Can't spown last 5 mins of game, bad game design.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

ArcKnight381 #1 Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:27 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1748 battles

Personally I hate this feature. I want to play the game and if I happen to get killed at the 4:59 mark I don't want to watch bots fly around aimlessly for nearly 5 mins. It seams like really bad game design and one of the most hated parts of the game for me.

Do we really need a spawn cut off? Cant it be at 3 minutes not right in the middle of the frikin game. Let the game run until a team hits max points or give people a limited re-spawn amount.

Anyone else feel the same? If not why? Don't troll I'm looking for real feed back.

Edited by ArcKnight381, 08 August 2018 - 01:29 AM.

MelBrooks #2 Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 12 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Well, I'll start the debate. Should not be any spawn in the first place, just like tanks and warships. Once out, you're always out. I do agree with you that 5 minutes is a little excessive if you're going to have in it the first place.

Bobby_Tables #3 Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4365 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

I think it's fine as is.  Some games are so painfully boring I want them to end quicker and the squall line helps to bring that ending about.  Also, you get a bonus for 5 kills after the squall line hits so if you only had 3 minutes, it would be hard to get that bonus.  

Just my thoughts.  No trolling believe it or not.  

mustangman6579 #4 Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1947 battles

View PostMelBrooks, on 07 August 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

Well, I'll start the debate. Should not be any spawn in the first place, just like tanks and warships. Once out, you're always out. I do agree with you that 5 minutes is a little excessive if you're going to have in it the first place.

I'll disagree here. I remember before the 2.x days when there was only 1 spawn. Sometimes it was complete crap. You could play for 30s, get killed by a heavy you never even seem and be out of the game for 14.5m. 

View PostArcKnight381, on 07 August 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Personally I hate this feature. I want to play the game and if I happen to get killed at the 4:59 mark I don't want to watch bots fly around aimlessly for nearly 5 mins. It seams like really bad game design and one of the most hated parts of the game for me.

Do we really need a spawn cut off? Cant it be at 3 minutes not right in the middle of the frikin game. Let the game run until a team hits max points or give people a limited re-spawn amount.

Anyone else feel the same? If not why? Don't troll I'm looking for real feed back.

While I get why they did it(I've won games by killing all the plane before we lost in points), i HATE the fact that you can never die, until the very SECOND squall hits and not get a respawn. I think good players should be REWARDED not PUNISHED for playing well and only using a single life. Meaning, everyone should get at least 2 planes, if not three in the course of the game. IE. infinite respawns till squall, and if you have not died at all, you get another plane or 2. 

Dr_Wigglespank #5 Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:40 AM

Master Sergeant

• 717 battles
If I get shot down at the beginning of squall line, I'm going back to the hangar. An extra 1K of personal points is not worth sticking around & watching bots, in my opinion.

Bobby_Tables #6 Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4365 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostDr_Wigglespank, on 07 August 2018 - 08:40 PM, said:

If I get shot down at the beginning of squall line, I'm going back to the hangar. An extra 1K of personal points is not worth sticking around & watching bots, in my opinion.

That kinda goes without saying, if I get killed right after the squall line hits, I am gone and into another battle.  Then again, I have so much silver and Free XP, I don't know what to do with it all.  There are some who are perpetually low on these things and for them, I guess they could Alt-Tab to watch a cute cat video or whatnot if they are that desperate for the extra 1K.  On the flip side of that, if you go back to hangar and start another battle you can be almost instantly earning (with delay for queue) silver and Free XP, but on a different plane. 

In earlier iterations of the game, it was worth it to stick around and learn what you did wrong by getting a view into another player's plane.  In this current iteration, that is lost to a great extent.  You cannot get a first person view of another player and, what the heck, most of them are bots anyways.  One of the ways I learned tactics was by dying and then sitting in the cockpit of another [human] player to see what they did.  That was back in the 1.X days however.  In 2.0 the value of spectating has been lost unfortunately.   Not only does the spectating function suck, there's only like 1 or 2 humans on your team.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 08 August 2018 - 03:57 AM.

trikke #7 Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:03 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2526 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postmustangman6579, on 07 August 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

I think good players should be REWARDED not PUNISHED for playing well and only using a single life. Meaning, everyone should get at least 2 planes, if not three in the course of the game. IE. infinite respawns till squall, and if you have not died at all, you get another plane or 2. 

i try to stay alive as long as possible, even when badly damaged...  probably to the detriment of my team
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

SkyWolf__WM #8 Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:19 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4131 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
I just fly into the ground to get a new plane if mine is badly shot up when the squall line is about to come in.
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

CorvusCorvax #9 Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1938 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

I like the fact that after the squall line, I can win a losing game by helping to shoot down all the red planes.

Last night, after a particularly uninspiring battle with my Do-335, I was able to shoot down several red planes after the squall line hit, both giving us the victory for eliminating the other team, and getting myself a token in the process.  I might be getting the hang of this thing, finally...

In any case, any respawn after squall line would encourage folks on the losing team to drop back to hangar - since there would effectively be no way for them to win the battle without some sort of miracle bot reversal of fortune.  Yes, that does happen, but not often enough to stick around for.

Prenzlau #10 Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6648 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Postmustangman6579, on 07 August 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

I'll disagree here. I remember before the 2.x days when there was only 1 spawn. Sometimes it was complete crap. You could play for 30s, get killed by a heavy you never even seem and be out of the game for 14.5m. 

While I get why they did it(I've won games by killing all the plane before we lost in points), i HATE the fact that you can never die, until the very SECOND squall hits and not get a respawn. I think good players should be REWARDED not PUNISHED for playing well and only using a single life. Meaning, everyone should get at least 2 planes, if not three in the course of the game. IE. infinite respawns till squall, and if you have not died at all, you get another plane or 2. 

Maybe the number of respawns you earn should equate somehow to the number of personal points you earn? So those who do more and have better games get rewarded?

Prenzlau

The Zigfreid & Prenzlau Bombing Company

"We're not just delivering the mail..."

Kingwicked101 #11 Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6862 battles

As I have been locked out from re-spawning - found a trick that works 90% of the time - hit the ENTER button twice and your plane appears.

I disagree with the re-spawn but then we are playing a game to help the weaker players climb the ladder.

My take on the re-spawn issue: 

1. After the 3rd time any aircraft is destroyed – this pilot is eliminated from the battle even if the squall line is months away. 
  2. One should be able to change planes at any Airstrip, Airbase or Home Re-spawn Point. 
  3. One should be able to change from a lower tier plane to a higher tier plane for battles that have higher tier planes.
  4. If the Airstrip or Airbase is destroyed during the 30secs while the pilot is at this re-spawn point, the pilot is then returned to the Home Re-spawn Point and wait a further 30secs.
  5. Once the Squall Line has arrived - no further HP repairs are implemented at an Airbase.
  6. The enemy should be allowed to capture all re-spawn points and hold them. Whilst in control of all re-spawn points, no plane can re-entering battle. 

Please can dev's do something about the color of the lead indicator - make it orange or allow pilots to choose a color of preference. 

Smallfry17 #12 Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:51 PM

Airman Basic

• 2155 battles
Games are way too predictable most of the time.  The 1,000 credit bribe WG offers to those who stay in a game till the end is not nearly enough.  I see many as well as myself choosing not to re-spawn on a team that is getting slaughtered.  I for one would prefer no re-spawns.  Once you die, get a different plane and start a new match.

sneakytails #13 Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:19 PM

Senior Airman

• 367 battles
  • [ESG] ESG

Attrition mode was more fun, conquest mode sucks, and a large part of it is this squall line [edited].

I agree with OP, its bad game design.

bradk62 #14 Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

Senior Airman

• 2929 battles
  • [335TH] 335TH

View Postmustangman6579, on 08 August 2018 - 02:38 AM, said:

When I got shot down early, I would switch to another airplane and just jump into another battle.

I always thought that 1.x was a good compromise between a game and real-life.  In real  life, when you get shot down, you may or may not survive but but you will have to return to your base and though you will live to fight another day,  you will be out of the current battle.  Respawning to join the fight you just got shot down from is highly unlikely/imposssible unless you are shot down right at your airbase and a plane happens to be fueled, armed and ready.

Another non-reality of the respawn is the strategy of crashing right before the squal, either to get a fresh aircraft and/or to "transport" to the respawn point or another airbase.  I find it repugnant to intentionally crash my plane into the ground but taking out an enemy with a mid-air collision is slightly more acceptable and I do find myself thinking about that option more than I like to admit.  The only strategy I regularly use to exploit this "bug" is jumping into the "furball" and letting nature take its course while I do the most damage I can.

Edited by bradk62, 08 August 2018 - 07:58 PM.

SonicPariah #15 Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:58 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 427 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

Interesting thoughts and ideas all around. Currently, the Squall Line cut-off is in place to help prevent throwing games by ramming every opponent and just jumping right back in. This adds strategy and skill to the latter parts of the battle. However, the ideas about being forced to sit there if you die immediately are something to think about.

The increased Respawn Timer is also there to help deter constant ramming and death abuse.

As for Lead Indicators, we are discussing the idea of either Color-Blind Mode or adjustable colors.

trikke #16 Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:46 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2526 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSonicPariah, on 08 August 2018 - 05:58 PM, said:

Interesting thoughts and ideas all around. Currently, the Squall Line cut-off is in place to help prevent throwing games by ramming every opponent and just jumping right back in. This adds strategy and skill to the latter parts of the battle. However, the ideas about being forced to sit there if you die immediately are something to think about.

The increased Respawn Timer is also there to help deter constant ramming and death abuse.

As for Lead Indicators, we are discussing the idea of either Color-Blind Mode or adjustable colors.

love the added strategy near the end of the battle and love the increased respawn timer if a player abuses it...  because everyone knows that people will abuse any loophole 

not a fan of lead indicators of any color...  i assumed that we were past all that

it was the first thing that reviewers slammed us about, way back when

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

SpiritFoxMY #17 Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:59 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3101 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSmallfry17, on 09 August 2018 - 01:51 AM, said:

Games are way too predictable most of the time.  The 1,000 credit bribe WG offers to those who stay in a game till the end is not nearly enough.  I see many as well as myself choosing not to re-spawn on a team that is getting slaughtered.  I for one would prefer no re-spawns.  Once you die, get a different plane and start a new match.

I'm always raging at people who do that. Seven times out of ten the game would have been winnable (and three times out of ten, I've won) if it weren't for people ragequitting because they think "their team is crap". Right now, my consolation is that most ragequitters are no use to the team alive anyway and its sweet to think I carried their daily away from them.

Also, agree with trikke - I'd prefer no lead indicators.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 10 August 2018 - 04:01 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

SonicPariah #18 Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:32 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 427 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

After speaking with our Devs, it looks like there are not currently plans for Lead Indicator or Color Blind changes planned in the near future.

Hopefully we will be able to bring up the idea again at a later time when there aren't so many plans and changes in place.

Deltavee #19 Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1303 battles

If I'm down to no health and the squall line is upon us....

Lawn dart.

Deltavee

GAA drivers do it in the dirt.

Innokenty #20 Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1711 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
You missed the work around -- at the 30 sec mark BEFORE squall line happens, crash your airplane and respawn at 100% without damage. Usually my plane has damage, so crashing it gets me fresh for the last 5 min of the game.
dark.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users