Dornier Do.17 Z-7 Kauz - Aus Russia Mit Love

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:31 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 526 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Continuing from the work done in the last video, I'm continuing to approach the game from the position of a newcomer and presenting how to approach the most recent changes to the game.  Following up on the work done with the Bf.109B the next aircraft on the list is a German heavy fighter; specifically the tier III premium Dornier bomber to night fighter conversion.

Much of the same rules apply here as with the 109; keep your speed high, use altitude to store potential energy and to set up your attack on enemy aircraft, and above all avoid extending turning engagements to prevent excessive energy loss.  All pilot skills and equipment choices should be made with these foundations in mind.  Pilots should take both engine guru skills and it is player choice after those are acquired.  Gunner skills are mostly irrelevant on German aircraft, but the Do.17 heavy fighter is a rare exception as the 7.92mm MG she has is still relevant when being fired at tier II and III aircraft.  My personal preference is for extending the range of the gun and getting critical hits, but I take manual control of mine quite often.  If you leave that up to autofire the Quick Aim ability might be useful instead.

Equipment wise I recommend the gunsight to increase her already considerable gun damage potential, then the speed boosting engine equipment.  Finally, I took the rate of fire increase despite its accuracy debuff; the Dornier has a very tight firing pattern and ironically the increased dispersion leads to a wider cone of fire that makes it easier to hit a wildly maneuvering enemy fighter.

Consumables are player preference, but I recommend the Fire Extinguisher and Pneumatic Restarter.  The Engine Cooling bug is just as broken on this thing and if you don't feel bad exploiting that, it's on you.  :P

Like the 109B the Do.17Z conversion works best in a team, but as demonstrated here can still perform solo without a tail-clearing wingman if your instincts are good and your enemy has no idea how to counter what you are doing.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #2 Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:56 PM

Captain

• 675 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

good reminders on a simple aircraft...

play by it's rules and it rewards

good vid mag

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

MagusGerhardt #3 Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:30 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 526 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 18 July 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

good reminders on a simple aircraft...

play by it's rules and it rewards

good vid mag

Just remember not to get so overconfident that you fly into a mountain!  :ohmy:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

MelBrooks #4 Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 12 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 18 July 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

Just remember not to get so overconfident that you fly into a mountain!  :ohmy:

Those radar towers on the old maps were my nemesis occasionally :hiding:

MagusGerhardt #5 Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:17 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 526 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMelBrooks, on 18 July 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

Those radar towers on the old maps were my nemesis occasionally :hiding:

And then there was that time that I loaded in *beneath the map's topography.  That was neat.  Good times.  :playing:

trikke #6 Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2260 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

video proves that in-game pilot skill boosts are just peanuts, compared to the natural skills of master pilot Magus

thumbed-up and subscribed, brother!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users