Grinding the Russian GAA line is a drag.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

LMG #21 Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2026 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 31 May 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

Yeah, I go in at low level and hit the AA first (not the whole installation, just the gun)drop bombs on the armored stuff, and keep shooting the guns and the non-armored targets.  Then I turn around, and clean up the stuff I didn't completely kill before, and take out some more AA.  by that time, several things have happened:

1.)  Red finally gets on scene, and starts to kill the stuff I started.  (Those red GAA now get to experience a little GAA cannon shell loving)

2.)  Blue finally shows up and at least distracts some of the fire from ADA or whatever AA emplacements remain.

3.)  Red shows up in force, and I am officially, thoroughly, SOL.

I am getting better at recognizing the targets from a distance, so that I can set up my runs better.  And slowing down before I release my bombs seems to help increase the damage.  Following my own guys into a zone really is the best way at this level, so far.  I really am not having much trouble with the AA, just the ADA.  I need to bomb-trap them better.

If you can somehow manage to record a battle, I can try and disect what you could do better, or where the enemy noticed you. GAAs for the most part do their work on their own, or with minimal help from bots, so the less unwanted attention you get from the enemy team the better. If you want, you can also check a few of my GAA videos I've put up in my youtube channel. Part of the reason I upload them is so anyone interested in GAAs can have a proper look at how they can get the job done, as I see plenty of fighter footage but not much for ground pounding. I even was able to record doing a Hammerhead turn on my Ju 88 P yesterday, might get it up today or tomorrow

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

CorvusCorvax #22 Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1478 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLMG, on 31 May 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

If you can somehow manage to record a battle, I can try and disect what you could do better, or where the enemy noticed you. GAAs for the most part do their work on their own, or with minimal help from bots, so the less unwanted attention you get from the enemy team the better. If you want, you can also check a few of my GAA videos I've put up in my youtube channel. Part of the reason I upload them is so anyone interested in GAAs can have a proper look at how they can get the job done, as I see plenty of fighter footage but not much for ground pounding. I even was able to record doing a Hammerhead turn on my Ju 88 P yesterday, might get it up today or tomorrow

If you have runs where you get the job done in a BSh-2 or Il-2/Il-2(t), that would be swell!  I have seen you blasting around in the Il-40, and yeah, I totally see how you could just completely ignore the ADA.  I am getting wasted by these guys - I had the heavies coming down on me today, in addition to the lights.  I'm just shooting at AA and tents, and trying to bomb armored targets.  I have no idea why the heavies think I'm a tasty snack.

Well, except that I am.  Every time I have been shot down today, it has been by an ADA.

LMG #23 Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2026 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 31 May 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

If you have runs where you get the job done in a BSh-2 or Il-2/Il-2(t), that would be swell!  I have seen you blasting around in the Il-40, and yeah, I totally see how you could just completely ignore the ADA.  I am getting wasted by these guys - I had the heavies coming down on me today, in addition to the lights.  I'm just shooting at AA and tents, and trying to bomb armored targets.  I have no idea why the heavies think I'm a tasty snack.

Well, except that I am.  Every time I have been shot down today, it has been by an ADA.

Light ADAs will usually pull away after chasing you around for a bit, though sometimes they will stay behind you for quite a while. This tends to happen when you travel too fast for them, which is more noticeable at lower tiers (since the biplane ADAs can travel very slowly) and on the higher tier German GAAs that move noticeably faster. It's pretty rough when they sit behind you like that, so you can try to slow down even further (be careful not to stall out) or moving around the sector in a zig-zag pattern so they end up overshooting. Sadly I do not own the IL-2. However, I do have some footage on the BSh-2 and the IL-2 (t):

BSh-2:

Spoiler

IL-2 (t):

Spoiler

Edited by LMG, 31 May 2018 - 10:26 PM.

GonerNL #24 Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 696 battles

I'm at the IL-20 now (EU server), but not really interested in next tier IL-40 .. just bots.

Oh and I still want to try the IL-10, the only one Soviet GA I skipped (have it researched tho). But yeah, it's quite a grind ...

Flying on EU and NA server

CorvusCorvax #25 Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1478 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLMG, on 31 May 2018 - 10:16 PM, said:

Light ADAs will usually pull away after chasing you around for a bit, though sometimes they will stay behind you for quite a while. This tends to happen when you travel too fast for them, which is more noticeable at lower tiers (since the biplane ADAs can travel very slowly) and on the higher tier German GAAs that move noticeably faster. It's pretty rough when they sit behind you like that, so you can try to slow down even further (be careful not to stall out) or moving around the sector in a zig-zag pattern so they end up overshooting. Sadly I do not own the IL-2. However, I do have some footage on the BSh-2 and the IL-2 (t):

BSh-2:

Spoiler

IL-2 (t):

Spoiler

I see some of my issues. 

Issue 1.  My BSh-2 does not have the strongest engine, or the most upgraded guns.  This makes for longer passes on almost all targets.  When I get the guns, I'll be able to flip garrisons in two passes.  I can also see why it takes so long to get between caps - your engine gives you an additional 50 kph over mine.

Issue 2.  Because it takes longer to suppress AA guns, I spend more time over target, meaning I arouse the ire of the ADA more easily.  Once I get the guns upgraded, I'll be able to make a two-pass cap.

I see also that you do your best to avoid all air-to-air stuff, unless someone is really pestering you.  That is something I need to do better.

LMG #26 Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2026 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 31 May 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

I see also that you do your best to avoid all air-to-air stuff, unless someone is really pestering you.  That is something I need to do better.

That's mostly a personal thing. I really dislike GAA dogfighting, as it usually boils down to A murders B or Aerial Nascar. Though if a Spitfire wants to play chicken with me I won't think twice :rolleyes:

Bobby_Tables #27 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 3615 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

If you start to enjoy your Russian GAA, then might I suggest the LBSh if you have any spare gold lying around just waiting to be spent.  It is a great plane to get pilots and gunners trained as the premium status means you will earn a resonable amount of crew experience at T4.  

I used to watch a player named Wallanor (I think he now plays under a different handle) take planes that were harassing him down like nothing.  In 1.x he would often be the last enemy standing and make them pay a heavy price if not outright winning.  He could make that plane turn on a dime.  I finally learned the technique and it can be quite effective for those pesky humans who insist on attacking GAA again and again and again because they think of them as easy targets.  

I don't seem to get taken down all that often by the ADA planes.  They tend to fly right past me.  Rudder usage is key to get them to miss and overshoot.  I've learned that rudder control, flaps and throttle can make this plane do some very unexpected things like turning inside a TnB plane, popping up the nose, and burning them up.  Then its right back to tearing up ground targets until the next yahoo shows up.  If I need to flip a cap fast and the ADA planes are buzzing me at low alt, killing 1 or 2 of them in quick order tends to flip the cap in no time.    

Oh yeah, I put my Russian Valkerie - Marina from some old event - in this plane and she burns through the soft targets like they are nothing.  Now that those ladies are back, it's worth a thought.  I cannot remember what plane she was meant for but IMO, she was meant for the LBSh.    

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 01 June 2018 - 02:22 AM.

trikke #28 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2268 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i would completely give up on russian GAs if it weren't for the big fun i have every time that i fly the il-10m

i'll assume that the tech tree planes are as much fun?

i can never make myself stay focused on ground targets, because those giant red balloons keep floating right past my nose

i can slow down almost to a crawl, which makes every T8 overshoot me, if they're not really careful 

ty WG for providing us with a really fun premium, because there's no way i would have even considered going farther up the russian GAs without a taste first

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

LMG #29 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2026 battles

View Posttrikke, on 31 May 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

i would completely give up on russian GAs if it weren't for the big fun i have every time that i fly the il-10m

i'll assume that the tech tree planes are as much fun?

i can never make myself stay focused on ground targets, because those giant red balloons keep floating right past my nose

i can slow down almost to a crawl, which makes every T8 overshoot me, if they're not really careful 

ty WG for providing us with a really fun premium, because there's no way i would have even considered going farther up the russian GAs without a taste first

Keep in mind that the IL-10M is the Chinese version. The tier 7 IL-10 doesn't turn as well, but has a lot better ordnance for the tier and goes a lot faster :izmena:

CorvusCorvax #30 Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1478 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
I figured out how I need to do it.  I need to fly my Gobling and Do-335 and my Pancake.  I fly those guys and pile up some free XP.  Then spend it on upgrading the BSh-2.

CorvusCorvax #31 Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1478 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

And, that's exactly what I did.  And the BSh-2 with the guns and the engines actually kicks some serious butt.

Trikke got to find that out today.  ;)

PostTraumatic #32 Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1408 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN
I ground up the IL line very first upon release for the silver and the Free Exp.  Back then it was a very different game.  I could not imagine trying to grind them up again in 2.0

Worland #33 Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:04 PM

Master Sergeant

• 436 battles
You weren't kidding. Can't seem to win a battle in my IL-2 no matter how many humans are on my team. Somehow I end up #1 on teams while my fellow humans all score below the bots. Going to take forever to get out of this thing at this rate.

trikke #34 Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2268 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 01 June 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

And, that's exactly what I did.  And the BSh-2 with the guns and the engines actually kicks some serious butt.

Trikke got to find that out today.  ;)

yes...  yes i did     dueling BSh-2s at noontime!

how did you get that chubby b**ch to turn like that?

but we had fun, brother!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

CorvusCorvax #35 Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1478 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Posttrikke, on 02 June 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

yes...  yes i did     dueling BSh-2s at noontime!

how did you get that chubby b**ch to turn like that?

but we had fun, brother!

Flaps and throttle, flaps and throttle.

Oh, there's one more aspect - separation.  Sometimes you need 400-700m of separation to gain advantage over your foe.  That and the fact that the lack of autoaim on GAAs seems to work in my favor.  I, for whatever reason, have the lead on most GAA cannon mentally dialed in.  I had a BSh-2 flight yesterday where I downed 10 aircraft, two with bombs. 

YagabodooN #36 Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:32 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1775 battles
I found the German GA line very boring but then I got the 265 and now I have a fun little super heavy fighter that I mess around in from time to time. 

CorvusCorvax #37 Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1478 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

IL-2.  Just started the grind, and I can see I have my work cut out.  It might be nice to get some serious ammo for silver/tokens.  :)

Having the upgraded guns and engine for the BSh-2 made all the difference in how much I could get done.  Vertical maneuvers, LOL.

LMG #38 Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2026 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 07 June 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

IL-2.  Just started the grind, and I can see I have my work cut out.  It might be nice to get some serious ammo for silver/tokens.  :)

Having the upgraded guns and engine for the BSh-2 made all the difference in how much I could get done.  Vertical maneuvers, LOL.

Tier IV GAAs are a rough grind, but they can still stand on their own once fully equipped. Tier V is an odd tier for me. Very few tier V planes have clicked with me properly. Out of the top of my head, the IL-2, the XP-44 and the Hurricane II were the exception, and even then the Hurricane II has since fallen from my "must play daily" list :amazed:. IL-2 has two valid loadouts, 23mm cannons or the big 37s; both should get the job done :great:

CorvusCorvax #39 Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1478 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLMG, on 07 June 2018 - 11:45 PM, said:

IL-2 has two valid loadouts, 23mm cannons or the big 37s; both should get the job done 

Yeah, I've seen the 37mm cannon at work.  Those things hit like a ton of bricks, and you can one-shot most AA guns from distance.  Oh, and they just WRECK other GAA.  :)

CorvusCorvax #40 Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1478 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

Well, I played the stupid thing for the rest of the evening.  I say stupid, because I lost every battle, even when I stuck to the program and just blew up ground targets, and focused on flipping caps.  I was matched against flights of fighters every time, and some obviously ace-level bots.  When their bots finish with 8-10k points, SOMETHING is going on.

I did learn something very important - never leave your bots to finish off the last ten capture points.  I thought they could get it done without me, and I was wrong.  Also, don't shoot down the red GAA bots until you clean up what they start.  At the end, when the cap is almost taken, then finish them off in-zone to take the cap.

T5 humans that still haven't figured out the bomb-trap and/or ram attack?  Hmmmm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users