Why am I losing enthusiasm?

losing enthusiasm

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Captain_Underpants53 #1 Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:38 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 12598 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

Here I am with three hours left in the event and what am I doing?  One finger typing in the forum instead of playing.  I have been pondering this question since it percolated up to my conscious brain that I have been playing less and enjoying it less for awhile now.  Why?

I started playing this 15 months ago with 1,9 and immediately was hooked.  Addicted would not be too strong a word to use.  At least 12 hours a day, 24/7. I was doing 40-45 battles a day, day in and day out.

Then came 2.0.  Hated it at first but I came around after awhile. Then I discovered bombers!  Back to 12+ hours every day.  Have I mentioned I am retired?  But not quite as many battles as before. Maybe  30-35 battles a day. More breaks more frequently.

Then came 2.5 and the 14th of June. I kinda liked it from the start.  I had a you-know-what pot of tokens and silver saved so I just Spec'd my bombers on day one.  It never occurred to me until others pointed it out that I was basically paying twice for bombers I had already gotten to where I wanted them.  But OK, I suppose, it was still fun to play.  Until I noticed something.  I got real stupid about bombing after the 14th of June.  I finally managed to get Ultimate 478 on everything on all six bombers. But WTH!?  NO improvement?  Playing less and enjoying it less.  More and more finding other things to do.  Rarely getting in more than around 25 battles in a day. Started feeling like a job I only kinda liked once in a while.

I am sure someone will point out that I am failing to adjust to change and there is probably some truth in that.  But with almost 10,000 battles, over 85% in bombers, why is my win ratio headed for the dumpster?  Did I mention I am 70?  I  must confess to some inflexibility, but still.  Before the 14th of June my win ratio was on an upward slope.  Now it's been sliding down, sometimes rapidly.

So back to, why?  I really don't know.  More buggy?  Can't deny it.  Losing more frequently?  Can't deny it.  Longer queue times?  Not really but fewer players involved when battles finally do start.  Frustration with Support?  Oh yes.  I really wonder.  Am I just finally burned out?  What do you think?

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

The_Wild_Weasel #2 Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1775 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

I lost my enthusiasm with 2.05. end of story.

grind more

pay more

spin the roulette wheel

start over again 

collect stuff like WOW..orange/blue/purple ...lol 

And this is supposed to be fun ?...... notta chance..... 

oh did I tell you about my torpedo boat Im playing now ....darn fun ... I might add.

W_W 

Edited by The_Wild_Weasel, 23 July 2018 - 04:52 PM.

SlappedbyRommel #3 Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1838 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostThe_Wild_Weasel, on 23 July 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

I lost my enthusiasm with 2.05. end of story.

grind more

pay more

spin the roulette wheel

start over again 

collect stuff like WOW..orange/blue/purple ...lol 

And this is supposed to be fun ?...... notta chance..... 

oh did I tell you about my torpedo boat Im playing now ....darn fun ... I might add.

W_W 

Been down the WOW road and that is why I stopped playing orange, blue, purple..........grind, grind and more grinding

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #4 Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:24 PM

Captain

• 675 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 23 July 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

Here I am with three hours left in the event and what am I doing?  One finger typing in the forum instead of playing.  I have been pondering this question since it percolated up to my conscious brain that I have been playing less and enjoying it less for awhile now.  Why?

I started playing this 15 months ago with 1,9 and immediately was hooked.  Addicted would not be too strong a word to use.  At least 12 hours a day, 24/7. I was doing 40-45 battles a day, day in and day out.

Then came 2.0.  Hated it at first but I came around after awhile. Then I discovered bombers!  Back to 12+ hours every day.  Have I mentioned I am retired?  But not quite as many battles as before. Maybe  30-35 battles a day. More breaks more frequently.

Then came 2.5 and the 14th of June. I kinda liked it from the start.  I had a you-know-what pot of tokens and silver saved so I just Spec'd my bombers on day one.  It never occurred to me until others pointed it out that I was basically paying twice for bombers I had already gotten to where I wanted them.  But OK, I suppose, it was still fun to play.  Until I noticed something.  I got real stupid about bombing after the 14th of June.  I finally managed to get Ultimate 478 on everything on all six bombers. But WTH!?  NO improvement?  Playing less and enjoying it less.  More and more finding other things to do.  Rarely getting in more than around 25 battles in a day. Started feeling like a job I only kinda liked once in a while.

I am sure someone will point out that I am failing to adjust to change and there is probably some truth in that.  But with almost 10,000 battles, over 85% in bombers, why is my win ratio headed for the dumpster?  Did I mention I am 70?  I  must confess to some inflexibility, but still.  Before the 14th of June my win ratio was on an upward slope.  Now it's been sliding down, sometimes rapidly.

So back to, why?  I really don't know.  More buggy?  Can't deny it.  Losing more frequently?  Can't deny it.  Longer queue times?  Not really but fewer players involved when battles finally do start.  Frustration with Support?  Oh yes.  I really wonder.  Am I just finally burned out?  What do you think?

I think it comes down to human interaction...

not just within clans or even subgroups, but overall

in the entire game... forum, hanger chatbox game chat ...

oh yeah all the cross clan interactions

the human factor has been replaced with bots and boredom

in other words, I feel your pain brother

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Prenzlau #5 Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5654 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 23 July 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

There needs to be some needed adjustments for bombers. High level bombing is not as effective and the AA is brutal. It has forced some dedicated bomber players into tree top bombing out of necessity. Either the bombers need more protection and the AA damage decreased, or low level bombing will be the only way to survive and be effective. 

As a bomber player, who only wants the bomber community to increase. I understand and agree with the Captain's sentiments. It would be a tragic loss to lose such a dedicated bomber who has been flying his bombers with honor and devotion. There are some issues that I would just state the "adjust and overcome" argument, but not this time. If bombers are not able to fly and be effective the way they are supposed to, high level bombing, then that is an inherent flaw with the logic of the game. And yes I realize there are a lot of such flaws. 

I respect anyone who flies a bomber and has the wherewithal to learn the craft and I stand in solidarity with them. From this moment forth I shall add my voice to their's and lobby for much needed changes. 

Prenzlau

The Zigfreid & Prenzlau Bombing Company

"We're not just delivering the mail..."

clodhoppr #6 Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1077 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 23 July 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

I think it comes down to human interaction...

not just within clans or even subgroups, but overall

in the entire game... forum, hanger chatbox game chat ...

oh yeah all the cross clan interactions

the human factor has been replaced with bots and boredom

in other words, I feel your pain brother

I completely agree...!

Before 2.0, before 1.9, and before 1.5 there was this game when 15 on 15 players was the always.

Having a bunch of clan-buddies on TS laughing and having a great time was the addiction, in addition to the game. 

Remember those days ABC? 

Today, this game has been programmed and reprogrammed into a disaster, a joke. 

Nobody plays anymore. I haven't played in over 2 weeks (maybe 3 - lost count).

The last time I played it was 1 v 1 with a bunch of bots. 

I played one game and walked away. Maybe for good...

Thanks Wargaming!! 

SlappedbyRommel #7 Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1838 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 23 July 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

No you are not burnt out you are playing a game that you found pleasure in playing but now it has changed making it less enjoyable I am in the same boat I liked 2.0 easy, fun and used all my planes to quickly get into games spent some cash. Now its not as fun yes more losses with more frustration on the bots, AA plus the ADA and now not spending a dime. I feel for you but does WG most likely not which really is too bad.

MadJackChurchil #8 Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:42 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1245 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 23 July 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

Feel kinda the same (except I have never played as much as you - I am not retired from work, I am just tired from work). Pre 2.0 was a bit monotonous, but fun. I got quite used to post-2.0 and if there were more players, the game would be definitely great.

The new patch is a bit [edited]. Probably less people (on higher tiers), too... but the grid. Currently I do not have time to play few hours per day (an hour max on some days). Now with all the god damn "grind, gridn, grind and then buy a magic ring of fire", I know I will be often facing planes that are well better than mine. Skills, sure, I can get better. But within my time constrains I will not be able to grind too much (and no, WG, I am not paying money for this just so you turn my Me262 into a fuckin' unicorn in the next patch). The result - sold some of my planes, and decided to play just 4 planes to actually get them into competitive configuration. Would like to play mo Dornier bombers more, but don't have time to grind them too... and Special Conf's will be killing me if I don't. Good luck new players, welcome to the game where bots decide the matches and where doesnt matter what you do your planes will be outperformed by the same planes just cause they play longer/

btw, I am sorry you are disappointed. I think yesterday you and few other people with SpecialConf'ed RB-17 were turning my games into a loss fest :] . One or two low-flying RB-17 in enemy team, well, good luck. Cap fast, cannot catch them, even if you can, they just shoot you down... and they can almost outmaneuver Me262 (but a stationary mountain can outmaneuver me262, so its probably not your fault).

Edited by MadJackChurchil, 23 July 2018 - 08:45 PM.

Captain_Underpants53 #9 Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:52 PM

• 12598 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostMadJackChurchil, on 23 July 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Feel kinda the same (except I have never played as much as you - I am not retired from work, I am just tired from work). Pre 2.0 was a bit monotonous, but fun. I got quite used to post-2.0 and if there were more players, the game would be definitely great.

The new patch is a bit [edited]. Probably less people (on higher tiers), too... but the grid. Currently I do not have time to play few hours per day (an hour max on some days). Now with all the god damn "grind, gridn, grind and then buy a magic ring of fire", I know I will be often facing planes that are well better than mine. Skills, sure, I can get better. But within my time constrains I will not be able to grind too much (and no, WG, I am not paying money for this just so you turn my Me262 into a fuckin' unicorn in the next patch). The result - sold some of my planes, and decided to play just 4 planes to actually get them into competitive configuration. Would like to play mo Dornier bombers more, but don't have time to grind them too... and Special Conf's will be killing me if I don't. Good luck new players, welcome to the game where bots decide the matches and where doesnt matter what you do your planes will be outperformed by the same planes just cause they play longer/

btw, I am sorry you are disappointed. I think yesterday you and few other people with SpecialConf'ed RB-17 were turning my games into a loss fest :] . One or two low-flying RB-17 in enemy team, well, good luck. Cap fast, cannot catch them, even if you can, they just shoot you down... and they can almost outmaneuver Me262 (but a stationary mountain can outmaneuver me262, so its probably not your fault).

This might be the main reason for my malaise.  Matchmaking is a joke.  I wind up in matches with higher tier players about four to five times as often as I have the higher tier plane.  Doesn't seem very fair. 

Often the determining factor in win or lose is the dadburn bots.  Being first in defeat ain't all that satisfying under those conditions.  It is especially galling when you lose and your single opponent was AFK for the entire match!  WTH!?  Why not just flip a coin and save us some time and aggravation?

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #10 Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

Captain

• 675 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postclodhoppr, on 23 July 2018 - 01:31 PM, said:

I completely agree...!

Before 2.0, before 1.9, and before 1.5 there was this game when 15 on 15 players was the always.

Having a bunch of clan-buddies on TS laughing and having a great time was the addiction, in addition to the game. 

Remember those days ABC? 

Today, this game has been programmed and reprogrammed into a disaster, a joke. 

Nobody plays anymore. I haven't played in over 2 weeks (maybe 3 - lost count).

The last time I played it was 1 v 1 with a bunch of bots. 

I played one game and walked away. Maybe for good...

Thanks Wargaming!! 

Keep checking in if for nothing else but the Forum Game™ (you rank in the top 50 all time HOF)

it (2.0.wth) won't last too long like this... it really is unsustainable in it's present form

I'm not predicting an amazing replacement for the 2.0 fiasco but,

maybe... a coinflip chance of a good game (yeah, always the optimist)

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

hamhockjones #11 Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8887 battles
I Feel your pain and frustration. I am an older guy myself. I started playing because I am an adrenalin junkie. Speed and explosions and dogfighting is a great rush. No offense to bombers but to me flying around in circles at 40mph dropping bombs on stationary targets just so I can score high just never felt rewarding to me. Very low risk flying so high that only a few planes can even reach you with an automatic rear gunner just seems like not very much skill required. Hence the players playing that are new suddenly are great bombers scoring higher than fighters that win 16 dogfights. Makes no sense to me! For example, how many great bomber pilots can anyone name? We can all name several great fighter pilots because they were held high during war time. They are ACES. How many ace bombers have you ever heard of? Fighters in this game have nothing to do with winning anymore. Its all about bombers and stationary targets. It takes about as much skill to sit on the toilet and drop bombs into the water.  lol   Your fighters can dominate, out score, out fly, out kill, and it means nothing in the winning of a battle anymore ! It used to mean everything and now it means nothing in this game. The design has gone to the wayside and makes zero sense in a warplane combat game. They should call it world of mad bombers and just remove all fighter planes because that is what has really happened. I have over 500 million credits and they are worthless, I have over 700 tokens and they are worthless because buying gold lol, I have plenty of gold already. And premium for 30 days, why? so I can get more credits.. What a big joke....HAM

Fliyntiger #12 Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:27 AM

Master Sergeant

• 856 battles

View Posthamhockjones, on 23 July 2018 - 04:15 PM, said:

How many ace bombers have you ever heard of?

Um, Jimmie Doolittle? Ok, technically, not an ace, but a bomber pilot that SOME people remember... Though come to think of it, they did their best work at tree top level too..

However I am in agreement with you, I've had time & I've haunted the forums & discord, but I look at my joystick & go "meh"..

Edited by Fliyntiger, 24 July 2018 - 12:29 AM.

I can’t promise that if you choose to fight, that there will ever be a victory…or a day that we can step down and say our work is finished. Our lives are the sum total of thousand of choices. And the burden of that freedom is sometimes too much to bear. But you won’t have to do it alone anymore. We will find a better way..

Together.

Zigfreid #13 Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 8593 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 23 July 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

#1 Your NO to pilots who asked to fly with you.

#2 Your pick of clan not being so active.

#3 Your 0.7 something air kills per game.

#4 Your one and only ace in a low tier.

#5 Your whining about the game and low stats.

Sounds like you are are ready to quit WELL?

Perco_lator #14 Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:52 AM

• 11 battles

View PostZigfreid, on 23 July 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

Not everybody can be a win at all cost trihard like you Erd.

"Come find me in the game, tough guy.  We'll see who knows stuff."

ArrowZ_ #15 Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:01 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

Yep. Made a similar thread about this same problem that I'm going through as well. Except for the lowered winrate and losses (I find it quite easy to manipulate bots for wins most of the time). But yea also on the same boat nonetheless. Most definitely going to shelf or otherwise uninstall WOWP after my thunderstreak grind goal and move on to other things. It's simple though. All they have to do to keep me playing this title is to re-patch 2.0.5 with all the feedbacks from the community implemented. Far too many times I've seen patches driven by developer's choices and not what the community wants in the game... Sure community driven content can sometimes backfire and may hurt the game in some ways. But in the case of WOWP it really needs the input of the playerbase that have stuck around with this game since the beginning of 2.0 or 1.x or beta. In my time being here I've yet to see any recognition from any developer stating the 1000s of ideas presented in this forum or in EU/RU was a good idea and they'll 100% add it as additional content.

And it isn't really the matter of poor development choices towards content although it always often is the case with this game. It's just plain bad development. The poor execution of this patch that limits its potential to be a great update. Lack in foresight. Lack in consideration for the players in providing the necessary info & guides to ease into this overly complicated system, Lack in pre-testing for something this big to slap on top of 2.0 that redefines the current meta into something unknown and unheard of with WOWP. Whilst also taking over 6 months to implement this update - makes it look like a big waste of time and resources put into this lackluster patch.

I also find it amusing how it's taking these developers eons to move into the main hub for receiving feedback/suggestions about their game in the forums and instead settling for a third party app like Discord... I was naive into thinking that this group would be active and engaging in the amount of feedback that the community was pumping out in these forums in all 3 regions. But overtime I knew better. And not much has changed now.

/my2cents-rant-w/e

Edited by ArrowZ_, 24 July 2018 - 02:54 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #16 Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:03 AM

Captain

• 675 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostPerco_lator, on 23 July 2018 - 08:52 PM, said:

Not everybody can be a win at all cost trihard like you Erd.

someone either hacked his account or we have a dosing issue

Captain_Underpants53 #17 Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:14 AM

• 12598 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostZigfreid, on 23 July 2018 - 08:11 PM, said:

#1 Your NO to pilots who asked to fly with you.

#2 Your pick of clan not being so active.

#3 Your 0.7 something air kills per game.

#4 Your one and only ace in a low tier.

#5 Your whining about the game and low stats.

Sounds like you are are ready to quit WELL?

Trust you to turn a serious question I had into a personal attack.  Will you EVER forgive me for breaking your record in the Hall of Fame?  NAH!  I didn't think so.

:child:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Bobby_Tables #18 Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 3612 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostFliyntiger, on 23 July 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

Um, Jimmie Doolittle? Ok, technically, not an ace, but a bomber pilot that SOME people remember... Though come to think of it, they did their best work at tree top level too..

Man, I read a lot about General Kenney of the 5th air force in WWII (Pacific).  His group perfected low level bombing including innvovations like skip-bombing and using parafrags to great affect.  They are the reason B-25s got so many forward weapons and I think the big cannons on the P-38 class (I could be wrong on that point).  They went from a rag tag force of few planes to a total PIA to the IJN and IJA in the South Pacific.  

Good stuff to read up on if you are bored with the game.  He really put together a great force that took the battle to the enemy and kicked some serious butt using very unconventional tactics with very few resources.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 24 July 2018 - 02:27 AM.

ArrowZ_ #19 Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:27 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles
Forgot to add. Sifting through my Steam library of backlogged games I've missed has been a breath of fresh air than what's going on here.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

FIight #20 Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:54 AM

• 4136 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 23 July 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

​No kidding but bombers & GAAs should be killed more frequently and expect constant loss instead of winning everything without

any aerial combat skill. The game will only return to normal state if there is a balance between ground pounders and other planes.

Also tagged with losing, enthusiasm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users