I thought I remembered an RB-17 bombing tutorial here recently

RB-17 low-level bombing bomber tactics

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:30 PM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

I was gifted an RB-17 last night, and I wanted to try it out.  It's fast, no doubt.  But I'm having trouble flipping the caps in one pass, because I'm not releasing my bombs at the right time.  Then I went searching for the tutorial, or at least the video that shows the altitude and speed at which the person was doing the low-level stuff.

I do like blazing through a cap and not getting touched by flak or ADA.  Or trolling through a cap and using the tail gun to know down LF ADA.  But with 4-5 battles and only one victory because I'm not releasing my bombs at the right time, I need to watch that expert I swore I saw the video of just this last week.

Thanks!

I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

Prenzlau #2 Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 20314 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 28 June 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

I was gifted an RB-17 last night, and I wanted to try it out.  It's fast, no doubt.  But I'm having trouble flipping the caps in one pass, because I'm not releasing my bombs at the right time.  Then I went searching for the tutorial, or at least the video that shows the altitude and speed at which the person was doing the low-level stuff.

I do like blazing through a cap and not getting touched by flak or ADA.  Or trolling through a cap and using the tail gun to know down LF ADA.  But with 4-5 battles and only one victory because I'm not releasing my bombs at the right time, I need to watch that expert I swore I saw the video of just this last week.

Thanks!

I had the pleasure of observing you in action last night. It will take some time for you to master the RB-17, and although videos can help, time flying the plane is essential. I might be able to show you a few things if you want to flight sometime in RB-17's. 

Prenzlau

SlappedbyPatton #3 Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1938 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE

Practice, each bomber has a top speed and all you have to do is match the bomb release to your ingress time.

Practice, makes perfect

W-W

SpiritFoxMY #4 Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:30 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7902 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

*mutters something about bloody RB-17 weed-whackers*

I'll be waiting for you with a brace of R4Ms

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

SlappedbyPatton #5 Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:33 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1938 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 28 June 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

*mutters something about bloody RB-17 weed-whackers*

I'll be waiting for you with a brace of R4Ms

^ all I plan to run for the foreseeable future.....and its specialized......so load up :) 

W_W

Lambo805 #6 Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• -Community Ace-
  • 1589 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostPrenzlau, on 28 June 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

I had the pleasure of observing you in action last night. It will take some time for you to master the RB-17, and although videos can help, time flying the plane is essential. I might be able to show you a few things if you want to flight sometime in RB-17's. 

Prenzlau

Best match I ever had was in the RB-17 against Z&P in their RB-17s. It was the very essence of high versus low where my team couldn't touch them, and I couldn't stop touching trees, towers, and occasionally the ground. There's lots to be learned about the RB-17 and how to single-pass flip most any base, but the first thing you need to learn is target priority and which targets give you the best return for your payload.

If you want to go high, talk to Z or P; for low level I'd be happy to help.

Me: "It's not bragging if you can do it!"

My tombstone: He was bragging.

CorvusCorvax #7 Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:53 PM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostPrenzlau, on 28 June 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

Prenzlau

Both of our games, my human compatriot dropped to hangar before the end of the match.  In one of those battles, my helper helped himself to 60 whole personal points.  60.

Against a flighted pair,that's a steep hill to climb.  :)

CorvusCorvax #8 Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:54 PM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostLambo805, on 28 June 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Best match I ever had was in the RB-17 against Z&P in their RB-17s. It was the very essence of high versus low where my team couldn't touch them, and I couldn't stop touching trees, towers, and occasionally the ground. There's lots to be learned about the RB-17 and how to single-pass flip most any base, but the first thing you need to learn is target priority and which targets give you the best return for your payload.

If you want to go high, talk to Z or P; for low level I'd be happy to help.

I'd love to blow some stuff up with you.

Captain_Underpants53 #9 Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

Colonel

• 49772 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS

Have you considered starting out using it at higher altitudes?  Once you have that down maybe it would be easier to convert to low altitude.  I don't know because my low altitude attempts have been few and far between.  And don't forget that the RB-17 has the best turret gunner in the game.  I usually flip at least one base shooting down an air defense aircraft.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #10 Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:31 AM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 28 June 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

Have you considered starting out using it at higher altitudes?  Once you have that down maybe it would be easier to convert to low altitude.  I don't know because my low altitude attempts have been few and far between.  And don't forget that the RB-17 has the best turret gunner in the game.  I usually flip at least one base shooting down an air defense aircraft.

I wanted to start low, because that seems harder to learn.  And ripping up a cap point and having five red arrows following me on my radar is oddly rewarding.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users