Senior Master Sergeant

• 2131 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Akirishin’s build/aircraft’s specifications begin: 1:53

Aircraft comparisons begin at: 13:15

First combat begins at: 22:13

Second combat begins at: 30:02

Final combat begins at: 38:40

Greetings and salutations, this is Akirishin. I hope you enjoy this video as I talk you through my build and strategy for the Tier VII Japanese Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate Fighter. I will also compare this aircraft to other Tier VII fighters using my newly created aircraft comparison chart and, of course, I will feature some PVP so that you can see the Ki-84 in action.

If you are not already a subscriber, I encourage you to hit the subscribe button. Also, if you enjoyed this video your thumbs up let me know you liked it and is greatly appreciated!

Music:

Invincible by Aakash Gandhi

Ferris Wheel by Geographer

Edited by Akirishin, 30 April 2018 - 10:00 PM.

wscarter007 #2 Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3255 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

This my favorite Japanese aircraft out of all the ones I have. :playing:

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1677 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
This video finally got me to cave and start up the Ki line. I don't intend to go beyond the tier 8 though - I can't stand the idea of the Japanese 162s...

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Dru83 #4 Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:20 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1789 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Nice video, I loved the new comparison chart. You did break the 1st commandment of light fighters though, thou shalt not go head to head with a heavy. I just love the ki-84, quick turning, decent altitude, and big cannons make it a terror at tier 7.

Akirishin #5 Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2131 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 01 May 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

This video finally got me to cave and start up the Ki line. I don't intend to go beyond the tier 8 though - I can't stand the idea of the Japanese 162s...

Yeah the 162s are the ugliest things.  Also, how can the pilot see what is on his six with those big X%$* engines right behind him?

Akirishin #6 Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2131 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostDru83, on 01 May 2018 - 01:20 AM, said:

Nice video, I loved the new comparison chart. You did break the 1st commandment of light fighters though, thou shalt not go head to head with a heavy. I just love the ki-84, quick turning, decent altitude, and big cannons make it a terror at tier 7.

Glad you liked the vid and the chart Dru. 

Akirishin #7 Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2131 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postwscarter007, on 01 May 2018 - 01:13 AM, said:

This my favorite Japanese aircraft out of all the ones I have. :playing:

Totally agree.

SpiritFoxMY #8 Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1677 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostAkirishin, on 01 May 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

Yeah the 162s are the ugliest things.  Also, how can the pilot see what is on his six with those big X%$* engines right behind him?

Actually, I like the look of the He-162... but it feels almost blasphemous to have the 162 in the Japanese tech tree instead of some other fighter - I'm ok with it being a premium, but as a tech tree fighter? And nowhere in the German tech tree? Blasphemy.

Also, the grog in me feels the need to point out that the last two museum photos at 0:52 and 0:57 are actually of the -84's little brother, the Ki-43. You can see the difference in the shape of the vertical stabilizer and the positioning of the radio antennae. 

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Akirishin #9 Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2131 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 01 May 2018 - 07:03 AM, said:

Actually, I like the look of the He-162... but it feels almost blasphemous to have the 162 in the Japanese tech tree instead of some other fighter - I'm ok with it being a premium, but as a tech tree fighter? And nowhere in the German tech tree? Blasphemy.

Also, the grog in me feels the need to point out that the last two museum photos at 0:52 and 0:57 are actually of the -84's little brother, the Ki-43. You can see the difference in the shape of the vertical stabilizer and the positioning of the radio antennae. 

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 01 May 2018 - 07:03 AM, said:

I guess my efforts to paint over the serial numbers didn't work.  Darn smart people.  Darn it. :)

GonerNL #10 Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 508 battles

- I can't stand the idea of the Japanese 162s...

Yeah, I would have liked to have had it as Heinkel He-162 Volksjäger (which actually did see some action), but it still is a nice plane. Very maneuverable, but the 30mm's take a bit of getting used to.

I also liked the Ki-84 a lot, but for some reason I never did really well in the Ki-94-II.

Edited by GonerNL, 01 May 2018 - 12:52 PM.

Mojoe_Bailey #11 Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1304 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

Ki-84? I bought the plane and upgraded it fully. My opinion? Too hit and miss. That's right. I have had 50% great games in it and the rest, which were against seasoned players who knew the "curse" of the Ki-84, were miserable failures. I wanted to like this plane. I still have it in my hanger, just because it looks cute. Those 30s have God-awful dispersion and hardly hit anything at max range, which is so important at tier 7 where you get these big maps and fast planes that can boost away. There is just so much distance between planes at tier 7. Tier 8 only gets worse, so imagine being up-tiered in Ki-84 and you can't hit a damn thing with those 30mm guns, which fire 15 degrees left one second and 15 degrees right the next, and finally 3 degrees kinda-sorta-straight to actually hit something. The guns are hilarious and feel clunky and awkward to use!

Ki-84 airframe, although cool looking, is feeble and worse than A7M Repu's (from the Zero line!). That makes Ki-84 the most paper-frail tier 7 plane, and to make matters worse it is a huge target. The thing is a balloon of a fighter plane, rivaling the Jug in size. Agility is great, but not enough to save such a big target, which is easily burst down within a second by almost any weapon type. 

Ki-84 just doesn't have the durability or accuracy to hang in there and fight the good fight. It racks up HUGE numbers sometimes, but that is only when rookie human players ignore it and let it run a rampage at an airfield for too long. Although its stats are better on paper than the Spitfire IX, Spitfire IX eats this plane for breakfast in a head-on pass or a professional dogfight. Those accurate, rangy, powerful 20mm late-WWII Hispanos shoot the Ki-84 down into Hades, where it burns for eternity for being such a bad plane.

Ki-84 has slightly better airspeed and altitude performance than the Spitfire IX, but you will soon find out that this does not really matter because of the Spitfire's superior acceleration and boost, as well as overall engine performance. The Ki-84 has a weak 6 second boost in which it does not accelerate much. This of course means that Ki-84 cannot close the distance to hit with those clunky 30s. It fails to chase heavies or anything slightly fast. Spitfire outperforms it at high altitude battles, despite having a lower ceiling, simply because it has a better boost that comes back quickly, better energy retention, and it can climb better because the boost is longer. Turn time is the same between the two rivals. And those 20mm guns on the Spitfire IX...they usually secure the kill, even at great distance. 

So yea! Ki-84 is a great paper plane...on paper and in the real game it is MADE of paper. You can easily get a super high score in it, IF nobody knows your plane or attempts to counter it. Basically, if you are up against cowards who run a lot and have never read up on the big, scary looking Ki-84 (like I said, a huge balloon of a plane), you will have much fun. The second a Spitfire player with a 58% or higher win rate enters the battle, forget about scoring over 20,000 combat points. You will score no higher than 13,000 and you will have to hang on for dear life. Try sneak attacks. Those might work. Sneak up behind everyone and stay on their tails. If someone has a tough rear gunner, 12.7mm or more for this plane, break off the attack! Oh that's right. There are no turrets at tier 7 that are less than 12.7mm in shell size. You are screwed in Ki-84 against any rear gunner at tier 7. 

Peace out! 

YagabodooN #12 Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:10 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1701 battles

View PostMojoe_Bailey, on 01 May 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

Ki-84 just doesn't have the durability or accuracy to hang in there and fight the good fight. It racks up HUGE numbers sometimes, but that is only when rookie human players ignore it and let it run a rampage at an airfield for too long. Although its stats are better on paper than the Spitfire IX, Spitfire IX eats this plane for breakfast in a head-on pass or a professional dogfight. Those accurate, rangy, powerful 20mm late-WWII Hispanos shoot the Ki-84 down into Hades, where it burns for eternity for being such a bad plane.

Ki-84 has slightly better airspeed and altitude performance than the Spitfire IX, but you will soon find out that this does not really matter because of the Spitfire's superior acceleration and boost, as well as overall engine performance. The Ki-84 has a weak 6 second boost in which it does not accelerate much. This of course means that Ki-84 cannot close the distance to hit with those clunky 30s. It fails to chase heavies or anything slightly fast. Spitfire outperforms it at high altitude battles, despite having a lower ceiling, simply because it has a better boost that comes back quickly, better energy retention, and it can climb better because the boost is longer. Turn time is the same between the two rivals. And those 20mm guns on the Spitfire IX...they usually secure the kill, even at great distance. 

I don't know what world your living in, but Frank has nearly 300 more horsepower and a slightly better rate of climb than the Spit.  Did I mention it also rolls better and has a slightly higher optimum airspeed?  

Run your Frankie like this> Engine Tuning, Aircraft Polish, Improved Gunsight ------ Engine guru 1 and 2, Aero expert, get marksman next if you have the points.  aannnnndddd CONGRATS!

You now have a fighter that can keep up with nearly anything and crunch anything with 500 hp or less. 

trikke #13 Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1729 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostMojoe_Bailey, on 01 May 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

You will score no higher than 13,000 and you will have to hang on for dear life. 

i'll take a 13,000 battle any day, and i always hang on for dear life, so...  win/win
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Akirishin #14 Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2131 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Posttrikke, on 04 May 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

i'll take a 13,000 battle any day, and i always hang on for dear life, so...  win/win

Lol this all the way ^

trikke #15 Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1729 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

because of your video, dammit!     because you showed off this fragile lotus blossom so well, i vowed to grind up to it

darn you, clan brother!

Akirishin #16 Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2131 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Posttrikke, on 16 May 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

because of your video, dammit!     because you showed off this fragile lotus blossom so well, i vowed to grind up to it

darn you, clan brother!

lol I’m sure you will do it justice once you get it.  I’ve made this plane one of my go to’s.  It’s worth the grind.  Enjoy those cannons clan brother!

Edited by Akirishin, 17 May 2018 - 02:40 PM.

trikke #17 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1729 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostAkirishin, on 17 May 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

lol I’m sure you will do it justice once you get it. 

don't bet on that, btw....  lol

still stuck on the paper-soaked-in-kerosene T5 Hayabusa

was an everyday fav in WT, but here... it can't fight it's way out of a grocery sack, with a slit already cut in the side

trikke #18 Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1729 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

finally researched and bought all the upgrades, then flew it for the first time just yesterday...   did well in the first battle, so i'm very glad that i pushed on through to the Frank

it's really fast for a japanese LF, punches huge holes in stuff, and i didn't lose any maneuverability from the Hien, like sometimes happens when moving up a tier

looks very Jug-like to my eyes, but maybe that's why it seems to be such a smooth gun platform 

i'm considering moving backwards to four 20mms, because the two 30s heat up so fast...   has anyone else done this?

CorvusCorvax #19 Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1112 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostYagabodooN, on 01 May 2018 - 10:10 PM, said:

I don't know what world your living in, but Frank has nearly 300 more horsepower and a slightly better rate of climb than the Spit.  Did I mention it also rolls better and has a slightly higher optimum airspeed?  

Run your Frankie like this> Engine Tuning, Aircraft Polish, Improved Gunsight ------ Engine guru 1 and 2, Aero expert, get marksman next if you have the points.  aannnnndddd CONGRATS!

You now have a fighter that can keep up with nearly anything and crunch anything with 500 hp or less. 

I agree with M_B's assessment of this aircraft.  I have found that they are a tasty meal for my Yak-3, and were a one-pass snack for my Bf-109Z.  I am interested in the line so I can fly the Salamander at T8, but after having flown one gasoline and tissue paper line (Yak), I am not excited to grind another.  But what the heck - that's what this game is about, right?  ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users