Humor - From RU WoWP with love, your free gift

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:51 PM

Captain

• 25 battles

I found something that wold give you a giggle from the RU WoWP Region

Block Quote

From August 1 to September 1, look in the Premium store for gold, premium days, free slots and a Grumman XF4F-3 gift fighter! 

However when looking closer:

Block Quote

CONTENT:
DAYS ACCOUNT PREMIUM: 30
BONUS  IV GRUMMAN XF4F-3
BONUS 100% CREW
BONUS SLOT IN THE HANGAR

Cost: $10

Granted WG is a business, and they have to sell things. However the language used for the sell to describe the deal has been dumbed down way to much.  I would have said "and we will throw in an extra plane with the deal", like getting the fourth tire at no cost. The word "gift" is a bad choice. I guess "gift" means something else in Kiev. BTW, there is a great discussion on the RU WoWP forums on the definition of the word "gift".

RU WoWP forum source link

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 01 August 2018 - 12:57 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

pyantoryng #2 Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:54 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1494 battles
Sounds like "poison" to me :trollface:

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

blindfoId #3 Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 5 battles

I guess that is the notorious translation difficulties. In the Russian language this "gift" corresponds to the English "free" when we talk about special offers. Like "Buy 2 get 1 free". So the players are just playing upon words.

Look at the bundle, it costs like 30-Days Premium so yes, the plane is literally for free.

jack_wdw #4 Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 727 battles
Why would you even want that premium plane?
It sucks so bad, worst plane in my hangar.

FlakValleyExpress #5 Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:02 PM

Captain

• 25 battles

View PostblindfoId, on 01 August 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

I guess that is the notorious translation difficulties. In the Russian language this "gift" corresponds to the English "free" when we talk about special offers. Like "Buy 2 get 1 free". So the players are just playing upon words.

Look at the bundle, it costs like 30-Days Premium so yes, the plane is literally for free.

Then why not say Free? It would solve the syntax on intent for the sale. Mind you, I want you guys to be successful.

Vae victis

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

mnbv_fockewulfe #6 Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:20 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 01 August 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

Then why not say Free? It would solve the syntax on intent for the sale. Mind you, I want you guys to be successful.

Because they use Google translate with minor editing.:trollface:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

blindfoId #7 Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:37 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 5 battles

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 01 August 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

It is an idiom. Though we can say "Buy smth and get smth for free" the word "gift" is pretty common.

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 01 August 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

Because they use Google translate with minor editing.:trollface:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the quote from RU announcement translated into English through Google translate or something, not an official translation for NA or EU, right? As far as I can see on our portal there's no word "gift" so...

FlakValleyExpress #8 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:01 PM

Captain

• 25 battles

View PostblindfoId, on 01 August 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the quote from RU announcement translated into English through Google translate or something, not an official translation for NA or EU, right? As far as I can see on our portal there's no word "gift" so...

I used two different language scrubbers and both came to the same conclusion on the word "gift". Maybe they use the same language engine?

Vae victis

Lou #9 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 37 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I got that plane for real 'Free' some time ago.

ArrowZ_ #10 Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:15 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 950 battles

This might have been already obvious. But I do believe blindfold can translate Russian for us... :hiding:

Or I could be wrong in which case ignore this assumption.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

CorvusCorvax #11 Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1329 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostblindfoId, on 01 August 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

It may be worthwhile to have a native English speaker look at the product descriptions before they are published.  That way, idiomatic speech issues will not make it to publication.

"Buy 30 days of Premium, and get the following things free!

Plane

Pilot

Hangar Slot"

Or:

"Buy 30 days of Premium, and get the following gifts:

Plane

Pilot

Hangar slot"

There was a similar issue a few months ago where the word "camouflage" came up as a description for a particular paint scheme as could be applied to a plane.  In the game, "camouflage" has a meaning, and more importantly, a bonus that comes with it.  That's why you buy it for gold.  As applied to a particular special paint scheme, it might not actually be camouflage as purchased in-game.  This caused confusion and consternation among some members of the WG community, who thought they were getting detection bonuses when buying a particular plane, when in reality all they were getting was a unique paint scheme.  Heading off that sort of easily-prevented customer service problem ahead of time might be worth the effort.

Edited by CorvusCorvax, 02 August 2018 - 04:54 PM.

SonicPariah #12 Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:50 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 416 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 02 August 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

It may be worthwhile to have a native English speaker look at the product descriptions before they are published.  That way, idiomatic speech issues will not make it to publication.

"Buy 30 days of Premium, and get the following things free!

Plane

Pilot

Hangar Slot"

Or:

"Buy 30 days of Premium, and get the following gifts:

Plane

Pilot

Hangar slot"

There was a similar issue a few months ago where the word "camouflage" came up as a description for a particular paint scheme as could be applied to a plane.  In the game, "camouflage" has a meaning, and more importantly, a bonus that comes with it.  That's why you buy it for gold.  As applied to a particular special paint scheme, it might not actually be camouflage as purchased in-game.  This caused confusion and consternation among some members of the WG community, who thought they were getting detection bonuses when buying a particular plane, when in reality all they were getting was a unique paint scheme.  Heading off that sort of easily-prevented customer service problem ahead of time might be worth the effort.

That is definitely something we are striving to do in the future.

Hence why we are getting additional new Community people on-boarded as we speak.

blindfoId #13 Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 5 battles

View PostArrowZ_, on 02 August 2018 - 07:15 AM, said:

This might have been already obvious. But I do believe blindfold can translate Russian for us... :hiding:

Or I could be wrong in which case ignore this assumption.

Yes, sure I can (:

CorvusCorvax

Although I do not deny advantages of native speakers checking the news and articles and so on (honestly, it is a genuinely good idea) this particular one has nothing to do with the issue.

The OP took the RU title for the RU announcement from the RU official portal and translated it into English. Of course the Google Translator or some other service used by the OP did not grab the essence of the sentence which sounds perfectly normal in Russian and translated it literally - word for word. 

CorvusCorvax #14 Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1329 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostblindfoId, on 07 August 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

Yes, sure I can (:

CorvusCorvax

Although I do not deny advantages of native speakers checking the news and articles and so on (honestly, it is a genuinely good idea) this particular one has nothing to do with the issue.

The OP took the RU title for the RU announcement from the RU official portal and translated it into English. Of course the Google Translator or some other service used by the OP did not grab the essence of the sentence which sounds perfectly normal in Russian and translated it literally - word for word. 

Thanks for the clarification.  While this one particular case might be a problem with a literal translation applied by an algorithm, it is not the only case.  That is why I provided another example.  Once is bad luck.  Twice is a mistake.  More than twice is a pattern.

It works that way when you're flying, too.  Hey, why does that guy keep shooting me down???

NorthernPorter #15 Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1509 battles

View PostLou, on 01 August 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

I got that plane for real 'Free' some time ago.

How and where did you get it free? It may not be good but can't pass on a free plane!

FlakValleyExpress #16 Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:41 AM

Captain

• 25 battles

View PostblindfoId, on 07 August 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

That's funny. Even your RU WoWP pilots question the "idiom' you guys are using for the word "gift" on the RU WoWP forum. And BTW Yandex is mostly what I use and not Google. I guess you guys dislike the word "free", but then again WoWP is a "free to play" game, unless you want to Big Brother Newspeak those words too. Bless your heart.

Vae victis

blindfoId #17 Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:55 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 5 battles

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 08 August 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

That's funny. Even your RU WoWP pilots question the "idiom' you guys are using for the word "gift" on the RU WoWP forum. And BTW Yandex is mostly what I use and not Google. I guess you guys dislike the word "free", but then again WoWP is a "free to play" game, unless you want to Big Brother Newspeak those words too. Bless your heart.

As I said

View PostblindfoId, on 01 August 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

So the players are just playing upon words.

It is a pun, not a questioning. 

I am a native Russian speaker, I know what I am talking about. Anyways, I tried to explain :hiding:

Prenzlau #18 Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4787 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Is this what some people have digressed to? Arguing and pointing out semantics across languages? What's next? What they eat for lunch? The weather?
Can we leave these people alone over trival matters? I imagine they don't get paid enough to deal with this type of nonsense.

Prenzlau

The Zigfreid & Prenzlau Bombing Company

"We're not just delivering the mail..."

FlakValleyExpress #19 Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:39 PM

Captain

• 25 battles

View PostPrenzlau, on 08 August 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Is this what some people have digressed to? Arguing and pointing out semantics across languages? What's next? What they eat for lunch? The weather?
Can we leave these people alone over trival matters? I imagine they don't get paid enough to deal with this type of nonsense.

Prenzlau

Vae victis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users