Why this game sucks

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Snprhed #1 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:55 PM

Senior Airman

• 1957 battles

Alright, here are my issues.

First off Im not very good at this game, so anything that unnecessarily tips favor away from me Im keenly aware of. 

1. If there are 2 players in a conquest match and one gets 3 times the points, that person should win....period.  The bots for the one winning should start winning more. 3/4s of my losses I outscored my human opponent.

2. Why do we have zero control over the bots? If I select a target why do the bots just do whatever they want. Being mostly Gaa It would be great to send the bots towards a target across the map that it would take me 3 minutes to fly to.

3. Why does the matchmaker not take players winning percentage into consideration when pairing players for a match? As I said in the beginning, Im not very good at this game, so when I lose, I look up the winning percentages of the players. A significant number of those will have a 55% winning player and a 68% winning player against 2 players below 45% winning average.  It justs seems so easy to pair players in a fair way.

There are other issues, but these 3 are my biggest gripes.

mav214 #2 Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:13 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 346 battles

Sucks?   Nope, disagree.  The bots however ARE very hot and cold as far as being effective.  I guess that's the 'random' part of the battle.

Oooooooo, you fly mostly attack AC, another reason why your W/L is sub 50%.  I could be wrong, but if you don't fly a Fighter/Heavy, or at least a multi-role....you won't have a big enough affect on the outcome.  That's what it seems like anyway.

Edited by mav214, 02 May 2018 - 05:24 PM.

dwmitch1 #3 Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:22 PM

Airman Basic

• 337 battles
  • [MG] MG
Plane ramming! What?  So lame!  If two planes collide in flight, both should be destroyed. I mean, a large bird strike can take down a 747.  It's just dumb.

mav214 #4 Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:26 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 346 battles

View Postdwmitch1, on 02 May 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

Plane ramming! What?  So lame!  If two planes collide in flight, both should be destroyed. I mean, a large bird strike can take down a 747.  It's just dumb.

Agreed, especially since AD Heavies go out of their way to ram you, lol.

Cenotaph #5 Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2348 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Having the biggest standing army in a game of R.I.S.K. means nothing, if you never leave Australia... and, having a ton of points means nothing if you just sit in 1 sector farming bots instead of capping sectors.

Edited by Cenotaph, 02 May 2018 - 05:54 PM.

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

mav214 #6 Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 346 battles

View PostCenotaph, on 02 May 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

Having the biggest standing army in a game of R.I.S.K. means nothing, if you never leave Australia... and, have a ton of points means nothing if you just sit in 1 sector farming bots instead of capping sectors.

LOL.......Australia, affectionately known as 'the bunker'.

Snprhed #7 Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

Senior Airman

• 1957 battles

View PostCenotaph, on 02 May 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

Having the biggest standing army in a game of R.I.S.K. means nothing, if you never leave Australia... and, have a ton of points means nothing if you just sit in 1 sector farming bots instead of capping sectors.

I do look at the number of captured sectors (im GAA typically) as well not just straight points

Cenotaph #8 Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2348 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostSnprhed, on 02 May 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

I do look at the number of captured sectors (im GAA typically) as well not just straight points

Then it becomes a matter of capping the -right- sectors, and knowing when it's better to defend, say, a mine from other GA, instead of running off to another cap.

Yes, sometimes you're going to lose no matter how hard you play, due to bots or other players... but overall, if you're always "outscoring other players by atleast double" you win alot more than you lose.

Edited by Cenotaph, 02 May 2018 - 05:53 PM.

Snprhed #9 Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:04 PM

Senior Airman

• 1957 battles

"if you're always "outscoring other players by atleast double" you win alot more than you lose"

Thats not what I said.

Cenotaph #10 Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2348 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostSnprhed, on 02 May 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

"if you're always "outscoring other players by atleast double" you win alot more than you lose"

Thats not what I said.

View PostSnprhed, on 02 May 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

1. If there are 2 players in a conquest match and one gets 3 times the points, that person should win....period.  -snip-  3/4s of my losses I outscored my human opponent.

I'm not sure what you're sayin' at all... and neither are you, it seems.

Lambo805 #11 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• -Community Ace-
  • 1343 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Bit of an unfair title, especially with well over 1,000 games played. The game doesn't 'suck', it just has some things that need ironed out.

At any rate, score=/=win. I can chase bomber flights all day while the enemy has 3 out of 4 sectors and score 18k points, and I earned the loss. Like others said, it's about how you're scoring the points. If you fly primarily GAAs then you need to focus on prioritizing sectors that matter most. IMO that's Mining Plant>Military Base>Command Center>Airfield>Garrisons. Map awareness and seeing what bases might get flipped before you can get back is helpful too.

It sucks having bots that are a complete RNG roll whether you get window-licking deathroll bots or Eric Hartmann bots, but that adds to the complexity of the game and is fairly accurate to how full-human teams would likely be if we're being fair.

This game has no overt skill-based matchmaking, so it's completely random whether you're going against HVAR or DBG. That's just part of the nuance of WG titles.

Me: "It's not bragging if you can do it!"

My tombstone: He was bragging.

Snprhed #12 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:13 PM

Senior Airman

• 1957 battles

View PostCenotaph, on 02 May 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

I'm not sure what you're sayin' at all... and neither are you, it seems.

Can you understand 2 things? I said that If I outscore my opponent by 3x I should win every time. In GAA you cant just stay in one spot and make points, you have to be moving around. If Im not capturing sectors Im not making many points either.

I then went on to say that in many of my losses I outscore my opponent as well. Those are 2 separate statements.

Snprhed #13 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

Senior Airman

• 1957 battles

" Bit of an unfair title, especially with well over 1,000 games played"

Annoying enough where ive started playing other stuff and not spending a dime here.

clodhoppr #14 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1070 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostSnprhed, on 02 May 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

3. Why does the matchmaker not take players winning percentage into consideration when pairing players for a match? As I said in the beginning, Im not very good at this game, so when I lose, I look up the winning percentages of the players. A significant number of those will have a 55% winning player and a 68% winning player against 2 players below 45% winning average.  It justs seems so easy to pair players in a fair way.

MM does take this into account.

Especially with the latest updates...

LMG #15 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1625 battles

View PostSnprhed, on 02 May 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

Alright, here are my issues.

First off Im not very good at this game, so anything that unnecessarily tips favor away from me Im keenly aware of. 

1. If there are 2 players in a conquest match and one gets 3 times the points, that person should win....period.  The bots for the one winning should start winning more. 3/4s of my losses I outscored my human opponent.

2. Why do we have zero control over the bots? If I select a target why do the bots just do whatever they want. Being mostly Gaa It would be great to send the bots towards a target across the map that it would take me 3 minutes to fly to.

There are other issues, but these 3 are my biggest gripes.

1) Conquest is more strategic than tactic, which means you have to think properly how to win instead of just taking sectors one by one with no particular order or interest. If the guy with the most points won every time, only the fighters that kept farming bots all game long would reign supreme, making ground pounders kinda pointless. A GAA's main job is to capture the right sectors at the right time.

2) While I'd like some control over the bots, having omnipotent control could lead to other issues. Long ago I suggested a "squad-based system", where each player had direct control over 1-2 bots. That way you get help and the afk/disconnected/crashed dood isn't leading  all the bots into the distant horizon.

3) I think there was a skill-based matchmaking that was added pack in 1.x? From what I heard (I left the game just before that patch hit), it made wait times impossibly long, which pretty much nuked the population to today's standards.

Also, I think this isn't the right subforum for this topic

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

GonerNL #16 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 508 battles

View Postclodhoppr, on 02 May 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

MM does take this into account.

Especially with the latest updates...

Is there any proof of that ? Or just a feeling ?

Cause I experience the opposite ...playing against teams with players who have higher WR than any human on my team and sometimes even fly higher tier planes.

MM just throws together a bunch of humans & bots with planes in 2 tiers and that's it. Not even the bots they created themselves are balanced over the 2 teams most of the time.

pyantoryng #17 Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1395 battles

View PostLMG, on 02 May 2018 - 08:22 PM, said:

3) I think there was a skill-based matchmaking that was added pack in 1.x? From what I heard (I left the game just before that patch hit), it made wait times impossibly long, which pretty much nuked the population to today's standards.

That MM was not so much skill as plane type balance...with so few people around filling a team with completely mirrored plane type was nigh impossible, and MM thus procastinate, extending waiting time enormously...I've waited for 34 mins in my 109G once for something like 11v11 match...never again...

I rarely played then...perhaps the occasional IL-20/40 match (where MM could make matches full of them and people making pacts of farming)...

Edited by pyantoryng, 03 May 2018 - 02:32 PM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

clodhoppr #18 Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1070 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostGonerNL, on 03 May 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

Is there any proof of that ? Or just a feeling ?

Cause I experience the opposite ...playing against teams with players who have higher WR than any human on my team and sometimes even fly higher tier planes.

MM just throws together a bunch of humans & bots with planes in 2 tiers and that's it. Not even the bots they created themselves are balanced over the 2 teams most of the time.

Yes...ish..

They alluded to adjustments being made to the match making that may account for overall player XP or skill.. 

PostTraumatic #19 Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1348 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

View Postdwmitch1, on 02 May 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

Back in Closed-Beta the planes would mutually annihilate each other.  Also, there was no plane ghosting.  Plane ghosting is when the plane loses all of its mass after it dies so it cant hurt anything.  Back then when a plane was dead and falling from the sky, if it hit you on the way down, it would kill you.  So you had to avoid the crashing planes just like you would have to in reality.  I believe the ramming should be mutually destructive also and that ghosting planes should be removed again.  Make this battlefield as dangerous as it really would be.

Cardinal604 #20 Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

Airman Basic

• 1559 battles

As far as ramming goes if you want all that realism go play another game, this game is way to arcade like to be have that kind realism lol...

However I think that bots should not be programmed to ram at all and in the case of 2 planes ramming each plane should take damage equal to the remaining HP of the plane that hit it... If that results in both planes dying then so be it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users