Virtual Aces: The story of Azure. a World of Warplanes work of fiction.

fanfiction

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Persona22 #1 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:57 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 144 battles

Note: This story is fanfiction based on  the World of Warplanes online game by Wargaming. Any similarity with any real person, be it player, clan or anything else related to the game is completely coincidental and was unintended. In fact, the characters depicted are not even meant to have personalities similar to what the person or character is like in real life.

The story is filled with cultural references, in game references and a lot of clichés, it is meant to be a fun read.

This is a work of fiction and shouldn’t be taken as more than that. Thank you and I hope you enjoy reading it.

Note 2: This is part 1 of a multi part story. If I get a positive reaction from the community I'll post more. (No point in posting something that nobody will read afterall.

Note 3: The pictures in here serving as a visual aid were commisioned by me by other artists on deviantart, I have commisioned some more, but I am currently broke and it will be immpossible for me to commision more, so after those are used up, I will just post text and some simple edited pictures to serve as visual aid. I have very poor picture editing skills after all.

“Virtual Aces: The story of Azure.” a World of Warplanes work of fiction.

By Persona22

Part 1

In the not so far away future, the advances in technology have made online gaming an experience like no other.

After the technology for Virtual Reality was completely perfected, and made easily and cheaply available for everyday use by the average gamer, the industry boomed, offering all sort of experiences to any player. Now Virtual Reality was more Real and less Virtual, with software and special hardware that allowed people not just to see different places, but feel textures and the smells too, technology had made VR basically indistinguishable from the real world.

With new Consumer Protection Laws, the internet speed of any user increased exponentially every year, allowing bigger online games with bigger worlds and super realistic graphics and sounds.

Also, the invention of the Universal Instant Translator, which translated every language in the world, be it written texts or people speaking, which it did in real time, it allowed people from all over the world to play against anyone anywhere and being able to understand everything they were saying.

++++++++

After plugging in all the new Virtual Reality hardware on his new computer and downloading all the needed applications on his computer from the Wargaming webpage, the young kid was in the process of creating his account. After entering his email and other information, he typed in his username: “Azure”

The new player, Azure, had been a big fan of airplanes for years now, and ever since he heard about World of Warplanes, he had wanted to play it for a long time now. It had taken him a lot of chores, saving all the money he had made no matter how small, but he was finally able to afford a PC and VR equipment which he quickly set up in his room.

After entering his username, he had to create his Avatar. World of Warplanes had evolved over time, and since VR became so common, the game had changed to provide a completely immersive experience. Every person had a Player Image Load Over Time Avatar, or “PILOT Avatar” for short, an in-game Avatar which they could customize in different ways (and add some exclusive accessories using Gold Points).

Their Pilot Avatar was how they, and everyone else playing, would see themselves inside the game worldwide universal server. Azure wasn’t sure exactly why he would need an in game Avatar in a game mostly about flying World War II ear combat airplanes, but he figured he would find out as soon as he started playing.

The Pilot Avatar creation screen seemed simple enough, and Azure quickly made a character he was happy with.

After it was done, the screen prompted him to put on all the Virtual Reality gear and to get ready to play the game. He quickly did so, and suddenly his senses were overwhelmed with a bright light.

++++++++++++++

Azure’s eyes opened, as if he was just waking up. He looked around, and the first thing he realized was that he wasn’t in his room anymore. In fact, it didn’t look like any room in his house, and the chair he was sitting on wasn’t his own chair either.

What is this place? Is this the game? It looks so real!

He quickly noticed the Wargaming and World of Warplanes posters hanging on the walls of the room, and a small sign that said “New Player Waiting Lounge” above the only door of the room.

Azure spent about a minute just looking at his own hands, then at his feet, he moved them a little, and was amazed at how real it all looked. He touched the pilot jacket and the pilot boots on his feet. It all felt like real leather, even if he knew he wasn’t wearing that in the real world, in fact he could even smell the leather the jacket was made of. This was Azure’s first experience with actual Virtual Reality, and he was more than impressed by it.

Azure saw a large mirror on one side of the room, he stood up and walked over to it. It took him a moment to do it properly, because his Player Avatar was taller than he was in real life, and the VR made it feel like he was actually taller. It even felt like he was walking, even if he knew that in real life he was sitting at his desk in front of the computer, it felt like he was actually standing up and walking towards the mirror, he didn’t feel any dizziness at all!

He looked at the mirror and saw his Pilot Avatar staring him back, wearing the blue pilot uniform he had designed at the character creation screen just a moment ago. He waved his hands, the reflection did so too, he made faces, and to his surprise the reflection imitated all his facial expressions as well!

“This is so amazing!” he said out loud, “That’s me! I am my avatar, I am ‘Azure’.”

Just then Azure turned around when he heard the only door to the room open up with a small click of the doorknob turning.

(Look at image)

“I am also fully interactive and can reply to any inquiry you may have, so don’t be afraid to ask any question at any time.” added Erika.

“Wow! Really?” asked Azure.

“Yes.” answered Erika with a friendly smile.

“So cool…” said Azure.

Erika giggled, “I like your enthusiasm Azure, now, follow me please, and I’ll take you to see your starting ariplanes.”

“My airplanes!?” Azure’s eyes opened wide as saucers.

“Yes, every new player starts up as an Airman with four Tier I airplanes in their hangar.” explained Erika.

“Okay! Let’s go.” said Azure, excited.

Erika led Azure out of the room and through a rather long hallway, they finally reached another door which Erika opened, “This here is your hangar, where all your airplanes will be stored. You have a limited amount of space for airplanes, but you can increase that space if you purchase it with Gold Points.”

Erika showed the four airplanes in the hangar to Azure, “You have your pick, the German Arado Ar 65, the Polikarpov I-5 of the USSR, the Boeing P-12 of the USA and the Nakajima Type 91 of Japan.”

“You can use these planes anytime you want, since the starting airplanes are always free, the longer you use then, the more experience points you’ll get and Credits you’ll win. You can use the experience to unlock new upgrades for the airplanes, or new airplanes from each nation’s tech tree. And buy the upgrades and new airplanes with the Credits you win by playing, you will also need the Credits to pay for the damage the airplanes suffer during combat sorties, so be careful how you spend it. You can also buy premium airplanes using Gold Points, which also include planes from China and France.” explained Erika.

“They look amazing! I’m going to take a closer look!” exclaimed Azure happily as he ran towards one of the airplanes, he hopped on the wing of the Arado and looked at the pilot’s cabin, looking at all the instruments inside.

“All these planes are in the default configuration, but you can buy camouflage, nose art and other emblems to personalize it to your liking for Credits or using Gold Points to apply them permanently. We also have a new feature added since the VR and Avatars were introduced where you can create your own camouflage paint schemes, nose art and emblems and apply them to the airplanes.” explained Erika as Azure ran over to the Polikarpov and got on its wing, looking at the instruments inside the pilot’s cockpit.

“These four are multirole fighters, but as you start unlocking more planes from the tech tree you can get Fighters, Heavy Fighters, and Attack Airplanes. There are also Bomber aircraft, but you’ll need Gold Points to buy those. Each type of airplane has a role and a purpose in the battlefield, so choose wisely.” finished Erika.

“All of them look so cool!” exclaimed Azure, “I can’t decide which one I like better!”

Erika smiled, “You really are exited, aren’t you?”

Azure got off the wing and walked over to Erika who by now was standing next to the airplane’s tail. “I’m not really sure what to use, which one would you pick, Erika?” asked Azure.

Erika was surprised by this question, she could answer any in-game question, and had a personality program to let the players feel more at ease when talking to her, but nobody had ever asked her something like that, “You want to know which type of airplane I would choose? But I’m just an NPC.”

So?” asked Azure.

“I’m just an in game A.I. for the tutorial, I’m not meant to fly the airplanes in game battles or anything against platers, there are in game bots for that.” explained Erika, “Nobody has ever asked me my opinion on how I would play the game. You really want my opinion?”

“Yes, of course!” replied an exited Azure, “Which type of airplane would you pick if you could?”

“Well, let’s see,” Erika placed a hand on her chin and began to think, “Well, most players enjoy playing with Fighter airplanes. Also, the Soviet line is very versatile, their airplanes are very balanced, with great maneuveravility and strong weapons. They have a low service ceiling, so you will need to get good at low altitude engagements.”

“Cool! I’ll start using the Polikarpov then.” said Azure.

“Good to know,” replied Erika, “You’re almost ready to enter the World City Server, but before you do, take this.” Erika handed Azure a small card made of cardboard, it had his username printed on it and the Wargaming logo as well.

“Thanks… what is it?” asked Azure.

“That is you in-game ‘Charge-It card’ or Credit card as it is better known by players. It has all your account information regarding Credits, Experience Points and Gold. You can use these on any of the in-game stores to buy and sell new parts and accessories for your airplanes, as well as new airplanes. It used to be a point and click experience to do this, but with the new VR systems the game now provides a more immersive experience. Don’t worry about losing the card, you can’t, ever. If you ever do, it will disappear and a new one will spawn in your pocket again.”

“Okay, thanks Erika.” replied Azure, taking the card from Erika’s hand and placing it in his pocket.

“Now, to start playing just walk out that door and it will take you to the World City Server, or ‘Neutral City’ as some players call it, its where all players are while they aren’t fighting any battles. You can begin playing at any time, and you can ask for in game help pressing the button next to every in game feature that has a help button next to it, I’ll appear and answer any in game related question you might have. Ore you can just ask me to give you some training tutorial missions.”

“Okay, Erika, bye for now and thank you for everything.” said Azure as he opened the door leading out of the hangar, waving at Erika.

“Bye Azure, good luck.” said Erika, waving back, He’s nice, nobody has ever treated me as anything else than Computer Software. I hope he does alright in the game.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Azure stepped out of the hangar and into the streets of “Neutral Base”, the World City Server.

The first thing that came to his mind was how huge it was! No wonder it was called the World City Server, it looked like a giant city, it combined architecture found in the United States, Russia, Germany and Japan, the buildings were huge, some even looked as big as sky scrapers. It was like if he had stepped inside a strange merger of New York, Moscow, Berlin and Tokyo.

Azure also noticed all the other Pilot Avatars walking around, of the many other players populating the Server. Since the merger of all the game servers into a single world wide server, all the players from all over the world could be found here. And since the game used the new universal translators, no matter where you were from you would be able to understand the other players regardless of what language they were speaking in.

Azure didn’t fail to notice the wide variety of Pilot Avatars. There were both male and female avatars, all of them humanoid. The game was mostly based on real life World War 2 and Korean War technology, but some of the customizable options for an in game Pilot Avatar allowed not only full customization of the pilot uniform, but also things like face paint and even some fantasy settings like elf or animal like ears. Everyone was wearing some variation of an airplane pilot suit worn by any of the countries involved in World War 2, however, but colors and clothes patterns were fully customizable too, so there was a lot of variety, it was pretty hard to find two Pilot Avatars that looked alike. Some looked original, but Azure didn’t fail to notice that some had been customized to look like famous people, both living and dead, as well as characters from different comic books and Japanese manga and anime.

Azure began to walk around the ‘city’ taking it all in. All the stores were stores to either buy an airplane, there were stores to buy German planes, Japanese planes, Soviet planes and North American planes, there were Fighter stores, Attack airplane stores, Heavy Fighter stores, Multirole Fighter stores, there were shops to buy airplane upgrades, shops for accessories, like new ammo, equipment and consumables, and there were even some Premium Shops with a sign that said “We only accept Gold” at the door... those looked more fancy than the regular shops.

He also saw several “recruitment offices” to join different clans, there were also a lot of posters for said clans all over the city, but they appeared to be only of two clans. All the clan recruitment posters and signs Azure saw all over the city were either asking players to join the “Black Diamond Air Force” or the “Red Clover Air Force”.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sakura’s Pilot Avatar was named after, and looked like, Sakura Shinguji from the Sakura Taisen video game, anime and manga series.

She was standing in front of the recruitment office for a clan named the “Hanasora Air Force”, handing out leaflets with the contact information of the clan.

“Join the Hanasora Air Force,” she said out loud to every passer by, none acknowledger her or even took any of the leaflets she was handing out, “Don’t let the Red Clovers or the Black Diamonds intimidate you. We help new players get started, check our Twitter account, or give us a message on Facebook. Together we can make World of Warplanes a game that can be fun for everyone.”

She suddenly saw the Pilot Avatar of Azure walking around at the street across from her, looking at every building and the whole game in awe.

That guy over there, looking around like everything he is seeing is for the first time, and the rank badges on his uniform show that he is just an Airman. His whole demeanor screams out ‘I’m a noob’.

She saw how Azure was about to turn a corner, but from where she was standing she could see three familiar looking Pilot Avatars standing at the other side of the corner, looking at Azure walking towards them and whispering with each other.

The Golden Cobras Air Force? Those guys are always trying to take advantage of noobs! Whoever that new guy is, he doesn’t deserve to have his first in game experience ruined by them. I have to help him. Thought Sakura as she began crossing the streets.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Azure was busy looking at the buildings around him that he didn’t see the three other players walking around the corner and in front of him, he bumped into them and fell down to the ground.

“Ouch, that actually hurt…” said Azure out loud, “It’s amazing how real and life like this game is.”

As he looked up to see what he had bumped into to, he saw three Pilot Avatars, two males and one female, one of the male ones looked rather big. They had hairdos that looked like they came from old 80s and 90s beat-em-up video games, with face paint to match. Their pilot uniforms were yellow, and they had the crest of a golden cobra sewed on their arms. None of them offered a hand to Azure to stand back up.

(Look at picture.)

Azure stood back up, “I’m sorry I bumped into you, I’m not looking for trouble. I was just taking in the scenery, it was an accident.” he said apologetically.

“You bump into us on purpose and then you have the nerve to say it was an accident?” said the one that looked like the leader of the three.

“You should think twice before you try to mess with the Golden Cobras.” said the female punk.

“Yeah, think it twice.” repeated the big punk.

“But it really was an accident.” said Azure again.

“That’s it! I had it with that attitude of yours! We challenge you to an Air Duel!” said the punk leader.

“Yeah, Air Duel.” repeated the big punk.

“So, what is it going to be, you noob, do you accept or are you chicken.” said the female punk.

“I’m no chicken!” replied Azure, “And I accept your challenge!”

“Heh heh heh, that’s better.” said the punk leader.

Just then Sakura stepped in to interrupt, “You three, stop bothering the noobs!” she said to the Golden Cobras.

“Oh, great, here comes the defender of the weak.” said the female punk, “I told you we should not be noob hunting near the recruitment office for the Hanasora Air Force.”

“Hey, that’s the best place to go noob hunting and everyone knows it.” replied the punk leader, he turned to look at Sakura, “Listen here, you Hanasora goodie two shoes, we challenged him to an Air Duel and he already accepted. We didn’t break any of the rules.”

“Yeah, any of the rules.” repeated the big punk.

“Of course you didn’t…” said Sakura sarcastically.

The punk leader looked at Azure again, “So, shorty, are you just going to hide behind a GIRL?”

“That’s pretty pathetic.” said the female punk.

“Yeah, pathetic.” repeated the big punk.

“Hey, I don’t hide behind anyone! I can defend myself just fine!” said Azure.

Sakura turned to look at Azure, frowning, “Listen here, you are brave and I can respect that, but there’s a fine line between bravery and stupidity. In this game you have to know how to pick your fights, and when to walk away, or else you won’t last very long.”

“It doesn’t matter what you tell him,” said the leader of the Golden Cobras, “We challenged him to an Air Duel, and he accepted, and that’s that, the game rules are clear on it. What are you going to do about it, huh?”

“Yeah, what are you going to do about it, huh?” repeated the big punk.

Sakura looked at them, arms crossed and full of determination, “Well, the three of you against him is kind of unfair, so to even up the odds I’m going to join his side on the Air Duel against you.”

“Thank you, but I don’t need your help.” said Azure to Sakura.

Sakura looked at Azure again, “Listen here you noob, if you are proud enough to accept a challenge to which you’re not ready for, then at least try to be smart enough to accept help when someone is offering it to you!”

At this new turn of events, the punk leader looked at his two subordinates, “Okay everyone, Cobra Meeting.”

The three Golden Cobras stepped a few feet away from Azure and Sakura and began whispering with each other.

“Having a Three on one Dogfight against a noob is one thing, but that little princess is going to be a problem. What do we do?” asked the female punk.

“Yeah, what do we do?” asked the big punk.

“Don’t worry. This is actually better for us. She doesn’t know that we were finally able to get enough experience and credits to change our old Tier IV F2A Buffalos for brand new Tier V F4F Wildcats. She no longer has a tier advantage over us, we can take her this time, and get even more experience points than what we would have gotten from just that noob.” replied the leader. The three Golden Cobras walked back to Sakura and Azure.

“Okay, we’ll duel the both of you. Let’s go fetch the planes and fly over to the Air Duel area.” said the leader.

“Yeah, the Air Duel area.” repeated the big punk.

“Fine.” replied Sakura.

The Golden Cobras walked to one side of the street while Sakura walked towards the other, she turned her head when she noticed that Azure wasn’t following her. “So, are you coming or what?”

“Huh? Where do we go?” asked Azure.

“To the hangar to get an airplane and fight the Air Duel you so foolishly accepted. You know that if you don’t fight an Air Duel that was already accepted you lose by default, right?” explained Sakura.

“Ah, yeah… okay.” said Azure as he walked towards Sakura, the two of them began walking towards one of the many hangars in the Server.

“What exactly is an Air Duel?” asked Azure.

The question was expected from a noob, so Sakura simply answered, “The game World of Warplanes has many ways of playing, some of them have been around since the game’s inception, and other are new now that they have full immersive VR. We can go over all of them later, for now you just need to know that an Air Duel is when one, or more players challenge another player, or group of players. There is no restriction between clans or tiers or ranks, anyone can challenge anyone. The duel has to be accepted by all sides involved, and once it does, you have to participate in the duel or lose by default. There are no computer bots or AA ground defenses or anything like that, just player on player action. The winner, or winners, of an Air Duel steal some of the experience points and credits of the loser. The loser also has to pay the repair fees of his or her airplane used in the duel.”

“So… do we know each other in real life or something?” asked Azure.

“Do you live in La Plata City?” asked Sakura.

“Huh… no.” replied Azure, he didn’t even know where that was.

“Then probably not.” replied Sakura.

“Then why are you helping me?” asked Azure.

“See this?” said Sakura, pointing at the Hanasora Air Force symbol on her arm,

“This means I’m a member of a clan, the Hanasora Air Force, you might have read about us on the game’s forum, if you know where to look. One of our goals is to help out new players to start playing the game, there are a lot of players out there that want to climb up the ranks and experience by taking advantage of low level players, like those guys from the Golden Cobras clan.”

“You keep using that word ‘clan’ what exactly does it mean?” asked Azure.

“Wait, you don’t know about Air Duels, and you also don’t know about clans? Did you read up the game instructions? Or asked Erika to show you the tutorial levels?”

“Ah… well… no, not really.” replied Azure, scratching the back of his head.

Sakura face palmed when she heard this, “At least tell me that you have participated in at least one battle in the game already.”

“Well, no… I just started playing like ten minutes ago.” said Azure.

“You started playing ten minutes ago, and you accepted an Air Duel without even knowing what that was? Remember what I said about a line between being brave and being stupid.” commented Sakura.

“Hey!” exclaimed Azure.

The two of them finally reached one of the hangars for players. An NPC girl dressed in a similar uniform as Erika had been, but with long hair tied up in a long pigtail was standing by the door.

(Look at picture)

“… the girl standing in front of the hangars is Nancy, like Erika she is an NPC, tasked with greeting players when they want to enter the hanger, greeting Nancy is a way to signal the game that you are ready to start a battle. In this case, we’ll be joining the Air Duel you accepted against the Golden Cobras. Once this is over, you should really read up more about the game, and ask Erika to open the tutorial missions for you.” Sakura finished her explanation.

The Hanasora Air Force member looked at the NPC with the long pigtail, “Hello Nancy, we’re here to get our airplanes for an Air Duel.”

“Very well, Sakura, Azure, your Air Duel has already been confirmed, you can step right in and take off as soon as you are ready.” replied the NPC ‘Nancy’.

Sakura and Azure entered the hangar, “We now have to choose one of our airplanes and take off for the battle. If we had more time I would explain everything to you in more detail, but if we delay the Air Duel any more we might get a defeat by default. We have about a minute while the game server gets everything ready for the battle, you can access the game manual while you’re doing that, just open it and read as much as you can on how to fly the plane and the basics of air combat.”

“Read the manual while the battle loads, got it!” replied Azure.

Sakura walked over to an A6M Zero, it was painted with a custom pink camo pattern, and it had the Hanasora Air Force clan emblem on it.

“This is is my Tier V A6M Zero airplane. I spent quite a lot of credits on it to have it fully upgraded with the best engine, and some equipment and consumables to compensate for its weaknesses like a self sealing tank, airframe polish and covering.” explained Sakura.

“Wow… it looks so cool!” said Azure.

“You don’t have much experience, so I don’t expect you to do much, but that’s okay, I fought those three before and I know I can take them,” said Sakura as she stepped on the wing and began to get into the plane’s cockpit, “Just stay away from the dogfight else and try to keep your airplane steady and on the air.”

“What? But I want to help out in the fight!” said Azure.

“That’s nice, but you have no experience and you never flew even a single tutorial mission. You even said it yourself that you logged in about 10 minutes ago! Just stay away from the action and let me handle things, its for the better.” said Sakura as she sat at her plane’s cockpit and fastened the seatbelt.

Azure looked down at the ground in disappointment, “Okay… fine.” he said as he walked over to where his airplanes were kept. He stepped into the cockpit of the Polikarpov I-5 and got ready.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

The Air Duel started as the airplanes reached the arena used for Air Duels, a map big enough to have up to 15 airplanes per side fighting each other in up to two groups. Sakura’s Zero and Azure’s Polikarpov were flying over the starting area of one of the two sides.

“Now, like I said before, the duel will be between us and the three of them. This area has default spawn points so both sides know where the other started up. I fought those guys before and they don’t usually strategize, so they will most likely come directly for us. Our airplanes are better suited for low altitude engagements, so we should better stay low.”

“Wow… I can hear you just fine even if you are on the other airplane!” exclaimed Azure from his plane.

“Yeah, during a duel every player from the same group can be contacted via the airplane’s radio, which activates the in-game voice chat. You can configure it so you can talk with every member of your team, or just one player, or you can contact all the players in the battlefield, even enemies.” explained Sakura.

“Wow… amazing,” said Azure, he was happy, he was finally flying one of his airplanes in World of Warplanes. And the VR equipment made everything feel so… real. He could hear the airplane’s engine, he could feel the wind on his skin, he could feel every turn the airplane did on the air, it felt exactly like how flying an old WW2 era Polikarpov would feel like. “This game is so cool, it really feels like if I were flying an airplane.”

“I know this must be very exciting for you, being your first time playing, but keep your eyes alert, the Golden Cobras could attack us at any time.” said Sakura.

“Yeah, got it.” replied Azure.

Just then, Sakura could see a small gleam in the sky above her. She suddenly recognized it as three airplanes diving right towards her Zero and Azure’s Polikarpov.

“Azure! Enemies at three o’ clock! Turn! Turn! Turn!” said Sakura. Sakura knew the advantages of her Zero and its shortcomings, she had used it in countless battles, so she knew to always keep an eye up for enemies trying to attack her in a dive.

Sakura quickly was able to turn towards the diving airplanes, causing them to overshoot, but in his inexperience, Azure turned away from the airplanes.

The Golden Cobras split up as well, “Now’s our chance! You two follow her, I’ll take care of the noob!” said the leader of the Golden Cobras from his airplane, “Roger that!” said one of the other two, “Yeah, Roger that.” said the other one.

Sakura was surprised to see that the Golden Cobras were no longer flying Buffalos, but F4F Wildcats instead, the crest of the Golden Cobras decorated them.

Sakura wasn’t scared of them, however, if these were new airplanes, that meant that they hadn’t had too many battles in them, they wouldn’t have been fully upgraded yet. And that also meant that they didn’t know all the advantages and disadvantages of the Wildcat against a Zero.

Sakura climbed up, boosting her engine. The Wildcats followed suit.

She then made her airplane do a roll while climbing, turning it back with the nose down, doing a controlled dive. The lightweight and high maneuver of the Zero allowed her to fly vertically for a longer period of time and do this, while the Wildcat’s heavier frame caused it to stall first. When she dived, she saw to Wildcats falling down out of control. Before they could gain momentum and speed, Sakura shot one Wildcat down. The big punk’s airplane started to fall down in a ball of fire.

That girl is amazing, thought Azure, I want to do that too!

“Damn it! We can’t let her get the better of us! Defensive maneuvers! Now!” said the leader of the Golden Cobras, disengaging Azure to go and help his teammate.

“Roger that!” replied the female punk.

The two remaining Golden Cobras began flying their planes in an horizontal wave pattern, each one crossing the other, what is commonly known as a Thach Wave.

Sakura recognized the pattern immediately, and knew not to follow them. If she tried to follow one of the Wildcats, the other one will place itself at her six o’ clock making her an easy target to shot down. She needed to find a way to break their flight pattern first.

Suddenly, Azure’s Polikarpov came flying right towards the two Wildcats when they were near completion of one of the waves. “Don’t forget about me!” said Azure, using the function of the voice chat to talk with everyone.

“Ah! It’s the noob!” said the female punk.

“Let’s teach him what real dogfighting is like! You keep the Zero busy, I’ll shoot him down in a second!” said the leader.

However, one Golden Cobra alone was no match for Sakura who did quick work of the Wildcat. However, it did take her longer than usual to shoot it down.

I finally shot her down, thought Sakura, But it took me too long, I have to help that new player before the leader gets him.

She looked around, and saw the Polikarpov being tailed by the Wildcat, who was shooting at Azure, far away from her.

No! They are too far away, I’ll never reach them in time to help him with my Zero! thought Sakura to herself, worried.

The leader of the Golden Cobras centered Azure’s airplane in his sights and got ready to fire one last burst, “I got you now you stupid noob, there’s no escape. Easy XP and Credits coming my way.”

I have to do something! Anything! though Azure, he had to make that Wildcat go from behind him to being in front of him, but how!? Keeping the plane going straight being completely inexperienced was hard enough, dodging the bullets was almost impossible, how exactly was he going to outmaneuver him!

Azure began to turn clockwise, the airplane began to yaw to the left, Azure applies rudder to compensate, but then he applies too much rudder, and the airplane slips to the other side.

Amazing! That new kid is flying for the first time, and he did a perfect skid, almost by instinct! Though Sakura as she saw Azure’s flying.

The Wildcat suddenly overshoots the Polikarpov, getting the leader of the Golden Cobras caught entirely by surprise. Azure takes the chance and shoots the Wildcat at point blank, causing it to fall down like his teammates.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Later, both Sakura and Azure were stepping out of their airplanes.

“You were amazing up there!” said Azure walking over to Sakura, “I hope that one day I can be as good as you!”

“Thank you,” replied Sakura with a smile, “But you aren’t that bad yourself, I saw you flying your Polikarpov and you seem to have good instincts for this, a little rough around the edges, but definitely a diamond in the rough.”

Sakura stepped down from the airplane’s wing and on the floor of the hangar. “I can give you some basic training, give you some pointers into being a better fighter pilot, if you want me to.”

“Yeah! That would be awesome. I’m Azure, by the way.” said Azure, offering Sakura his hand.

Sakura took his hand and shook it, she already knew his username, but she figured Azure wasn’t familiar with the in game mechanics to know what to look for to identify other player’s usernames “I’m Sakura.” she said, introducing herself the old fashion way.

END OF PART 1

Edited by Persona22, 23 May 2018 - 11:04 PM.

Persona22 #2 Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:32 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 144 battles
For some reason the topic got got double posted while I was editing it. Please ignore the other one, this one is the correct one.

mnbv_fockewulfe #3 Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:02 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Nice work!:great:

Definitely a very interesting concept. Reads a little bit like an extended tutorial for the game and I guess anime is a thing in WOWP now (I somehow ended up in a discord server with a bunch of people who are into anime and WOWP, strange coincidence)?

I hope you actually go into the actual flying part and describe how exhilarating acceleration really is in future installments. 
Also can't wait to meet some of the original players!:popcorn: 

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Reitousair #4 Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5913 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Fanfiction isn't usually my cup of tea but hey, very nicely done! though the grammar nazi in me noticed a few of the spelling errors here and there

Wonder how this story'll unfold, for sure. Do write another piece from time to time if you can afford to do so, I'm quite interested in this.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #5 Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:57 AM

Captain

• 559 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Persona22

pretty nice read and you kept it fun,

waiting for part 2

now you got two up votes from me,

it better be good

:)

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Persona22 #6 Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 144 battles

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 22 May 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

Nice work!:great:

Definitely a very interesting concept. Reads a little bit like an extended tutorial for the game and I guess anime is a thing in WOWP now (I somehow ended up in a discord server with a bunch of people who are into anime and WOWP, strange coincidence)?

I hope you actually go into the actual flying part and describe how exhilarating acceleration really is in future installments. 
Also can't wait to meet some of the original players!:popcorn: 

Thanks, my original plan is to have more in depth descriptions about real life air manouvers, but I'll try to make more in dept descriptions on how the characters feel when they fly.

The idea on players is that its a reflection on Interent culture. Anime is a big parto of it, so are memes, and so on. I will try to keep it more focused on the actual Airplanes fighting, of course.

As for having real players... well, I don't want to start some flame war or anything, this is more for everyone's enjoyment so no actual real players of the game will show up.

View PostReitousair, on 22 May 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

Fanfiction isn't usually my cup of tea but hey, very nicely done! though the grammar nazi in me noticed a few of the spelling errors here and there

Wonder how this story'll unfold, for sure. Do write another piece from time to time if you can afford to do so, I'm quite interested in this.

I'm sorry for the bad grammar, I use spellchecking in word but even then some things slip by, keep in mind that English is not my first language.

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 23 May 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

Persona22

pretty nice read and you kept it fun,

waiting for part 2

now you got two up votes from me,

it better be good

:)

Thanks! I will most likely post part 2 later and part 3 maybe this week or next week. If the feedback keeps being positive, I'll try and post more in a regular basis. I do have a plot and a full story arc planned... it DEFINETLY has a anime-like tone to it, but it is meant to appeal to people that like the game, and airplanes of WW2 in general.

Medjoe #7 Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3778 battles

Very interesting idea and imagining of a WoWP online environment! :) 

Are you considering using in-game screenshots to represent some of the scenes, namely the air duels? The training rooms could be very useful to stage photo-shoots for the story, and I think would be greatly appreciated by the readers. Understandably, commissioning can be a delicate and tricky thing, but using the game and some mods (colour palettes for specific planes I suppose?) could prove quite lucrative! :D

"Mobilis in mobili"

"It's more than you'd expect but less than you'd hope."

"Promise nothing and deliver less."

"This is either gonna be the biggest pork chop I ever ate... or my bulldozer."

Reitousair #8 Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:10 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5913 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostPersona22, on 23 May 2018 - 07:32 AM, said:

I'm sorry for the bad grammar, I use spellchecking in word but even then some things slip by, keep in mind that English is not my first language.

Nah worries, I just noticed a few errors but it wasn't enough to make me go ballistic.

Still the idea of basing it just on the game and your vision of the game, internet culture, and all of that is probably for the best. Since creating parallels to real clans/players and all of that might cause... sparks, to say the least.

Keep up the good work though, and I don't mind the anime-esque tone (as perhaps apparent from my current avatar lol.)

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

Persona22 #9 Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:42 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 144 battles

View PostMedjoe, on 23 May 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

Very interesting idea and imagining of a WoWP online environment! :) 

Are you considering using in-game screenshots to represent some of the scenes, namely the air duels? The training rooms could be very useful to stage photo-shoots for the story, and I think would be greatly appreciated by the readers. Understandably, commissioning can be a delicate and tricky thing, but using the game and some mods (colour palettes for specific planes I suppose?) could prove quite lucrative! :D

That sounds like a good idea. I'll see what I can find, because I haven't unlocked all the airplanes used in the story, so it would be kind of difficult for me to do the screenshots from my own account.

As for the rooms... I can't really commision anything with my current financial situation, but I guess I can post some pictures of real life rooms?

Persona22 #10 Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:49 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 144 battles

Note: This story is fanfiction based on  the World of Warplanes online game by Wargaming. Any similarity with any real person, be it player, clan or anything else related to the game is completely coincidental and was unintended. In fact, the characters depicted are not even meant to have personalities similar to what the person or character is like in real life.

The story is filled with cultural references, in game references and a lot of clichés, it is meant to be a fun read.

This is a work of fiction and shouldn’t be taken as more than that. Thank you and I hope you enjoy reading it.

Note 2: This is part 1 of a multi part story. If I get a positive reaction from the community I'll post more. (No point in posting something that nobody will read afterall.

Note 3: The pictures in here serving as a visual aid were commisioned by me by other artists on deviantart, I have commisioned some more, but I am currently broke and it will be immpossible for me to commision more, so after those are used up, I will just post text and some simple edited pictures to serve as visual aid. I have very poor picture editing skills after all.

“Virtual Aces: The story of Azure.” a World of Warplanes work of fiction.

By Persona22

Part 2

“Azure” was in his room, reading up more about World of Warplanes, and airplanes in general. He had been playing for less than a week now, and Sakura had been coaching him, but he wanted to learn as much as he could and be a better player.

He then noticed the time on the computer screen, and realized that he had to log in, Sakura has asked him to meet her at this time in the game for another flying lesson.

He quickly put on the Virtual Reality gear and logged into World of Warplanes.

Again he saw the bright light he was so used to by now, he knew that as soon as his vision cleared, he would be in the game.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Azure opened his eyes and looked around, here he was, near a hangar in “Neutral Base” the World City Server. As busy as ever, he saw several players coming and going walking through the streets, some were chatting with each other, others were entering a hangar or one of the stores.

Now all he needed to do was look for Sakura and…

“Hi there, Azure.” came Sakura’s voice from behind him.

Azure quickly turned around, and sure enough Sakura was standing behind him, cheerful as usual.

“Sakura, you logged in before I did… how did you know I was going to spawn here?” asked Azure.

“This is the hangar you used the last time.” said Sakura.

“Oh, right! Every time a player logs out, the game remembers the last building they were closest to when they did, and the character spawns in right next to that building. I read that in the user’s guide.” replied Azure.

“Very good Azure,” said Sakura, “I see that you’ve been reading up on the game, just like I told you.”

“Yes, I also read up about clans and ranks.” said Azure.

“That’s good, why don’t you tell me and see how much you’ve learned since we last talked.” said Sakura.

“Well, the lowest rank for a player is Airman, and the highest is General. Each player has their rank displayed on the uniforms of their Pilot Avatars.” said Azure.

“Great! Now, let’s see if you can identify those rank symbols. Looking at our uniforms, which is my rank, and which is you rank?” asked Sakura.

Azure did so, “Mine is Airman, and you are a Captain.”

“You got it! And how do you get a better rank?” asked Sakura.

“By winning Experience Points playing the game.” replied Azure.

“And what about clans?” asked Sakura.

“Clans are created by a player, and other players can join so they can play with each other more effectively, and it also has a list of members, a message board and a private chat. Clans are like air groups, or as big as a whole air force, and they can also fight in the clan wars.” explained Azure.

“Yes, that’s right. Clan wars have had several changes since its inception, even more now that the game has gone Virtual Reality. But we can get into that later, right now I want to see how much your skills flying the plane have improved.” said Sakura.

“Sure! How do you want me to do it?” asked Azure.

“Instead of a Battle mission, I want to see you pilot your airplane in a purely acrobatic mission. No fighting, just flying your airplane around. It is a game mode that was introduced for players that like flying the airplanes acrobatically more than the actual dogfights.” explained Sakura, “You can also choose to fight against A.I. Fighter Bots if you don’t want to fight other players in an actual battle. Either way, it’s a good way to get Credits and Experience Points, but you don’t get as many as if you were fighting actual players.”

“Okay, sounds like fun.” said Azure, “Will you be flying with me?”

“Not today. I’ll just be observing. I’ll be in a control tower, talking with you on the Chat Radio and keeping an eye on the radar to see how you do.” explained Sakura. “You get in the hangar and take off, I’ll go to the control tower, we’ll see each other when you land back down.”

“Okay, got it!” said Azure.

Sakura walked away from the hangar as Azure walked towards it and approached Nancy, the NPC standing near the hangar door.

“Hello Nancy, I would like to take my plane out for an acrobatic flight mission.” said Azure to the A.I.

“Sure thing, Azure, your plane is ready for take off.” replied Nancy happily.

+++++++++++++++

Once again, Azure was back in the virtual skies flying his main airplane. It had taken him some grinding, but in just a few days he had been able to unlock up to the Tier III Polikarpov I-16. He had already unlocked all the upgrades, and was just a few Experience Points away from unlocking the Tier IV Polikarpov I-17.

He still found the feeling of flying in the game to be completely amazing. He knew that it was VR, and that it wasn’t real, but it totally felt real. He could feel everything, every turn the plane made, every gust of wind, the G-forces that climbing, diving and turning applied on his body.

He was lost in a daze, as he was just taking in the experience of flying the airplane, when Sakura’s voice came over on the airplane’s radio.

“Your airplane looks nice, Azure, I see you gave it a nice custom white and blue paint job, and that wolf teeth nose paint.” said Sakura’s voice.

“You can see me from down there?” asked Azure.

“Sure I can. You are at low altitude, and I have a pretty nice view from the control tower. It’s the one right next to the air strip on the base below you and to your right.” came Sakura’s voice from the radio. “It even has a radar screen, so I can still follow you even if you get too far away.”

Azure looked around and was able to see the control tower Sakura was talking about.

“You can’t see me, but I’m waving at you right now.” came Sakura’s voice from the radio.

In response, Azure moved the wings of his plane up and down.

“Now, the mission you entered is purely an acrobatic one, it’s a low lever mission so it will be pretty basic, its barely harder than the tutorial. But it’ll be perfect for me to see how well you can do the basic air maneuvers I’ve been teaching you. Are you ready?”

“Yes, I’m ready.” replied Azure.

“Okay, all you need to do is make three maneuvers. An Immelmann turn, a Split-S and an Inside Loop.” explained Sakura, “You do know what those are now, right?”

“Yes, I’ve been reading up the names of the maneuvers you wanted me to practice.” replied Azure.

“That’s great! I’ll be here, so if you have any questions on how to do them, don’t hesitate to ask me.” said Sakura. “You better get moving, an acrobatic mission gives you more experience and credits depending on how fast you complete them.”

Azure kept his airplane leveled, and then pulled up, increasing the power to the engine doing a half loop, when the airplane was upside down, he turned it and leveled it again, reversing his direction and increasing his altitude, the mission signal confirmed that he had completed an Immelmann turn.

Then Azure did a half roll, with his airplane upside down he began to do a controlled dive, until his airplane was leveled at a lower altitude and going in the opposite direction, again the mission signal confirmed he had completed the Split-S.

Finally, Azure made his plane do a vertical circle from a leveled flight position, with the plane’s canopy always pointing inwards of the circle, and the Inside Loop was done.

The mission complete text appeared shortly afterwards.

Sakura watched from her vantage point how Azure’s airplane was landing. She still couldn’t believe how quickly Azure’s skills were progressing. He had done all three maneuvers flawlessly, and with excellent time. First he did a perfect Skid during his first air engagement, shooting down a plane in the process, and now in just a couple of days, he had done three basic air maneuvers with only the most basic of training. He had gone from being a complete noob, to a fairly competent player in a really short period of time. Sakura wondered just how much potential Azure had, and what was his limit… if he had any.

As Azure landed his Tier III Polikarpov I-16, and got out of the plane, Sakura was there to greet him. “Good job Azure.”

“Thank you Sakura, and the report of the mission just came in, with the experience points I got here, now I can unlock and buy the I-17, if I combine the airplane’s points with my free experience points.” said Azure.

“Really? That’s good, I suppose you have been focusing on just one the USSR tech tree.” said Sakura.

“Yes, at least for now.” replied Azure.

“That’s very good, its faster to unlock airplanes when you focus on just one branch of a tech tree. Unlocking the first four tiers of a tech tree is the easy part, but getting to Tier V and beyond, that’s where the real grinding starts.” said Sakura.

“Now, after we go into one of the store to buy the Polikarpov I-17, we can go to… huh?” Sakura got a surprised look in the middle of her sentence.

“Sakura? Is something wrong?” asked Azure.

“I just got a PM on the Hanasora Air Force clan chat… It’s from General Kigiku, she’s asking me to go see her right now! I’m sorry Azure, but I really have to go and see her.” explained Sakura.

“Wait, who is this General ‘Kigiku?” asked Azure.

“She is the founder, leader, and highest ranking player of the Hanasora Air Force clan. As far as the game goes, she’s my boss.” explained Sakura.

“Really? Would it be okay if I go with you? I would really like to meet a player that has been able to reach such a high ranking.” asked Azure.

Sakura thought about it for a second, then nodded, “Yeah, alright, follow me, I wanted to introduce you to her eventually.” replied Sakura as she started to walk away, Azure following her soon after. But I would have liked for you to meet her in a different circumstance. she added mentally.

+++++++++++

A minute later, Sakura and Azure where in front of the recruitment office of the Hanasora Air Force clan, the same spot where Sakura had first seen Azure.

As they walked in, the first thing Azure noticed was the A.I. NPC character sitting at the front desk. She was wearing the same NPC uniforms that Erika and Nancy wore, and her hair was long down to her hips.

“Hello there, Mary, I came to see General Kigiku.” said Sakura to the NPC.

“Hi there, Sakura, Kigiku is in the office at the back, as usual.” replied the NPC.

“Thanks. This here is Azure, he isn’t a clan member, but he has my invitation to come inside this time.” said Sakura, pointing at Azure standing next to her.

“Okay, you can both go in then.” replied the NPC Mary.

Azure and Sakura walked over to the door in the farthest side of the office. “That was Mary, the A.I. NPC assigned to all clan halls. She is in charge of managing the clan’s information, give out alerts, process join requests for further approval, that sort of thing.” explained Sakura.

“Oh, okay.” replied Azure, wondering how many NPC’s were there. He already met the ones in charges of managing the different in game stores for buying and selling aircrafts, they all seemed to wear the same uniform.

Sakura opened the door to the office and walked in with Azure in tow.

“General Kigiku, I came as soon as I got your Private Message and… huh?”

“Thank you Captain Sakura for coming in such a short notice.” said General Kigiku. Her Pilot Avatar looked like the original Wonder Woman, not Gal Gadot, but Lynda Carter, when she was younger, and she was wearing glasses.

Her pilot uniform looked more like an officer’s than an actual pilot, impeccably dressed and with the markings of a General and the clan emblem of the Hanasora Air Force on her arms.

But she wasn’t alone. Another Pilot Avatar was there. The player was using one of the more exotic character creation features, having Tolkien elf like ears on the character, her pilot uniform had the ranking markings of a Major, and she had the emblem of the Black Diamonds clan. Looking at Sakura with a smug smile.

“I was told to come here right away,” said Sakura, looking upset and looking at the player from the Black Diamonds, “But what is SHE doing here?”

“She is exactly the reason why I called you here, Sakura.” explained Kigiku. “Major Bregoldes here, is saying that your actions a few days ago was an unprovoked attack against one of the clans allied with the Black Diamonds.”

“That’s right,” said Bregoldes, “Sakura here had an air duel with members of the clan of the Golden Cobras, which as you all know, is one of the clans allied with the Black Diamonds. She did this completely unprovoked, and her actions should be considered as the clan of the Hanasora Air Force breaking the neutrality accords of the Peace Treaty, declaring themselves no longer neutral, but enemies of the Black Diamonds.”

“What!?” exclaimed Sakura, clearly upset, she waved a finger at Bregoldes, “That’s a lie! I didn’t confront the Golden Cobras! Those cowardly scum that you bastards call ‘allies’ had challenged a new player to an Air Duel, all I did was offer to join the new player’s team. The Air Duel, thus, was between the new player and the Golden Cobras, not between them and the Hanasora Air Force. It was NOT an act of aggression against the Black Diamonds in any shape or form! You have some nerve coming here and accusing me of doing something like that!”

“Sakura, that’s enough. I wanted you to give your side of the story, and you did, that’s it for now.” General Kigiku interrupted calmly but firmly.

Sakura immediately caught herself, she calmed down and backed down from Bregoldes. “Yes, I understand. I apologize for my outburst.” she said quietly, managing to contain her anger.

Kigiku turned to look at Bregoldes again, “As you can see, Major Bregoldes, Captain Sakura never had any intention of confronting the Golden Cobras. She was just assisting a new player in an Air Duel challenge, and her actions shouldn’t be considered an act of aggression against the Black Diamonds, or one of their allies, since the battle was between them and another player, who isn’t even a member of the Hanasora Air Force clan.” stated Kigiku, “Sakura didn’t challenge the Golden Cobras directly, and she didn’t accept a challenge from them either. The position of neutrality of Hanasora Air Force stands. Or we can get a moderator to come here and confirm everything?”

“No, that won’t be necessary,” Bregoldes crossed her arms and smiled, “However, a member of the Hanasora Air Force was involved in the Air Duel, I think that it is only fair that the Hanasora Air Force pays for the repairs and other expenses for the repairs of the airplanes of the Golden Cobras. I think that 3 million credits should be enough to cover everything, wouldn’t you agree?”

Before Kigiku could answer, Sakura slammed her hands on the desk, “What!? You can’t be serious! 3 million credits! Those F4F Wildcats are not even worth half as much! And the Air Duel wasn’t even our fault!”

Kigiku replied before Bregoldes could retort to Sakura’s outburst, “Very well, Major Bregoldes, our clan will pay the 3 million credits in compensation for the damages.” The transfer of credits between clans was a brand new feature of the game.

“Ah, I am glad to hear that.” said Bregoldes, again with a smug smile.

“What!? No! Captain, you can’t let her get away with that!” exclaimed Sakura.

For the first time since Sakra had walked in the room, Kigiku looked upset, she frowned and looked directly at Sakura, “Captain Sakura! I told you to be quiet! Is that clear?” she said, loudly and firmly, but still somewhat calmly.

Kigiku then turned to look at Bregoldes, “Tell the Black Diamond higher ups that the transfer of the credits will be done later today.”

Bregoldes nodded, “Good to hear. I will report that the clan of the Hanasora Air Force has accepted our demands and that their position of neutrality hasn’t been broken.” the Major turned around and walked towards the door, she exited the office, not giving Azure, who was standing right outside the door, a second look.

Once she was gone, Kigiku looked at Sakura, she was completely calm again, “Sakura, it doesn’t matter who’s fault it was. The Black Diamonds and the Red Clovers are both looking for any excuse to drag us into their war, trying to make us break neutrality so they can declare war on us without breaking the Neutrality Accords. If we didn’t give them the credits now, then they would have threatened us with ever more outlandish things.”

Sakura sighed, “Yes, General, I understand. I’ll be more careful next time.”

“I’m sorry, but an apology isn’t going to be enough, Sakura.” replied Kigiku, “You were very impulsive, and acted without thinking, we already talked about this, but clearly you didn’t listen, and now your outbursts had cost us 3 million credits. We need each and every last one of those credits to properly function as an effective clan, and our economic situation is already dire as it is. You knew what was going to happen if you got involved into anything regarding the Golden Cobras, or any other clan allied with the Black Diamonds or Red Clovers.”

“Yes… I know, I’m sorry.” said Sakua, apologizing again.

“I know you are sorry, and just so you don’t forget how sorry you are, you are now on grinding duty until you are able to collect 3 million credits for the clan’s treasury to replace the ones we’ll be paying the Black Diamonds. Is that clear?” said Kigiku to Sakura.

Sakura winced but nodded her head in the affirmative, “Yes, General.”

“Wait, don’t… that’s not fair,” came Azure’s voice from outside the office, he walked in and towards Kigiku’s desk.

“Captain Sakura, who is this player?” asked Kigiku, looking at Azure.

“This is Airman Azure, that new player I talked about in the clan chatroom the other day.” explained Sakura.

“Ah, you are Azure.” said Kigiku smiling at him, “You are the player Sakura was helping when the Golden Cobras challenged you to an Air Duel?”

“Yes, this wasn’t Sakura’s fault, you shouldn’t punish her.” said Azure, “The Golden Cobras challenged me, and I accepted without really thinking about it. It was all my fault, not Sakura’s she was only trying to help me.”

“Azure, it’s okay, you don’t need to defend me.” said Sakura.

“Azure, wasn’t it?” said Kigiku, looking at him, “It doesn’t matter if she was helping you or not. Sakura was under strict orders to not challenge, or accept a challenge, of any member of the clans of the Black Diamonds or the Red Clovers, or any of the clans allied to either one of them. And to not accept a challenge from them either. She knew that the Golden Cobras were a known ally of the Black Diamonds, and when she helped you, she was disobeying a direct order. That’s it, there’s nothing else to it.” explained the captain.

“Okay, then let me do the grinding until I can get the 3 million credits for your clan.” said Azure, very serious.

Sakura was genuinely surprised at this.

If Kigiku was surprised by Azure’s attitude, she didn’t show it, the General stayed perfectly calm and collected, always with a kind smile on her face, “That is very noble of you, Azure, but I can’t accept it. This is a Hanasora Air Force clan’s disciplinary sanction to Sakura, and she has to abide by it. She knew the rules when she joined. Besides, you aren’t a clan member, so you can’t actually do missions for us, except as a detachment, and our current policy is that we don’t hire detachments.”

“Okay, then let me join your clan.” said Azure.

“I’m sorry again, Azure,” said Kigiku, “But you are just an Airman, and our clan doesn’t allow new members unless they have a rank of Captain or higher.”

“Huh? But why?” asked Azure.

“We have our reasons, but that’s not an issue right now,” said Kigiku, she quickly changed the subject, “Now, as Captain Sakura said she told you, the Hanasora Air Force has as one of their objectives to help out new players. I guess Sakura has been helping you, right?”

“Huh? Yes, she has been helping me.” replied Azure.

“Very well, if you still want our help, we’ll help you.” said Kigiku, “We have other, more experienced players, that can train you. Sakura is going to be quite busy for the next several days, and she won’t be able to do it. How does that sound?”

“I would rather have Sakura help me train me.” replied Kigiku.

Sakura placed a hand on Azure’s shoulder, “Azure, thank you for your confidence, I’m flattered, but this is the best for you. General Kigiku is right, Hanasora Air Force has players with much more experience than me, and they can give you a way better training.”

“Oh… well, I guess its okay then.” said Azure.

“Then it’s agreed. I’ll see that one of our members contacts you for your training.” said Kigiku with a smile, “Now, if you’ll excuse us, I would like to speak with Captain Sakura alone. Could you wait outside, please?”

“Huh? Yeah, sure, that’s okay.” replied Azure, “I’ll wait for you outside Sakura.”

“Thanks Azure, it’ll only take a minute.” said Sakura.

Sakura and Kigiku waited until Azure was outside and with the door closed to resume their conversation, “Sakura, you said that new player was able to do a Skid in his first air engagement?”

“Yes. He has a lot of potential, I can assure you! Just today, he completed three basic maneuvers with only the most basic guidelines and experience.” replied Sakura.

“He might have potential, but he clearly acts first and thinks later, he reminds me of another player when she also was a newbie.”

Sakura blushed a little, she knew that the General was talking about her.

“That will be all for now, Sakura” said Kigiku, “I expect you to start your grinding duties as soon as possible.”

“Yes, I won’t let you down.” said Sakura, exiting the office.

++++++++++++++++++++

Sakura walked out of the clan’s recruitment office and saw Azure waiting for her, “Sakura! Is everything okay between you and your clan leader? I’m sorry I got you in trouble.”

Sakura smiled, “Don’t worry Azure, it wasn’t really your fault.”

Azure looked at the streets around the recruitment office, “I heard that General mention the clans of the Black Diamonds and the Red Clovers… and all the recruitment posters I see all over Neutral City seem to be about them, in fact they seem the only two clans everyone keeps talking about ever since I started playing. What is up with that?”

Sakura sighed, “I don’t know the full story, since it goes way before I even had an Wargaming account. But I read about it on the forums and from talking with other players.” she began.

“Several years ago, one single clan got really powerful and had almost conquered all the land in the Global Map. No other clan came even close to matching their power. They were old school players, really old school, some of them have been playing since the game’s inception. They wanted to conquer the entire Global Map by themselves only to prove that they could, and shot down any other new clan that dare oppose them, hog all the experience and resources and everything else that came with it. Their leader was an excellent pilot, a real pro, and all the other clan members had Tier X airplanes and all of them fully upgraded. Their military might was simply unparalleled.”

Sakura continued the story, with Azure listening intently, “When over 70% of the World Map was firmly under their control, all the other players decided to join forces and do something about it. All the other clans put down their differences and decided to form an alliance. There were four players that acted as joint chief of staff, the leaders of this Alliance, all the other clans accepted to take orders from them. They were called The Four Aces, and General Kigiku was one of them… but she wasn’t a General then. Anyway, the Alliance declared war against this other great clan, and what is now known simply as The War, started.”

“The War was long, but little by little, the clans from The Alliance were able to bit by bit beat back the other clan, until finally they no longer held any territory of the Global Map. From what I heard, the clan was disbanded shortly after, and most of their members simply retired from playing the game. But it didn’t end there.” continued Sakura.

“After The War was over, there was a power vacuum left as the dominant clan, and everyone wanted to get it. Some of the members of the Alliance got so good during The War that they ended it with really high ranks, and their skills even more polished. Some of their members, including the four leaders, were offered the chance to be game moderators, but only one of them accepted. The other three, one of which was General Kigiku, got together to try to agree what direction the Alliance should take after The War.” Sakura continued.

“General Kigiku wanted for everything to just continue normally, for The Alliance to simply disband, and for the clan wars to continue like usual, and let the natural flow of the game take its course. However, the other two leaders considered that this wouldn’t stop another clan to simply become incredibly powerful all over again, and simply try to capture everything again only for another great struggle like The War to begin all over again. So they wanted to impose limits on the other clans. However, these two leaders couldn’t agree on which one of their clans should be in charge of keeping all the other smaller clans in check, or which kind of limits to impose on the players or anything else for that matter. This was the birth of the clans of the Black Diamonds and the Red Clubs, which are called Red Clovers now.”

“These two started another war of their own to become the hegemonic power among all the other clans, conquering the World Map and forcing the other clans to join them in an ‘either you are with us or against us’ policy. If a clan didn’t comply with this, they were immediately targeted as enemies and quickly disposed of, finally it was clear to all the other clans that they would need to ally themselves with either the Red Clovers or the Black Diamonds, and they did so. Pretty soon, all of the World Map was under the control of either the Red Diamonds and the Red Clovers, they had become the same thing they had been fighting against, and General Kigiku tried to let them know this, tried to reason with them but it was all for nothing.” continued Sakura.

“This leaves us in the situation we are in today, with the World Map split in half between the Black Diamonds and the Red Clovers, with some small territories held by a clan that is either an ally of the Black Clovers or of the Red Diamonds. Every single clan in World or Warplanes is now either an ally of the Red Clovers and the Red Diamonds… all of them, except for my clan, the Hanasora Air Force.”

“Only Genaral Kigiku’s skills in negotiating has allowed the other clans to see the Hanasora Air Force clan as neutral, which was how it as stayed so far, with lots on restrictions by the Black Diamonds and Red Clovers on the clan as a whole, and also all of its members, especially General Kigiku.” Sakura finished the story.

“But that sounds really unfair!” exclaimed Azure, “Just because you don’t want to take part in their power struggle? And they sound like just big bullies coercing everyone else into doing what they want them to do! And you said that those Golden Cobras guys were allied with one of them? Why did they challenge me then?”

Sakura shook her head in a resigned manner, “It’s all because of how the Red Clovers and Black Diamonds are doing things. They are very powerful when compared to any other clan, but neither one is clearly superior to the other. In order to stay as powerful as they are they simply never fight each other directly, so they have all the other little clans fighting each other for the scraps in a proxy war. The Golden Cobras are one of the most weaker clans, so the only option they have left to try and increase their ranking is to challenge new players. But they aren’t the only ones, there are many players like them, resorting to ‘noob killing’. That’s one of the reasons why the clan of the Hanasora Air Force decided to help out new players get started.”

“Then why can’t I join you? I want to help you.” said Azure.

“That’s very nice of you, Azure, but since being a member of our clan will immediately make you a target for hazing by any member of any other clan, then we have a policy of only accepting players that have increased in rank and skill, which is why General Kigiku wants new members to be at least a Captain in rank. We used to accept new players in… it wasn’t pretty. You see, Its not because we’re picky, but for your own good.”

“Well, in that case, I’m going to train and get better until I’m the best fighter pilot in all of World of Warplanes!” exclaimed Azure very determined.

“The best pilot in all of World of Warplanes? Well, that’s a pretty bold claim for a newbie. Let’s see if you have the skill and determination to back them up.” came a voice from behind them.

Surprised, both Sakura and Azure turned to look, the Pilot Avatar of the player standing behind them had a pink pilot uniform and big bunny ears decorating her head, her skin tone was also pink, one of the more exotic options in the character creation screen.

Her uniform had the markings of a Colonel, and the clan emblem of the Hanasora Air Force on her arm.

Sakura recognized her immediately, “Colonel Botan!”

“General Kigiku contacted me, and explained me everything. From tomorrow onwards, I’ll be in charge of your training, newbie.” said the Colonel to Azure.

END OF PART 2

Edited by Persona22, 23 May 2018 - 11:12 PM.

Bubba_Zanetti #11 Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1325 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostPersona22, on 23 May 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

Remove the s from https://etcectetc...

Oh crap...furry anime...to each their own...carry on

“The sad truth is that the one thing around here is that we can always rely on is broken promises” & WarMagic the Scattering- Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo █ If a company can't handle the truth based on pixelated facts then they shouldn't be in this industry to begin with. Or stop overreaching at areas where they obviously lack the resources to make a sucess (WOWP)” - ArrowZ_  As it is, this “upgrade” is totally misdirected and completely ignores all player feedback over the past few years.  How this studio continues on with the parent company is a total mystery to me.” - Bobby_Tables  The only thing that will fix this game is for the developers to right click and hit send to trash.” - xPALEHORSEx  They've been around a good while and seen a lot of flak so they surely must know what they're doing by now.” - Catch21  All wargaming has done in all their games across the board have been stupid and greedy ideas. They are failing as a company so hard. - Veraxu  Maybe Persha should avoid patches with the number 5 in them... - mnbv-fockewulfe  You put the bombsite behind a lock until you get specialist for your bombers? That's just stupid. - comtedumas  claiming victory by fixing your own problems isn't victory, it's low brow chicanery.” - TheMadPizzler  Flying games generally don't have broad appeal, and this one has issues and the company tends to pour gasoline those issues, not fix them” - _Laserguided_   “I go to RU and (rhymes with git) all over dumb Slavs to express my rage.” - Rando CA  If you want to sell someone a car, you let them take it for a test drive, you don't run them over with it.” - Blast_Radius1  My quote + Your signature + Please = Thank You” - Prenzlau  Feelings aren't stats, now shut up and go eat tide pods” - Noreaga  “The player online count was removed October 2017 and we don't have plans to return this number to be displayed. That is the decision of the developers team.” - blindfold  After a While it Becomes Tiresome (07.06.15)” - MALICE_AT_BIRTH

Persona22 #12 Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:59 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 144 battles

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 23 May 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

Remove the s from https://etcectetc...

Oh crap...furry anime...to each their own...carry on

Thanks for the tip! I corrected it.

Yes, it is meant to show the wide varity of interent culture one can find. Some look like fantasy characters, others like comic book charatcers, others like real life famous people, and so on. There will be at least one character that made his avatar based on an old meme.

Edited by Persona22, 23 May 2018 - 11:14 PM.

mnbv_fockewulfe #13 Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:37 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

You make Clan Wars sound amazing.:ohmy:

Given the size limits on clans, I could see the (unnamed) Super Clan over extending itself forcing epic hard 1v15 battles that would be sure to take any clan down.

Edited by mnbv_fockewulfe, 23 May 2018 - 11:38 PM.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Reitousair #14 Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5913 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Hmm... clan wars on that sort of scale, interesting. Well, I'm curious to see how the relations among the clans pans out, it seems to have been set up to be quite interesting and grand, for sure.

Just about can't wait for the next part!

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #15 Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:32 AM

Captain

• 559 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
... damn those Dracs

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

mnbv_fockewulfe #16 Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 24 May 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

... damn those Dracs

I was thinking the same thing.:popcorn:

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Bubba_Zanetti #17 Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1325 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 23 May 2018 - 08:32 PM, said:

... damn those Dracs

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 23 May 2018 - 09:06 PM, said:

I was thinking the same thing.:popcorn:

Represent!!!

“The sad truth is that the one thing around here is that we can always rely on is broken promises” & WarMagic the Scattering- Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo █ If a company can't handle the truth based on pixelated facts then they shouldn't be in this industry to begin with. Or stop overreaching at areas where they obviously lack the resources to make a sucess (WOWP)” - ArrowZ_  As it is, this “upgrade” is totally misdirected and completely ignores all player feedback over the past few years.  How this studio continues on with the parent company is a total mystery to me.” - Bobby_Tables  The only thing that will fix this game is for the developers to right click and hit send to trash.” - xPALEHORSEx  They've been around a good while and seen a lot of flak so they surely must know what they're doing by now.” - Catch21  All wargaming has done in all their games across the board have been stupid and greedy ideas. They are failing as a company so hard. - Veraxu  Maybe Persha should avoid patches with the number 5 in them... - mnbv-fockewulfe  You put the bombsite behind a lock until you get specialist for your bombers? That's just stupid. - comtedumas  claiming victory by fixing your own problems isn't victory, it's low brow chicanery.” - TheMadPizzler  Flying games generally don't have broad appeal, and this one has issues and the company tends to pour gasoline those issues, not fix them” - _Laserguided_   “I go to RU and (rhymes with git) all over dumb Slavs to express my rage.” - Rando CA  If you want to sell someone a car, you let them take it for a test drive, you don't run them over with it.” - Blast_Radius1  My quote + Your signature + Please = Thank You” - Prenzlau  Feelings aren't stats, now shut up and go eat tide pods” - Noreaga  “The player online count was removed October 2017 and we don't have plans to return this number to be displayed. That is the decision of the developers team.” - blindfold  After a While it Becomes Tiresome (07.06.15)” - MALICE_AT_BIRTH

Persona22 #18 Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:34 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 144 battles

I just would like to emphasise that the clans and players represented in this fanfic were not intended to be reflections of any real clan or player, any similarities were completely by coincidence (I really don't want the story to have any real clan or player be "the bad guy" or anything like that, which is why it was supposed to be all fiction)

Believe me, I just want to entertain readers, not cause a flame war or anything like that.

mnbv_fockewulfe #19 Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:34 AM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostPersona22, on 24 May 2018 - 11:34 PM, said:

I just would like to emphasise that the clans and players represented in this fanfic were not intended to be reflections of any real clan or player, any similarities were completely by coincidence (I really don't want the story to have any real clan or player be "the bad guy" or anything like that, which is why it was supposed to be all fiction)

Believe me, I just want to entertain readers, not cause a flame war or anything like that.

Oh it's entertaining alright. 

No one here takes offence. 

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #20 Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:51 AM

Captain

• 559 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 24 May 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

Oh it's entertaining alright. 

No one here takes offence. 

well... the thinly veiled Drac description would need no further extrapolation...

plain as the nose on your face

:trollface:

Also tagged with fanfiction

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users