What is the best tier to learn the game

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Yaguarete100 #1 Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:13 AM

Airman Basic

• 130 battles

Greetings

I am a new player with just a few battles at tier one.  My question is about progressing through the tiers.  In WoT I learned about the game at tiers 4 and 5, Is there such a tier range in WoWP where it would be wise to spend time and resources?  I think I will follow the Mig line, from what I have been able to read in the forums it is an ok choice.

Thanks in advance

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:26 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5051 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I would recommend tier 4 as a good learning tier. The basics are there and all the various national and aircraft characteristics start to show up at that tier. You also tend to have more players as well, so its also a pretty fun tier to hang around. The downside is that you have people like me who see tier 4 as a legitimate "this is no longer sealclubbing" playground so be prepared to run into veterans looking to complete their dailies or just faffing around for kicks. Tier 5 works too but then you start running into Spitfires and you'd better believe that you're going to get your [edited]spanked when you run up against those.

I've found the MiG line to be erratic with a lot of highs and lows along the way but the tier X is worth it (or so I've been told; I'm only at tier 9 for this tree right now). Its one of the three "Ms" of high altitude fighters: Migs, Mustangs and Messers so expect great vertical performance and energy characteristics but don't get drawn into a turning fight with Spits, Kis and Zeros. 

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 19 August 2018 - 04:27 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Cenotaph #3 Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
4 to 6
I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

pyantoryng #4 Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:17 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2228 battles

If you're taking the MiG route you might as well start at where the MiG name start to appear - 5. The I-17 leading to it is still in the mainline Soviet paradigm of low alt turnfighting.

But yes, generally tier 4 is a good place to start as most mainline characteristics start to appear there...usually more than one player a match too. Although, WoWP's earning system means that you can even float around at tier 10 and be profitable as long as you cut your expenses.

Edited by pyantoryng, 19 August 2018 - 01:46 PM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

ArrowZ_ #5 Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

Concur on Tier 4. Great learning tier. Some good choices for premiums too if you want to farm silver.  But I prefer higher tier premiums for higher rates.

Don't like tier 5 much any more. I blame that on the devs. Too much screwing around with balance. Tiers 6 is where you kinda need to start knowing your aircrafts strengths and weaknesses. And that comes along from playing Tiers 4 & 5.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Yaguarete100 #6 Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

Airman Basic

• 130 battles
Thanks a lot to everyone for the fast response.  So tier 4 it is, I look forward to seeing u in the battlefield.

Dru83 #7 Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:03 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3738 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

I agree that tier 4 is definitely the place where the game expands a lot and it is a good place to get your feet wet. In tier 4, we start to have more heavies, german GAs, and most importantly, a lot more boom and zoom aircraft. However, I think it is important to spend some time in tier 3 also because it's a bit more simpler and easier to learn in. As mentioned above, because daily +1 token medal rewards are limited to tier 4 and above, a lot of veterans including myself stick to tier 4 when getting low tier dailies, so there's a much better chance of bumping into someone with more experience than you in tier 4. Though eventually, dealing with better players is what makes you a better player too.

Since I championed tier 3, the best use of tier 3 I think is to learn how to boom and zoom and how to make a difference while flying a GA. I would use the Tier 3 German heavy, the fw 57, to learn booming and zooming as it's one of only a few BnZers at Tier 3. The Tsh-3 is a good way to learn playing GAs at tier 3. If you have the tier 3 Blenheim bomber, tier 3 is a great place to learn flying bombers as well.

OP, since you mentioned the Mig line, be aware that the Migs use a more vertical version of the boom and zoom playstyle. I have the tier 7 in the mig line and while they are a lot of fun, it takes some time to get used to them, especially the tier 6 that has weak firepower.

Edited by Dru83, 19 August 2018 - 07:03 PM.

Captain_Underpants53 #8 Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:43 AM

Captain

• 25349 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
I would stick to the lower 3 tiers, myself.  Get your 'My Light Fighter can destroy Ground Targets using its' powerful guns'  out of your system.  There is hardly a day goes by that I don't run into someone on Tier VI doing this!  A recipe for a loss.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Animal_of_Pryale #9 Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:26 AM

Master Sergeant

• 4598 battles

By a tier IV Fantome.  $7.30.  Develop this premium plane.  You will start kicking a$$ right from the start since you can out-turn anyone out there, making additional credits, and check the box under crew so that all XP go to crew advancement.

I wish I knew about this plane when I started.  Once you have a sizable war chest of credits, then it will be time to start down the road.

You want to go the La- route.  That line is enjoyable every step of the way.  In my opinion, the Tier IX La-160 is the best upper tier fighter in the game, even better than the Tier X in that line.

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/53533-i-take-it-all-back-im-actually-getting-to-like-this-version/page__st__20__pid__745657#entry745657

Click on the images at the link.  Proof I know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Animal_of_Pryale, 20 August 2018 - 05:47 AM.

Pogo68 #10 Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 18 August 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

I would recommend tier 4 as a good learning tier. The basics are there and all the various national and aircraft characteristics start to show up at that tier. You also tend to have more players as well, so its also a pretty fun tier to hang around. The downside is that you have people like me who see tier 4 as a legitimate "this is no longer sealclubbing" playground so be prepared to run into veterans looking to complete their dailies or just faffing around for kicks. Tier 5 works too but then you start running into Spitfires and you'd better believe that you're going to get your [edited]spanked when you run up against those.

I've found the MiG line to be erratic with a lot of highs and lows along the way but the tier X is worth it (or so I've been told; I'm only at tier 9 for this tree right now). Its one of the three "Ms" of high altitude fighters: Migs, Mustangs and Messers so expect great vertical performance and energy characteristics but don't get drawn into a turning fight with Spits, Kis and Zeros. 

MiG-15 makes for a nice high altitude bomber killer.

I find it an odd reversal of roles as you are having to fight an energy fight rather than the turn fighting that is favored for the lower Russian tiers.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

MARS_REVENANT #11 Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:21 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5721 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Not tier... type.

Spitfire

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

Animal_of_Pryale #12 Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:16 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4598 battles

I've noticed there are some very new players who joined over the last week.  You will need a tier IV (or higher) to participate in the upcoming event.  The Fantome, at $7.30 is also the cheapest Tier IV (or higher) plane you can buy.  Combined with it's ease to play, fun, and excellent turning, this is the plane, if you need one for this weekend.

Edited by Animal_of_Pryale, 21 August 2018 - 06:25 PM.

Animal_of_Pryale #13 Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4598 battles

I'm looking at this from the "If I knew then, what I know now" perspective.  I would have bought the Fantome before I did anything else, and played it until I had a million credits before I even started trying to grind.

I would also have bought the M6A3 (exp.) at Tier V somewhere along the way for the 30mm cannon.  Less maneuverable, and more flammable, requiring serious situational awareness, so not quite for beginners, I love the incredible damage per shot.  I fire like it's a semi-auto shotgun.  Requires good fire discipline.

trikke #14 Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:42 AM

Captain

• 3790 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Was never a fan of the m6a3 with the big gun, mostly because I got swatted like a fly so many times in it

Oh and couldn't hit a thing

You'll see the amazing difference in the game at T4, but the competition gets much more ferocious, since high time pilots love that tier now, as much as you will love it soon

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

comtedumas #15 Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6887 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostYaguarete100, on 18 August 2018 - 11:13 PM, said:

Greetings

I am a new player with just a few battles at tier one.  My question is about progressing through the tiers.  In WoT I learned about the game at tiers 4 and 5, Is there such a tier range in WoWP where it would be wise to spend time and resources?  I think I will follow the Mig line, from what I have been able to read in the forums it is an ok choice.

Thanks in advance

Tier 3.  Good examples of every class of aircraft are available then.  From light fighters to bombers, every class is represented and some of them are very fun to play.  

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

comtedumas #16 Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6887 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostPogo68, on 20 August 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

MiG-15 makes for a nice high altitude bomber killer.

I find it an odd reversal of roles as you are having to fight an energy fight rather than the turn fighting that is favored for the lower Russian tiers.

I have yet to see MiG-15 in game yet.  I have been playing almost a year, have a T10 and several lines at T9 and specialized, and still haven’t seen one yet.  

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

SpiritFoxMY #17 Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5051 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postcomtedumas, on 22 August 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

I have yet to see MiG-15 in game yet.  I have been playing almost a year, have a T10 and several lines at T9 and specialized, and still haven’t seen one yet.  

I have seen a couple - they didn't impress me but I think that was more because of the way their pilots were flying them. Statistically it should be a powerful energy fighter in the mold of the MiG-9, Mustang and the 109s. I'll see soon enough I guess.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Reitousair #18 Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:02 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11337 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Tier 4 is an excellent tier for learning every type of aircraft as most have pointed out here.

Tier 5 is where you want to be when you want to learn how individual lines will perform.

After tier 5 not many lines drastically stray away overall, though there are a few exceptions. For example F4U's fly quite differently compared to F2A's and F4F's.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users