team having advantage, so the team who caps first gets the lead.

I think the number of caps on the map or more importantly the number of caps you hold should affect your decision to defend or attack. On maps with more caps, defending is less important because if you have two caps and lose one, there's still another cap. However, on a three cap map, if you have one cap and lose it, the game will be over shortly due to supremacy. This is an example of how just having a slight advantage in this game quickly makes things very hard for the team without the advantage.

On a 5 cap map, the question of whether to go for a center cap or an outer cap gets quite tricky. If you can take the center first, you have a pretty good chance of getting the advantage quickly if the rest of the team can take the outer caps without you. However, taking the outer caps first can often get that meter filling up sooner, which can also give you the advantage. In these instances, I often make the decision based on which cap my plane will have an easier job taking.

Well, I hope my ramblings help you somehow or at least provoke some more tips from the others here.

Captain_Underpants53 #13 Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 14316 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

I really like all these comments and suggestions.  I would only add that knowing the important bases is crucial, as Foxy said. 

But sometimes you get the bear and sometimes.................  Any way, I have had 20 game losing streaks.  It happens.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

hamhockjones #14 Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10215 battles
  Yes , just step away and plan on losing a bunch of games another day !!  lol

Shooter___McGavin #15 Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:23 AM

Airman Basic

• 2523 battles
  • [-GCR-] -GCR-

Hey Zaikadi,

Theres some good points here in the thread - id like to try something different to try and help.

Looking at your stats- and in particular, your average stats per sortie, I can see a couple of things that may help. 

According to your player profile, youre only killing on average 2.22 kills a sortie, and more importantly zero damage to ground targets per sortie. So, every time you die, you kill 2 this needs to be at least 3. You need to be concentrating on either surviving longer or doing more damage, preferably both. Your most played planes are the Ki line which are known to have low HP and easily catch on fire - maybe try some heavy fighters. Also, Some sectors like the mining plant need to be attacked via GAAs/bombers. If youre not gonna play GAAs then u need to protect them as they cap - mining plants win the game in most cases. 

Again, according to your player profile, your average experience is pretty low  at 849 XP per battle. Youre not completing the plane specific missions for a fighter - youre not  getting the chevrons for doing things fighters are supposed to do in a battle. Try killing planes when defending a sector more. Its pretty easy to do as a fighter and gets you more kills and more chevrons. 

I think the planes your playing are limiting your fun in the game. Not everything is about how quick you turn. You may discover that your a brilliant GAA player, or a monster in a heavy while hunting bombers. But you havnt tried it or explored how to do it properly - yet. 

Turn fighting is boring. Dont base your experience of the game on that alone. 

Link to your player profile 

https://worldofwarpl...193365-Zaikadi/

trikke #16 Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:22 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2531 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 10 September 2018 - 03:50 AM, said:

Doubling up helps. Target priorities help. Knowing where to go when helps. I don't know how exactly you're playing so its a little hard for me to advise, but a couple of things spring to mind:

1) Command Centers and Missile Bases are the key. Command Centers in particular because they will solo-flip a cap if the enemy ignores them and it is possible for a regular light fighter to capture CCs without bot intervention. Kill all three ADAs and then strafe out the one light target that's all little white/red dots (not AA, mind you). That will be enough to cap the point so all you need is your bots to stay alive and soak the AA fire for you.

2) Missile Bases CAN be flipped too, but it takes far too long. If you're desperate (say you're on a map with two Missile Bases and only one or two other points), then you can go around strafing the large tent targets. If you're left alone and don't get swatted by AA, you can cap. Or more likely the ADAs will respawn and then you can kill one for the cap.

3) as LMG said - don't trust your bots to cap, don't trust the enemy's bots not to cap. Learn to identify weak spots on the map with this rule and you can take preventive action (there's a reason I like fast, highly mobile planes...). Is that Garrison about to fall? Can you make it back in time or will it be better to just take the offensive and hit one of their caps instead? Is there a glowing ball of Red Death camping somewhere? Work around it and pick off people who stray too far. Map awareness is pretty important like in any of the World of "..." series of games.

4) Remember the players and learn who needs to die and who can be safely ignored.

5) Find a regular flightmate. Honestly, I wouldn't have stuck around as long as I did without trikke flighting up with me every weekday.

6) Know the limits of your plane. This might seem obvious but today I had a P-40, Me410 and P-51A all try to turn with a Ki-61. I mean, seriously guys?

And as Arrow said, if the game is becoming frustrating, take a break. You might or might not come back - I know the lack of the feeling of improvement was what made me finally quit World of Tanks - but ultimately, the important thing is to have fun. I haven't seen you on much - what's your schedule like? I don't mind flighting up once in a while.

all gems of helpful information above^^

the only thing that i can add...  here's how to know in advance if you'll do well in higher tiers, or against more experienced pilots  

ask yourself if you're good at games like chess, etc... the type of games where you have to think a couple of moves ahead to have a chance to win

i am not good at those games at all... i'm the poster child for ADD, whatever flies right in front of me grabs my attention 

which is why i'll forever be a 50% pilot... i can't see the ever-evolving bigger picture, i can't prioritize caps or targets, i can't see tendencies, i don't spot weaknesses  

but flighting up with a patient partner has made a world of difference for me, but almost nothing for them, sadly   

i've had several excellent partners, but my good friends SpiritFoxMY and Toggle have taught me the game's brutally important intangibles 

and i'm forever grateful 

so...  send a request to join a clan, any clan       get a headset, join their teamspeak/discord/etc, introduce yourself to everybody, buy a round for the house

meet some new buddies and share your experiences 

but this game's not for everyone, it's easily the toughest of the WG trilogy to learn and to excel 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

ArrowZ_ #17 Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:45 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

View Posttrikke, on 11 September 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

it's easily the toughest of the WG trilogy to learn and to excel 

I still think tanks is hard...:hiding:

And don't get me started with ships. Like the amount of time to get them ships moving, get in position, get your guns in position... firing... moving again to dodge torpedoes... Gad.

It's probably just me heh...

Edited by ArrowZ_, 11 September 2018 - 04:45 AM.

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Zaikadi #18 Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:31 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles
Wow, this was a very helpful set of responses, all of them. I will digest them and do what I can to implement them. There is so much info that I haven't been able to find from WG about how this game works. Thanks for taking the time to write useful advice to make my gaming experience better.

Zaikadi #19 Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:33 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles

View PostArrowZ_, on 11 September 2018 - 04:45 AM, said:

I still think tanks is hard...:hiding:

And don't get me started with ships. Like the amount of time to get them ships moving, get in position, get your guns in position... firing... moving again to dodge torpedoes... Gad.

It's probably just me heh...

This is why I play destroyers. They have mobility and torpedoing is fun. Of all the WG games, I play destroyers perhaps the best.

Zaikadi #20 Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:43 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1031 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 10 September 2018 - 07:50 AM, said:

I haven't seen you on much - what's your schedule like? I don't mind flighting up once in a while.

Actually, I play every day. I've played 366 battles in about three weeks. I'm just coming off a few battles right now. I live in California, so I'm Pacific Time. During the week, I play between the hours of about 8:30 PT and 11:00.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users