NEW MOVIE - 'UNBREAKABLE SPIRIT' - WWII CHINA - WG NEEDS TO OFFER ANOTHER MISSION SERIES FOR...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Should WG coordinate a mission for a new Chinese aircraft by promoting the new movie "Unbreakable Spirit"? (22 members have cast votes)

Should WG coordinate a mission for a new Chinese aircraft by promoting the new movie "Unbreakable Spirit"?

1. No - that sounds boring and really stupid. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Yes - do the same thing they did with the last Hurricane Ia missions. (16 votes [72.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

3. I don't care either way - Chinese planes at lower tiers don't interest me. (6 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Innokenty #1 Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1272 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

As they did with the release of 'Hurricane', WG/WOWP needs to offer up another mission challenge for a Chinese aircraft depicted in the movie. Why not? Their last effort got attention from current and new players.

Watch the trailer here: https://www.argunner...g-bruce-willis/

There are quite a few unique and odd (interesting) aircraft used in 1937 by the Chinese Nationalist Air Force. Even if not depicted in the movie, they would be good additions for tiers II-V. SERIOUSLY, some of the models for these aircraft (I-16) already exist in the game, so why not tweak them a bit and give them a Chinese skin?

Many Options:

Fiat CR.32

Polikarpov I-153 Chaika

Fiat CR.30

Gloster Gladiator

Polikarpov I-16 (with Chinese markings for the China line)

Dewoitine D.500

lyushin DB-3 (bomber)

Vultee P-66 Vanguard

Northrop A-17 (attack plane)

Martin B-10 (bomber)

dark.png

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2794 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

This was kinda my Chinese fighter whishlist. So the last few planes are paper planes and speculation at best but meh - I want to see the RoCAF properly represented considering they were really the first to fight in what became the Second World War and produced America's first Ace.

Tier I : Liuchow Kwangsi Type 3

Tier II : Curtiss Model 68

Tier III : Hawk 75 A-5

Tier IV : Curtiss-Wright CW-21

Tier V : P-66 Vanguard

Tier VI : Chu XP-0

Tier VII: AFAMF XP-1

Tier VIII: AFAMF XP-2

Tier IX: CXP-102/Gloster E.1/44

Tier X: CXP-1001

And, as you said, Chinese skins for other existing airplanes - they have a Spanish Republican skin for the I-16 already

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

GonerNL #3 Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:07 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 696 battles

View PostInnokenty, on 09 September 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:

Martin B-10 (bomber)

+1 vote

If they include a skin for the Dutch east Indies Air Force ...

https://i.imgur.com/Ps5Rk9W.jpg

also Curtiss-Wright CW-21

http://www.juniorgen...n/CW21demon.GIF

and Hawk 75 A-5

http://img.wp.scn.ru.../pics/144_4.jpg

Edited by GonerNL, 09 September 2018 - 09:33 AM.

Flying on EU and NA server

Chunky_Cleb #4 Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:11 AM

Senior Airman

• 2068 battles
  • [LEGIX] LEGIX
Seeing those Fiats listed above made me think about the Italians. Perhaps WG should also consider a line of Italian aircraft from the WWII era..and while we're at it...why not add a bomber to the Japanese line ( Betty) and perhaps some heavy bombers to the U.S.( B-17 & B-24 )  & British ( Lancaster ) lines?????

Chunky_Cleb #5 Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:12 AM

Senior Airman

• 2068 battles
  • [LEGIX] LEGIX

Oh...I almost forgot....what about the famous Dauntless Divebomer(U.S.)?????

J311yfish #6 Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 873 battles
  • [343] 343
A few years ago John Woo announced a 'Flying Tiger' movie but it has yet to materialize.

Tech tree projects:  JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  //  ITALY    FRANCE  //  SWEDEN    Finland (skins)    Poland    China    Brazil    UNITED STATES   GERMANY

Map proposals:  Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover  //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial How to ignore forum posts and signatures

hoom #7 Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3880 battles
I VOTED YES BECAUSE FREE PLANE IS FREE AND WHY ARE WE USING ALLCAPS?
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #8 Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:13 PM

Captain

• 676 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Posthoom, on 09 September 2018 - 04:57 AM, said:

I VOTED YES BECAUSE FREE PLANE IS FREE AND WHY ARE WE USING ALLCAPS?

+1 for proper use of nonsense

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

trikke #9 Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2276 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

liked the trailer, it's good to see Bruce Willis getting some work...   

i'll have to go see it alone, i'll betcha      my wife will think that it's a ridiculous movie

first time that i've seen the Po i-16 in any ww2 movie...   same for most of the other planes, actually 

a partnership sounds like a great idea!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

J311yfish #10 Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 873 battles
  • [343] 343

View PostInnokenty, on 09 September 2018 - 01:38 AM, said:

As they did with the release of 'Hurricane', WG/WOWP needs to offer up another mission challenge for a Chinese aircraft depicted in the movie. Why not? Their last effort got attention from current and new players.

Watch the trailer here: https://www.argunner...g-bruce-willis/

There are quite a few unique and odd (interesting) aircraft used in 1937 by the Chinese Nationalist Air Force. Even if not depicted in the movie, they would be good additions for tiers II-V. SERIOUSLY, some of the models for these aircraft (I-16) already exist in the game, so why not tweak them a bit and give them a Chinese skin?

Many Options:

Fiat CR.32

Polikarpov I-153 Chaika

Fiat CR.30

Gloster Gladiator

Polikarpov I-16 (with Chinese markings for the China line)

Dewoitine D.500

lyushin DB-3 (bomber)

Vultee P-66 Vanguard

Northrop A-17 (attack plane)

Martin B-10 (bomber)

I have enthusiasm too for a Chinese tech tree, not because I am Chinese, or fond of China or Chinese planes, but because there is an opportunity to tell a very rich history (described here).  Unfortunately an opportunity was missed, starting with the release of the Curtiss Hawk III as a premium.

I have not seen any sources to verify the claim that the Northrop A-17 served in China.  It is probably the Northrop Gamma instead (details here under 'omitted').

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 09 September 2018 - 02:01 AM, said:

This was kinda my Chinese fighter whishlist. So the last few planes are paper planes and speculation at best but meh - I want to see the RoCAF properly represented considering they were really the first to fight in what became the Second World War and produced America's first Ace.

Tier I : Liuchow Kwangsi Type 3

Tier II : Curtiss Model 68

Tier III : Hawk 75 A-5

Tier IV : Curtiss-Wright CW-21

Tier V : P-66 Vanguard

Tier VI : Chu XP-0

Tier VII: AFAMF XP-1

Tier VIII: AFAMF XP-2

Tier IX: CXP-102/Gloster E.1/44

Tier X: CXP-1001

And, as you said, Chinese skins for other existing airplanes - they have a Spanish Republican skin for the I-16 already

The aircraft highlighted in orange above are reasonable:

-- Curtiss Model 68 is also known as the Curtiss Hawk III which appears in-game as a premium (gift plane about 5 years ago, and possibly sold in premium shop since then)

-- Curtiss-Wright CW-21 Demon has a tier IV engine, and appeared around the same time as the A6M1 which is also tier IV.

-- Vultee P-66 Vanguard has a tier V engine.

The remaining aircraft are dubious at best:

-- Liuchow Kwangsi Type 3 (07/1937) had a 260hp British engine and was discontinued after 1 prototype due to poor performance.  There are many alternatives at tier I with better engines that don't break chronology.

-- Hawk 75A-5 would be tier IV (1 pattern aircraft built); but the actual aircraft built was the XP-0 from remaining 75A parts (1 prototype + 9 built).

-- tier VI-VIII = high fiction.  XP-0 would be tier IV at best, XP-1 no better than V, and there is zero information in English on XP-2 other than that the project was thought to exist.

-- tier IX-X = the Shenyang JL-1A-37 premium (tier VIII), for which there is approximately zero information in English, is based on the CXP-102/CXP-1001/Gloster E.1/44 project.

Tech tree projects:  JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  //  ITALY    FRANCE  //  SWEDEN    Finland (skins)    Poland    China    Brazil    UNITED STATES   GERMANY

Map proposals:  Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover  //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial How to ignore forum posts and signatures

SpiritFoxMY #11 Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2794 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Yeah, I know. But the problem is that China would otherwise be a rehash of existing American and Soviet planes. And it isn't like Wargaming is above introducing vehicles that were otherwise scribbled on the back of a pizza box on a Sunday night. Maybe after they've introduced other stuff.

Also, I believe the JL-1A-37 is based on the Shenyang JJ-1 basic trainer of which at least two were produced rather than the CXP blueprints which, as far as I can tell, never actually left Gloster.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 09 September 2018 - 04:23 PM.

FIight #12 Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:14 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 4145 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 09 September 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

Yeah, I know. But the problem is that China would otherwise be a rehash of existing American and Soviet planes. And it isn't like Wargaming is above introducing vehicles that were otherwise scribbled on the back of a pizza box on a Sunday night. Maybe after they've introduced other stuff.

Also, I believe the JL-1A-37 is based on the Shenyang JJ-1 basic trainer of which at least two were produced rather than the CXP blueprints which, as far as I can tell, never actually left Gloster.

​The designer of JJ-1 studies in Britain and worked in Grumman. You can see it's different from all the rest of US/USSR planes and it's actually pretty similar to Attacker which came out after the war. Besides, it would be quite difficult to make a non-premium tech tree since the overlap with US/USSR might be too large.

SpiritFoxMY #13 Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2794 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostFIight, on 10 September 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

​The designer of JJ-1 studies in Britain and worked in Grumman. You can see it's different from all the rest of US/USSR planes and it's actually pretty similar to Attacker which came out after the war. Besides, it would be quite difficult to make a non-premium tech tree since the overlap with US/USSR might be too large.

Well, we weren't expecting non-premium Chinese tanks back in the day. Now we have a whole line of Unicorn tanks that existed only as vague ideas at the back of some bureaucrat's filing cabinet.

Xr901 #14 Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3385 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 10 September 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

Well, we weren't expecting non-premium Chinese tanks back in the day. Now we have a whole line of Unicorn tanks that existed only as vague ideas at the back of some bureaucrat's filing cabinet.

Huh? what? I don't understand this? You're saying that some of the Chinese TD line actually existed as illegible scribbles on the back of a napkin before Wargaming dreamt them up? :P

Yeah I have to agree though, there's scope for a lot of modifications of soviet and US planes that existed as "ideas" in china (as long as they have chinese markings and appear in a chinese tech tree) after all, it's a big market, so I wouldn't say that a regular chinese tech tree is out of the question. Besides, if they're lacking, they can just take another nation's planes, slap chinese markings on them and call them chinese like they did with the T8-10 japanese fighters.

SonicPariah #15 Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:38 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 427 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX
We would love to see that collaboration! Hopefully it is something we can get in the works, but I am not certain how or if it would be possible. Maybe after the release?

Innokenty #16 Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1272 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
SONICPARIAH -- That would be great, but did you really coordinate with the HURRICANE movie folks or just sync your challenge with a plane offering? Either way would be fine even if you can't actually collaborate by way of the movie producers.
dark.png

SonicPariah #17 Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:13 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 427 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

View PostInnokenty, on 13 September 2018 - 05:30 AM, said:

SONICPARIAH -- That would be great, but did you really coordinate with the HURRICANE movie folks or just sync your challenge with a plane offering? Either way would be fine even if you can't actually collaborate by way of the movie producers.

Honestly, I did not have a part of it. However, our EU Marketing Team was definitely in touch with the Studio in charge of the movie and we worked out a deal and agreement with them prior to the movie release.

trikke #18 Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2276 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSonicPariah, on 13 September 2018 - 04:13 PM, said:

Honestly, I did not have a part of it. However, our EU Marketing Team was definitely in touch with the Studio in charge of the movie and we worked out a deal and agreement with them prior to the movie release.

makes sense... 

nobody can just 'coordinate' merchandise with the release of a movie without getting sued, because money

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users