Need Feedback: Video Length w/ Poll

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Need Feedback: Video Length w/ Poll (10 members have cast votes)

Keep the 3-part split Grind videos?

1. Yes (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. No (1 vote [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Upload entire recording into one 1hour length video?

1. Yes (1 vote [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. No (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

ArrowZ_ #1 Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:43 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

Hey guys, thinking of changing my video length a little bit. Just need your feedback what the general consensus is towards the popular viewer choice when watching gameplay vids or streams. I'm thinking of just uploading the entire recording in one upload instead of my original 3-part split videos. This is related to my grind series videos. I feel like I should just keep it all together in one video at about 1 hour length. Anyway give me some thoughts down below.

For the moment I don't have the bandwidth to start streaming. I'd like to stream this game and other games in mind too (mostly AAA titles). But I'll have to stick to youtubing till they roll out fibre at my area which won't be till next year.

Alternatively just engage in the poll if you don't feel the need to comment. Sorry if the choices are minimal. Will appreciate the feedback. Many thanks to all of you for checking out my stuff! :honoring:

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #2 Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:14 AM

Major

• 1565 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostArrowZ_, on 20 May 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

Hey guys, thinking of changing my video length a little bit. Just need your feedback what the general consensus is towards the popular viewer choice when watching gameplay vids or streams. I'm thinking of just uploading the entire recording in one upload instead of my original 3-part split videos. This is related to my grind series videos. I feel like I should just keep it all together in one video at about 1 hour length. Anyway give me some thoughts down below.

For the moment I don't have the bandwidth to start streaming. I'd like to stream this game and other games in mind too (mostly AAA titles). But I'll have to stick to youtubing till they roll out fibre at my area which won't be till next year.

Alternatively just engage in the poll if you don't feel the need to comment. Sorry if the choices are minimal. Will appreciate the feedback. Many thanks to all of you for checking out my stuff! :honoring:

your vids are some of the best... I like the freewheeling approach...

but...

I love you dude... but I like a video to be under 10 minutes 

I'm unable to focus on something that just interest me for much longer...

I'm a mutant product of a cross between the fast news cycle and AADD... so, yeah... ymmv...

weight my vote value a 50%... hehe

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

trikke #3 Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:16 AM

Major

• 6189 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Q's been asking the same type of questions...   i would watch anything you two put out, so go with whatever is easiest for you to edit and upload

if you tell me that it's identical, then i would prefer shorter 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

ArrowZ_ #4 Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:26 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 21 May 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

your vids are some of the best... I like the freewheeling approach...

but...

I love you dude... but I like a video to be under 10 minutes 

I'm unable to focus on something that just interest me for much longer...

I'm a mutant product of a cross between the fast news cycle and AADD... so, yeah... ymmv...

weight my vote value a 50%... hehe

Thx ABC. Appreciate the great feedback! Unfortunately I haven't found a way to reduce the video length with playing multiple battles in one session since each battle can take up to 10-12min at a time. I know other youtubers have found a way to shorten it to about 10mins if not alittle over which is definitely what most videos reach to nowadays. I'll try something out with that. See what happens.

View Posttrikke, on 21 May 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

Q's been asking the same type of questions...   i would watch anything you two put out, so go with whatever is easiest for you to edit and upload

if you tell me that it's identical, then i would prefer shorter 

Oh I didn't know quesnel was considering a similar format. Has he made a decision? I wonder what he thinks about it. It's quite the choice to make as the viewers are broad around the world for sure. Some of them prefer shorter videos. Some like long one upload-type videos. Some don't mind at all. But I'll give the poll a few more day see what the results are. And I'll move from there. Although it looks like my 3-part video poll is already ahead haha.

LMG #5 Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:14 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles
If you plan on adding long videos, I suggest putting some time stamps on the description so people can easilly jump from one part to the next. Like one per match or something along those lines; think of where you'd end one video and start the next, and let everyone go there without much trouble. Makes long videos a lot easier to digest, and that's coming from someone that actively watches a StarCraft Brood War tournament, with videos of up to 2-3 hours :ohmy:
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

ArrowZ_ #6 Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:40 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

View PostLMG, on 21 May 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

If you plan on adding long videos, I suggest putting some time stamps on the description so people can easilly jump from one part to the next. Like one per match or something along those lines; think of where you'd end one video and start the next, and let everyone go there without much trouble. Makes long videos a lot easier to digest, and that's coming from someone that actively watches a StarCraft Brood War tournament, with videos of up to 2-3 hours :ohmy:

That's a good idea! Thx passing it forward :)

Lambo805 #7 Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• -Community Ace-
  • 1589 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

For me, if a video is over 10 minutes it's kinda hard to find time to watch it. I almost always watch videos on my phone, and that's usually when I'm having a smoke break or sittin on the crapper...

If I see a video posted I look at how long it is and try to watch it when I can watch it all the way through as I imagine most people do. So it's a balancing act when I make videos trying to make them short enough to be manageable but long enough to include everything I want in them.

Like LMG said, if you're posting the long videos, you can add the bookmarks for action parts so that people don't have to sit through 2 minutes of repositioning for a 20 second dogfight to watch another minute of repositioning.

Me: "It's not bragging if you can do it!"

My tombstone: He was bragging.

poppavein #8 Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3233 battles

There is another streamer that talks slow and I run his videos at 2X speed. I don’t have the time or patience to watch a 30 min video. 

ArrowZ_ #9 Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:38 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

View PostLambo805, on 21 May 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

For me, if a video is over 10 minutes it's kinda hard to find time to watch it. I almost always watch videos on my phone, and that's usually when I'm having a smoke break or sittin on the crapper...

If I see a video posted I look at how long it is and try to watch it when I can watch it all the way through as I imagine most people do. So it's a balancing act when I make videos trying to make them short enough to be manageable but long enough to include everything I want in them.

Like LMG said, if you're posting the long videos, you can add the bookmarks for action parts so that people don't have to sit through 2 minutes of repositioning for a 20 second dogfight to watch another minute of repositioning.

View Postpoppavein, on 22 May 2018 - 04:29 AM, said:

There is another streamer that talks slow and I run his videos at 2X speed. I don’t have the time or patience to watch a 30 min video. 

:teethhappy: Guess I'm going to have to start pumping out 10min replay videos lol...  Too bad this game has very bad support in the replay aspect of this game. I'm just worried that with how short a video like ~10mins can be, that I might leave stuff out. It definitely takes practice for sure and my channel has always had a main focus of playthroughs/lets plays. Never really done review, montage, small clips type gameplays. But if that's what poeple want to watch nowadays especially with WOWP then I might as well start doing something in a similar format.

hawkeyededic #10 Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Personally I think you videos are about right, I wouldn't change you time format if I were you.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

CorvusCorvax #11 Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

Major

• 6018 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostArrowZ_, on 22 May 2018 - 02:38 AM, said:

:teethhappy: Guess I'm going to have to start pumping out 10min replay videos lol...  Too bad this game has very bad support in the replay aspect of this game. I'm just worried that with how short a video like ~10mins can be, that I might leave stuff out. It definitely takes practice for sure and my channel has always had a main focus of playthroughs/lets plays. Never really done review, montage, small clips type gameplays. But if that's what poeple want to watch nowadays especially with WOWP then I might as well start doing something in a similar format.

I like a voiceover of the video, describing the thinking during approach.  I admit that some videos have a lot of filler time that could be edited out.  Like, the flight time between action sequences.  Or the load time, or the respawn time - all of that could be edited out.  I like hangar talk about how choices are made for equipment, consumables, and ammo, and for pilot skills choices.  "Here's why I did this stuff, and here are the results."

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #12 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:13 PM

Major

• 1565 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 22 May 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

I like a voiceover of the video, describing the thinking during approach.  I admit that some videos have a lot of filler time that could be edited out.  Like, the flight time between action sequences.  Or the load time, or the respawn time - all of that could be edited out.  I like hangar talk about how choices are made for equipment, consumables, and ammo, and for pilot skills choices.  "Here's why I did this stuff, and here are the results."

agreed Rico, but most of all I love his Aussie accent...

and funnier than shiz when that kewie8 guy and AZ get stupid...

of course... I have a very infantile sense of humour

:child:

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

CorvusCorvax #13 Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

Major

• 6018 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 22 May 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

LOL, spot on.

ArrowZ_ #14 Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:15 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

View Posthawkeyededic, on 22 May 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

Personally I think you videos are about right, I wouldn't change you time format if I were you.

Thx hawkeye for sharing this feedback! I may mix in some replays here and there later on see how that goes that are probably going to be around 10-15min long. I'll experiment around it. Might have to grab that unofficial replay mod too.

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 23 May 2018 - 06:43 AM, said:

:teethhappy: Sadly kiwi has (once again) moved on from WOWP lol... But I'll try to convince him to come next big patch hehe. Also haven't heard much from broslice - he's also moving up in his career lifes!

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 23 May 2018 - 01:05 AM, said:

I agree. Commentary is something that I've found to be the most challenging part about these videos and can understand why alot of people enjoy watching a video with voiceovers over a video that has none. Takes alot of practice for sure and I'm still learning on that part. The editing process is a painful one. I try to cut unnecessary footage during my gameplay session that isn't worth watching and just jump straight into the action. I try to avoid cutting footage during the match just incase someone wants to watch how the whole game unfolds from start to finish. But sometimes like yesterday when I recorded my la-160 video with losing streaks I didn't find much useful footage to use during the battles so I cut a few things in game and tried to make it semi-productive. It's interesting that you mention you don't like watching during the respawn timers & load times. I'll look into cutting some of that out in the near future.

Lambo805 #15 Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:35 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• -Community Ace-
  • 1589 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostArrowZ_, on 21 May 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

Yeah the lack of replays by default makes it...fun. I just record on OBS with my mic muted and then do post-processing in Premiere Pro.  The mic muting is because that way I can still get game sound and nobody hears me swear when a certain someone ruins my day...

Honestly though do what you do. Someone will always watch, it's just a matter of what clientele you want to attract!

Me: "It's not bragging if you can do it!"

My tombstone: He was bragging.

ArrowZ_ #16 Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:57 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

View PostLambo805, on 24 May 2018 - 05:05 AM, said:

Yeah the lack of replays by default makes it...fun. I just record on OBS with my mic muted and then do post-processing in Premiere Pro.  The mic muting is because that way I can still get game sound and nobody hears me swear when a certain someone ruins my day...

Honestly though do what you do. Someone will always watch, it's just a matter of what clientele you want to attract!

Thx lambo. Appreciate the extra input. Looks like I'll be stickin to my current stuff. Might add some replays in the near future as well and play around with that. Thx everyone for the feedback! Much appreciated :honoring:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users