How to fly British Heavies? t6-t10

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Reitousair #21 Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:09 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 7410 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 27 September 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

Zwilling is faster in a dive, but the Hornet with only the bombs attached is faster in a flat run by 20kph

This is a pretty good case of U.K. being better at horizontal BnZ than the others. But yes only take one ordinance type, a full load slows you down too much to maintain your advantages, preferably bombs for less penalty and more damage.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

SpiritFoxMY #22 Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:19 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3113 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

So I got myself the Hornet again. Deciding between going back to the 262 or the Hornet, I was recommended the 262 as being the easier line but, having sold my Attacker, I ended up with a 7 point British pilot without a mount, so I decided to give the Hornet another bash. My previous experiences have been posted above but having thought and discussed it, I decided to give the "no wing rockets" plan a go.

The results were pretty spectacular:

So... yeah. The plane feels a lot better now. I swear that the wing rockets impact rate of roll as well as speed as the Hornet without them feels a lot lighter and easier to fly - more like the Mosquito before it than the brick it was that I recalled. In a way, that's kinda like the 190 A-5 and its external ordnance - which is why I run the A-5 "clean" in the first place. 

So, on second glance, the Hornet is a much more capable plane than I'd thought. Looks like I'll continue progress down the UK heavy tree after all.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

trikke #23 Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:57 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2531 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

we talked just today about your Hornet!    

and we both agreed that i probably don't have Hornet-level skills

i'm enjoying the Mossie, though!      

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

ElricJC #24 Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

Senior Airman

• 2268 battles
  • [E-S-S] E-S-S

I've been stuck in the Hornet for a while now... I just don't have the heart to grind through it. But I don't want to rage sell it, just hoping it will get better, but it is a dog of a plane. Best thing I have been able to do with it is dump its impressive load of ground munitions on a big target and zoom away looking for unwary targets and hoping players in better planes (i.e. any other plane) can't catch up to me.

The Mossie was disappointing, but this Hornet is a dog turd with wings.

EDIT: Ok, with this in mind I decided to take it out for a spin again for about 3 battles. Won 2, scored 11-14k in them, and the one loss was my own dumb fault. It is still sluggish and no where near fast enough for its job, but I was able to work the guns at longer range (with Long gun barrels) and made it work. Maybe, just maybe, I'll take it out for the x2 whenever I play and slowly mooch my way up.

Edited by ElricJC, 17 October 2018 - 11:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users