Jump to content

74 years later, D-day was even worse than we've been told...

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

trikke #1 Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:46 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 2645 battles
  • 2,227
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:

and we were told and have seen some pretty gruesome stuff in books and movies

what concentrated machine gun fire can do to the human body is just...

here's a few paragraphs, and a link to the whole article about what really happened at Omaha beach


the passing of the years and the retelling of the story have softened the horror of Omaha Beach on D Day.



This fluke of history is doubly ironic since no other decisive battle has ever been so thoroughly reported for the official record. While the troops were still fighting in Normandy, what had happened to each unit in the landing had become known through the eyewitness testimony of all survivors. It was this research by the field historians which first determined where each company had hit the beach and by what route it had moved inland. Owing to the fact that every unit save one had been mislanded, it took this work to show the troops where they had fought.

How they fought and what they suffered were also determined in detail during the field research. As published today, the map data showing where the troops came ashore check exactly with the work done in the field; but the accompanying narrative describing their ordeal is a sanitized version of the original field notes.


This happened because the Army historians who wrote the first official book about Omaha Beach, basing it on the field notes, did a calculated job of sifting and weighting the material. So saying does not imply that their judgment was wrong. Normandy was an American victory; it was their duty to trace the twists and turns of fortune by which success was won. But to follow that rule slights the story of Omaha as an epic human tragedy which in the early hours bordered on total disaster. On this two-division front landing, only six rifle companies were relatively effective as units. They did better than others mainly because they had the luck to touch down on a less deadly section of the beach. Three times that number were shattered or foundered before they could start to fight. Several contributed not a man or bullet to the battle for the high ground. But their ordeal has gone unmarked because its detail was largely ignored by history in the first place. The worst-fated companies were overlooked, the more wretched personal experiences were toned down, and disproportionate attention was paid to the little element of courageous success in a situation which was largely characterized by tragic failure.

The official accounts which came later took their cue from this secondary source instead of searching the original documents. Even such an otherwise splendid and popular book on the great adventure as Cornelius Ryan's The Longest Daymisses the essence of the Omaha story.


In everything that has been written about Omaha until now, there is less blood and iron than in the original field notes covering any battalion landing in the first wave. Doubt it? Then let's follow along with Able and Baker companies, 116th Infantry, 29th Division. Their story is lifted from my fading Normandy notebook, which covers the landing of every Omaha company.

ABLE Company riding the tide in seven Higgins boats is still five thousand yards from the beach when first taken under artillery fire. The shells fall short. At one thousand yards, Boat No. 5 is hit dead on and foundered. Six men drown before help arrives. Second Lieutenant Edward Gearing and twenty others paddle around until picked up by naval craft, thereby missing the fight at the shore line. It's their lucky day. The other six boats ride unscathed to within one hundred yards of the shore, where a shell into Boat No. 3 kills two men. Another dozen drown, taking to the water as the boat sinks. That leaves five boats.

Lieutenant Edward Tidrick in Boat No. 2 cries out: "My God, we're coming in at the right spot, but look at it! No shingle, no wall, no shell holes, no cover. Nothing!"

His men are at the sides of the boat, straining for a view of the target. They stare but say nothing. At exactly 6:36 A.M. ramps are dropped along the boat line and the men jump off in water anywhere from waist deep to higher than a man's head. This is the signal awaited by the Germans atop the bluff. Already pounded by mortars, the floundering line is instantly swept by crossing machine-gun fires from both ends of the beach.


Able Company has planned to wade ashore in three files from each boat, center file going first, then flank files peeling off to right and left. The first men out try to do it but are ripped apart before they can make five yards. Even the lightly wounded die by drowning, doomed by the waterlogging of their overloaded packs. From Boat No. 1, all hands jump off in water over their heads. Most of them are carried down. Ten or so survivors get around the boat and clutch at its sides in an attempt to stay afloat. The same thing happens to the section in Boat No. 4. Half of its people are lost to the fire or tide before anyone gets ashore. All order has vanished from Able Company before it has fired a shot.

Already the sea runs red. Even among some of the lightly wounded who jumped into shallow water the hits prove fatal. Knocked down by a bullet in the arm or weakened by fear and shock, they are unable to rise again and are drowned by the onrushing tide. Other wounded men drag themselves ashore and, on finding the sands, lie quiet from total exhaustion, only to be overtaken and killed by the water. A few move safely through the bullet swarm to the beach, then find that they cannot hold there. They return to the water to use it for body cover. Faces turned upward, so that their nostrils are out of water, they creep toward the land at the same rate as the tide. That is how most of the survivors make it. The less rugged or less clever seek the cover of enemy obstacles moored along the upper half of the beach and are knocked off by machine-gun fire.


Within seven minutes after the ramps drop, Able Company is inert and leaderless. At Boat No. 2, Lieutenant Tidrick takes a bullet through the throat as he jumps from the ramp into the water. He staggers onto the sand and flops down ten feet from Private First Class Leo J. Nash. Nash sees the blood spurting and hears the strangled words gasped by Tidrick: "Advance with the wire cutters!" It's futile; Nash has no cutters. To give the order, Tidrick has raised himself up on his hands and made himself a target for an instant. Nash, burrowing into the sand, sees machine gun bullets rip Tidrick from crown to pelvis. From the cliff above, the German gunners are shooting into the survivors as from a roof top.

Captain Taylor N. Fellers and Lieutenant Benjamin R. Kearfoot never make it. They had loaded with a section of thirty men in Boat No. 6 (Landing Craft, Assault, No. 1015). But exactly what happened to this boat and its human cargo was never to be known. No one saw the craft go down. How each man aboard it met death remains unreported. Half of the drowned bodies were later found along the beach. It is supposed that the others were claimed by the sea.

Along the beach, only one Able Company officer still lives -- Lieutenant Elijah Nance, who is hit in the heel as he quits the boat and hit in the belly by a second bullet as he makes the sand. By the end of ten minutes, every sergeant is either dead or wounded. To the eyes of such men as Private Howard I. Grosser and Private First Class Gilbert G. Murdock, this clean sweep suggests that the Germans on the high ground have spotted all leaders and concentrated fire their way. Among the men who are still moving in with the tide, rifles, packs, and helmets have already been cast away in the interests of survival.


To the right of where Tidrick's boat is drifting with the tide, its coxswain lying dead next to the shell-shattered wheel, the seventh craft, carrying a medical section with one officer and sixteen men, noses toward the beach. The ramp drops. In that instant, two machine guns concentrate their fire on the opening. Not a man is given time to jump. All aboard are cut down where they stand.

By the end of fifteen minutes, Able Company has still not fired a weapon. No orders are being given by anyone. No words are spoken. The few able-bodied survivors move or not as they see fit. Merely to stay alive is a full-time job. The fight has become a rescue operation in which nothing counts but the force of a strong example.

Above all others stands out the first-aid man, Thomas Breedin. Reaching the sands, he strips off pack, blouse, helmet, and boots. For a moment he stands there so that others on the strand will see him and get the same idea. Then he crawls into the water to pull in wounded men about to be overlapped by the tide. The deeper water is still spotted with tide walkers advancing at the same pace as the rising water. But now, owing to Breedin's example, the strongest among them become more conspicuous targets. Coming along, they pick up wounded comrades and float them to the shore raftwise. Machine-gun fire still rakes the water. Burst after burst spoils the rescue act, shooting the floating man from the hands of the walker or killing both together. But Breedin for this hour leads a charmed life and stays with his work indomitably.


By the end of one half hour, approximately two thirds of the company is forever gone. There is no precise casualty figure for that moment. There is for the Normandy landing as a whole no accurate figure for the first hour or first day. The circumstances precluded it. Whether more Able Company riflemen died from water than from fire is known only to heaven. All earthly evidence so indicates, but cannot prove it.

By the end of one hour, the survivors from the main body have crawled across the sand to the foot of the bluff, where there is a narrow sanctuary of defiladed space. There they lie all day, clean spent, unarmed, too shocked to feel hunger, incapable even of talking to one another. No one happens by to succor them, ask what has happened, provide water, or offer unwanted pity. D Day at Omaha afforded no time or space for such missions. Every landing company was overloaded by its own assault problems.

By the end of one hour and forty-five minutes, six survivors from the boat section on the extreme right shake loose and work their way to a shelf a few rods up the cliff. Four fall exhausted from the short climb and advance no farther. They stay there through the day, seeing no one else from the company. The other two, Privates Jake Shefer and Thomas Lovejoy, join a group from the Second Ranger Battalion, which is assaulting Pointe du Hoc to the right of the company sector, and fight on with the Rangers through the day. Two men. Two rifles. Except for these, Able Company's contribution to the D Day fire fight is a cipher.


BAKER Company which is scheduled to land twenty-six minutes after Able and right on top of it, supporting and reinforcing, has had its full load of trouble on the way in. So rough is the sea during the journey that the men have to bail furiously with their helmets to keep the six boats from swamping. Thus preoccupied, they do not see the disaster which is overtaking Able until they are almost atop it. Then, what their eyes behold is either so limited or so staggering to the senses that control withers, the assault wave begins to dissolve, and disunity induced by fear virtually cancels the mission. A great cloud of smoke and dust raised by the mortar and machine-gun fire has almost closed a curtain around Able Company's ordeal. Outside the pall, nothing is to be seen but a line of corpses adrift, a few heads bobbing in the water and the crimson-running tide. But this is enough for the British coxswains. They raise the cry: "We can't go in there. We can't see the landmarks. We must pull off."


Edited by trikke, 06 June 2018 - 01:48 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

SonicPariah #2 Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:06 PM

    Community Manager

  • Administrator
  • 427 battles
  • 879
  • Member since:

A DENSE read to be certain on that end, but definitely worth it.


Thanks for the morning distraction and education!

MississippiFats #3 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:43 AM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 435 battles
  • 12
  • Member since:

once the british deserted the USMC on Guadalcanal, It got really pretty rough there, too.  I overhear fun tales of what the marines did to jap POWs there, and on the campaign north.  orientals taught the US how to be vicious really well.


When you're bad, you're Bad!

KloudRains #4 Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:51 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 8545 battles
  • 116
  • Member since:

View PostMississippiFats, on 07 June 2018 - 12:43 AM, said:

once the british deserted the USMC on Guadalcanal, It got really pretty rough there, too.  I overhear fun tales of what the marines did to jap POWs there, and on the campaign north.  orientals taught the US how to be vicious really well.



In the late summer of 1949, I was a twelve-year son of an Air Force father. Our family traveled from Bremerhaven, Germany back to New York on an Army troop ship, the Alexander M. Patch. My father had recently played a key role in the maintenance of all aircraft for the Berlin Airlift. He was rewarded with a somewhat early return to the States in anticipation of retirement in 1952. He had joined the Air Service in 1922 has a private. His first duty after initial training was to crew chief a JN-4 Jenny,at Selfridge Field, Michigan. He instilled in me an eye to what happened before, in the history of our military.

This connection with General Patch led me to early familiarity with the Battle of Guadalcanal. You see, General Patch was commander of all US military for the victory phase on Guadalcanal - two Army divisions and one Marine.  I might mention that Gen. Patch died on duty about 6 months after the end of WW II, at Fort Sam Houston. This is where I was born.

My attention on the Pacific War was pushed by the personal connection of being on the next-to-last troopship, to carry American military families from the Philippines before the Pearl Harbor Attack on 7 December 1941. That travel, which was on the U.S. Grant, is a distinct part of my childhood memories. I have clear memories of the Pearl Harbor attack from having been there a few months before, throwing coins with my father over the railing where we were moored in harbor, to the diving boys.

This background caused me to figuratively raise an eyebrow at the statement of the USMC being abandoned by the british (sic) at Guadalcanal. In fact, the British had no responsibilities for the invasion of the Solomon Islands. Albeit, Guadalcanal was British territory. the grand strategy had removed them from the Southwest Pacific years before the battles on Guadalcanal, for duties elsewhere. They simply were not around to "desert" anyone.

The USMC landed on Guadalcanal on 7 August of 1942 and established a beachhead which was contested for months. The two Marine divisions, with their associated units, were reinforced by the US Army on 13 October. General Vandegrift ceased First Marine attack operations in mid-November upon learning that the Japanese would soon attempt a major reinforcement via the “Tokyo Express,” the almost nightly run of supplies by destroyers to the island. When this happened, the four days of the major naval battle named Battle of Guadalcanal, 12-15 November 1942 so damaged the Japanese task force they never again tried major reinforcement of the island, making US victory almost certain. 

Army units continued to arrive and General Patch formed up the Americal Division out of the regiments already present on Guadalcanal. The US Army 25th Division landed and the 1st Marines, under Geneal Vandegrift, were pulled out in early December for much deserved reconstitution. Vandegrift is the name of the main road running through Camp Pendleton, California. General Patch became the commander of all American military on Guadalcanal - two Army divisions and one Marine division, plus supporting units - achieving final victory in the following February of 1942.

The Marines were not abandoned by anyone. There was a fear in their combat unites of that being the case during the period when there were nightly naval battles in contest over the supply of troops and material to the island. The US Navy ruled those waters in the daytime and the Japanese did so at night, for a considerable period until the naval battle 12=15 November.  Some Marines on the island wrongly feared that they had been abandoned when expected supplies sometimes did not make it due to enemy action.




mnbv_fockewulfe #5 Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:56 AM


  • Member
  • 276 battles
  • 3,200
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
  • Member since:
I would write your biography if I could, Kloud. :honoring:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.




Furysghost #6 Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:20 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 3561 battles
  • 218
  • Member since:

trikke's post jogged my memory...


This is a really good read and a somewhat sad one....sad because the Brits offered to supply the US Army with these same vehicles for their landings and were rebuffed by the US high command.

We don't need any of your goofy tanks/equipment they were told.



Edited by Furysghost, 09 June 2018 - 04:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users