Discussion: IL-2 (mod) forward firing equipment.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

hawkeyededic #1 Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:07 AM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Posted this in the official Discord, thought it might be a good discussion so putting it here as well.

IL-2(mod) t-5 premium GAA. Forward firing equipment. Rate of Fire or Burst Length? Discuss

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

CorvusCorvax #2 Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:18 AM

Captain

• 4448 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Posthawkeyededic, on 14 August 2018 - 12:07 AM, said:

Posted this in the official Discord, thought it might be a good discussion so putting it here as well.

IL-2(mod) t-5 premium GAA. Forward firing equipment. Rate of Fire or Burst Length? Discuss

Neither.

Range.

J311yfish #3 Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2996 battles
  • [343] 343

Disclosure:

-- I have the plane but do not often play it.

Thoughts:

-- Thinking about it in the abstract only, assuming both to be reasonably balanced and viable choices, I would consider Rate of Fire to be more valuable if my accuracy was high, and Burst Length to be more valuable if my accuracy was not high.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

J311yfish #4 Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2996 battles
  • [343] 343
I would consider Range to be the least useful alternative simply because it only has value for your first target during an approach, and while you realign to take out another target you are already within the default range of the guns.  Rate of Fire and Burst Length, however, retain their usefulness at all times.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

Reitousair #5 Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:30 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11419 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Rate of fire is better, a higher DPS and with bonuses increased fire chance means you can take out ground targets faster. The fires in particular help to cover up your rather pitiful ordinance...

Burst length has its uses however the burst length on the IL-2 (mod)'s guns are already pretty good so there's not much of a need to increase the burst length, especially when increasing DPS means you spend less time shooting things since you'll kill faster. Also if you're up REALLY close you probably won't need increased burst length since you'll be need more time to adjust your aim onto another target.

Range is the most useless piece of gun equipment for something like the IL-2 (mod.) You have rockets, and the gun range on the YVa-23's is already plenty enough for tier 5. You don't get any DPS increases (without the 5% bonus which still isn't as much as you get from an ultimate GOA,) and once you get to the normal gun ranges your advantage is now nullified, and you'll only feel the penalty of decreased burst length. Maybe you'd want it for plane-killing? But if you want plane-killing power then why not just fly the Beaufighter? Still carries tons of ordinance, health, and has TONS of firepower.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #6 Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:44 AM

Captain

• 1393 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Posthawkeyededic, on 13 August 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

well, is it nerf'd or supersized in the discord world?

I like it just fine

I feel it's about right, np 4 me

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

comtedumas #7 Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6887 battles
  • [FK] FK
With 23mms, I would say rate of fire, anything larger I would say range.  With the latter I can kill three AA find on the way in.  None of the other 2 give me that option.  That 33% of the low altitude AA dead on my way in.  Worth it to me.  

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

GonerNL #8 Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1127 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 14 August 2018 - 01:18 AM, said:

Range.

That's what I took, the other 2 both have negative accuracy, I think.

Since they took away most GA protection, taking out AA is a priority.

Edited by GonerNL, 14 August 2018 - 08:12 AM.

Flying on EU, NA, ASIA and CIS servers

CorvusCorvax #9 Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:14 PM

Captain

• 4448 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

I go in and kill the low-level AA with the first pass.  The overheat cycle isn't important, because the 23s do the job.

After I am done with the low-level AA, I get busy on the other targets.  By having range, I can hit the unarmored stuff sooner as I set up for rocket or bomb runs, or I can reach out and touch ADA that happen to be close to stall speed.

I will go for range every time.  "Whoever gets there soonest, with the mostest."

hawkeyededic #10 Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:32 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostReitousair, on 13 August 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

Rate of fire is better, a higher DPS and with bonuses increased fire chance means you can take out ground targets faster. The fires in particular help to cover up your rather pitiful ordinance...

Burst length has its uses however the burst length on the IL-2 (mod)'s guns are already pretty good so there's not much of a need to increase the burst length, especially when increasing DPS means you spend less time shooting things since you'll kill faster. Also if you're up REALLY close you probably won't need increased burst length since you'll be need more time to adjust your aim onto another target.

Range is the most useless piece of gun equipment for something like the IL-2 (mod.) You have rockets, and the gun range on the YVa-23's is already plenty enough for tier 5. You don't get any DPS increases (without the 5% bonus which still isn't as much as you get from an ultimate GOA,) and once you get to the normal gun ranges your advantage is now nullified, and you'll only feel the penalty of decreased burst length. Maybe you'd want it for plane-killing? But if you want plane-killing power then why not just fly the Beaufighter? Still carries tons of ordinance, health, and has TONS of firepower.

This is the train of thought i had as well.  Am I wrong thinking that this same thing applies to the IL-10 and IL-40s as well later on? With the lower damage on the 23mm guns I would think you would want more hits on target faster then with the bigger 37mm and larger weapons.

View Postcomtedumas, on 14 August 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

With 23mms, I would say rate of fire, anything larger I would say range.  With the latter I can kill three AA find on the way in.  None of the other 2 give me that option.  That 33% of the low altitude AA dead on my way in.  Worth it to me.  

I went this route on my IL-8 (was past the IL-2 and IL-2T when 2.0.5 hit) I felt that the bigger guns rate of fire was already so low that the increase from the equipment would be to low to really make a difference. Also the longer range on these does give enough of an increase in time on target to make a difference imo.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

Deltavee #11 Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:07 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2901 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 13 August 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

Neither.

Range.

Agreed for the reasons you posted elsewhere but also for self-defence.  If there is no protective CAP overhead which is always the norm when contesting a cap, after taking out some of the AA you have to kill some ingressing enemies before you can get to work.  A day or two ago in an IL-2 (mod) I killed four aircraft including an ADA and a dozy Spit from a considerable distance away.  If they were closer I'd have been swarmed.  The firepower of the IL-2 combined with constant attention to the radar map can be devastating at range.  The Spit pretty much melted.  It also makes it quite possible to go vertical and batter but not kill high-flying ADA well above my operational ceiling before going into a hammerhead, just to make it an easier kill for somebody else.   Reach out and touch the h3ll out of somebody is my motto; well, one of them.  My IL and Ha 137 are optimized for agility as much as a GAA can be said to be agile but it is possible to dogfight somewhat with the 137 employing high and low yo-yos and up close, the punch is killer.  Range is king and a heavy punch in CQC is lovely to have, especially in a head-on merge assuming you're not up against a Beau or a P-38 or the like.

Rate of fire and burst length are nice to have if you can concentrate on your ground work, but the way the game is these days, I'll take range over both of them.

Edited by Deltavee, 15 August 2018 - 02:33 AM.

Deltavee

Sic Itur Ad Astra

Such is the pathway to the stars

Flying NA and EU

trikke #12 Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:47 PM

Captain

• 3809 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

excellent discussion... ty hawkeye!

i'm a RoF guy, because i need those second and third chances to hit anything 

to offset those accuracy nerfs, i concentrated on Sights and Marksman one and two

seems to work out for me, but others have excellent results with other choices

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

CorvusCorvax #13 Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

Captain

• 4448 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostDeltavee, on 15 August 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

Agreed for the reasons you posted elsewhere but also for self-defence. 

I forgot to mention the GAA NASCAR part of range.  If I am in the zone zapping ground targets and enemy GAA show up, I want to be able to kick butt and chew bubblegum.  I want range to I can maybe get a crit on the merge, and have the other guy fighting for altitude and airspeed while I have nothing more to think about than what position I will take to get a low-deflection shot from the rear and above.  Those cannon just eat other aircraft, and even HF that come down to play can find themselves in trouble from guns that have not only range modifiers, but crit bonuses.  I have knocked down more than one Bf-110E who thought I was easy pickin's and didn't pay attention to the fact that I can zap him from all the way across the span of ground targets, especially if I have enough altitude for a hammerhead.  Oh, and my IL-10M can even turn inside many HFs at-tier.

MadJackChurchil #14 Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:41 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1585 battles

View PostReitousair, on 14 August 2018 - 01:30 AM, said:

Agree. Personally I equip ROF + burst duration on my Me329 (sold my IL to get money for Special Conf. on 329), although considering ROF + barrels. But anyway, in my experience the ROF allows you to unload more in one pass on ground targets or the planes (which you just melt with upgraded ROF). The decrease in accuracy can be compensated by the aiming module for pilot... and considering other planes often ignore GAA anyway, I dont find range for shooting planes to be as good as max DPS on whatever is stupid enough to get close.

GonerNL #15 Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1127 battles

View PostMadJackChurchil, on 16 August 2018 - 01:41 AM, said:

and considering other planes often ignore GAA anyway,

Really ?? I get the impression that my GA is everybody's favourite target ; low, slow and vulnerable.

GA are only ignored by team-mates :(

Edited by GonerNL, 16 August 2018 - 08:04 AM.

Flying on EU, NA, ASIA and CIS servers

MadJackChurchil #16 Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:34 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1585 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 16 August 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

Really ?? I get the impression that my GA is everybody's favourite target ; low, slow and vulnerable.

GA are only ignored by team-mates :(

Yeah, kinda. Occasionally there is a player that pays me attention and the defense bots definitely tend to melt me... But other than that the enemy team tends to ignore me most of the time. Plus sometimes someone tries something funny like a head-on in P51.

Edited by MadJackChurchil, 16 August 2018 - 08:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users