Ramming, a few thoughts from Ham

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

hamhockjones #1 Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9789 battles
Since the beginning nobody likes ramming, only a few idiots that had no skill and did not care to get better. Accidental ramming is understandable. You cant always get out of the way. But overall, the majority don't care for it. What is odd is that the developers know we don't like it and yet they seem to find something we hate and make it a a big part of the game! Now not only do new players think its a good thing, but even the air defense planes are trying to ram you. Every big plane that is a bot is also trying to ram us. Sometimes they don't even shoot, they just dive down and ram us.. Do these developers or whoever just look for ways to anger the humans every chance they get or what?  Just like stripping our planes and asking us to start over from scratch. I have never heard one player , not one player say that they liked that crap. Amazing ! Being a psychology major in college and 2 years after has me noticing when people do mean things to others just to get a rise out of them. Its very obvious that these people stir the hornets nest as often as possible. The bots, back them off some. they are way to good. Just dial them back some, no ramming. And please for the hundredth time, even the teams up with exactly the same bots with same skill level, especially bot bombers..... thank you,  HAM

Edited by hamhockjones, 12 July 2018 - 01:54 AM.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:28 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1678 battles

You get a minor BONUS to EXP by killing enemies with ramming since the beginning of 2.0. It is clear, that they completely condone ramming.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Bobby_Tables #3 Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4176 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Ramming is fine as is.  Good Lord, there is so much else wrong with this game.  If you had a bad game where you got rammed, suck it up and go again.

Giving Persha (WOWP developer) excuses to not improve the game by focusing on piddly little crap like this does us no good.  Believe me, they would much rather focus on cosmetics than on upgrading the graphics engine from 2007 standards (see DirectX 9c).   Yes, their graphics is based on technology that is over 10 years old. 

So, yeah, let's focus on ramming and forget all the other crap that they have screwed up.  

Suck it up and don't go head on.  If you get rammed, put the blame on yourself and move on.     

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 12 July 2018 - 03:10 AM.

Reitousair #4 Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7172 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Ramming is quite a problematic thing in games about aerial combat. However, I think with how WoWp works this is one of the best systems when it comes to ramming.  Back in the day with insta-kill ramming you would have people suicide their low-health fighter into a near-full HP GA and instantly kill them, which, needless to say was incredibly frustrating to deal with.

I don't like how there's actually a reward for ramming, but it is indeed a valid tactic to try and ram people and with technique can be utilized as a devastating attack rather than just a mere no-skill throwing your plane into the enemy. Now, if bots were a little less ram-happy that'd be lovely because you can't always get out of the way (like going head-on with a MiG-9 in your Yak-19 and then an F-84 tail crits you) but, alas, they aren't. Unfortunately for now we're going to have to adapt to bots being much less careful in getting out of your way (besides the HF's, those things love to ram you anyways) and overcome what appears to be their improved dogfighting capabilities.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

MelBrooks #5 Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 12 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostBobby_Tables, on 11 July 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

Ramming is fine as is.  Good Lord, there is so much else wrong with this game.  If you had a bad game where you got rammed, suck it up and go again.

Giving Persha (WOWP developer) excuses to not improve the game by focusing on piddly little crap like this does us no good.  Believe me, they would much rather focus on cosmetics than on upgrading the graphics engine from 2007 standards (see DirectX 9c).   Yes, their graphics is based on technology that is over 10 years old. 

So, yeah, let's focus on ramming and forget all the other crap that they have screwed up.  

Suck it up and don't go head on.  If you get rammed, put the blame on yourself and move on.     

Bobby pour a scotch, kick back and relax, you're getting all worked up 

comtedumas #6 Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5589 battles
  • [FK] FK
The problem is the bots don’t have any sense of survival, therefore a ram for them is only a tactic.  And they respawn faster, so it’s no cost to them.  

CorvusCorvax #7 Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1740 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Postcomtedumas, on 12 July 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

The problem is the bots don’t have any sense of survival, therefore a ram for them is only a tactic.  And they respawn faster, so it’s no cost to them.  

^^^This.

Their tactics are pretty transparent.  They know they are going to get killed, so they point the nose down and head out of zone, if you're on their tail.  Since they get no penalty for getting killed before the squall line, no big deal.

NorthernPorter #8 Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1652 battles

I'm not a fan of the ramming concept in airplanes. I'm pretty sure if one plane collides into another mid air, both are going down. It's definitely annoying when friendlies collide into you and it resulting in an instant death would be frustrating to say the least. But I would accept that function in the game over what it is presently.

With that being said, I realize it's a feature in the game and I try to avoid it when possible. I'll get out of the way early when a bot heavy comes diving from above at me. However if I'm in a heavy and diving on a fighter that wants to play chicken, no way am I pulling out. That fighter should know better to not stare down a charging heavy.

BuffaloTime #9 Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:35 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6544 battles
  • [3MNKY] 3MNKY

View PostMelBrooks, on 11 July 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

Bobby pour a scotch, kick back and relax, you're getting all worked up 

Hamhock is going to have a stroke stressing about the game. BT is going to have stroke stressing about Hamhock stressing about the game.

Fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark and brother, it's starting to rain.

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

tahee59 #10 Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22 battles
I liked it when plane parts could take out you're plane also on its way to the ground. Oh the good old days.

Gullygnome #11 Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1742 battles
I encourage people not to play chicken with my Beaufighter. 

f16falcona46 #12 Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:11 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2667 battles
  • [F4F] F4F

Look, if you get rammed, 90% of the time it's on you. Either you have the agility to avoid a ram or you have the firepower and durability to survive one. And bots don't just ram willy-nilly, they only ram if they think they can win. Play heavy fighters and bots don't try to ram you.

If your control surfaces are critted, you were dead anyway. (Unless you had control surface fix, wing biggerer, or Big Boost Bug.)

As someone who enjoys farming rams by sending the wing of my MRF through hated Spitfires, keep ramming in the game. (Just make it so that "allied" bots don't ram other allies.) If we remove ramming, might as well remove Precision Gunner or Universal Ammunition for Turret Guns, which is arguably worse--there's a giant, 1,400 meter cone behind an RB-17 where existing means you get several crits.

Captain_Underpants53 #13 Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 13803 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN
The ramming thing never bothered me much, for some reason.  Maybe it's because I fly bombers and usually survive better than the heavies do when they ram.  Or maybe it's the beer.  Anyway, while it is a tactic I very rarely try, it is a part of the game.  It does give me something to do once air superiority is reached.  :kamikaze:
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Grantwhy #14 Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:28 AM

Master Sergeant

• 3369 battles
  • [-GCR-] -GCR-

View Postcomtedumas, on 12 July 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

I think it's almost the exact opposite.

Bots know if a collision with the incoming plane will destroy them or not, and if they know they will survive they will not turn.

Us players, we see a plane at range (human or bot) that isn't dodging and is easier to hit.

Then we realise, that plane is getting bigger and bigger ... maybe I shou *BOOM* .... oh well, maybe next time I'll remember to turn :p

hamhockjones #15 Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9789 battles
You cant turn when it comes from above and you don't see it. Not about turning and headons, its about p-38s and beaus coming down and flying through you. Its not even realistic at all for a pilot to crash into you and risk getting himself killed. Sucking it up has nothing to do with nothing. Trying to get the game to evolve into a more realistic product is the goal. 

Edited by hamhockjones, 13 July 2018 - 03:19 PM.

CorvusCorvax #16 Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1740 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Posthamhockjones, on 13 July 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

You cant turn when it comes from above and you don't see it. Not about turning and headons, its about p-38s and beaus coming down and flying through you. Its not even realistic at all for a pilot to crash into you and risk getting himself killed. Sucking it up has nothing to do with nothing. Trying to get the game to evolve into a more realistic product is the goal. 

It is meant to be an arcade-style game, by the direct commentary by the developers.  Realism <> arcade-style.  Yet another issue in which we, the players, have to adapt to the game as-written.  As a complaint, I'm guessing that most folks would rank it way down on the list of "stuff that needs immediate attention."

f16falcona46 #17 Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:08 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2667 battles
  • [F4F] F4F

View Posthamhockjones, on 13 July 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

[emphasis added]

Well, if you don't see it, then there isn't much you can do about it, is there? Not only will ramming kill you, but so will the enemy's guns, rockets, and even stray bombs. (Use free camera to look around for enemies around you.)

Prenzlau #18 Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:14 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6238 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

If ramming would take out both planes or destroy one (if depleted) and severely cripple another (full health) then players would us the ram to eliminate other players who are "better" or having an elite battle. I realize to a certain extent, this does happen currently. But without ramming rules, (what exactly they maybe), you would see a lot more ramming. If your flying a heavy fighter, attack plane or bomber, sometimes you just don't have the maneuverability to get out of the way, and sometimes you just want to plow right through that light fighter who foolishly thinks they can go through you. 

When I fly anything but a bomber I use the ram as little as possible, but it still happens and sometimes it makes tactical sense to use it. When flying a bomber, I consider "the ram" as part of the weaponry of the bomber. The bomber cannot dog fight and usually is at a disadvantage when being attacked by other planes (if the other player knows what they are doing). So ram with my bomber, hell yes. I don't lose any sleep over it. 

As for the bots who seem to be homing missiles of their own, you know they are going to ram you if they have the bigger plane, so avoid it as much as possible and yes I know it is not always easy, but at least you know they are going to ram you. Is it right for the bots to do so? I think not, but someone obviously programmed the bots to ram planes of equal size or smaller. (although I have seen exceptions)

Prenzlau

The Zigfreid & Prenzlau Bombing Company

"We're not just delivering the mail..."

SpiritFoxMY #19 Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3032 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
I just rammed two guys in my Ju88A because f* my losing streak. Really, f* it.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

GonerNL #20 Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 722 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 13 July 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

It is meant to be an arcade-style game, 

If it's meant to be arcade, why introduce this silly system of enhancing and calibrating for 1.5% of extra protection ?? Won't help you one bit against ramming ...
Flying on EU and NA server

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users