Discussion: Setting up a Japanese light fighter.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

hawkeyededic #1 Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:10 AM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 956 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

This week lets broaden the discussion to cover an entire nation. When setting up a Japanese fighter how do you prefer to do it.

Guidelines for this discussion is to limit it to both Japanese tech trees and premium light fighters , tier II thru VII for the Navy planes and tier II thru X for the Army planes. Open for discussion are pilot skills, consumables and equipment. For the sake of this discussion the J8M will not be considered as part of it as it is a very different beast. This plane maybe covered in a discussion of it's own later on.

Although I have the IJA line up to tier 9 and the IJN line up to tier 6, and a handful of premiums I have played the Japanese planes very little since 2.0 came out. Therefore I will not comment on them myself at this time as my knowledge base on them maybe outdated as I did almost all of my grinding in them during 1.x.x.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

Martymart1976 #2 Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3940 battles
  • [FK] FK
Don't forget to pack a fire extinguisher.  Did I forget to mention a fire extinguisher? 

ArrowZ_ #3 Posted 26 August 2018 - 02:23 PM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

Pilot Skills:

• Battle Hardened
  • Fire Resistance (passive)
  • Engine gurus 1+2
  • Aerodynamics Expert
  • Evasive Target or Cruise Flight
  • Marksman 1+2

Consumables:

• If you have 2 slots in Air frame have one as Fire resistance. Stacks with the pilot skill passive.
  • Engine Restarter
  • Fire Extinguisher or First Aid
  • Standard or Premium Ammo

Equipment:

• Gunsights
  • Lightweight Wing frame or Polished Skin (both if 2 slots available)
  • Uprated Engine or Engine Boost/Turbine (both if 2 slots available)

My best picks imo for a setup. It's more of an all-rounder fire survavibility build with speed+agility mixed into it. Pilot skills are more of a preference but stuff like engine gurus and aeroD expert is a must for these planes. Without them you'll be a floating balloon if you try to climb outside of your ALT green zone. Definitely should pick up the fire resistance consumable as that will negate alot of the inherent fire damage problem these paper planes have. Even better when combined with the pilot skill passive as already mentioned. Equipments are a no brainer. You want to keep up with stuff trying to run away from your zero whilst also improving the TnB capability even more just incase you run into an identical paper plane zero bot or player. What will help the most is the 2 options of engine equipments. Haven't experienced the ultimate effects of both but I have a feeling the engine boost/gas turbine one might give more of a benefit than the uprated engine.

Boost mechanics in this game has always been quite of an instant reactive result. You gain surplus speed in a short amount of time while you still have boost available and during that time your aircraft accelerates much faster. The effect is greater on jets in the higher tiers. Imagine what an Ultimate Engine Boost will do to this mechanic. Luckily they haven't touched it yet in 2.0.6 as an excuse to "re-balance" equipments. As if they need to tamper with more crap that they haven't already messed with. But if you want to be safe Uprated Engine is an all-round good choice because it'll keep your speed up higher than anyone else in your team that doesn't have it without boost. What it does at ultimate I still have yet to find that out.

Sorry long post... oops. The list is more than enough. The experiment & testing is up to you. GL! :)

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

wylleEcoyote #4 Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1689 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS
Have you considered replacing the passive fire reduction skill for the universal active fire removal skill?
the one that triggers by making a sharp turn along any 2(out of Roll, Yaw, or Pitch) axis of rotation?
Because after trying to shoot at them for the past 6 months or so, if there is anything a japanese plane can do it is turn on a dime ...

Dont get me wrong. The passive is great for what it does. I just feel it is better used in a plane that can not make a sufficiently sharp turn on its own.

hawkeyededic #5 Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 956 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 26 August 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

Have you considered replacing the passive fire reduction skill for the universal active fire removal skill?
the one that triggers by making a sharp turn along any 2(out of Roll, Yaw, or Pitch) axis of rotation?
Because after trying to shoot at them for the past 6 months or so, if there is anything a japanese plane can do it is turn on a dime ...

Dont get me wrong. The passive is great for what it does. I just feel it is better used in a plane that can not make a sufficiently sharp turn on its own.

I myself have used fire fighting on my A6M5, works really well for putting fires out. I put out two in a matter of seconds, but the third fire I was unable to extinguish before it burned me up, yes I caught fire about 3 times in less then 30 seconds. These planes light up so easy that I'm thinking a fire resist build wouldn't be a bad thing. Both 1 point skills along with the consumable, if my math is right it should push the fire resistance rating up to right around 43ish.

I also picked up Evasive Target early on the A6M5 as well, it's already a really squirrel target to hit so it doesn't feel to me like those 3 points are really out of place. Yeah I could make the plane turn better, but why when there is very little that can stay with it already. Keeping in mind I am just getting started on this plane, but I am experimenting a little with it, equipment at this point is sight and light weight wings. My plan at this point is to get the fire resist passive next followed by  Battle Hardened. At this point it is going to be a while before I get the plane specialized so with only 1 equipment slot the effects of Aerodynamics Expert are kind of minimal really. I will worry about Aerodynamics expert later once I have the plane specialized and can use the other 2 equipment slots.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

ArrowZ_ #6 Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:04 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 27 August 2018 - 02:58 AM, said:

Unreliable and doesn't always works as is intended by design. Technically the moment you start using almost near 100% full deflection on any axis it should turn ON immediately and stay on during that time. It starts to play up when you switch direction, change rolls or pitch where this skill all of a sudden stops working for some unknown reason and takes a while to come back up. All the while you're still TnB'ing in donuts. You'd think it's better in a zero but this happens to all aircraft regardless of the category. So it's best to permanently reduce any fire status effects including damage over time effects by using passives.

Ofcourse if you have the skill points to spare or you  got the credits to reset skill points, definitely pick it up as it will be one additional defense against any potential fire status effects. Don't forget you'll also most likely choose to have a fire extinguisher consumable on most of these paper plane aircraft which is infinite in use with a CD timer. Just gotta avoid using it too much cuz then you'll have a consumable slot that's always in use & also in CD. Doesn't help that most of the IJN aircrafts even the nimblier KIs at higher tiers are really easy to pin down and crit their modules for big damage rolls & setting them on fire really easily.

That's why it's not a bad idea to build some agility into these planes coupled with pilot skills like evasive target and battle hardened on top of some speed equips. Atleast it'll give you a fighting chance incase you do get jumped by something with big guns.

Edited by ArrowZ_, 28 August 2018 - 01:05 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

J311yfish #7 Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 832 battles
  • [343] 343
より良い方法があります

Tech tree projects:  JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  //  Italy    France  //  Sweden    Finland (skins)    Poland    China    Brazil    UNITED STATES   GERMANY

Map proposals:  Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover  //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial How to ignore forum posts and signatures

trikke #8 Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2260 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

what a great topic for a new guys forum!

do another!   do another!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

hawkeyededic #9 Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:10 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 956 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Posttrikke, on 28 August 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

what a great topic for a new guys forum!

do another!   do another!

I plan to start at least one new topic each week, depending on how the previous discussion plays out.

Reitousair #10 Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6334 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Fire resistance is a must-have for all Japanese fighters, whether that be through consumables, equipment, or pilot skills.

On tier 2-6 LF's I would recommend cruise speed paired with the Fire-Resistance skill and exhaust bleed consumable, having A6M's being able to chase low-alt P-40's without needing to boost much is a pretty hilarious thing to watch but they badly need a lot of fire resistance to compensate for an uprated engine and the lack of armor on Japanese fighters. After getting a lot of fire-resistance and cruise speed, you can pretty much build them however you want after that.

Tier 7 is where there's a bit of a divide, and I'll get a bit more in-depth:

A7M: Gunsight, reinforced skin, polished skin, uprated engine (you're going to want some durability now, while still trying to remove your mildly low cruise)

Dressing kit, control assist, exhaust bleed, engine restarter (+ ammo of your choice, but this is a fairly aggressive set of consumables that can work due to armor)

Fire-resistance, aerodynamics expert, aerobatics expert (I mainly focus on first 5 points, helps to boost your speed while giving you a boost to controllability)

Ki-84: *both are viable*, reinforced skin, reinforced airframe, engine armor (the IJA line has incredibly poor durability, more so than IJN planes, you NEED armor)

Dressing kit, emergency control system, exhaust bleed, *all viable* (focusing heavily on durability, but the engine consumable can be used to lessen your speed penalty)

Fire-Resistance, Battle-Tested, Protection Expert (again, you are in desperate need of durability here, this will make you pretty tanky)

With IJA planes you can basically just run the same build but tack on whatever you want for your second engine equipment slot. Of course in random battles a speed or maneuverability build can work, but when the fighting gets heavy between players having a full-tank build on a Ki-162-I can catch many people off guard. You don't even lose turn time, you just lose controllability so it's harder to enter turns, but you'll turn just the same once you get into a turn proper. I have rammed an F2H player in my Ki-162-I with him going down and me living, we were both in near mint condition during the collision as well. 

I guess just in general, durability only really matters against enemies who can aim, even if you're in a full maneuverability build that will do you no good against a good marksman. However when you are up against an enemy who can put up a real fight, your fragile Japanese fighter won't do too well when it can get 1-passed by Mustangs, let alone something with bigger guns. For PvP in higher tiers, you're going to need to be able to trade blows, which is something Japanese planes cannot do when stock.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Zaikadi #11 Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 754 battles

I'm a new player that just started up the IJA line (George Frank is my goal, Tier IV so far), and this thread is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by Zaikadi, 01 September 2018 - 04:12 AM.

SpiritFoxMY #12 Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2747 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostZaikadi, on 01 September 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

I'm a new player that just started up the IJA line (George is my goal, Tier IV so far), and this thread is much appreciated.

Thank you.

George isn't in the tree. Tier 7 is Frank and 8 is the Ki-94-ii, an incomplete prototype at the end of the war.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Zaikadi #13 Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:49 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 754 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 01 September 2018 - 01:16 AM, said:

George isn't in the tree. Tier 7 is Frank and 8 is the Ki-94-ii, an incomplete prototype at the end of the war.

Hey, that's right. I always get those two mixed up. Anyway, Frank looks better. Edited.

Edited by Zaikadi, 01 September 2018 - 04:13 AM.

GonerNL #14 Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:10 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 696 battles
I still have a 'problem' with the Ki-94-II and A7M ; they look way to big in hangar and airfield ... compared to other Jap fighters they look huge. Something wrong with scaling ??
Flying on EU and NA server

SpiritFoxMY #15 Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2747 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
They both measure in at two meters longer in length and span and over a meter more in height. I don't think its the scale

GonerNL #16 Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 696 battles

View PostReitousair, on 30 August 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

more so than IJN planes, you NEED armor)

I'll have to try that sometime ... so far I put manoeuvrability in first place for all equipment on Japanese planes.

The bit of extra protection that armored equipment gives, is not as important IMHO as being the most manoeuvrable plane in the air. Nobody can out-turn me and the BnZ & heavies with their cannons can kill me form a distance anyway ... armor or not.

Flying on EU and NA server

Zaikadi #17 Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 754 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 03 September 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

I'll have to try that sometime ... so far I put manoeuvrability in first place for all equipment on Japanese planes.

The bit of extra protection that armored equipment gives, is not as important IMHO as being the most manoeuvrable plane in the air. Nobody can out-turn me and the BnZ & heavies with their cannons can kill me form a distance anyway ... armor or not.

I tend to agree with this observation, but take my opinion with a grain of salt.

trikke #18 Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2260 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostZaikadi, on 31 August 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

I'm a new player that just started up the IJA line (George Frank is my goal, Tier IV so far), and this thread is much appreciated.

Thank you.

you'll love the Hien (Tony) and the Hayate (Frank)...  the Hien flies similar to the Me109 line, but the Hayate is just a badass bully

sadly, you'll have to suffer through the two Hayabusas to get there...  both are matchboxes soaked in kerosene

you're welcome

Edited by trikke, 06 September 2018 - 09:18 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Zaikadi #19 Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:20 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 754 battles

It looks like my final setup (for the near future) will be a Ki-84, a Ki-61 (so far upgraded and grinding for Ki-84), and the A6M3 (exp) that I just bought two days ago. The A6M3 has been excellent.

The Ki-61 pilot (with Evasive Target) will stay in the Ki-61; the current A6M3 pilot (who just acquired Evasive Target) will go to the Ki-84. The A6M3 will be my skill grinder for both pilots.

SpiritFoxMY #20 Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2747 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I equipped my Chinese Hayabusa for tankiness last night and while it was durable, I cannot stand the twin 12.7s :/ 

I need my big boomsticks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users