Low-flying RB-17s...an unforeseen consequence or intended?

rb-17 bomber low

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

egikov #21 Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1546 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Here is another thought.

All this talk about RB-17 happens when Attrition mode is happening. Attrition mode is a little better than Invasion mode, but it is still very imbalanced compared to standard 2.0.

In Attrition mod the most effective planes are fighters. Then ground attack and bombers. There were games when all the map is red, but my team still wins, because if enemy teams don't kill planes (defenders don't count) no matter x3 or x5.

The thing is in Attrition mode there is no point of flying multiroles and heavies. Heavies can't kill fighters fast enough. Multiroles cant damage enough ground targets and also less maneuverable than light fighters. Bots are much smarter, in much denser groups, have better ammo, much faster and fly from the bases farther. They (mutiroles and heavies) can't affect the win much. Multiroles and heavies are the main enemy of bombers and ground attack, and nobody cares to kill them - because it's gonna take them too long time. And it's better to kill 2 fighters than one bomber/ground attack - more points, even if the other team has more bases. 

egikov #22 Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1546 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 05 June 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Well, good luck to you then. I never learned to love the 262 - it was always situational for me at best and that situation is usually a pair of RB-17s trying shenanigans across the map. Its a one-trick pony that does one thing really well and little else. I'd even take the similar-but-one-tier-higher Huckebein over the 262.

egikov is a much better 262 player than I'll ever be iirc.

I don't have Me-262 yet. But I'm planning on getting it.

SpiritFoxMY #23 Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1700 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postegikov, on 06 June 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

I don't have Me-262 yet. But I'm planning on getting it.

Hrm. Could've sworn you were the guy in the 262 giving me advice one game. My memory is terrible >.>;

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

CorvusCorvax #24 Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:37 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1112 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 05 June 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

Well, good luck to you then. I never learned to love the 262 - it was always situational for me at best and that situation is usually a pair of RB-17s trying shenanigans across the map. Its a one-trick pony that does one thing really well and little else. I'd even take the similar-but-one-tier-higher Huckebein over the 262.

egikov is a much better 262 player than I'll ever be iirc.

I have seen the 262 used to great success, so I know it is possible. I will learn...

LMG #25 Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1641 battles

View Postegikov, on 05 June 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

Here is another thought.

All this talk about RB-17 happens when Attrition mode is happening. Attrition mode is a little better than Invasion mode, but it is still very imbalanced compared to standard 2.0.

In Attrition mod the most effective planes are fighters. Then ground attack and bombers. There were games when all the map is red, but my team still wins, because if enemy teams don't kill planes (defenders don't count) no matter x3 or x5.

The thing is in Attrition mode there is no point of flying multiroles and heavies. Heavies can't kill fighters fast enough. Multiroles cant damage enough ground targets and also less maneuverable than light fighters. Bots are much smarter, in much denser groups, have better ammo, much faster and fly from the bases farther. They (mutiroles and heavies) can't affect the win much. Multiroles and heavies are the main enemy of bombers and ground attack, and nobody cares to kill them - because it's gonna take them too long time. And it's better to kill 2 fighters than one bomber/ground attack - more points, even if the other team has more bases. 

I've actually been able to keep my team alive, and even score a few wins, through mostly ground pounding in Attrition. I even recorded a few of those matches. It's pretty hard for the enemy team to catch up to yours if they need to kill 4-5 planes to make up for a random bot death, and it can get out of control pretty fast if they don't recapture sectors. Hell, I've had more success ground pounding than joining my team in the skies :amazed:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #26 Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1700 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostLMG, on 06 June 2018 - 02:16 AM, said:

I've actually been able to keep my team alive, and even score a few wins, through mostly ground pounding in Attrition. I even recorded a few of those matches. It's pretty hard for the enemy team to catch up to yours if they need to kill 4-5 planes to make up for a random bot death, and it can get out of control pretty fast if they don't recapture sectors. Hell, I've had more success ground pounding than joining my team in the skies :amazed:

A far cry from when Attrition first came out... :p

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

YagabodooN #27 Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:21 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1705 battles
Get a Starfire and load those wing rockets.

Also tagged with rb-17, bomber, low

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users