Grinding the Russian GAA line is a drag.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1352 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

Those low-to-mid tier planes are kind of dog-like.  And if you're in the zone by yourself, the ADA and AA will make a meal of you.  I can see why the IL-40 and -40P are so badass.  You really have to suffer in order to get them.

And holy crud.  Don't get shot down.  The travel time is SO long...

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2494 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I've been sitting on the IL-2 for practically forever :P I just don't like GAAs tbh. The Me265 was a nice exception and I'm hoping the P.1102 will be glorious, but I'm looking at the 1099 with some misgivings.

The only GAA I regularly fly at the moment is the tier 3 Wirraway.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 31 May 2018 - 04:47 PM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

pyantoryng #3 Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1614 battles
It's not as easy as it used to be...GAA also get worse earnings multiplier compared to fighters too.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Lambo805 #4 Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• -Community Ace-
  • 1570 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postpyantoryng, on 31 May 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

It's not as easy as it used to be...GAA also get worse earnings multiplier compared to fighters too.

I was looking at this today. I flipped 3 bases and destroyed a bunch of ground targets in my Me-265...ended up with around 7k personal points and only made 5k credits and standard XP. Match following I flew my P-51D and had around the same personal points, 60k credits and sameish XP. Doesn't make any sense to me but certainly sours the idea of flying GAAs for me.
Me: "It's not bragging if you can do it!"

My tombstone: He was bragging.

_Bruiser_ #5 Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4143 battles
And still so much salt from this past weekend when ppl used the IL's for the event.

pyantoryng #6 Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1614 battles

View PostLambo805, on 01 June 2018 - 12:12 AM, said:

I was looking at this today. I flipped 3 bases and destroyed a bunch of ground targets in my Me-265...ended up with around 7k personal points and only made 5k credits and standard XP. Match following I flew my P-51D and had around the same personal points, 60k credits and sameish XP. Doesn't make any sense to me but certainly sours the idea of flying GAAs for me.

Don't look at personal points. They are meaningless for EXP.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

FluffyPabu #7 Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5968 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
Shoot down enemey planes, that gives you more base exp :great:

CorvusCorvax #8 Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1352 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Postpoisonousblood, on 31 May 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

Yeah, and I do, but I have been told that the mission of a GAA is to blow stuff up, and not shoot stuff down.  I use the GAA as a very heavy fighter sometimes, I still am trying to flip the caps by blowing up stuff on the ground (and not running into antennas and towers).

Big cannon and rockets and bombs sure help, but unless you have help in a zone, the defenses are brutal.

pyantoryng #9 Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1614 battles

View Postpoisonousblood, on 01 June 2018 - 12:32 AM, said:

Isn't blowing up stuff MUCH easier to get EXP with when in a GAA? It's the number that counts, not the quality...that's for silver.

bjorn1984 #10 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2655 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
Russian GAA's best GAA's
Check out my online content
Facebook: www.facebook.com/The_Mighty_Bjorn1984-525235531209893/
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJ6ptZRxCBV4MVqsOAI6TQ
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/mightybjorn1984

LMG #11 Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1868 battles

Which GAA are you having trouble with atm? I know there are a few stinkers when stock (BSh-2 with only machine guns and weak bombs comes to mind), but in general they should be able to get the job done once you get the better gear. As a general rule, with Soviet GAAs I always unlock the better ordnance first and then the better guns. Reargunner (if available) comes next, followed by engines and airframe in whichever order. Soviet GAAs live and die by their ordnance and firepower in that order. The only plane that might have a bit of a rough time is the TSh-2 because it has no bombs or rockets for armored buildings, but even then it has enough machine guns to make short work of any hostile plane that stumbles in front of you :playing:

Edited by LMG, 31 May 2018 - 07:13 PM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

CorvusCorvax #12 Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1352 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

I'm running the BSh-1 right now.  Without some help, it's a dog.  But if I play with another blue bot GAA, I can follow that bot into the zone, finish off the targets he leaves, and keep his tail clear of ADA.  It still gripes me that these planes are SO SLOW.  If you get shot down, you literally spend more time in transit than you do over the target.

Makes Rico sad.  :)

LMG #13 Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1868 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 31 May 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

I'm running the BSh-1 right now.  Without some help, it's a dog.  But if I play with another blue bot GAA, I can follow that bot into the zone, finish off the targets he leaves, and keep his tail clear of ADA.  It still gripes me that these planes are SO SLOW.  If you get shot down, you literally spend more time in transit than you do over the target.

Makes Rico sad.  :)

Keep in mind that the Premium Soviet GAAs tend to stray from the usual characteristics of the main line. The BSh-1 for example sacrifices its forward weapons for twice the bombload of the TSh-3. You pretty much play low-altitude Bomber on it, and have to more or less find out how many bombs you need for each target (kinda like the IL-8 if you run the FAB-100). Though the LBSh might be more to your liking; it's the fastest GAA at its tier (450 km/h top speed), and it stays like that until tier 7 on both lines. That one loses a good chunk of forward firepower and hitpoints for extra speed and handling, excelent ordnance with fast reload and a puny reargun that's mostly for show.

If you do go down the main line, the BSh-2 becomes the fastest GAA when fully equipped until tier 7. The IL-2 is a bit slower, but I think you can run the 23s instead of the 37s if you feel the need for speed. The IL-2 (t) is slow, and that one pretty much requires the 37s to show its true potential, but boy does it show it. At tier 7 both planes are vastly faster, and it keeps getting better from there. I'm not exactly sure why the IL-2 (t) got the short end of the stick speed-wise to be honest :sceptic:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

pyantoryng #14 Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1614 battles

View PostLMG, on 01 June 2018 - 02:34 AM, said:

Keep in mind that the Premium Soviet GAAs tend to stray from the usual characteristics of the main line. The BSh-1 for example sacrifices its forward weapons for twice the bombload of the TSh-3. You pretty much play low-altitude Bomber on it, and have to more or less find out how many bombs you need for each target (kinda like the IL-8 if you run the FAB-100). Though the LBSh might be more to your liking; it's the fastest GAA at its tier (450 km/h top speed), and it stays like that until tier 7 on both lines. That one loses a good chunk of forward firepower and hitpoints for extra speed and handling, excelent ordnance with fast reload and a puny reargun that's mostly for show.

If you do go down the main line, the BSh-2 becomes the fastest GAA when fully equipped until tier 7. The IL-2 is a bit slower, but I think you can run the 23s instead of the 37s if you feel the need for speed. The IL-2 (t) is slow, and that one pretty much requires the 37s to show its true potential, but boy does it show it. At tier 7 both planes are vastly faster, and it keeps getting better from there. I'm not exactly sure why the IL-2 (t) got the short end of the stick speed-wise to be honest :sceptic:

The IL-2 is also where you get true firepower in the form of rockets...:izmena:

CorvusCorvax #15 Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1352 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

In the games I have been playing, the game has been having fun with me.

I and another human are playing, and the other human is inevitably a fighter.  My bots routinely score from 1450 to 3350.  I end up on top with scores of near 9000, more or less, but always more than twice my nearest bot "helper".  The red bots almost all come in at 4500-6000, with the lowest bot being 2800.

Four battles in a row, all the same, exactly like this.  I get the most important cap, and my bots go and get killed over the other cap zones to give those caps to the red team.  While I am slowly making my way to the nearest red cap area, my blue "helpers" are shot down over our only cap, flipping it to red.

The upside is that the battle end quickly, so that I'm not spending even more time transiting between cap areas.  The downside is that I am making experience points at a glacial pace.  You say the BSh-2 is the fastest until T7?  I shudder to think how many games I am going to have to play to get to T7 in the Russian GAA line.  Without any sort of defensive guns, the ADA just rip me to shreds.  And the bombs take quite a while to recharge.  This is going to be a test of wills, I can see that now.  Or, I am just going to have to recruit my clan mates to babysit me while I'm in-zone..

pyantoryng #16 Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:17 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1614 battles

Let's just say that the way to maximize EXP is counterinituitive and will put your integrity to the test...:hiding:

It's actually easier for GAA to do so than fighters in the respective metrics, though...

Edited by pyantoryng, 31 May 2018 - 09:17 PM.

Reitousair #17 Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6034 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

I was lucky enough to start off my grind in the Soviet GA at the IL-10 and IL-8 since I got both of them before I left in 1.5. I quite liked the both of them for their different attributes, however I fell in love with the IL-10, the IL-10 is where you start to see a quicker, more agile GA that with proper application can still tear ground targets apart with relative ease. IL-8 continues the trend set by the line in continually upping the caliber of your guns to dish out more damage, I still recall scoring a 1km snipe on a Mosquito flying by!

Soviet GA are usually about working on your lonesome, quietly backcapping areas before hordes of enemies arrive, they don't do well taking contested zones since they're more prone to getting shot down and can't move around the map as fast as their German counterparts (at tier 7+), but they can flip caps insanely fast, I think my record for flipping a neutral mining plant is 17 seconds from my first shots on the point to it being captured. However, your massive healthpools do allow you to take a beating from both AA and aircraft if need be.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

CorvusCorvax #18 Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1352 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostReitousair, on 31 May 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

Soviet GA are usually about working on your lonesome, quietly backcapping areas before hordes of enemies arrive, they don't do well taking contested zones since they're more prone to getting shot down and can't move around the map as fast as their German counterparts (at tier 7+), but they can flip caps insanely fast, I think my record for flipping a neutral mining plant is 17 seconds from my first shots on the point to it being captured. However, your massive healthpools do allow you to take a beating from both AA and aircraft if need be.

I am looking forward to having the firepower to make a single pass to flip a cap, and then fly off to go flip another, all without getting blown out of the sky by pesky ADA.

pyantoryng #19 Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:26 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1614 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 01 June 2018 - 04:23 AM, said:

I am looking forward to having the firepower to make a single pass to flip a cap, and then fly off to go flip another, all without getting blown out of the sky by pesky ADA.

It will be the AA guns that will be your bane in high tier and not the ADA, which your gunner can rip apart with ease by that time.

Learn to shoot off the guns...it will help you later.

Edited by pyantoryng, 31 May 2018 - 09:27 PM.

CorvusCorvax #20 Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1352 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Postpyantoryng, on 31 May 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

It will be the AA guns that will be your bane in high tier and not the ADA, which your gunner can rip apart with ease by that time.

Learn to shoot off the guns...it will help you later.

Yeah, I go in at low level and hit the AA first (not the whole installation, just the gun)drop bombs on the armored stuff, and keep shooting the guns and the non-armored targets.  Then I turn around, and clean up the stuff I didn't completely kill before, and take out some more AA.  by that time, several things have happened:

1.)  Red finally gets on scene, and starts to kill the stuff I started.  (Those red GAA now get to experience a little GAA cannon shell loving)

2.)  Blue finally shows up and at least distracts some of the fire from ADA or whatever AA emplacements remain.

3.)  Red shows up in force, and I am officially, thoroughly, SOL.

I am getting better at recognizing the targets from a distance, so that I can set up my runs better.  And slowing down before I release my bombs seems to help increase the damage.  Following my own guys into a zone really is the best way at this level, so far.  I really am not having much trouble with the AA, just the ADA.  I need to bomb-trap them better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users