What is the process of adding new aircraft to the game

New Airplanes How Its Made

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

NorthernPorter #1 Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1365 battles

I was wondering what the process is to bringing a new aircraft into the game. From the research, to the development, to final implementation.

I my mind I'd imagine the process to be similar to this:

1. Researching a plane
  2. Decide where it'll fit into the game/tech tree
  3. Develop an in game model and it's specifications
  4. Finishing details and testing
  5. Release into the game

I realize though there is more to it, but just am not sure what.

It would also be interesting to find out:

• What is the most time consuming part of the process?
  • What is the most difficult part?

If anyone can chip in some insight into this, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm not in the game development industry so it's a mystery to me.

mnbv_fockewulfe #2 Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

From what I've heard, the most difficult part is getting the permission/licencing to even use the plane in the game.

WG has to ask the a/c manufacturer companies who hold the copyright to use the planes in their game, which is the main reason we haven't gotten the F6F from what I've heard.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Catch21 #3 Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2631 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
Yes, it must be hard to get an outfit like (Northrop) Grumman to agree to license their planes in something they might consider trivial like a flight SIM, even if it's a top notch quality product like World of Warplanes.

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9828 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCatch21, on 09 July 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

Yes, it must be hard to get an outfit like (Northrop) Grumman to agree to license their planes in something they might consider trivial like a flight SIM, even if it's a top notch quality product like World of Warplanes.

???

J311yfish #5 Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 449 battles
  • [343] 343

It has been said in the past (dev blogs, Q&A's, etc. 2014-2017) -- before the addition of bombers -- that aircraft are more likely to be added to the game if they diversify gameplay, and that near-identical aircraft across different nations (such as MiG-15bis for China) would not be forthcoming.  I do not know to what degree that represents the official vision, though, because there are already numerous P-40's, Spitfires, etc. in the game.

If the goal of diversification is still true -- and it probably is, given the introduction of bombers, and the recently-announced bomber interceptors (Japanese heavy fighters) -- then it should be possible to survey the known list of aircraft and to derive, at least for the short term, a kind of road map for game development.

Tech tree projects:  JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  //  Italy    France  //  Sweden    Finland (skins)    Poland    China    Brazil    UNITED STATES   GERMANY

Map proposals:  Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover  //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial How to ignore forum posts and signatures

sandtinger #6 Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

Master Sergeant

• 8678 battles

i not sure about the copy right idea .. if that was the case i would think there would be a lot less planes in the game..  i think it more that it take a  lot of time  for  them to make the new planes function right. also make a full tec tree take a while to find all the plane from  tier 1 to tier 10  ... for a while wot only had the Russian and the Germans then they add the US then they add one country's  almost every year .. but it take them a a while  to make a tec tree .. plus all the work there still doing to try an knock out some of the bugs they know about . anyway nice topic 

Worland #7 Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

Master Sergeant

• 436 battles
You do not need permission to use US military equipment in games. Or to make toys of them. You can copy just about anything in games if you avoid using the company's name/trademark.

SonicPariah #8 Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 363 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

Copyright is definitely one of the big issues as we want a plane to be as historically accurate as possible. 

The idea of diversification is also valid as we could put a Lend/Lease version of numerous planes in without any change to the gameplay aspects.

Balancing is also another issue as some planes played a massively pivotal role in aerial combat but really and truly had no equal in the skies or answer to them without drastically changing the in-game meta.

mnbv_fockewulfe #9 Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostSonicPariah, on 10 July 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

Copyright is definitely one of the big issues as we want a plane to be as historically accurate as possible. 

The idea of diversification is also valid as we could put a Lend/Lease version of numerous planes in without any change to the gameplay aspects.

Balancing is also another issue as some planes played a massively pivotal role in aerial combat but really and truly had no equal in the skies or answer to them without drastically changing the in-game meta.

You mean the plane's 3D model to be historically accurate.:P

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

CorvusCorvax #10 Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1188 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostSonicPariah, on 10 July 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

Like the B-29.  How in the hell would you add that to the game?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users