shooting down flights of red CC bot bombers...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

trikke #1 Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2390 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

helpful to your team, or time-wasting stat-padding, if you're flying a heavy or OP LF?

i personally have seen the benefits of killing the CC flights recently, to my surprise...  until recently, i've ignored them

it effectively reduces the strategic worth of a red CC to the level of a garrison, since it can't help capture other caps

since it's so easy to shoot them down, it would be a great way for a new-ish pilot to help his team, instead of just being fodder for vets in the caps

excellent way to learn to maneuver in close quarters, learn to judge closing rates and control barrel overheating 

but what about for vets, too?     more valuable elsewhere?     those flights do more damage than missiles, so...

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2925 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Well, you were with me that day :P I'm sure you've seen me prioritize Bomber Flights above almost everything else, but there's a logic behind it - 

Priotitize flight if:

1. The bombers are heading towards your own Command Center - a single flight can flip a Command Center (you can get away with downing two of the five bombers in a flight - if four get through, the cap is toast)

2. The bombers are heading towards your own Missile Base - as above.

3. The bombers are heading towards your Mining Plant - the Plant can survive a four-bomber strike... just barely.

De-prioritize flight if:

1. The bombers are heading towards your airfield - it takes up to two flights to finish off an airfield and if you knock down even a single enemy fighter between flights, the airfield becomes impossible to cap until all ground targets respawn

2. The bombers are heading towards your Garrison - its easy enough to recapture a Garrison so your time is better spent elsewhere.

3. The bombers are heading towards your airbase - as with the airfield but there's a lot more riding on this so its a lot more of a strategic decision whether to let this one go or not.

Basically, I've learnt that on a map with two Command Centers, the side that does the better job of shooting down bomber waves will usually win. On asymmetric maps, it depends on the number and type of alternative caps as well as the composition of the teams: a smart GAA/Bomber pilot can easily snatch the CC while your team is holding off the bombers and on an asymmetric map, that puts a lot of pressure on the side which lost the CC to get it back.

There's also an argument to be made for capping a Garrison or an Airfield first and allowing the enemy CC to be captured before capturing your own CC since this means at least two bomber waves will be wasted on the Garrison while your own Bomber Waves will got straight for your rival's CC thus placing them effectively in a pincer movement between your own forces (who can ignore the first two Bomber Waves with impunity) and the Bombers from your own CC (who can flip their CC in a single pass if left unattended)

Lastly, it also depends on the airplane you're flying: Focke-Wulfs and all the Heavies should place priority on the bomber flights. Other multiroles should also have them on their list if they cannot flip some caps themselves. Light Fighters would be better utilized fighting for other caps than hitting the bomber waves unless a wave is seriously threatening a CC or MP.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 04 July 2018 - 04:38 PM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:55 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 13527 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN
I have noticed that about giving the bombers something besides your CC to attack first.  Makes sense.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

trikke #4 Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2390 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 04 July 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

Well, you were with me that day :P I'm sure you've seen me prioritize Bomber Flights above almost everything else, but there's a logic behind it - 

Priotitize flight if:

1. The bombers are heading towards your own Command Center - a single flight can flip a Command Center (you can get away with downing two of the five bombers in a flight - if four get through, the cap is toast)

2. The bombers are heading towards your own Missile Base - as above.

3. The bombers are heading towards your Mining Plant - the Plant can survive a four-bomber strike... just barely.

De-prioritize flight if:

1. The bombers are heading towards your airfield - it takes up to two flights to finish off an airfield and if you knock down even a single enemy fighter between flights, the airfield becomes impossible to cap until all ground targets respawn

2. The bombers are heading towards your Garrison - its easy enough to recapture a Garrison so your time is better spent elsewhere.

3. The bombers are heading towards your airbase - as with the airfield but there's a lot more riding on this so its a lot more of a strategic decision whether to let this one go or not.

Basically, I've learnt that on a map with two Command Centers, the side that does the better job of shooting down bomber waves will usually win. On asymmetric maps, it depends on the number and type of alternative caps as well as the composition of the teams: a smart GAA/Bomber pilot can easily snatch the CC while your team is holding off the bombers and on an asymmetric map, that puts a lot of pressure on the side which lost the CC to get it back.

There's also an argument to be made for capping a Garrison or an Airfield first and allowing the enemy CC to be captured before capturing your own CC since this means at least two bomber waves will be wasted on the Garrison while your own Bomber Waves will got straight for your rival's CC thus placing them effectively in a pincer movement between your own forces (who can ignore the first two Bomber Waves with impunity) and the Bombers from your own CC (who can flip their CC in a single pass if left unattended)

Lastly, it also depends on the airplane you're flying: Focke-Wulfs and all the Heavies should place priority on the bomber flights. Other multiroles should also have them on their list if they cannot flip some caps themselves. Light Fighters would be better utilized fighting for other caps than hitting the bomber waves unless a wave is seriously threatening a CC or MP.

makes a ton of sense!   almost like a game of chess, the way you explain it

because it's almost ridiculously easy to shoot them down, i always felt that my time would be better spent in trying to flip the CC itself

up until now, because i've seen it result in a win several times while flighted with you

kids, try spawn-camping the bot bomber flights and report back your results!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

vonKaiser #5 Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 667 battles
I used to love going after them until I ground my way to the BF-109F.  Amount of time it takes to take down a single bomber in that thing makes my time feel as if it would be better spent elsewhere. What I wouldn't give for a Rüstsatz kit on that plane :playing:

SpiritFoxMY #6 Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2925 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostvonKaiser, on 06 July 2018 - 02:44 AM, said:

I used to love going after them until I ground my way to the BF-109F.  Amount of time it takes to take down a single bomber in that thing makes my time feel as if it would be better spent elsewhere. What I wouldn't give for a Rüstsatz kit on that plane :playing:

109F, I-210... yes, these two are planes I would not go bomber hunting in. I tried and they just cannot hack it.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

comtedumas #7 Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:55 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 5430 battles
  • [FK] FK
Bomber flights are not accorded the importance they should.  One bomber flight can flip a sector.  There should either be a corridor or flight where you get bonus’s for defending the sector they are aiming at or there should be a bubble around the bombers giving the same bonus.  Otherwise from a point perspective there is no reason to kill them, you get nothing for it.  

CorvusCorvax #8 Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1671 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
I will kill bombers if they are going for the military base or command center.  Otherwise, I don't bother unless out team is comfortably ahead.

sneakytails #9 Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:33 PM

Senior Airman

• 367 battles
  • [ESG] ESG
I tend to fly Heavies and they are good for killing bombers but it feels worthless when you successfully defend your area from a bomber flight only to have it capped seconds later by a RB17 flying at supersonic speed or GA that you cant even see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users