Implementing the new American Multiroles! The Curious Case of the F-94 Starfire

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Trophy_Wench #1 Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1347 battles
  • [TWE] TWE

I know that plane suggestion threads are a dime-a-dozen and what I'm about to postulate isn't really anything new (that I'm aware of) but I'd like to share my ideas for 2 potential half-branches for USAAF/AF and USN multirole fighters. These branches would cover some additional famous and frankly sorely missed aircraft in the game: The Bell Cobras and the Grumman 'Cats. We'll also be taking a look at why the F-94 is where it is, where it should go, and what would replace it.Without further ado, lets start with the Air Force:

Branching off of the P-36 we would see-

V: P-39 Airacobra (early variants)

Pretty much up through the 'F' models and including the P-400 configuration. (The 20mm would be a good stock cannon)

VI: P-39 Airacobra (late variants)

This plane would cover the 'K-Q' models.

VII: P-63 Kingcobra

It should be noted that this tier would also be where I would put the P-59 Airacomet but I'd rather the Kingcobra here for better flow, so the 'Comet would simply be a tier 7 premium jet.

VIII: F-80 Shooting Star (through 'C' model)

Since this plane is also in the game as well, you pretty much know what you're going to get but now with rockets and bombs!

IX: F-94D Starfire

"Huh, whuh, zuh? This plane is already in another tree!" you say.  Indeed it is I say, but not if I had my way. As this plane is an Air Force aircraft and a direct development of the F-80 at that it makes too much sense not to have it here. But what about that giant tier 9 hole in the USN Vought line now? What is going to go there? Well, TBH there isn't much. But lets not get ahead of ourselves here and finish up the lines first.

X: F-89C Scorpion

The Scorp is a bit of an oddity as it was the last straight winged fighter to be accepted into AF service. It would also be twin engined. However, as this aircraft was the direct successor to the F-94 (in role at least) it fits here, and even with it's straight wings is fast enough to keep up with the other fighters! It should be noted that this would only include the early pre 'D' models of the plane. The later versions were all rocket armed interceptors and not feasible for the game. But with 6x M24 cannons and 3200lbs of ordnance on the wings, I don't think anyone will complain.

Now then, onto the Navy!

Branching off the F4F (naturally) we see-

VI: F6F-3 Hellcat

The defining characteristic of these aircraft should be a MR that can turn. Sacrificing some of its BnZ and top speed for better turning speeds. After all, this thing was designed to be a Zero-killer.

VII: F6F-5 Hellcat

Natural choice. More power, more speed and now cannons to boot!

VIII: F8F Bearcat

Again, no surprises here

IX: F9F Panther

Another obvious choice, which leads us to...

X: F9F-6 Cougar

So then, with the Panther now placed as part of the Grumman line, we must once again ask the question; what replaces the F-94 for the Vought line? Well, given the fact that the F9F is the only other MR option for a new plane at that tier this leaves us with, as I see it 3 options and none of them are ideal.

Option 1) Slide the F6U over to the MR line.

As this aircraft never appeared to be earmarked to carry outboard ordnance (indeed, only one of the original 3 naval jet fighters (FJ Fury, FH Phantom and F6U Pirate) could carry ordnance of any kind) Such a move would be unlikely and ahistorical.

-to be concluded in next post-

Trophy_Wench #2 Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1347 battles
  • [TWE] TWE

Option 2) Move the F7U to Tier IX

While the "Gutless Cutlass" was a pretty garbage plane IRL and is one of the weakest tier X's currently, moving it down to tier IX might just end up making it borderline, if not outright OP. It's a significant step up from the F2G and even more capable than it's tier IX contemporary, the F6U. This also begs the question of what would go in at tier X as an alternate. The most likely candidate would be the F3H Demon but even that plane might not be the best since it was originally designed as an interceptor and might just be too advanced even for tier X.

Option 3) Move the F2H to MR tier IX.

As the Banshee was considered one of the first truly successful naval fighters in the USN and, along with the F9F Panther one of it's primary fighter bombers in Korea, it's not at all inconceivable that it can move from one class to another. Likely sacrificing some boost and straight line speed for slightly better maneuverability. Of course, this begs the question of what would go into it's place at tier IX HF but luckily we have some good options here! Depending on whether you want to stick with the Navy or not, my recommendations would either be the F3D Skynight or the XF-87 Blackhawk.

Of these 3 options, I'm personally most partial to option 3. 

Edited by Trophy_Wench, 25 May 2018 - 02:29 PM.

pyantoryng #3 Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

The F6U is a relic from the carrier-based fighter (same symbol as multirole fighters, which would have fit your solution no. 1) days which had to be there after multirole was introduced by the virtue that it IS a Vought, and it was already there. The Vought line was, after all, designed to accommodate carrier-based fighters...and when this Multirole nonsense hit, things started to go awry...hell, the F-94D isn't even much of a multirole because the FFAR won't be demolishing anything heavier than a barracks.

This mess happened because of the introduction of the Multirole fighter designation...but as they always do, WG is going to pull something outta their rear end to deal with it...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

LMG #4 Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1977 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 26 May 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

The F6U is a relic from the carrier-based fighter (same symbol as multirole fighters, which would have fit your solution no. 1) days which had to be there after multirole was introduced by the virtue that it IS a Vought, and it was already there. The Vought line was, after all, designed to accommodate carrier-based fighters...and when this Multirole nonsense hit, things started to go awry...hell, the F-94D isn't even much of a multirole because the FFAR won't be demolishing anything heavier than a barracks.

This mess happened because of the introduction of the Multirole fighter designation...but as they always do, WG is going to pull something outta their rear end to deal with it...

From what I can tell, Multiroles are defined by the availability of ordnance and/or heavy forward weaponry. This is why the Yak-9 and Yak-9U keep it, even though they have no rockets or bombs and can't do much when it comes to ground pounding. Though I agree that the F6U could use something more tangible over the F-94D, as I imagine it's tough to give up those rockets and the vulcan for slightly better handling :sceptic:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Trophy_Wench #5 Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1347 battles
  • [TWE] TWE

View Postpyantoryng, on 26 May 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

Yes, I do vaguely remember that from my OBT days. I mean, of course it would be nice to just say "hey, everything that could carry ordnance should carry it and screw fighter sub-designations" (P-40, P-51, Hurricanes in the inverse, pretty much every late-war German fighter). But this is the game they made so this is how we have to work around it. 

Even the F-94 in an of itself is not entirely accurate, the early versions of the aircraft were fully capable of carrying bombs (usually they had to sacrifice the wingtip tanks to do so but still.) And the 'D' version would have undoubtedly be capable of carrying both to fulfill it's role. Not to mention, it was only ever armed with .50's IRL (save for the one off M61 testbed aircraft).

Insofar as I'm concerned, this plane to me has always stuck out like a sore thumb in the TT and should never have been put there. I know why they did it, hell just researching this topic made it abundantly clear but even so, if my joint Bell/Lockheed/Northrop MR line were to get implemented, it's gotta go.

Pogo68 #6 Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
To be honest the only good thing about the F-94 is the M61 option, and that was never in any of the service aircraft.
DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users