Interceptors? You're Welcome!

Interceptors Bombers tactics

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Prenzlau #1 Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:45 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3561 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Who has the advantage? Bomber or Interceptor?

I’m a believer that if the interceptor player that has just as much skill or better than the bomber player, the advantage goes to the interceptor. Heavy fighters usually have a greater advantage than the multi-role or light fighter. Bombers are large targets and don’t have the same level of firepower as a fighter or heavy.  Before people post with all the “buts, buts and buts…”, all bombers are different, all fighters are different, and the skill and experience of the players are different. So yes, it is always highly situational, but from my experience flying bombers, another player that is highly skilled should be able to defeat me most of the time. IF two human players are flighted in bombers and have very good to excellent skill sets, then the advantage flips to the bombers. Two bombers working with good coordination and focusing their fire on a single target will win that conflict, most of the time. I see this literally every night. Bot bombers are very uncreative and only put up a minimal level of defense, so don’t be fooled that taking down skilled human bombers will be just as easy.

Turning the tables on the Interceptor

Equip your bomber with engine guru, you will need as much speed as possible to survive and reach your targets. Equip your bomber with additional armor plates, this will protect your engines and your rear gunner or turret which are vital. Equip your bomber with livery to withstand the AA gun fire, endurance is the must. If you have 3 skill points at least in your rear gunner, pick Defensive Fire, this will reduce damage from interceptors by 30%.

Keep your eye on the small radar screen and be vigilant. Seeing potential interceptors as quickly as possible is imperative to your survival. Use the “x” button to track the nearest target so you can see what altitude the nearest threat is at. Hitting “x” repeatedly will cycle through nearby aerial targets. Open fire when a potential threat comes within range, you might have to halt your bombing to do so. Oscillate (zig-zag) your bomber back and forth as you move in a straight line away from the interceptor! This will expose the least amount of surface area to their fire and by moving in a quick zig zag pattern, you reduce amount of hits on your bomber. Often the interceptor’s guns will over heat, while you keep pouring your fire into them. You can make slight turn adjustments by jogging your plane right or left, but no big arcing turns. If possible drag your interceptor toward friendly planes and hit F7 to clear your tail, or if the interceptor is depleted, destroy them over ran enemy held cap so that kill will count towards flipping it. With some interceptors, flying at higher altitudes will stall them out, and make them easy targets. If an attacking interceptor is coming at you head on, ram them! Most of the time the interceptor will be destroyed if you have a high health level. Just another bug on the windshield!

Keep in mind that bot and human interceptors will often be back, more than once to try and finish you off. So with that in mind you have to plan your bombing accordingly. If you are near the enemy spawn, you can bet on an immediate attack so relocating to a better bombing environment could prolong your battle. Always defend yourself first, and survive to help your team. Use F4 button to flag the interceptor that is attacking you, bots or other players may come to your rescue. F4 works while using your rear guns and F4 works while looking through your bombardier sight! You can flag flying targets near ground level.

To all my interceptor friends!

Please think tactically with the overall situation of the battle in mind. I see a lot of fighters intercept me, only to waste valuable time trying to whittle me down, and while it is a large distraction for me, you could be getting multiple kills and flipping caps for your team. Sometimes when I get shot down in a battle, afterwards I look at the battle results and see the human heavy fighter had 2 or 3 kills and maybe was shot down 1 or 2 times. That result is not helping your team. So you got a bomber kill! Whoopee! The time you wasted getting that single kill might have just cost your team the battle and I have seen this many times. Also even when you do kill me, all you do is put me into the “bomber re-location program” and all too often I get to re-spawn usually right next to my next target or you save me a whole lot of travel time across the map.

Often attacking me over an un-flipped cap is advantageous in that your death might have just helped me flip the cap below, especially if all the ground targets were already knocked out. So be thoughtful as to when, and where you try and take me out. Bots attack and they are very uncreative, they are easily manipulated and often very predictable. What amazes me is the amount of human players that are the same way. So please keep “coming at me bro”! You don’t realize it, but you might be helping my team and hurting your own. Why? When I am in a flight with my wingman Zigfried, and we lose, it usually is not because we were intercepted, but because the ground attacks or fighters on the other team flipped caps and killed targets in those caps faster than we could flip them back. So that is the truth. We lose to players who know how to win on the ground, plain and simple. The other night we had a player on the other team in a ME 262 with 21 kills and that player did not attack us once, and his team won convincingly.

In the end

The bombers and interceptors roles are still being defined and players are still learning how to perfect these roles. All we can do is generalize and sometime theorize, but as the game evolves (hopefully) there will be more uses for bombers and more necessity to intercept them. If bombers seem over powered, it is mostly because of the players and how they might play them, but that is no different for other planes in the game. I hope this post will help some and pose some questions or thoughts. Good luck and good hunting, BUT please stay away from my bomber! Attacking bombers can be hazardous to your health!

Prenzlau

Edited by Prenzlau, 31 May 2018 - 11:25 PM.

The Zigfreid & Prenzlau Bombing Company

"We're not just delivering the mail..."

CorvusCorvax #2 Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:15 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1103 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
A heavy fighter with a large cannon can cut a bomber down pretty quickly.  But normally, unless it is a bot bomber or a human bomber with low health, I just don't bother.  Zapping other heavy fighters over caps is much more productive.  Or chasing them off my own bombers.

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1677 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
I hate low flying bombers. They can flip caps faster than I can kill them and haul [edited]faster than I can catch them. On maps with critical cap points like CCs or Plants, these guys are a bane.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

LMG #4 Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1628 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 31 May 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

I hate low flying bombers. They can flip caps faster than I can kill them and haul [edited]faster than I can catch them. On maps with critical cap points like CCs or Plants, these guys are a bane.

From my experience, it's pretty rough trying to keep up on a GAA with a low-flying RB-17. They get so much ordnance that reloads so fast they simply steamroll over Mining Facilities. And they like to put crit reargunners, so not even my Me 329 can do much about them :ohmy:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

MARS_REVENANT #5 Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3351 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostPrenzlau, on 31 May 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Who has the advantage? Bomber or Interceptor?

I seem to remember taking a Bomber out of the game with a J8M. I didn't let him play his game, I made him play mine, and took him out just after squall for the win.  So Experienced Bomber vs Experienced Interceptor... Advantage Interceptor.  Ask Zig.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

Reitousair #6 Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4918 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

The funny part is, bombers I find to be the most powerful class in the game if played a certain way, low-altitude aka tree-topping.

An RB-17 flying low altitude is effectively uncounterable except by an Me 262 or some tier 9 aircraft and even then the 262 and a few of said tier 9 aircraft will struggle. Now, how is this possible? You may ask, well, let''s just compare the RB-17 to the only effective counter at tier 8.

Throwing this in here to save space on this thread

Now, you might think "well can't GA outcap the RB-17 at the very least?" Well that's a pretty thought, but a good RB-17 player stands a decent chance at even outcapping tier 10 GA.

More space saving ranting here

The RB-17 is the worst offender of bombers being the strongest class in the game, as when used correctly there's nothing the enemy team can really do except send a bunch of people to try and stop it, and even then it might not work. However bombers at almost every tier render GA near useless as anything but a multi-role strike-aircraft; destroying both ground targets and stopping enemy aircraft from taking their ground kills.

Blenheim IV (early modification) can fly around the map and rain hell faster than the TSh-3, and even the Wirraway, it doesn't even need to be a low-alt, it's just plain faster.

Do-17Z is kinda ehhh... I'd say fairly balanced, it's not going to horrendously outcap good BSh-2 pilots and even low-alt it's not going to dominate the map.

Ju-88A is starting to lean towards pretty strong if used right, it's not horrible in speed actually and can take a bit of a beating, I flew it low-alt a few times and blew IL-2's and... well actually I never saw any German GA players at tier 5 now that I think about it, anyways, I blew them away.

Do-217M is hilariously powerful when used right, 100% accurate 250kg bombs at low-alt with high-speed makes it a competitive aircraft, even at tier 10.

A-26B is very strong, being fast with a solid payload to destroy ground targets, however it's better at killing other planes rather than flipping caps over the Do-217M

The RB-17 when flown at low-altitude can actually dominate tier 10 GA's on quite a few maps, let alone the poor saps at tier 8 that have to fight it. It's just too blazingly fast with too fast of a payload reload.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1677 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

The only plane I've ever successfully fended off tree-topping bombers in is the B.V series of multiroles. If you get good with the rockets, you can salvo a bomber to oblivion in a single pass from almost a thousand meters away. But you need to be damn good in landing those rockets because that RB will tear you to pieces otherwise.

I'd note that low-level bombers are not easy to fly as you have to abide by the minimum release altitude for your bombs while evading the swarm of fighters that will inevitably give chase. The minimum altitude means that unless the bomber pilot has gotten so good that he can execute a flawless pop-up maneuver on the attack run, a skilled interceptor pilot CAN get beneath him. And you only have seconds to plan and execute the run as any attempt at turning around to re-engage opens you up to immediate danger.

Personally I think low-altitude bombing is a devastating skill that's difficult to master but nigh impossible to counter when gotten right, especially on ground-heavy maps where the fighters have no hope of clawing back caps by shooting down ADAs. I salute those who can pull it off but, gawd, you guys are a pain in the derrière.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

mnbv_fockewulfe #8 Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:59 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
I just want to know why I can't intercept bombers in my Fw 190.:sceptic:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Edward_Thache #9 Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

Master Sergeant

• 986 battles
Thanks for sharing!

LMG #10 Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1628 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 01 June 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

The only plane I've ever successfully fended off tree-topping bombers in is the B.V series of multiroles. If you get good with the rockets, you can salvo a bomber to oblivion in a single pass from almost a thousand meters away. But you need to be damn good in landing those rockets because that RB will tear you to pieces otherwise.

I'd note that low-level bombers are not easy to fly as you have to abide by the minimum release altitude for your bombs while evading the swarm of fighters that will inevitably give chase. The minimum altitude means that unless the bomber pilot has gotten so good that he can execute a flawless pop-up maneuver on the attack run, a skilled interceptor pilot CAN get beneath him. And you only have seconds to plan and execute the run as any attempt at turning around to re-engage opens you up to immediate danger.

Personally I think low-altitude bombing is a devastating skill that's difficult to master but nigh impossible to counter when gotten right, especially on ground-heavy maps where the fighters have no hope of clawing back caps by shooting down ADAs. I salute those who can pull it off but, gawd, you guys are a pain in the derrière.

Sadly, difficult to master and nigh-impossible to counter isn't considered balanced when in a PvP enviroment. Mostly because, well, it's pretty hard to counter :unsure:

Edited by LMG, 01 June 2018 - 08:57 PM.

CorvusCorvax #11 Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:50 AM

• 1103 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLMG, on 01 June 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

Sadly, difficult to master and nigh-impossible to counter isn't considered balanced when in a PvP enviroment. Mostly because, well, it's pretty hard to counter :unsure:

I still can't figure out how to get my A-26 bombs on target from low level.

comtedumas #12 Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:24 PM

• 3993 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 01 June 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

practice, and drop just as the nose starts to go over the target at very low altitude.  Remember that there is a delay between the drop buttons press and the bombs dropping.  With the bomb reload being so fast on the A-26, drop a little early and drop two sticks.  Use those .50s on the tents and aa guns while your bombs reload.  

I usually go high but low low can be effective too.  

mnbv_fockewulfe #13 Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:08 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

low alt bomber runs could be balanced by a return of altitude bands.

just sayin'

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

LMG #14 Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1628 battles

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 03 June 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

low alt bomber runs could be balanced by a return of altitude bands.

just sayin'

That would also nerf any high-altitude aircraft, some of which I think don't really deserve it :sceptic:

mnbv_fockewulfe #15 Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:34 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostLMG, on 03 June 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

That would also nerf any high-altitude aircraft, some of which I think don't really deserve it :sceptic:

There is currently now punishment for high altitude aircraft flying flying in the realm of low altitude TnB a/c. Imho there should be as it would help the imbalance between BnZ and TnB and some of the more OP HFs (I'm looking at you pancake)

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

SlappedbyRommel #16 Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1118 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 02 June 2018 - 03:50 AM, said:

What I find works get your nose just at target area and drop - its about timing and bomb arc you want your bombs to arc into the target. Do this with the A26 & RB17 all the time works great. Also, everything everyone is talking about on the RB17 at low level is true my team took 4 games by capping as many as we could and found the multiplier for resource kills a great advantage plus coming in at over 800kpm usually I can out run any fighter it is very hard to counter especially if no one attacks you.

Also tagged with Interceptors, Bombers, tactics

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users