My first 12 hours or so.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

jmcrise #1 Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

Airman Basic

• 248 battles

So having  played WoT and constantly being called a noob and every other derogatory name associated with being "new" and uninformed and while receiving no constructive help from the "experten", I decided to give this a try. I am not so much a newb to ACM as I played some older sims in the 90's and early 2000's. I cant comment on the previous versions as I never played but I can comment on my first few sorties and aircraft. I went with the Japanese line. They handled as, and had the firepower, I have come to expect. It was easy to specialize the low tier planes although I didn't outfit them completely. I made a million by running through the mission to win and return multiple times. It' was almost too easy, but not if you consider that my opponents where all probably newbs to basic ACM. I assume all the better pilots are flying tier 7+ and I am just playing with lower skilled folks at these tiers. So far I am enjoying the game and find the boosters and stuff more easily obtainable than in WoT. Flight sims tend to reward pilot skill, and this is no exception, so far. I did not find the interface and options to be overwhelming and I simply did not perform any manual repairs or functions that required me to stop shooting ducks. I did attempt to put out a fire once, but it was rather confusing what to do. I have the same problem in WoT however. I'm just not good at looking down and finding the right button in combat. Tanks or planes.

Oh, and the radio chatter is much more pleasant here. I didnt see anyone get called anything the whole time. One guy called out HAX!, but someone else told him to learn to aim. Overall a much more mature level of discussion.

Edited by jmcrise, 17 June 2018 - 03:27 PM.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1469 battles
...are you aware that you are playing with a whole lot of bots? They go easy on everyone in low tiers...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1878 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Hi, and welcome to the forums! A pity you came in right in the middle of some intense angst and acrimony but, well, we hope you stay around and make the most of a game that's... really still in flux but I digress.

As pyan mentioned, its mostly bots in the game right now - population is very low and you'll only tend to meet more humans between tiers 3 and 6. But don't let that discourage you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here (or anywhere really).

Again, welcome to the game and see you in the skies. :honoring:

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

jmcrise #4 Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:17 PM

Airman Basic

• 248 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 17 June 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

...are you aware that you are playing with a whole lot of bots? They go easy on everyone in low tiers...

I was not aware that anything other than field defense was bots. So the enemy is bots but the friendly are players?

SpiritFoxMY #5 Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1878 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postjmcrise, on 18 June 2018 - 12:17 AM, said:

I was not aware that anything other than field defense was bots. So the enemy is bots but the friendly are players?

Nope. Almost everyone was probably a bot - that's kinda the level of the population in the game at the moment. You get may be 1 - 3 humans on each team and the rest are bots.

One way to figure out if a player is a bot or not is to just look into the player name list (tab key). Any "player" with a suspiciously nation-specific name (like "Hans" flying an Arado or "Dimitri" flying an I-5) is almost certainly a bot. Humans tend towards weird names although there're some whose names can be mistaken for bots so be wary about that.

Oh, and bots "chat". You'll learn to tell bot chat from human chatter pretty quick as they tend to say the same things (like "HAX", or "When is the next update coming out?"). Granted they add new chat lines from time to time so its not unknown for actual humans to respond to bots, much to their subsequent embarrassment.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 17 June 2018 - 04:25 PM.

jmcrise #6 Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:33 PM

Airman Basic

• 248 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 17 June 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

Nope. Almost everyone was probably a bot - that's kinda the level of the population in the game at the moment. You get may be 1 - 3 humans on each team and the rest are bots.

One way to figure out if a player is a bot or not is to just look into the player name list (tab key). Any "player" with a suspiciously nation-specific name (like "Hans" flying an Arado or "Dimitri" flying an I-5) is almost certainly a bot. Humans tend towards weird names although there're some whose names can be mistaken for bots so be wary about that.

Oh, and bots "chat". You'll learn to tell bot chat from human chatter pretty quick as they tend to say the same things (like "HAX", or "When is the next update coming out?"). Granted they add new chat lines from time to time so its not unknown for actual humans to respond to bots, much to their subsequent embarrassment.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Aren't I glad I took time to comment. Are there any tiers where you wont run into bots?

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1878 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postjmcrise, on 18 June 2018 - 12:33 AM, said:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Aren't I glad I took time to comment. Are there any tiers where you wont run into bots?

Sadly no. In the... oh, seven months I've been here, the most humans I've seen has been a single 16 human game out of the 30 players on the field (8 humans per side). On average you're lucky to have 3 on each team outside tiers 3 - 6.

If you hang around long enough (and judging by your reaction, that's a big "if"), you'll start running into the problem of bot imbalances where games get decided by which team had the least useless bots rather than the players. Granted that's little different from being on a team of window lickers in Tanks, but it's just that more frustrating when your idiot team consists of nonsentient lines of code 

Dr_Wigglespank #8 Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:14 PM

Master Sergeant

• 706 battles
If you're okay with using mods, there's one that puts an asterisk next to the bot names, so you can tell at a glance who's a bot and who's a human player.

Dru83 #9 Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1944 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Welcome... as mentioned things just got weird around here with the new patch and we're still learning how things work with it. As mentioned, there are always bots in the game, the match maker sets it up that way. If you're lucky, you might get a game with 6 humans on each side in the middle tiers, but most games you'll have 2 or 3 on each side. The Japanese planes are fun to fly, but they take a lot of skill and are really good at instantaneously exploding into flames. I did get a good laugh at your reporting over the "HAX/learn to aim" line. That's a classic bot conversation. On the learning what buttons to push end, I would advise you spend some time on the control mapping screen and set things up to your liking. There are a few controls that are not set by default, but can be a big help, such as the flaps button, rudder keys, pitch up key, etc.

ClosedCoffin #10 Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:07 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3134 battles
  • [MRCS] MRCS

View PostDr_Wigglespank, on 17 June 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

If you're okay with using mods, there's one that puts an asterisk next to the bot names, so you can tell at a glance who's a bot and who's a human player.

yeah i find that mod helpful, I often mistakenly chatted with bots before I used this.

http://forum.worldof...os-the-ai-bots/

trikke #11 Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1838 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

welcome jmcrise!    you've got a great start, you're asking the right questions

you'll do well here, even though it's so much harder to learn to fly than it is to drive a tank

combine that with having to hit a fast maneuverable target while flying a fast maneuverable plane, and the fact that you can get killed from above or below, makes wowp much harder than wot

this forum is helpful and supportive, which makes it easier to ask and search for your questions 

send me a pm if you get stuck, and we'll flight up on voice comm...  i fly almost exclusively weekdays 9-noon EDT, if that fits your schedule

edit:  i see that you're walking up the Ki line, which i did recently... 

the T5 hayabusa is fun, but do be aware that the T6 hien changes to more of a boom and zoom style, as does the T7 hayate

it appears that you like the turn and burn style, so let me suggest the UK spitfire line!

Edited by trikke, 20 June 2018 - 01:27 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

MacDaddyMatty #12 Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 442 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Postjmcrise, on 17 June 2018 - 04:17 PM, said:

Hi OP - WoTanker here who dabbles in WoWP.

Yes, many matches will be you and one other human, unfortunately.

Smaller player base, many tiers, time zones, etc.

Low tier bots are easy, but get much harder as you go up.

Tier 5 the ADA will ram kill you - extremely frustrating.

Best part of WoWP is "platooning" (flight) with another player.

See you out there!

▌▌ clanDDAY.com  ▌▌

A bunch of WoT players who occasionally get shot up by bots in WoWP:

▌▌  WoWP Clan   ▌▌

Lambo805 #13 Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• -Community Ace-
  • 1442 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

One thing I've tried to advocate is that the bots are, realistically, about the same as having players in battle in terms of playing objectively. Generally speaking, they're not as good at ACM as *some* of the players, but more often than not they're on par with the mix of what you'll see in WoT. 

With that said, the bots have three separate levels which I have deemed "window-licking, Air Force, and USN Aviators" and they have varied skill/equipment based on which one they are. There's absolutely no way of knowing which level the bot is that you're fighting, but one thing the bots generally do is play their plane to its strengths. What I mean is a BnZ won't try to turn fight you, they'll run and climb. A TnB won't try to run away or climb, they'll just turn with you. Play your plane accordingly.

Other than that, they do chat. Which is annoying to say the least. I use the mod just so I only interact with other players and know which I'm going up against when I enter a capture radius. After all, players will generally try to turn with you regardless of what they're in and I can use that to my ACM advantage. 

More often than not players won't chat unless you chat first. And very rarely do you get truly salty players. 

Stick around! Have fun! Don't let the game get to you too much, and enjoy the amazing Free XP benefits!

Me: "It's not bragging if you can do it!"

My tombstone: He was bragging.

trikke #14 Posted 24 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1838 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postjmcrise, on 17 June 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

i know that you've figured this out already, but just in case... 95% of the time, you'll have the same number of humans on both teams.

if you get stuck in the queue more than 60-70 seconds or longer, you may get an unbalanced team of humans, and/or get up-or-down tiered

poppavein #15 Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:35 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1822 battles
A tip that also works in Tanks: hold CTRL key and you can use your mouse to select something on the screen. 

Edited by poppavein, 26 June 2018 - 02:39 AM.

Captain_Underpants53 #16 Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9779 battles
  • [FK] FK

Reminds me of when I first started.  Back then the game put you in a spectators area when you were shot down. (V  1.9)  Anyway I always watched the game to its conclusion, learning a lot that way.  But I also didn't know anything about bots.  I used to watch these lower tier bots get in perfect position on an enemy, spray it with a few random shots and then turn away.  It used to drive me nuts when I thought they were human.  I am so glad that I didn't know how to battle chat because I would have given them a piece of my mind.

Along with the excellent advice about bot names you got already I would add that you will never see numbers or _ in a bot name.  The name will be one word and always properly capitalized.  While it is generally looked down on, be aware that there are some players who choose a name that closely resembles a bot name.  Using a Z instead of an S for example. This gives them an advantage when facing someone for the first time.  Especially in the lower tiers.

Finally, I would recommend joining a clan.  You can greatly reduce the new guy learning curve that way.

jmcrise #17 Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:28 PM

Airman Basic

• 248 battles
Thanks for all the excellent advice. So far the most annoying feature is the HO bots that don't suffer mutual destruction when they ram me. There are plenty of issue's but that single one is most frustrating. However I am still entertained by the game.

SpiritFoxMY #18 Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1878 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postjmcrise, on 01 July 2018 - 04:28 AM, said:

Thanks for all the excellent advice. So far the most annoying feature is the HO bots that don't suffer mutual destruction when they ram me. There are plenty of issue's but that single one is most frustrating. However I am still entertained by the game.

Just remember that ramming in World of Warplanes is predicated on two things - where you hit and how many hitpoints you had when you hit. Which is a big improvement from the earlier versions of 2.0 where simply grazing your opponent meant you took full damage. I remember complaining about that and the devs seem to have listened :P Kudos to them.

But yeah, bot ramming has always been a thing and its a feature, not a bug: don't go head on with anything with a bigger healthpool than you do or else make sure you can kill them before they hit.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 01 July 2018 - 02:29 AM.

trikke #19 Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1838 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i love that blue players no longer seem to die after accidentally scraping up against each other, neither bot nor human 

ty, devs!      certainly appreciated, even if not realistic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users