News - Wargaming Seattle shutting down

news

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

Captain

• 25 battles

This is the second company WG bought that they have shut down after purchasing. Maybe the work went to WG labs dept?

https://venturebeat.com/2018/05/24/wargaming-seattle-is-shutting-down-ending-gas-powered-games-legacy/

What is going on? Moving things further east? :amazed: From what I understand, they had some very talented people in that office.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

honorabili #2 Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1058 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Damn...

General_Lee_Miserable #3 Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 317 battles
Not surprising. Seattle is going in all sorts of wrong directions as a place to be able to do business in. The recent head tax was probably the breaking point. WG might be leaning towards more contracts with outside developers going forward. I know they outsourced the 2nd grand battles map for tanks and there is rumor that Frontline in tanks was outsourced as well, even though WG is claiming employees did it in off time (yeah, right). This is normal stuff from a business standpoint. It does stink that 150 people get the pink slip, but they also get 2 months notice to find new jobs and I'd have to guess a severance as well. 

Worland #4 Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:28 PM

Master Sergeant

• 436 battles
Seattle has some of the highest taxes on the west coast. Definitely the highest in WA. Just like corporations are fleeing CA for cheaper places to do business, so are they leaving Seattle.

Most of my family lived in CA, having moved there in the 1980s. Now only 1 remains. All their companies fled to FL, VA, TX, etc... to avoid the taxes and high cost of living.  

bjorn1984 #5 Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2655 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
Out of curiosity, what did the Seattle office work on for WG?
Check out my online content
Facebook: www.facebook.com/The_Mighty_Bjorn1984-525235531209893/
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJ6ptZRxCBV4MVqsOAI6TQ
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/mightybjorn1984

FlakValleyExpress #6 Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:28 AM

Captain

• 25 battles

View Postbjorn1984, on 27 May 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Out of curiosity, what did the Seattle office work on for WG?

Wargaming Seattle, formerly known as Gas Powered Games, is a video game developer located in Redmond, Washington. They were working on Project Wildman. An open planetary world, procedural, sandbox game FPS/TPS, Survival Horror, IRL connected, Tower Defense and Role Playing Games. It failed to get funding.

It sounds like Fortnight or a Walking Dead type of game.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

SonicPariah #7 Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 422 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

The project for us was under Dev for a while but none of it went Public as far as I know. It was definitely something in our wheelhouse and we are sad to see the project shuttered.

As for the people at the office, a lot of them are being integrated into other offices so they are definitely not being "hung out to dry" as the parlance goes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users