Good Planes for Bad Players

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

__WarChild__ #1 Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:27 PM

Airman Basic

• 115 battles

Howdy Flyers,

I downloaded World of Warplanes over the holidays so I could purchase Free XP packages to get Tier X tanks on my WoT account.  I am really bad with Planes versus Tanks but my settings weren't good before so I didn't realize that this game is actually fun (Bted72 always made it seem like tons of fun). I recently returned to playing WoWP again for the Gold missions and now I like playing it as a break from WoT.  However, I don't know which planes are good and which ones aren't - for new/bad players.  I have several Premiums in my account from the Holiday Crates and I'd like to know which ones I should use to have fun with because I have no clue:

FIIC-2

YP-29

Model 81A-1

2 PA

XFL-1

XF4U-1

P-40

M-105

La-9RD  - I won this on a live stream.  It's my only Tier VII plane and I do okay in it but the gun seems to overheat quickly.

FW 56

Ar 67

Do 17 Z-7 (Bomber)

Me 209 V4

Ju 88A (Bomber)

Blenheim IV (e.) (Bomber)

Venom

Spitfire la

Tornado

Hawk II

Ki-43-lc

Tomahawk llb

I apologize if any of the above are not correctly written.  I tried to copy what I see in my Hangar but I might be off on the letters/numbers a little.

Also, any advice on Equipment or other tidbits would be helpful as well.

Thank you for your time, attention and PATIENCE with me!

:honoring:

__WarChild__

Reitousair #2 Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5017 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
From what you've listed (not all of those are prems by the way, some of them are indeed tech tree aircraft like the Ju-88A or Tornado) I'd recommend these.

U.S. Planes

German Planes

U.K. Planes

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

__WarChild__ #3 Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:23 PM

Airman Basic

• 115 battles

View PostReitousair, on 22 May 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

From what you've listed (not all of those are prems by the way, some of them are indeed tech tree aircraft like the Ju-88A or Tornado) I'd recommend these.

U.S. Planes

German Planes

U.K. Planes

You Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!  :great:   Thank you for your thoughtful response.

First off, let me say that I can't really tell what's tech tree in my Hangar and what's not.  But I assume the non-listed Tier I's are all Tech Tree and everything else above that is Premium because - I've never grinded any of these lines before.  So how I got a Tier VI non-premium (Tornado) in my Hangar is a mystery to me.

1) The XF4U-1 is my current favorite plane.  It's fast, but mostly the gun has a tight pattern and seems to stay on target easier.

2) The Spitfire, I've flown and do okay in it but the gun seems to spray bullets all over the place without doing as much damage as I think it should (could be me).

3) The German Do is a Heavy Fighter and not a bomber. It looked like a bomber to me and I don't know what a heavy fighter is or why I'd want to use one.

4) I prefer Ju Bomber over the Blenheim because it has more bombs and lets me drop 3 different payloads over the same target in 1 run.

5) I don't remember liking the Tornado but I had high graphics settings before and that made the game suck.  Will retry it now - now that I've pulled my head out.

Thank you again!

__WarChild__

oldgrumpy1 #4 Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:14 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2054 battles

View Post__WarChild__, on 22 May 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

You Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!  :great:   Thank you for your thoughtful response.

First off, let me say that I can't really tell what's tech tree in my Hangar and what's not.  But I assume the non-listed Tier I's are all Tech Tree and everything else above that is Premium because - I've never grinded any of these lines before.  So how I got a Tier VI non-premium (Tornado) in my Hangar is a mystery to me.

1) The XF4U-1 is my current favorite plane.  It's fast, but mostly the gun has a tight pattern and seems to stay on target easier.

2) The Spitfire, I've flown and do okay in it but the gun seems to spray bullets all over the place without doing as much damage as I think it should (could be me).

3) The German Do is a Heavy Fighter and not a bomber. It looked like a bomber to me and I don't know what a heavy fighter is or why I'd want to use one.

4) I prefer Ju Bomber over the Blenheim because it has more bombs and lets me drop 3 different payloads over the same target in 1 run.

5) I don't remember liking the Tornado but I had high graphics settings before and that made the game suck.  Will retry it now - now that I've pulled my head out.

Thank you again!

__WarChild__

​The German bomber line and the British multi roles, the Hurricanes and the Tornado were released after the Christmas event and were available in the gift boxes.

I got the Hurricane II and the tier VI German bomber as well as some of the lower tier premiums that you have listed.

I'm also a recent transfer from WOT and I found some of the reviews and guides on you tube to quite helpful.

__WarChild__ #5 Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:15 AM

Airman Basic

• 115 battles

I am looking on the Tech Tree and I clearly didn't get the 2-5 planes.  Did they give away the Tornado or something?  Why do I have that plane in my Hangar right now?

By the way, I went back to the Tornado and I really like it.  But Tier VI players are better than Tier III - imagine that.  Although I did finish 4th that last game.

LMG #6 Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1641 battles

View Post__WarChild__, on 22 May 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

I am looking on the Tech Tree and I clearly didn't get the 2-5 planes.  Did they give away the Tornado or something?  Why do I have that plane in my Hangar right now?

By the way, I went back to the Tornado and I really like it.  But Tier VI players are better than Tier III - imagine that.  Although I did finish 4th that last game.

On december we had the Westwall event, which gave lootboxes as prizes. Those lootboxes could contain one of the six new planes, with a pilot and a custom paint scheme included. In my case I got the Hurricane II :child:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

D_Jackson531 #7 Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:44 AM

Airman Basic

• 1450 battles
  • [VX9] VX9

I can't comment on all these planes, as I don't have them all - but The ones I do have, I'll be happy to pass on my opinion of.  

YP-29 - It's a turn-fighter, capable of outturning anything that isn't from the Japanese Zero line.  Low firepower and low speed can be a bummer, but once you're in the scrum it's quite nice.  Good beginner premium.  

XFL-1 - the hub-mounted 37mm takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of engaging with this plane it's a blast.  An aircraft with no serious weakness but no major strengths (except that 37mm) it's all about knowing what your target does well - and then refusing to fight it in a way that favors them while you blast them apart.  Not as newbie-friendly as the YP, but worth the time invested in getting the hang of the gun.  

P-40 M-105 - the only P-40 I seem able to get good results in.  Stay low, boom and zoom, don't be afraid to sling rockets at things, be they on the ground or in the sky.  

FW 56 - silly little turnfighter, slow like the YP, but with a 20mm cannon for some real punch.  Good beginner plane.  

Me 209 V4 - probably not a good beginner plane, to be honest.  Insane speed, but turns like a overladen freight train and so-so firepower for the tier.  You have to be a good shot and able to pick out isolated targets well, and that takes practice.  It is, however, very good at running away from bad situations.  

Venom and Spitfire la - Practically the same plane, the Spit is slightly faster.  Both good new player planes, excellent turn fighters.  The Spit has the edge of the two, as it has better top speed and retains energy in turns better.  

Tomahawk llb - I can't make heads nor tails of how to use this P-40 variant well.  I doubt it's for new players as a result, but give it a go - maybe you'll see something in it I don't.  :)

If you'd like to try and run up a few plane lines, I have found the British Spitfire line, US Corsair line, and Russian Ground Attack lines very user-friendly.  Give the US Heavy or British Heavy lines a go as well if you want to try a Heavy line.  I, in particular, have been loving the Corsairs as they seem equally adept at both slaughtering ground targets and aircraft in equal measure.  

See you in the skies!

D_Jackson531

Reitousair #8 Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:29 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5017 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View Post__WarChild__, on 22 May 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

Hmm, if I might make some recommendations and help you out a bit.

The Spitfire Ia might benefit from putting on a gunsight (the three equipment boxes you see under your aircraft parts in the upgrades tab).

The Do-17 Z-7 and Do-17 Z are based on the same aircraft so don't worry. The bomber variant acts well, like a bomber, fly high and rain pain. The heavy fighter variant however, features a fairly good firepower for tier 3, good speed, and even good payload, just don't try and get into a turnfight with somebody, that big airframe doesn't do too well in close-in dogfights.

Also to help explain heavy fighters a bit. Heavy Fighters (HF's) are heavily-armed high-speed aircraft, they're considerably more durable than your light fighter (LF) counterparts and pack a lot more punch most of the time. Along with their speed and/or ginormous amounts of boost they are excellent at diving on a target, attacking them and then continuing that dive to get away. They also frequently carry payload to attack ground targets.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

ArrowZ_ #9 Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:33 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 817 battles

Easiest playstyle for not so good players is Turn N' Burn. And with  that being said from your list:

• Spitfire 1a
  • Tornado
  • Ki-43-IC
  • Venom
  • P-40
  • XF4U
  • XFL-1
  • FIIC-2

Slap them some - Engine Tuning, Polish, Lightweight/Control Surface (the one that gives 3%+ maneuvrability) equipments

Pilot Skills - Aerodynamics expert, Engine Guru, Marksman, Aerobatics expert, Battle Hardened, Marksman, Demolition & Rocketeer (if you got ordnance)

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

SpiritFoxMY #10 Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1700 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Personally I'd say the Ar67 - the sealclubber's plane of choice. This plane is disgusting at tier 2 so if you just want to go around curbstomping people, this is the plane to go with.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

__WarChild__ #11 Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:14 AM

Airman Basic

• 115 battles

Thank you all for responding and educating me.  I thought I was "green" when it came to tanks but planes are a whole new arena for me.  When I was a kid, I loved watching all war movies and became a huge military fan.  For some reason, I fell in love with tanks but I never got into the specifics of fighting machines.  The only 2 war plane shows I remember was the Blue Max movie (WWI) and also there was a TV show called Baa Baa Black Sheep sometime in the late 70's.  I don't know what planes those guys flew but the show made me want to become a pilot.  Then later in life, I realized that I'm afraid of flying - oops.

I don't plan to do much flying, but now that I can at least compete a little here, I want to try these premiums that I received.  I'm going to try ALL the ones you guys have mentioned and will install the suggested equipment.

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 23 May 2018 - 01:51 AM, said:

Personally I'd say the Ar67 - the sealclubber's plane of choice. This plane is disgusting at tier 2 so if you just want to go around curbstomping people, this is the plane to go with.

If this really is a seal clubbing plane, I'm going to take it out next.  I'd just like to feel dominant in the air for a little.  I've finished first a couple times but I don't know why exactly.  Appreciate your input!

See you guys in the skies!

__WarChild__

mnbv_fockewulfe #12 Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:34 AM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
WarChild, who stole your username?:amazed:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Dru83 #13 Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1832 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Hey, welcome. Looks like you have quite the group of premiums built up there. I only have a few of them, so I'll just give you input on what I have.

XFL-1 - This one is a decent turner, but I've had trouble figuring out that 37mm cannon.

FIIC-2 - This is a quick turning biplane with a monster bomb underneath. Just average firepower though, so she takes a little more time to finish planes than say a I-15.

P-40 M-105 - This is similar to the tech tree P-40, but is slower, can't fly as high, and carries some rockets. This is a Boom and Zoom plane, fly high, build some speed, dive on the enemy, and then speed away from danger.

Me 209 V4 - This is a very fast, high flying plane that can't turn well and has weak firepower. It's not for the faint of heart, but if you can use that speed to stay away from the enemy, you can hit without the enemy touching you.

Ju 88A (Bomber) - This is now a tech tree bomber. She flies high and semi-fast, but defensive guns aren't real powerful. Bombs are released in groups of four, which I find more difficult to get used to then one at a time.

Blenheim IV (e.) (Bomber) - I love this one so much. There are four bombs that release one at a time. Usually it's better to drop two bombs per target to ensure the target is destroyed on the first pass. She doesn't have much in the way of guns, but there isn't much at tier 3 that can climb up to her altitude. Bf109s and Bf110s at tier 4 can prove a problem though.

Venom - I thought I would like this turn and burner, but I haven't quite gotten a handle on it yet. It's slower than a spitfire and not as fun to fly. 8 .30s spread out on the wings means it won't be as accurate, so boosting accuracy via skills and equipment is a good idea.

Spitfire la - It's a Spit... 'nuff said. She's fast and agile and great at just about anything. She has the 8 .30s, so the firepower isn't as impressive as some of the other Spitfires. Accuracy skills and gunsight could help here.

Tornado - This one is also now a tech tree plane. It's not all that fast and while it can turn a little, it's not a real great turner either. But, it has wonderful firepower from its four 20mms. If you can keep the enemy in front of your guns, they'll go down in flames every time from a distance away. She packs some decent rockets too.

Tomahawk llb - Similar to the tech tree P-40, but with weaker firepower and a tiny bit less hp. Again, boom and zoom, don't try to turn with this one.

Edited by Dru83, 23 May 2018 - 02:58 AM.

Worland #14 Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:16 AM

Master Sergeant

• 436 battles
As a noob, I enjoy playing the:

FW 56
FW 159

Skua
Hawker Hurricane MkI
Spitfire 1a
Spitfire 1
Venom

Curtiss Hawk 75M
P-40

P-40 M105

trikke #15 Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1729 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostD_Jackson531, on 22 May 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Give the US Heavy or British Heavy lines a go as well if you want to try a Heavy line. 

instead of the american heavy line, i would highly recommend the german heavy line, which will open up a whole new style of flying for you

folks, help me give new folks a tanking version of the german low tier heavies for comparison 

heavier armor, larger guns, rear gunner, especially designed for bomber and GA killing, not the best tool to kill LFs but can easily do so with the correct strategy and tactics

edit:    maybe a TD, because it's handicapped by a non-turning turret, because a HF can't turn well?  i can't remember, it's been too long since i played wot

Edited by trikke, 23 May 2018 - 01:39 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Dru83 #16 Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1832 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Trikke, the tier 2 German heavy reminds me more of the Matilda, a slow moving tank with great armor, but a weaker fast firing gun. But the tank that comes to mind when I think of the FW 57 and Bf-110 is the KV-1. It's big and slow and takes a lot of preplanning to use effectively. But, it can deal a lot of damage and take a lot of damage and still survive. The important thing with heavy fighters is remembering that speed is life. The instant you do something to lower your speed, like turning, the enemy will be all over you. The good thing about the German heavies is they have a little more boost than the American and British heavies do which makes it easier to speed away from enemies.

__WarChild__ #17 Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:49 AM

Airman Basic

• 115 battles

Thanks fellas.  I really appreciate ALL of your input.  I didn't want all these premiums, just the Free XP for WoT  but now I'm glad that I have them.  Saw Dunkirk yesterday and I was like "Hey, that's a Spitfire!" - pretty cool stuff (what happened to that guy after he was captured by the Germans?)

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 23 May 2018 - 02:34 AM, said:

WarChild, who stole your username?:amazed:

I don't know but there's more than one of them :(

SpiritFoxMY #18 Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1700 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Post__WarChild__, on 24 May 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

Thanks fellas.  I really appreciate ALL of your input.  I didn't want all these premiums, just the Free XP for WoT  but now I'm glad that I have them.  Saw Dunkirk yesterday and I was like "Hey, that's a Spitfire!" - pretty cool stuff (what happened to that guy after he was captured by the Germans?)

Trivia: the Spitfire 1a was originally introduced as a tie-in premium for the movie and came with a special pilot (the guy from the movie) with a unique skill tied to it. 

The character in the movie isn't a real person, btw. The entire movie is intended as an... immersive experience... rather than a historical show.

I would recommend Tora Tora Tora! If you want a really good WW2 historical movie. Memphis Belle isn't exactly historical but I think it's one of the best airplane-centric war movies around. 

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 24 May 2018 - 07:05 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Cardinal604 #19 Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:43 AM

Senior Airman

• 1587 battles
Personally I like the P-40 and the other 2 variants of it you have (M-105 and Tomahawk llb) they are generally good all rounders and the Russian one has rockets to boot...

poppavein #20 Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1777 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 23 May 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

The character in the movie isn't a real person, btw. The entire movie is intended as an... immersive experience... rather than a historical show.

I thought this was an interesting version of the Dunkirk movie.  Warning: Spoilers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users