Calibration

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

SonicPariah #21 Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 416 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

Interesting thoughts about Calibration all around.

We are working to get at least a basic Tutorial in place for this system as it seems to have been overlooked by our Content Creators.

OldMagnetButt #22 Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:18 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 808 battles
That would be a help especially in light of how much you gain in one section and the penalty in the other part. It seems like the way to go as I have seen is to enhance first, then calibrate. Perhaps the content creators and the All-knowing Eugene can explain in the Holy Blog how this idea came about and what was its intentional effect on the game mechanics. The best thing that I like about it is when you get the better of some entity in their souped up job and you take them down in your little stock job.

Edited by cddlbunny0, 08 August 2018 - 06:21 AM.

blindfoId #23 Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:43 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 5 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 06 August 2018 - 08:37 PM, said:

Here's really the issue with "calibration".  In no way is it random.  How do I know?  Because invariably, the first calibration gives 6% enhancement, every time.  EVERY TIME.  On all planes.  Invariably, the next roll is negative.  Always.

If it was random, then these results could not happen.  Not would not - *could not*.  I think much of the anger addressed at this system is the fact that it appears rigged from the outset.  So much so that it's actually an insult to the intelligence of the players.  This one thing given us under 2.0.5 is the source of the vast majority of the complaints, because of how non-random it is.

I moved your post over here as it is not a question.

In case someone has missed the topic, I leave here the link to the post with the answer on the issue discussed in this thread. I would underline that it is the explanation how and why the system of calibration is supposed to work. Still, we have reports on the flaws of the system - like having a succession of negative rolls. 

We contacted the developers and explained the situation to make sure that your feedback is heard. The team plans to investigate the issue to see if there any problems with the algorithms or on the server side. So I kindly request you if you come across the situation when you've got over 10 negative rolls in a row, please, remember the time it happens and send me a message with the issue stating the problem (Calibration failure or smth like this will be enough) and the time of the incident. We would greatly appreciate it as your feedback will help us to collect the data needed.

upd: Here you can find the answer to this and some other questions. The topic is edited. 

BoredSights #24 Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:27 AM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 281 battles
Calibration reminds me of loot crates. I won't spend any more time or resources on calibrating.

CorvusCorvax #25 Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1329 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostblindfoId, on 08 August 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

So I kindly request you if you come across the situation when you've got over 10 negative rolls in a row, please, remember the time it happens and send me a message with the issue stating the problem (Calibration failure or smth like this will be enough) and the time of the incident. We would greatly appreciate it as your feedback will help us to collect the data needed.

OK, that's great - if I am reading this correctly, we could expect to roll the calibration dice ten times and get a negative every time, and WoWP developers would consider that a reasonable outcome.  But on the 11th negative roll, something is broken?  

After working hard to get equipment in order to have the resources to roll those dice ten times, why would I keep rolling them after the third or fourth attempt?  It is a waste of salvage and silver.  

I have a counter proposal:

WG gives me a pool of salvage and silver to play with, and I keep rolling and keeping track of the results, and report those results back.  That way, you have an actual test of the system from just a regular player that has the client loaded like every other actual player out there.

blindfoId #26 Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 5 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 08 August 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

OK, that's great - if I am reading this correctly, we could expect to roll the calibration dice ten times and get a negative every time, and WoWP developers would consider that a reasonable outcome.  But on the 11th negative roll, something is broken?  

After working hard to get equipment in order to have the resources to roll those dice ten times, why would I keep rolling them after the third or fourth attempt?  It is a waste of salvage and silver.  

I have a counter proposal:

WG gives me a pool of salvage and silver to play with, and I keep rolling and keeping track of the results, and report those results back.  That way, you have an actual test of the system from just a regular player that has the client loaded like every other actual player out there.

The probability of 5 consecutive unsuccessful calibrations is less than 1%, the probability of 10 consecutive unsuccessful calibrations is less than 0.001%.  So if if you get a strike of 10 negative rolls it is either something wrong or you are extremely unlucky (: 

MARS_REVENANT #27 Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:15 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3550 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Remember when gambling... the house always wins.  I prefer to save the materials used to enhance which is 100% guaranteed to boost your equipment stats.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

SlappedbyRommel #28 Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1370 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostblindfoId, on 08 August 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

The probability of 5 consecutive unsuccessful calibrations is less than 1%, the probability of 10 consecutive unsuccessful calibrations is less than 0.001%.  So if if you get a strike of 10 negative rolls it is either something wrong or you are extremely unlucky (: 

Sorry but need to disagree on that I also did calibration and rolled negatives 4 times in a row - I will no longer use calibration it is just not right and it is a poor mechanic if you state the probability is what you say. I am with C send out a test and let 10 random players test it.

CorvusCorvax #29 Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1329 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostblindfoId, on 08 August 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

IF, and that is a big "if", the rolls are 100% random.  But they aren't, and we all know they aren't.  The first roll gives a 6% bonus.  Every time.  The second roll is negative, every time.  These.  Are.  Not.  Random.

Here's the deal - we, all of us, know the system is not random.  Which is why the smarter players aren't even bothering to do it.  You don't play craps when you know the dice are loaded.

SpiritFoxMY #30 Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2185 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostblindfoId, on 08 August 2018 - 11:10 PM, said:

I just had seven consecutive negative rolls :(

But on the other hand I still won all my  matches tonight so I'm happy.

I think that saying that there's only 1% chance of 5 consecutive unsuccessful calibrations only sounds good in theory until you realize that a single player can make up to a dozen calibration rolls per game session. Assuming every player on the server is making an average of 5 rolls a night (and assuming there're 1000 people on at any one time), that's still a high likelihood of 10 unlucky sods getting 5 consecutive failed rolls a night. And for all the rest, there're still going to be others who fall into the sub 1% group (who probably pissed off a minor luck deity or something) who are going to lose six, seven, eight or nine (or ten) rolls in a row. And we, as humans, tend not to remember the things that go right and obsesses over what went wrong. 

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

mnbv_fockewulfe #31 Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:00 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 08 August 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

I just had seven consecutive negative rolls :(

But on the other hand I still won all my  matches tonight so I'm happy.

I think that saying that there's only 1% chance of 5 consecutive unsuccessful calibrations only sounds good in theory until you realize that a single player can make up to a dozen calibration rolls per game session. Assuming every player on the server is making an average of 5 rolls a night (and assuming there're 1000 people on at any one time), that's still a high likelihood of 10 unlucky sods getting 5 consecutive failed rolls a night. And for all the rest, there're still going to be others who fall into the sub 1% group (who probably pissed off a minor luck deity or something) who are going to lose six, seven, eight or nine (or ten) rolls in a row. And we, as humans, tend not to remember the things that go right and obsesses over what went wrong. 

Imagine if the game had a larger population. :trollface:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Cenotaph #32 Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:06 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2450 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Players: Hey guys, this is happening and it doesn't seem right

WG: You are wrong, it is not happening like that. We don't even play the game without just giving ourselves everything we need, but we know better than the people who have 1000's of battles...

Players: No, seriously guys, it's not working like you think it is...

Glad to see things don't change.

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you.

The_Wild_Weasel #33 Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:34 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1639 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostCenotaph, on 08 August 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

Players: Hey guys, this is happening and it doesn't seem right

WG: You are wrong, it is not happening like that. We don't even play the game without just giving ourselves everything we need, but we know better than the people who have 1000's of battles...

Players: No, seriously guys, it's not working like you think it is...

Glad to see things don't change.

2.05 , will be the "Death knell" to this game.......

WOT > I give them credit for the changes they are making

WOWS > those guys know what to do.

WOWP > like 3 stooges are running the operation. (I would compare to a certain person in a high ranking Presidential position , but I would get a warning for that for sure).

W_W

MagusGerhardt #34 Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:39 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Duterte.  You were gonna say Duterte, right?  

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

SpiritFoxMY #35 Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2185 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Orange Vader.

MagusGerhardt #36 Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:14 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
That's a mean thing to call Maduro.  :teethhappy:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

SpiritFoxMY #37 Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2185 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Orange Jesus?

ClosedCoffin #38 Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3406 battles
  • [MRCS] MRCS

On July 4th 2018 I fully calibrated an "ultimate Lightweight Wing Frame' from 400 to 478 tech level, straight through non stop.

I did not ACCEPT any negative rolls, only positive ones.

I have screen shots from the start and the finish, about 3 minutes apart according to pic details. (7:49PM to 7:52PM EDT if anyone's interested wink wink) 

I know I had at least one stretch of 10 negative rolls and another I think of 9 neg in a row.

I wish I would have taken a vid of the process.

Anyway according to my screen shots I spent 467,600 credits doing it.

One roll costs 16700cr according to the final screen shot.

That divides out to 28 calibration rolls if the price is the same each time.

Bad luck indeed.

I haven't calibrated anything since but I will take a vid next time if I try again.

Late Edit To Admins, if you can find this calibration log and I am mistaken about these extended losing streaks please feel free to let me know here on this forum thread.

The truth is important for us all to know.

Edited by ClosedCoffin, 09 August 2018 - 01:33 PM.

Blast_Radius1 #39 Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1325 battles

View PostClosedCoffin, on 09 August 2018 - 05:08 AM, said:

On July 4th 2018 I fully calibrated an "ultimate Lightweight Wing Frame' from 400 to 478 tech level, straight through non stop.

I did not ACCEPT any negative rolls, only positive ones.

I have screen shots from the start and the finish, about 3 minutes apart according to pic details. (7:49PM to 7:52PM EDT if anyone's interested wink wink) 

I know I had at least one stretch of 10 negative rolls and another I think of 9 neg in a row.

I wish I would have taken a vid of the process.

Anyway according to my screen shots I spent 467,600 credits doing it.

One roll costs 16700cr according to the final screen shot.

That divides out to 28 calibration rolls if the price is the same each time.

Bad luck indeed.

I haven't calibrated anything since but I will take a vid next time if I try again.

Can anyone else smell that? I think there's something rotten in the state Den...Ukraine.

blindfoId #40 Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 5 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 08 August 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

IF, and that is a big "if", the rolls are 100% random.  But they aren't, and we all know they aren't.  The first roll gives a 6% bonus.  Every time.  The second roll is negative, every time.  These.  Are.  Not.  Random.

The first roll cannot be negative as, when you calibrate your equipment for the first time, the technological level is zero. It cannot have negative values. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users