GA Gun ranges and Convergence Zones

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Edward_Thache #1 Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1185 battles

With the new equipment system, I have come across a few things that raise questions (ikr).  With my JU87 configured with the two 37mm guns, there is an obvious convergence zone where each gun's bullets cross paths.  If I get Improved Long Barrels, does that convergence zone increase as well?  If so, does that mean small targets very close to me are impossible to hit because of my guns are set to shoot at targets at max range?  If the convergence zone does not increase then whats the point of the equipment if the increased range is further than my convergence zone?

Also, how far can my pilot see ground targets?  Does that increase with my increased gun range?  I ask because you have Eagle Eyed and Vigilance which increase aircraft detection but have no effect on ground targets.  

mnbv_fockewulfe #2 Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:12 PM

Captain

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Gun convergence is set to max effective range (I think . It's that or the guns are set to converge at max flight distance).

So for most 20mm armed a/c, the guns will converge at around 700m (or 1000m). 

Since long barrel increases the effective range, the gun convergence should also increase. 

Which will mean it will be more difficult to hit targets at the ranges you're used to. 

Edited by mnbv_fockewulfe, 28 June 2018 - 02:19 PM.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

CorvusCorvax #3 Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1488 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
I have seen, when VERY close to an object, the shells of one gun hit, and the other gun miss, when running outboard guns on my IL-2 planes.  I think that the only way to actually tell what the effective range of ranges for a particular gun pair happens to be is to test in the training room.  I had to go and shoot at stuff to figure out the effective minimum and maximum.  I still shoot beyond maximum range, because I get hits, but I start later.  :)

Edward_Thache #4 Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:17 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1185 battles

Thanks for your replies. 

I have noticed that in the AG planes with outboard guns; you can slightly roll and hit two soft targets in one volley.  With the increased range of these guns (with long barrels), I am using this more.  Now I am making passes and going farther out before turning around.  The slow speed of this plane (JU87), especially when you slow down to near stall,  makes this tactic very useful.  I can destroy heavy targets in one pass.  Overheating has become a problem but the increased distance helps and shooting with single shots helps too.

Thanks again for your replies.

Edited by Edward_Thache, 28 June 2018 - 04:17 PM.

LMG #5 Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2092 battles

Guns converge at max gun distance. In the case of the Ju 87 G, that would be at 1500 meters without equipment. I think that increasing your gun's firing range should also increase the range at which they converge, but I haven't tested it to confirm. That said, for a plane like the Ju 87 G I think it'd be better to increase its firing speed instead. It has enough range to snipe targets from afar, and they guns cool down quickly enough to not have to worry about how long you can shoot them. I'd consider increased weapon range on things like the Me 265 or the Me 329, where they severely lack it.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

comtedumas #6 Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:09 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 5146 battles
  • [FK] FK
I have found that convergence is all over the place on the first shot, but the second shot on a “burst” is usually pretty close together, especially on the 37mm Ju-87

wylleEcoyote #7 Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1747 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS
long barrels on stuka arent needed.
1200m optimal convergence is double the range any other 20mm cannon armed attack craft can do in its tiers.
even gets to target and hit pesky AAA guns before they shoot back.
1500m when shooting things too big to miss is a nice bonus. 
(and sniping enemy GAA over a km away is just sooooo satisfying).

Increased RoF is Much more useful.
using a gunsight counters the accuracy drain and if you lucky grants increased fire chances

SkyWolf__WM #8 Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:36 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3628 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

This game uses Divergence. 

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users