Warplanes Update 2.0.5 Brings GeorgePatton Back

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

GeorgePatton #1 Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:14 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 64 battles

Hey Everyone!

I got to talking with MagusGerhardt the other day and he told me that the latest patch is really bad. I haven't touched Warplanes since I left in protest of the developers discontinuing the tester emblems but I decided that a patch that stirs this much controversy warrants a return to check things out.

I'm going to make a couple videos that I'll post here figuring out my impressions of the game with a pretty much brand-new perspective on the game.

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

ArrowZ_ #2 Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:22 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 938 battles
...Get da popcorn boys! Dis gun be good :popcorn:

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Kiwiav8r #3 Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:40 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 603 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

First time a bad patch brings a player back!

Not sure 'welcome back' is the right thing to say. :hiding:

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #4 Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:52 AM

First Lieutenant

• 489 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Pain or pleasure...

what's your desire

not a happy place

whatever the measure

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

mnbv_fockewulfe #5 Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:58 AM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostGeorgePatton, on 12 July 2018 - 01:14 AM, said:

Hey Everyone!

I got to talking with MagusGerhardt the other day and he told me that the latest patch is really bad. I haven't touched Warplanes since I left in protest of the developers discontinuing the tester emblems but I decided that a patch that stirs this much controversy warrants a return to check things out.

I'm going to make a couple videos that I'll post here figuring out my impressions of the game with a pretty much brand-new perspective on the game.

Cheers!
Glenn

You'd be surprised at the number of people I've heard saying they've uninstalled because of the last patch. Myself included.:( 

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

MagusGerhardt #6 Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:03 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 451 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Suffer well, kameraden!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Bobby_Tables #7 Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:06 AM

• 2766 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Glenn, you be like:

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 12 July 2018 - 02:12 AM.

Reitousair #8 Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5608 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Hmm, well then, welcome back to WoWp for the time being!

This patch is quite divisive, for sure, with opinions heavily split between what/how to improve WoWp. A few like it but for the most part people believe at the very least there needs to be improvements or a roll back of these systems.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

pyantoryng #9 Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:40 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1469 battles

Welcome back Glenn...for a time, anyway.

This patch would've been okay if it's a fresh start...it's very bad for existing players...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

MelBrooks #10 Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 11 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostGeorgePatton, on 11 July 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

Hey Everyone!

Cheers!
Glenn

George, as your psychiatrist, I suggest you not do this and ruin months of therapy

trikke #11 Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1858 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Spittoon says welcome back, brother!
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

The_Wild_Weasel #12 Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1638 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

Welcome  back,

Please provide some feed back on how long or how many crates I need to buy to upgrade my 100+ planes..... and the cost factor.

Oh , and maybe shed some light on what comes after we did manage to upgrade all our planes...do they add new pilot skills...... 

W_W

SpiritFoxMY #13 Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1944 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Welcome back. Good luck with your stay.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

oldiowaguy #14 Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 126 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
Glutton for punishment :facepalm:

EZP_MRKARP #15 Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:23 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2939 battles
he wont last long

Perco_lator #16 Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:09 PM

• 11 battles

View PostGeorgePatton, on 11 July 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

Hey Everyone!

Cheers!
Glenn

View PostGeorgePatton, on 15 January 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

Hello Everyone,

As the title of this post says, I am going to be leaving the Wargaming Trilogy - World of Tanks, World of Warplanes, and World of Warships. 

My decision to leave has been hard, but is pretty straightforward. Wargaming.net just doesn't care about their playerbase if they're not making money off of them. I'm not making this statement on unsubstantiated opinion - I'm the longest active member of the World of Warplanes project as of the time I'm leaving and I've seen all the promises made to players and the failure to follow through on many of the promises. In this post, I'm going to detail the broken promises that to me have proven Wargaming.net really doesn't care about us - their players/customers.

So why don't I just go quietly into the sunset and move on happily? The answer is quite simple. I invested a LOT of my life into this project - I submitted thousands of feedback items during the early alpha stages of development (no, not the Alpha most of you are thinking of... previous to the Global Alpha, there was an 'Alpha' and previous to that, there was a 'Friends and Family' alpha which I had the good fortune to participate in) and continued to submit feedback regularly until about a year ago. I also had the chance to coordinate the English-speaking Supertest for the World of Warplanes project where I was responsible for initial recruiting of Supertesters in the North American and European regions, cultural competency programs, as well as managing the day-to-day testing of the supertest program. I also ran the community newsletter until I could no longer get relevant information from the development team. I ran several Q&A threads on air combat tactics and how to employ them in World of Warplanes. Basically, I was the guy you would tell to 'get a life' and I would reply with an over-the-top polite post telling you exactly why I was doing what I was doing. In short, I am passionate about aviation and videogames and this was the first place where the two came together in a fun free-to-play format. Was. 

If anyone wonders - I was never paid by Wargaming.net. I was never an employee of Wargaming.net. Everything I did for Wargaming.net was as a volunteer - the roles I filled should have been filled by an employee of the company, yes, but I filled them as a volunteer because that's how they would allow me to participate in the development of the project I loved so much. I was young, and I was dumb and did not realize how much I was contributing to the project.

I was told many things would happen with the game - that specific requests were going to be implemented 'quickly' and 'as soon as possible' or 'a little later in the development process'. Things anyone who has been around World of Warplanes has heard a million times. As time went on and these aspects of the game were pushed further and further into the mythical realm of 'soon™' those of us who were invested in the project began to hear rumors of the feedback that the developers sought - the feedback of players with less than 500 battles - then this became substantiated when I was required to recruit players to the Supertest (highest level of volunteer testing) who had barely started to play the game. I was literally required to recruit players with less than 500 battles total in the game to shape the future of the project. As you can imagine, the results were disastrous - not only were players with this little experience hard to find after the disastrous game changes in the year after release, but finding players with any kind of dedication to the project after only playing 1-500 battles was next to impossible. The reasoning was that the game had a learning curve that was more steep than the average 'Call of Duty' player would care to stick around for and so we should listen to the average 'Call of Duty' gamer who didn't have enough interest to stick around on how to change the game so he/she would want to stick around. OK - yeah... Good idea, Wargaming. You're totally going to get people who care about the project by recruiting people who don't care about the project. Predictably, the Supertest program fell apart in the NA/EU regions as nobody could be convinced to participate due to failure of the developers to recruit players who actually cared. Those of us who did care were given nothing due to a lawsuit filed by participants in the World of Tanks Supertest arguing that they were doing work which was also done by people being paid for the work they were doing and as such were entitled to monetary compensation and health benefits equal to that of their paid counterparts under California state labor law. As anyone can imagine, convincing people to participate in testing when they get nothing in return and you tell them their feedback is 'too experienced' is a recipe for disaster and so we left.

So - I stuck around this long after all of the failures of the testing program - why leave now?

We (testers of the game) were promised specific rewards by the developers for our contribution to a successful launch of their product. Up until this point, Wargaming.net has at least appeared to be making good on those promises. With the latest update of the game, they decided to discontinue at least one of the promised rewards for testers - the so-called 'Parade Skins' and 'Tester Emblems'. In this spoiler, you can see the specified rewards:

Spoiler

As you can see, the page clearly states "Later on, these special emblems will be available for use on any plane."

Well, you guessed it - as of the latest patch, the newest aircraft were deliberately created without the ability to apply either the 'Parade Camouflage' or the 'Tester Emblems'. There was a thread created which detailed a 'bug' with this - we all assumed that something went wrong - but a support ticket filed by one of the testers received a reply:

Wargaming has directly decided to get rid of one of the tester benefits.

So - why does this apparently minor issue become the straw that broke the camel's back?

I've stayed around this project for the years I've been here trying to rally support for a project which is obviously not doing as well as it should be. I've always told myself 'they've got to be trying - just give them more time,' and I've managed to convince myself (and others) that eventually we would have the game we loved back in a state we could all enjoy for the most part. I looked at the promises Wargaming.net had made to me directly as a tester and saw that they had, indeed, followed through - why wouldn't they follow through on the rest even if at a later point than I would like them to due to 'technical difficulties'?

As of this writing, the suspicion I've harbored and tried to ignore for a couple years is no longer simply a suspicion. Wargaming.net (as a company) does not care about the people who play their game. They don't care to honor the promises they've made to people who spent their time (unpaid) assisting them in making money. I'm no longer going to contribute my time and my experience to a company that doesn't care about me, you, or anyone else involved with their project.

I love World of Warplanes. I love our community (even the guys I argue with!). I will not be used anymore by a corporation that wants to take everything they can from me and throw me to the side. I have numerous support tickets that simply went unanswered. I've made numerous requests to the developers for assistance with getting their game up and running after an update forced me to take a leave of absence due to the game not running on my computer (solved only by the fact that I got a new rig for VR experience development). I was ignored. I'm done. I'm done promoting a company that doesn't care about anyone but the company. You should be too.

Clan Wars? "Clan Wars will be released with the release of the game." Now, almost FIVE YEARS after release of the game, we are no closer to a date for clan wars to be released. Why are any of us still here?

Thank you all for a good time while I was here - thank you to everyone who differed with me for giving me experience in online communication and conflict resolution - thank you to everyone who shot me down for showing me what I could do better! I really appreciated all the good times with each and every one of you I've interacted with.

Thank you specifically to the amazing Community teams I've had the privilege of working with - Mugsy_, Hathore, Gunlion, WellingtonBoot, TzarIvan, Dance2010, Taaadah, and GhostPrime. You guys really put in the effort to support us where the higher-ups wouldn't and I know none of this is your fault.

Cheers!
Glenn

:facepalm:

"Come find me in the game, tough guy.  We'll see who knows stuff."

MagusGerhardt #17 Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 451 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostPerco_lator, on 13 July 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

:facepalm:

And you troll forums for a hobby.  Don't judge.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

CorvusCorvax #18 Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1230 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 13 July 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

And you troll forums for a hobby.  Don't judge.

Break out the aloe.

SonicPariah #19 Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 376 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX
Can't wait to hear your take on the newest information! Let us know and we are all looking forward to your videos and feedback!

ComradeZ #20 Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2644 battles
  • [FK] FK

Sorry WG, bringing back old 'respectable' players is not going to shine this turd anymore.  I find it funny when many players crapon this game (rightfully so), then out of the blue come these 'old best' pilots from a year or more ago just suddenly pop up and hype the game and/or are excited to come back.   OP is pretty much a hypocrite/shill imo after reading that 'farewell' post of his.  Serious Stockholm syndrome to come back to a game op shitted on in January.  

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users