P51-H Mustang Build- Equipment & Skills Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Catch21 #1 Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2602 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

I'm beginning to like this plane now it's moved off stock and has a pilot skill or 2- actually Marksman I and Aerodynamics Expert and 2 to play with. What to get?

Build is (currently) Improved Covering, Lightweight Airframe and Engine Tuning. Aerodynamics Expert buffs the Lightweight Airframe and Engine Tuning benefits by 40%, so that's a handy stack effect.

But is it better now to get Aerobatics Expert for the extra 2% maneuverability (all axes) or maybe drop Improved Covering equipment and go with Battle Tested skill instead (Reduces chance of injury to the pilot by 20%. Improves aircraft controllability  by 25% when aircraft wings, tail, and fuselage are critically damaged), allowing an equipment slot to be freed for use by sights or something else?

Or any other ideas? Or what do you use on yours? I'm looking for a consistent Mustang approach as I've all of them (I, IA, A, D, H and K), so would appreciate any ideas before I launch into kitting them out now the paint is dry on them and the pilot has a skill or 2 to apply. Thanks.

Edited by Catch21, 11 June 2018 - 12:15 AM.

Dru83 #2 Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1792 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
The Mustang's main assets are speed and altitude, so it's best to make them as good as possible. For equipment, I'd run gunsight instead of covering and keep the other two, but that's just my opinion. Having those .50s spread out on the wings is going to make them less accurate and you need all the hits you can get with those MGs. For the next skill, I'd go with engine tuning just to boost your speed a little bit more.

Catch21 #3 Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2602 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

Thanks for above. Changed my initial Q since just realized Protection Expert gives 40% buff to REINFORCED Airframe, not Lightweight Airframe, so Protection Expert not really a runner any more.

Maybe go with Battle Tested (as a skill) to substitute for Improved Covering (as Equipment) and run with Lightweight Airframe, Gunsight and Engine Tuning?

Edited by Catch21, 11 June 2018 - 12:16 AM.

SpiritFoxMY #4 Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1677 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Personally, I've run all my Mustangs with:

Pilot: Aerodynamic Expert (40% to Lightweight Airframe, Control Surface Adjustment, Engine Tuning), Aerobatic Expert, Engine Guru I

Plane: Lightweight Airframe, Control Surface Adjustment, Engine Tuning

I feel that the US fighter line is all get in close and spray-n'-pray so I don't really bother with increasing accuracy all that much. It does make a noticeable difference, but so do all the performance upgrades and I think those are more worthwhile in the long run. You might swap out Control Surface Adjustment for Aircraft Polish is you value top speed over turning, but I prefer to have that little bit of extra turn time in the bag as the Mustangs already have dive speeds faster than even half the heavies in the game and the extra 7% isn't big in a flat run with your 12s boost IMO while with all the turning upgrades, your turn time should be down to about 9s before Reinforced Control Surfaces but your mileage may vary.  

Admittedly I haven't played the H much so there's that.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Catch21 #5 Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2602 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
Thanks for the above, exactly what I'm looking for, what's running for skills and equipment and why. At these upper tiers, (re)equipping and (re)training for skills gets awful expensive even at 50% off.

ArrowZ_ #6 Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:57 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 799 battles

In the long run, training pilots from the ground up from 90% (or 100% if you've got the gold) is the better investment in time and resources for this game. I used to retrain & swap pilots between planes with just a few pilots per planes where back then a 75% pilot would do just fine with a tonne of crew skills vs a 100% pilot with just 1-2 skills. Now It makes quite the difference and is almost beneficial to keep your 100% pilots one each plane and train a fresh pilot on the next aircraft vice versa. Besides crew exp rates nowadays is massively increased compared to the 1.x grinds. So it's alot easier now despite the exponential exp requirements passed like the 6th skill point.

About the P-51H I agree with alot of the posts above about big focus on speed & agility specs. Alot of these speed builds can apply to pretty much every LF in the tech tree with very small changes in accuracy buffs and extra armor and critical damage reduction equips/skills. For the P-51H I would recommend getting the Aerobatics Expert and Battle tested, as well as the fire resistance skills once you get your engine gurus. Equipment choices for this aircraft should be pretty straight forward. It is a nimbler P-51 compared to the D as I've found so it makes alot of sense to put some agility on this thing. GL on finding the best combination :honoring:

Edited by ArrowZ_, 11 June 2018 - 03:00 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

gerr22 #7 Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1962 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

agree with Dru have been running it like that since 1.9 still works fine

Catch21 #8 Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2602 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

Yes, I hear you- gun sights. After this weekend in the P51-H, I'm getting awful tired of shooting up some fancy footwork fighter only to see it limp off with a few HP left and then turn around to see how I like it too.

So latest (Equipment) iteration is to drop the Improved Covering and go with Lightweight Airframe, Gunsight, Engine Tuning. Could have saved myself some change since last 2 are freely demountable.

Skills to complement- Aerodynamics Expert to buff the Lightweight Airframe and Engine Tuning #s (40%), but what to use other 4 skill points on? Do I need Marksman I with gun sights? Does Battle Tested compensate for loss of Improved Covering? Or Engine Guru I or Acrobatics Expert?

These seem the only viable options, but 3% on an already good engine and 2% on already poor turning don't seem great benefits respectively compared to a demonstrated need to shoot better and big #s with Battle Tested ( and now Improved Covering is gone). Help!

SpiritFoxMY #9 Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1677 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I fly with the assumption that if someone's shooting at me, I'd rather not be hit than to tank the hits. The additional engine power will help with acceleration so you'll be able to run faster and get out of range sooner. The maneuverability means you require less distance between yourself and your pursuer to safely turn and reengage. Plus it can be a nasty shock to marginally more maneuverable opponentls like the MiGs or Messerschmitts. I've scared off a Gustav before by turning harder than he could.

Effectively my opinion is - either run or reengage faster. Tanking the shots in a light fighter seems counterintuitive  

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

trikke #10 Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1729 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 11 June 2018 - 09:35 AM, said:

I fly with the assumption that if someone's shooting at me, I'd rather not be hit than to tank the hits. The additional engine power will help with acceleration so you'll be able to run faster and get out of range sooner. The maneuverability means you require less distance between yourself and your pursuer to safely turn and reengage. Plus it can be a nasty shock to marginally more maneuverable opponentls like the MiGs or Messerschmitts. I've scared off a Gustav before by turning harder than he could.

Effectively my opinion is - either run or reengage faster. Tanking the shots in a light fighter seems counterintuitive  

always excellent advice...        and you know that i live at the opposite end of the spectrum

gunsight, then marksman one and two on each plane and pilot for me, because it's always taken me so damn long to knock down LFs

but, if i really think about it, maybe very low dispersion hurts me just as much as it helps

if i can't keep my nose perfectly on his tail, then my bullets are just as apt to miss as hit, so...  maybe wider dispersion could help my shaky aim?

keeping it for GA for sure, because long range, super accurate mid-high tier german GA guns = priceless 

and stable gun platform HFs would defo benefit, too...    but i'm going to yank that 3-skill marksman two and try something else on particularly twisty LFs

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users