Summary

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Captain_Underpants53 #21 Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:02 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 12777 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

I remember 1.9 with fondness.  Mainly for the lack of glitches and the dog fighting aspect.  sigh  :facepalm:

I forgot to mention the frame rates.  :facepalm::facepalm:

Edited by Captain_Underpants53, 13 July 2018 - 11:01 AM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

MelBrooks #22 Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 12 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Several of you have PM'ed me and asked, " why are you not playing 2.0 ?" My answer is very simple. The flight mechanics and physics. Absolutely dreadful and complete regression. I can handle the new format: command centers, respawn ( although not liked, can handle ), capture points, bombers, etc. IMHO, the flight mechanics resemble WT in 2014 or earlier, and they were bad. Unfortunately the other title has made a lot of refinements, mostly to the positive on mechanics and physics.

Prenzlau #23 Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5766 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostMelBrooks, on 12 July 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

Here we are gentlemen. I've spent some time reading the forums and have been contacted by many an old timer to this game discussing the current scenario. For all the new and returning players to 2.0, do not feel alone. We understand your plight because we have been there so many times before. As many of you have conveyed to me, new and old, how could they go backwards. Gentlemen, they have always gone backwards, usually in the manner of three small steps up the stairs and then we all tumble down to the bottom.

To the WG staff and developers, I would really like to understand the thought processes and decision making behind these changes. Being a former business owner and current educator, I simply can not grasp the reasoning and conclusions you made to institute these latest changes. 

Now 2.0 has been out for nearly nine months, and many old and newer players in this time period have built a very solid game experience and skill to this game. These latest changes remind me so much of all the  numerous attempts in 1.xxxx to  " leveling the playing field." As we recounted before: three man flights removed, mm based on skill level leading to awful wait times, higher rated players getting novice bots versus lower rated players getting veteran bots. We can go on and on about all this, but why should we, it's in the past.

The developers have never grasped a very simple concept that so many other gaming entities firmly understand. You will have players of many skill levels, therefore, you have to have different scenarios and game mechanisms that accommodate these players. Clan wars and high tier skirmish mode ( 5 on 5 with bonus xp and rewards ) would have given an outlet to your skilled player base. The only outlet they have ever had are player derived tournaments. Your current World of Warships title takes many of these facts into consideration and developed a game with co-op battles, random battles, special operations, ranked battles, and clan battles. 

I leave you some advice. Several years ago, we were working with Mercedes Truck in Europe. When they received bids on supplied parts, I never saw or heard of them accepting the lowest bid. One day I asked one of purchasing managers about this. He said all suppliers are stringently reviewed by engineering and operations, and the lowest bids are usually determined to be a significant risk to quality and production. They wanted their customers to get the best possible parts in their vehicle because in their analysis the biggest reason customers returned to Mercedes Truck for a purchase was their trouble free experience they had previously. Take it for what it is worth, but there is solid advice and wisdom in that rationale.

While I don't agree 100% with everything Mel has written, I like how it is written and I do agree with a large majority of what he wrote. This is a really nice way to be critical, not too long, everything on point, not over the top emotional, personal analogy story added in, I like it. Any disagreement would simply be opinion based, for example, I don't feel the game is as bad as people portray it. Why? That might become a lengthy reply, but the essence would simply be based on expectations and attitudes. However, it is easy to understand other people's opinions and attitudes when they post them in this form (Mel's post above) versus some highly emotional rant that is simplistic and chaotic to understand. 

It is a great post by someone who thought things through and articulated them in a good way. 

Prenzlau

The Zigfreid & Prenzlau Bombing Company

"We're not just delivering the mail..."

Bobby_Tables #24 Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 3722 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostBlast_Radius1, on 13 July 2018 - 02:25 AM, said:

As developers, 2.0 actually saw them shift from 2nd gear to 3rd. 2.05 sees them go for 4th gear, accidentally get reverse, at which point the drive train seizes solid and the engine leaps out from under the hood.

How the hell could they get it so very wrong?

Very easily. As discussed above this development group has a total disdain for the players. When I watched the video for this latest disaster I could tell they had no clue what the player base desires. The thing that amazes me is why the corporate offic would put up with this for so long. The development group (Persha Studio) has a multi year track record of incompetence and total neglect for the player base.  Wargaming is either super cheap or Persha Studio has incriminating pictures of Victor with a cocker spaniel. Otherwise I cannot figure out how this "development" studio continues to survive under Wargaming. 

Blast_Radius1 #25 Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1325 battles

View PostBobby_Tables, on 15 July 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

Very easily. As discussed above this development group has a total disdain for the players. When I watched the video for this latest disaster I could tell they had no clue what the player base desires. The thing that amazes me is why the corporate offic would put up with this for so long. The development group (Persha Studio) has a multi year track record of incompetence and total neglect for the player base.  Wargaming is either super cheap or Persha Studio has incriminating pictures of Victor with a cocker spaniel. Otherwise I cannot figure out how this "development" studio continues to survive under Wargaming. 

Though I shudder when I think of it, the possession of incriminating evidence is the only reason I can think of as to why this very frustrating situation has been allowed to continue.

Blast_Radius1 #26 Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1325 battles

View PostPrenzlau, on 13 July 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

While I don't agree 100% with everything Mel has written, I like how it is written and I do agree with a large majority of what he wrote. This is a really nice way to be critical, not too long, everything on point, not over the top emotional, personal analogy story added in, I like it. Any disagreement would simply be opinion based, for example, I don't feel the game is as bad as people portray it. Why? That might become a lengthy reply, but the essence would simply be based on expectations and attitudes. However, it is easy to understand other people's opinions and attitudes when they post them in this form (Mel's post above) versus some highly emotional rant that is simplistic and chaotic to understand. 

It is a great post by someone who thought things through and articulated them in a good way. 

Prenzlau

Agreed. Mel has expressed the puzzlement and frustration of so many of us perfectly. Full credit to him.

irish46 #27 Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:09 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1614 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

Well said Mel..My frustration level is high admittedly. This would be the reason they (WG) never fly anymore. If you designed the  Ford Pinto, would you wanna be seen driving it..lmbo

Regards All, Irish

Noreaga #28 Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBobby_Tables, on 12 July 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

I agree with the well said Purdue.  I do however think there is a stronk cultural issue here.  In my previous job I dealt with EU countries a lot and the consensus was that Ukraine and similar countries had absolutely no clue on customer service.  There is strong evidence here of a total neglect for the customer input regardless of that input coming from RU, EU or NA.  This "development" studio is a disaster.  When I saw the video of the 2.0.5 update and saw them trying to explain how great this upgrade was, it was very obvious this was something concocted by people who have no passion for the game and instead are interested in middling little details.  

They started out with something interesting.  The more they get involved, the less interesting it gets.  At some point you would think WG would shut down Persha, cut their losses and kill the game or turn development over to another group.  

I don't think comparing this game to WOWS or WOT means anything because the developers of these titles are, while under the WG umbrella, totally different entities.  Persha (located in Ukraine and the development team of WOWP) has consistently demonstrated their incompetence.  What continues to confuse me is why WG corporate puts up with this.   Victor HGH Kislyi (WG CEO) quite obviously is embarrased by this game in his portfolio and tries to deflect issues to the player base and the supposed "complexity" of air combat as opposed to tanks, etc.  What he constantly fails to address is the incompetence of the development studio he threw WOWP development to and then bought.  It shows a lack of business sense and really a focus on sunk cost whereas a true business leader would recognize the sunk cost and make changes.  Maybe Persha does amazing things for the other titles in terms of graphics, but in terms of this game, they have demonstrated they are inadequate for the task.

And yes, Mel, I had a few Rum and Cokes before typing this so I am chill as I can be.  

hey bobby,

I knew someone was going to point out the different studio thing, and i admit it is a good point, but its also my point. its the studio and not the culture that is to blame. I truly believe this goes far beyond "in Soviet Russia the plane flies you"

i had a whole thing typed out but the sourcing and everything is too much of a pain on a beautiful Sunday morning. Noon is fast approaching and ive got sangria to make ! if we have a rainy day ill sit down and do it, but my arguments are kinda redundant regardless.

Until then i mostly agree and at the same time disagree.

Nimis obnoxii curare

Bobby_Tables #29 Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 3722 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostNoreaga, on 15 July 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

but its also my point. its the studio and not the culture that is to blame. I truly believe this goes far beyond "in Soviet Russia the plane flies you"

Fair enough.  I will get off my cultural high horse but not my studio high horse.  

mnbv_fockewulfe #30 Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

Captain

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Congrats Mel, you made it: http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/best-content/

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

SonicPariah #31 Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:58 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 427 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

View Postirish46, on 15 July 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Well said Mel..My frustration level is high admittedly. This would be the reason they (WG) never fly anymore. If you designed the  Ford Pinto, would you wanna be seen driving it..lmbo

Regards All, Irish

I fly every day!

SlappedbyRommel #32 Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1841 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostSonicPariah, on 17 July 2018 - 04:58 PM, said:

I fly every day!

What tier and what time zone and approx what time are you on? Only fought once against your team.

CorvusCorvax #33 Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1488 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostSonicPariah, on 17 July 2018 - 04:58 PM, said:

I fly every day!

Hi, Sonic.  I too would love to fly with/against you.  I would love to have you on voice so I could talk to you while we do it - forum discussions suck in conveying the full range of human emotion and subtlety.  I would happily flight with you, or try and get matched up against you in-tier.

SlappedbyRommel #34 Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1841 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostSlappedbyRommel, on 19 July 2018 - 05:14 PM, said:

What tier and what time zone and approx what time are you on? Only fought once against your team.

Oh ya I won't give you any trouble especially in chat ....lol only in shooting you down.

Edward_Thache #35 Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:30 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1185 battles

View PostNoreaga, on 12 July 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

i once thought it might be cultural, and there is some literature about difference in management styles (east vs west). I dismissed this when i started testing for WOWS  and it didn't have the same issues as here( i am much more up to date with wows than wot).  its been proven that it can be done, within the same company/culture/ and language barrier. what is different here? 

While i might blame management at Persha for this games very SWG like development , i just can't say it is cultural. If i remember some of the greatest gaming bombs of all time were US studios... 

well said Purdue.

I play a flight sim that was created from the same region.  The game is not free to play and the developers have a whole different relationship with the end users.  Maybe that is a factor.

SonicPariah #36 Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 427 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX
I am on every weekday between 14:00 - 16:00 CDT. No guarantees though as I have work to do as well, but definitely try to make time for flying!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users