Skies of Albion

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Gullygnome #1 Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:21 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1221 battles
Let's do that again in the Pacific or the Eastern Front? Attrition is ok, but not really super exciting. Especially the rewards. 

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2185 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I hated Skies of Albion. My W/R tanked during that thing... I played almost exclusively as Axis then because I was primarily a German player and Oh. My. God...

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2185 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

It was like that. Day after day after day. It didn't help that the tiny three hour window meant I had to wake up at 7am on weekends to participate. And every day it would be a loss except for that one single glorious day when one of the Community streamers got all his followers to play Axis for a single day. That was my ONLY win of the entire event.

Every other day I'd play my heart out and lose because there would be three guys on the Axis team and eight on the Allied team. Didn't take me long to not care. I decided sleep was more important than stress and disappointment.

I suppose I could have done what the majority of players did and just jump in on the Allied side but after the thumping of the first few days, I felt it as a badge of pride to have fought through that whole hopeless battle where each win meant more because it meant I was winning against all the fuckin' odds.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 07 August 2018 - 04:39 PM.

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10719 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 07 August 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

I hated Skies of Albion. My W/R tanked during that thing... I played almost exclusively as Axis then because I was primarily a German player and Oh. My. God...

LOL.  Too true!

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Gullygnome #5 Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:02 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1221 battles
*now with more better matchmaking fgs!

Gullygnome #6 Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:03 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1221 battles

I play US and Brit planes... that explains why the event was fun for me.  :/ ;)

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2185 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostGullygnome, on 08 August 2018 - 01:02 AM, said:

*now with more better matchmaking fgs!

I don't think Matchmaking would help simply because of numbers: just from looking at the available nations, that almost guarantees a 2-to-3 matchup in favor of the Allies even without taking the two premium nations into account. And then you have the total number of complete tech trees in play which is 2-to-1 in favor of Allies. From a total number of airplanes available its an even crazier 134-to-62 available airplanes in favor of Allies.

What this means is that the likelihood of a player having a majority of his airplanes be Allied is at least double that of the Axis in all cases. The likelihood of a player playing ONLY allies is also more than doubled. Even for veterans who have more options, I've heard it said by some that its simply a case of choosing the side which gives them more variety of airplanes to play during that window. 

the problem isn't MM. The problem is sheer volume. The sheer volume of humans queuing up to play one side over the other means that either Allied players will suffer stupidly long waits - which will ruin the experience - or Axis players will have to suck up ridiculous odds.

And don't get me started on how all five of Warplanes' most unbalanced, overpowered, game-breaking airplanes are Allied: Spitfire I, Spitfire V, Spitfire XIV, Pancake, RB-17

I mean, I'm all for events and all that but I think Axis v. Allied is not viable at this point. Maybe if they introduced a full Japanese & Italian tree and maybe tossed a Premium Finnish tree in there or something...

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 07 August 2018 - 05:25 PM.

Wombatmetal #8 Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:36 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 770 battles

I don't think that these things can be made to work. There is an Eagles/Sharks thing going on in ships and the sharks are killing it just like Albion. They won the first day, then a few jumped ship, now it's a blowout every day.

Yesterday the released a video with Dasha offering extra incentives to join the eagles. Leaving no stone unturned, but sharks still are killing it. I don't think it can be made to work.

LMG #9 Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1668 battles

The problem with Skies of Albion is that the game rewards more the team that wins. There are a lot more Allied planes than there are Axis, and most of the "meta" planes are Allied, while a lot of the Axis planes tend to be more "niche". This leads to a lot of players playing Allies instead of Axis, effectively increasing their odds of winning through sheer numbers and indirectly inviting anyone playing Axis to switch sides, which slowly snowballs as the Axis side has less and less players, making their odds of winning a lot lower with each player switching sides until it's virtually impossible for them to get anything done.

At the end of the day playing Axis becomes a test in frustration because you have less human players trying to win, the Allies end up fighting teams literally full of bots for easy wins, and you always end up with less rewards for not achieving victory. The Allies don't have it much better since they mostly fight bot teams, which gets very boring after a while

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Reitousair #10 Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5923 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

All's what I can say is; Italian planes when? The benefits of a third Axis nation would help balance out such events, especially if Italian planes are made competitive, more variety and more planes that actually stand a chance against Spitfires, MiG's and Lavochkins. 

I played Axis a couple times just for the challenge of being on what's usually the losing side and fighting hordes of Allied players. But in the end IL-10M is Chinese so I stuck to Allies for the majority of the event, especially because double the rewards meant double the chances at getting a premium mission (which is how I got my J8M) so there was little reason to ever play Axis other than to challenge myself. Considering I was also grinding every line of Allied aircraft at the time and only Japanese fighters for Axis there was even less reason to play on Axis since my most efficient grinds would just be farm bots until the end of days and I'd have more variety.

If there was to be a Skies of Albion 2, they should considering giving very good incentives to play Axis, or even be a turncoat switching sides between the two every now and again, maybe they'll have premiums that you get through playing on one side a lot?

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

pyantoryng #11 Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1494 battles

We've already been to Pacific, Mainland Europe, and Britain...all that is left is the Eastern Front...

...and the map Eastern Front is still not adapted for Conquest when there is perfectly enough space to do so...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

ComradeZ #12 Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2813 battles
  • [FK] FK
Flying Axis was not that bad, sooooo many mediocre Allied nubs to slaughter.  But yeah, losing 8 games in a row did suck.

comealong1 #13 Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2403 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

The skies of albion were crap they did not even pay out the awards right last time.. I played one battle axis & never got credit for it!.. Get the game right before anymore events PLEASE.

Thinking about it I played all night too.

Edited by comealong1, 10 August 2018 - 01:31 PM.

Bluegoose02 #14 Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

Senior Airman

• 2298 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-
Hey I played the Axis side all night and only got credit for 1 battle. Now that sucks when your losing for 3 hours and get next to nothing for it.

Bluegoose02 #15 Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

Senior Airman

• 2298 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

Sorry let me change that , it was the Confrontation battles that that happened in. My bad.

OldMagnetButt #16 Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:12 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 808 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 07 August 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

We've already been to Pacific, Mainland Europe, and Britain...all that is left is the Eastern Front...

...and the map Eastern Front is still not adapted for Conquest when there is perfectly enough space to do so...

More toys. Bring us more toys. Actually I am missing the Dornier Arrow and the Curtis X-15C so would like to hve a crack at those again unless they are going to put them in the shop.

SpiritFoxMY #17 Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2185 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postcddlbunny0, on 09 August 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

More toys. Bring us more toys. Actually I am missing the Dornier Arrow and the Curtis X-15C so would like to hve a crack at those again unless they are going to put them in the shop.

You're not missing much with the XF15C. Pfeil is a whole different, wholly terrifying beast

SonicPariah #18 Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:15 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 416 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

IF we did an event like this again, we would definitely change how team scoring worked as well as how the prizes were setup.

The prizes are definitely always something there is an issue with as the prizes we want to give out would most likely break in-game economy in a major way. That leads to seemingly lackluster prizes that won't break economy but aren't doing everyone a lot of favors.

CorvusCorvax #19 Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1329 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 09 August 2018 - 05:32 AM, said:

You're not missing much with the XF15C. Pfeil is a whole different, wholly terrifying beast

You got that right.  I am just figuring out this aircraft, and oh, boy, look out.  It is a bigger, faster, much nastier version of the Bf-109.  And I love flying my -109.

SpiritFoxMY #20 Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2185 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 10 August 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

You got that right.  I am just figuring out this aircraft, and oh, boy, look out.  It is a bigger, faster, much nastier version of the Bf-109.  And I love flying my -109.

And its got the bomb-power of a tier 9 German Ground Attacker.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users