How to fly British Heavies? t6-t10

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

EpicYarn #1 Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1695 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I'm a Heavy Fighter player, so just a warning.  I already have the t10 american and almost t10 german heavies.  And now I'm on the British.  

I'm at the Mosquito (t6 british heavy), and quite frankly it sucks.  The Mosquito feels underwhelming in terms of firepower and speed, even though it is slightly more maneuverable than the german t6.  

And comparing the stats to the other heavies, the tree looks underwhelming overall.  Huge profile, not efficient at BnZ as other planes, even though they have a large boost, and weakish guns until the 30mm ADENs.  

So what's the correct approach to play them?

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2744 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Well, up until the Mosquito, I played them as multiroles, hitting ground targets, shooting up other heavies, multiroles, GAAs and unwary fighters and using my boost to outlast pursuers.

Then I reached the Hornet and just rage sold it and gave up the line.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2744 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I mean... I might go back and struggle through it but if you think the Mosquito is bad you have not seen the absolute brick the Hornet is.

The Mosquito can at least turn and has has fairly good speed and durability against its usual opponents. The Hornet flies like its controls are set in concrete and it faces 30mm spam which tear it apart in seconds. 

sneakytails #4 Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:08 PM

Senior Airman

• 367 battles
  • [ESG] ESG

This is a classic case of a great tank/ship/plane feeling lackluster in a wg title. IRL the mossie was amazing, in game it feels lackluster with its unrealistic slower speed, because of this outrunning your opennents does not always work.

The guns though are awesome, 8 centerline mounted guns hit hard and aim well. The p-38’s guns feel incredibly lackluster by comparison. Another example of something IRL that was decent performing poorly in game, .50 cals feel incredibly bad.

The mossie is really all about the guns, if you have good gunnery, you should be wrecking everything.

This was the first plane I specialized, I have it fully maxed out emphasizing guns and boost. I also do not carry any ordinance on this plane. I try to avoid the deck unless I really have to go down there. 

I spend a lot of time at higher alts jumping bombers and dropping down to snipe fighters. I fly very aggressively and use flaps and rudder a lot.

I still have not flew the British t7 heavy but if it is really the brick it’s made out to be you will just have to fly it like the lower tier German heavies which do fly like bricks.

SpiritFoxMY #5 Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2744 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Most of the Mossie's performance reputation comes from its role as a high speed pathfinder and reconnaissance plane though. We have what is essentially the FB Mk VI Fighter-Bomber variant. Its a good plane in this regard but it isn't the Mosquito of legend which people tend to think of. 

Personally I found the Mosquito a decent airplane with fantastic firepower that's quite capable of performing a variety of roles in a battle, whether down low where I like to fly, or up high. Hornet... really really baaaad plane. I mean the 109Zwilling is a more maneuverable plane than the Hornet and has more powerful guns, higher altitude, superior speed and acceleration.

Some people like it though so meh.

hoom #6 Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:59 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3880 battles

I'm not much of a Heavy player, enjoyed/enjoy the Beaufighter both as Mecha-Multirole and pure Anti-Air fighter.

I held off going to Mozzie for a long time based on not particularly having a good time with US P-38s, when I did buy it I did indeed not enjoy it.

Mostly I played it Anti-Air but with the bombs (internal so no speed hit) mounted to help get that extra little bit of cap points that you often are missing from just killing Defense bots.

Rockets seem like too much of a performance hit for the relatively limited extra firepower they give you.

Probably my main problem is I try to turn too much even though I know its not a good thing to do.

But even trying to BnZ a lot of the time I'd wind up with something like an I-210 or a faster Heavy on my [edited]: can't outrun it, can't out turn it, can't out climb it -> just dead which is really frustrating.

Looked at Hornet stats once I'd researched it & just noped away

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Psicko23 #7 Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:32 PM

First Lieutenant

• 16 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I haven't flown the British line since 2.0 came out, but in 1.xx the british heavies were pretty good except the t6 and t6. It got fun at t8 and they got better the higher the tiers.

trikke #8 Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2260 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
even the bots refuse to fly the Hornet
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Pogo68 #9 Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 07 August 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

Most of the Mossie's performance reputation comes from its role as a high speed pathfinder and reconnaissance plane though. We have what is essentially the FB Mk VI Fighter-Bomber variant. Its a good plane in this regard but it isn't the Mosquito of legend which people tend to think of. 

Personally I found the Mosquito a decent airplane with fantastic firepower that's quite capable of performing a variety of roles in a battle, whether down low where I like to fly, or up high. Hornet... really really baaaad plane. I mean the 109Zwilling is a more maneuverable plane than the Hornet and has more powerful guns, higher altitude, superior speed and acceleration.

Some people like it though so meh.

Actually the Mossie we have is a legend in it's own right.

The FB Mossie took part in raids from the North Sea, Western Europe, Asia and the Middle East.

They specialized in low altitude precision bombing and rocket attacks against ships, trains, depots.

This was not 8th AF precision bombing, this was lob a 500lb bomb through the building's front door while flying 100ft off the deck with German AAA shooting at you precision.

The most famous mission that the Mossie FB MK VI took part in was Operation Jericho, during which the Mossies dropped bombs from low altitude to destroy the Amiens Prison guard building and create holes in the prison wall and the security wall that surrounded it to allow Resistance fighters to escape.

Another mission in Netherlands was to destroy Dutch Population registry records.

These records were being stored by the Gestapo in a building in the Hague.

Again the mossies attacked in broad daylight at rooftop level.

The first two chucked bombs through the building's front door and windows to "crack the building open".

The remaining mossies proceeded to drop incendiary bombs through the hole that the the first two Mossies had created and set the building and it's records on fire.

High risk, low and fast were the stock and trade for the Mossie Fighter bombers.

Re Hornet.

It's a nice plane.

Depending on how you set it up, it's a bit of a speed demon.

Don't turnfight, keep it fast, keep it high.

Edited by Pogo68, 21 September 2018 - 06:00 AM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Bobby_Tables #10 Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 3612 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View Posttrikke, on 20 September 2018 - 07:43 AM, said:

even the bots refuse to fly the Hornet

Not true, I just repurchased my MiG-9 and the ADF bot heavies are almost all Hornets.  Not sure why, but hey, a big ol target that cannot turn on the red team is OK by me.  

De do pack a punch dough.

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 21 September 2018 - 06:37 AM.

GonerNL #11 Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 696 battles

Indeed, I regularly meet a bots (not only ADF)  in Hornets ... it's a great plane for ramming  :-(

Flying on EU and NA server

Reitousair #12 Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6334 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

So it seems this question has not been answered properly yet, alright, phew...

UK HF's, rely on high health pools, GINORMOUS boost pools, and incredibly good heat cycles to run around the map while slaughtering enemies.

Like the other HF's, you do not want to turn, particularly so with the horrendous energy retention the UK HF's get in turns.

Their guns have incredible heat cycles and very good accuracy, you may think they're weak but do not underestimate the power of 20mm cannons, especially when the Hornet can fire them for 13 seconds without stopping and the P.1056 gets more DPS than pretty much everything else in tier 8 (or you just take the 40mm nuke guns if you want THE highest DPS in tier 8.)

You mainly fight people from a medium range and shred them before they can really do much to you and use your huge boost pool to hold your speed longer than your foe. They're also good at intercepting/pursuing enemy aircraft due to their speed retention and medium-long range arsenal. You have the health to eat rear gunner fire, AA, or in a pinch from enemy players/bots.

You may wonder at this point "Well, what do I do against enemy HF's?" Sorry to say, but UK HF's are not very good at HF v. HF combat until the Javelin.

However they do have one trick up their sleeve; remember when I mentioned they have horrendous energy retention in turns? Well, they usually have some of the best deceleration in their tiers meaning that you can try to slow down and get your pursuer to overshoot, it's hard for other HF's to stick to them once they slam on the brakes. Keep in mind that you also have a health pool to eat some shots while trying to force an overshoot.

But, in general, combat with other HF's is strongly recommended against, they get similar enough speeds and boost times to try and stick with you and their firepower can chew through your health advantage faster than you'd think.

While it's been a while since I've interacted with them (bar the Javelin, would recommend getting it by the way) and thus cannot write a comprehensive guide on how to fly them, perhaps this might help a few people try to understand the Mosquito through Javelin a bit better. Just keep in mind every plane has their differences in this line so they need to utilize the traits I mentioned differently, and in some matches they're best left off as just cap-flippers with some ordinance attached while avoiding combat altogether.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

GonerNL #13 Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:35 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 696 battles

View PostReitousair, on 26 September 2018 - 01:04 AM, said:

But, in general, combat with other HF's is strongly recommended against, they get similar enough speeds and boost times to try and stick with you and their firepower can chew through your health advantage faster than you'd think.

Often at that alt you can not avoid fighting other HF's (Me-410, F7F ...) and most of the time it's not a problem.

It gets tricky with HF's that are more maneuverable than your Beaufighter or Hornet, like the P-38's ... one big advantage of the Beau is the turret, especially with gunner skills and equipment/ammo !!

hoom #14 Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3880 battles

Block Quote

you may think they're weak but do not underestimate the power of 20mm cannons, especially when the Hornet can fire them for 13 seconds without stopping and the P.1056 gets more DPS than pretty much everything else in tier 8 (or you just take the 40mm nuke guns if you want THE highest DPS in tier 8.)

Firepower certainly hasn't seemed an issue, 13s continuous fire on Hornet is pretty interesting & yeah P.1056 has terrifying firepower

but ugh that 'brickgility' looks so horrible.

Block Quote

in general, combat with other HF's is strongly recommended against

What do you try to engage instead? And what do you do to avoid them engaging you?

I have found it hard to actually hit Lights/Multiroles with Heavies at speed & its hard to get away with/earn much points from just killing GA/Bombers.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Reitousair #15 Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6334 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View Posthoom, on 26 September 2018 - 03:13 AM, said:

What do you try to engage instead? And what do you do to avoid them engaging you?

I have found it hard to actually hit Lights/Multiroles with Heavies at speed & its hard to get away with/earn much points from just killing GA/Bombers.

Anything that won't require you to bleed speed. So mainly enemies going head-on or running away from you. Just in general you're going to want to attack distracted targets and tear them apart before they can react. So... you can kill anything, just don't get tangled with anything either.

Edit: perhaps the easiest way to describe it: UK HF's are kings of horizontal BnZ, unlike the Germans and U.S. which are more about vertical BnZ. You do hit and runs rather than diving hits with diving/climbing escapes.

Edited by Reitousair, 26 September 2018 - 03:27 PM.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

SpiritFoxMY #16 Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2744 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Odd that I have had such a hard time in the Hornet then seeing as that's supposed to be the same playstyle as the Focke Wulfs. I guess its because I was carrying too much ordnance? I'm planning on leaving the rockets and just going with the bombs when I go back to it again.

GonerNL #17 Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 696 battles
Does the Hornet carry its bombs in a bomb bay ?? Otherwise they will have a negative effect on speed/maneuverability ...

SpiritFoxMY #18 Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2744 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostGonerNL, on 27 September 2018 - 05:19 PM, said:

Does the Hornet carry its bombs in a bomb bay ?? Otherwise they will have a negative effect on speed/maneuverability ...

No. They're external. However, according to the plane viewer, the penalty for bombs is slightly less than the penalty for rockets and if I take only one type of ordnance, the Hornet is theoratically the fastest thing flat out at that tier

GonerNL #19 Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 696 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 27 September 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

the Hornet is theoratically the fastest thing flat out at that tier

Except for the 109 Zwilling ...

I just got it (EU) and it's blerry fast !! And just a bit more maneuverable...

SpiritFoxMY #20 Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2744 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostGonerNL, on 27 September 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

Except for the 109 Zwilling ...

I just got it (EU) and it's blerry fast !! And just a bit more maneuverable...

Zwilling is faster in a dive, but the Hornet with only the bombs attached is faster in a flat run by 20kph

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 27 September 2018 - 12:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users