Germany lifts ban on Nazi symbols in computer games

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

trikke #1 Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2022 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i'm pretty tone-deaf, just ask my friends...

but this is just ridiculous 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

FlakValleyExpress #2 Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:27 PM

Captain

• 25 battles

I don't think it's a given yet. This is what I translated.

Block Quote

In the future, USK will take into account social adequacy for age rating of games

Berlin, 9th August 2018

The Entertainment Software Self-Control (USK) is changing its practice in the age rating game, which uses features of unconstitutional organizations. From now on, the social adequacy clause of § 86a (3) of the Criminal Code (StGB) can be included by the USK bodies in the examination of computer games. Thus, such computer and video games may be given a rating by the USK in which the use of marks of unconstitutional organizations is assessed as socially adequate by the USK bodies. Social adequacy in this context means that symbols of anti-constitutional organizations can be used in a title, as long as it serves the arts or science, the representation of events of the day or history. At the fundamental prohibition of license plate gem. However, § 86 a StGB has not changed. Therefore, an age rating decision always requires a case-by-case examination and is not a general exception. The change was made possible by a change in the legal interpretation of the competent highest state youth authority, which takes into account the current legal assessments.

For the submission of an age marking game, the updated request for examination can now be used: http://www.usk.de/ex...ntragsformulare

Elisabeth Secker , Managing Director of the USK: "By changing the legal concept, games that deal critically with current affairs can for the first time be given a USK age code. This has long been the case with films and, with regard to the freedom of the arts, right now also in computer and video games. The committees of the USK will also perform this task with great care, competence and responsibility. "

Wolfang Hussmann , Chairman of the Advisory Council of the USK and representative of the German Bishops' Conference: "As advisory board of the USK we know the great potential of computer games for society and at the same time see the social responsibility for a good protection of children and adolescents. The convergence of media systems requires that the protection of minors be guaranteed according to comparable rules. It is a correct decision that the USK can now also consider such content in the audit, in which case the social adequacy has to be weighed in individual cases. "

Is the link wrong or correct OP for what you are posting?

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

NorthernPorter #3 Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1501 battles
Is it wrong that I'm not phased by it? I mean I hate the Nazis has much as the next guy and relish the chance to kill 'em in a game; but this article just seems to be saying, 'if you really must show a controversial symbol in your game, your game will rated something above mature or the like'. Which I see no problem with, it's just taking the rubber bumpers off and gives the users a heads up that, hey this game may challenge your safe space.

Prenzlau #4 Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4748 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

I'm not giving any human atrocity a pass in the span of human history. It is all hypocritical. Just taking WW2, there was many atrocities by many nations and factions that lead to the death of (collectively) millions of civilians and innocents. I don't want to get into the particulars, you have to do your own research and know your history, but one symbol isn't any better or any worse given the fact that again, millions of innocent people died. If you want to ban one, then ban them all, but the world is what it is, and history gets written a certain way. The only consistent factor with war is that innocent people die. You can still have mass atrocities without war, and maybe those are the worst kind, but often those are not looked at the same as war. If the innocents who lost their lives meaninglessly over the years could talk, do you think they would talk about symbols?

Prenzlau

The Zigfreid & Prenzlau Bombing Company

"We're not just delivering the mail..."

Pogo68 #5 Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1583 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

As far as I'm concerned it's stupid to prohibit them because it leads to not being able to accurately show what the actual plane/tank/ship looked like in the game your playing or on the forum that your on.

I've been flagged by mods for posting a picture of the aircraft of a particular pilot, not a drawing of the plane, a copy of the actual picture of the actual plane of an actual pilot with the pilot standing next to it.

In a forum where we were discussing how that plane should look and where insignias and kill markings should be placed.

Edited by Pogo68, 10 August 2018 - 11:51 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

trikke #6 Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2022 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

here's what slate says...  TLDR they're all for it!

Why Lifting the Ban on Nazi Imagery on Video Games in Germany Was the Right Thing to Do

sandtinger #7 Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:40 AM

Master Sergeant

• 9508 battles

its been a thing in Germany for many years. the ban  was put there because it was a reminder of the country's  worst moment in time . they made it  illegal and if you had enough of the stuff you would be sent to jail .you could not put a Nazi flag up or have it in video game.. it was Germany way of try to kill the gilt from the heart  of the country .because even generations past wwII have had problems with what there forefathers  have done .so this was a ban to help the country heal . oo and one other thing in Germany Holocaust denial is punishable by imprisonment, but no-Nazi parties have been tolerated as long as they draw no explicit links with the Nazi regime. so it is a big deal if you have a Nazi syllable you where take to jail .if you did the Nazi salute you where taken to jail . they remember there past but they do not like it .nor do they every want to be like that ever again ...they study wwii history more then any other country in the world. some much so that they get sick of people come from any other country to ask then about it. there  tried of talk about it because of there studies... so i have been told by one of my friends that still live there .. i was born there but i live here now i been Dachau  when we where  there it was a freaky place i can still see it when i close my eyes but .. this is a big deal if they lift the ban on it ..

Edited by sandtinger, 12 August 2018 - 03:05 AM.

trikke #8 Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2022 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

the older i get, the more amazed i get...  man's inhumanity toward fellow human beings 

and still it happens, every day

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users