How to fix the current WOWP Meta

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Mojoe_Bailey #1 Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:52 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1304 battles

People have complained about a lot of stuff in the current meta, in which turn fighters rule. I have some solutions and hope that the developers will consider implementing at least some them. I will list my solutions in order of most important to least important. 

1. Buff energy retention and climb mechanics. In other words, bring some boom and zoom back by making it easier for an energy fighter plane with tons of dive speed to climb halfway back to former altitude or get away without using its boost or losing too much speed. It would then boost the rest of the way, saving half the boost. Then it would try for another pass. However, if it turned into the fight it would still lose all its advantage. This would balance out the current mechanics that always favor turn fighters. Bring boom and zoom mechanics back while NOT nerfing the turning meta. This would make both "boom and zoom" and "turn and burn" equally powerful in 2.0. We would enjoy that greatly!

2. Buff machine gun DPS by 10% and increase the firing range by 10%. I cannot stress this enough. Machine guns were lighter armament in WWII, but they were never as ineffective in real life as they are in 2.0. I've heard plenty of interviews in which American pilots describe downing German aircraft with only 4 second machine gun bursts. Only 4 seconds! That's right. It did not historically take 15 seconds to kill something with machine guns like it does in 2.0. The old 99 year old American pilots from the Mustang, Lightning, and Jug era are saying 4 second burst blew the engine out, knocked the plane out of the sky, yada yada...burning, bailing pilot....and although not as powerful as a 20mm it was still more lead on target than 20 mm single shots, had a way of getting into engines and blowing them out, and shouldn't be such a tickle gun in the WOWP meta. Machine guns actually ruined planes in WWII. Ruined them beyond repair! It was harder to repair MG damage because it wasn't in just one spot, like with cannons. You had little holes in every piece of equipment. It was devastating. I think a small 10% boost is all we need to fix this 2.0 issue along with 10% more range to make things a little more fair in head ons. 

3. Give the short ranged 30-40mm guns 10% more range. The 37s on the XP-58 and the 30s on 109 Z and such planes suck and there's no reason why they should have machine gun range when those shells look like they were fired from a battleship's cannon. They already have such a low rate of fire anyway. They fire inaccurately and miss a lot so this range buff should not be a huge issue. 

Let me know what you think. Please consider this stuff. It would fix everything wrong with WOWP. 

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2174 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

1. Neutral on this, not because I'm on the fence about BnZ but more that I'm not sure it would make much difference in the current meta; I think the biggest weakness of BnZ currently is how long it takes to "reset" for another pass. Conquest mode rewards killing multiple enemies in quick succession and that's something BnZs struggle at regardless of how energy-efficient they are.

2.  Agreed on the buff. Historicity aside (this is an Arcade game after all; realism isn't particularly high on any lists here), the MGs could do with at least a range buff. I'm less annoyed at the DPS - I can make that work, but range is a constant frustration of just not QUITE being able to start putting shots into someone on a teammates' tail.

3. I think the 30mms just need a slight dispersion buff. The problem is less RoF than having your target essentially fly in between your shots or shots simply sparking but not registering damage - its ok on rapid fire weapons but to have zero damage hits on one of these big sluggers is infuriating

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 30 April 2018 - 01:25 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Mojoe_Bailey #3 Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:35 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1304 battles

I agree with you on MG range and 30mm dispersion buff, also 37s need more love. Obviously not everyone is gonna feel the same way about this, but at least we got this conversation started and can give the developers something to shoot for. I would like to hear more opinions from other players on these topics. 

And about the energy retention and boom and zoom idea I had (#1)...I think it is important because, even though it might not cap as fast, it allows energy fighter players to survive more and gives them a chance to come back and try again. They could at least kill on the second or third pass instead of being a sitting duck and completely useless after a failed boom and zoom...failed because of bad game mechanics, not because they were bad boom and zoomers. 

Edited by Mojoe_Bailey, 30 April 2018 - 02:40 AM.

Kiwiav8r #4 Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:52 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 603 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

Unfortunately, the old posts when WoWP 1.0 came out are gone, because back then BnZ was ludicrously OP.  The cannons used to crit a lot more back then, so it was entirely possible (back when there was a 2 tier split) to be flying along in your P-40 minding your own business only to have your tail blown off by an Me-109Z you never saw because the spotting mechanics weren't working properly either.

My point is, WG are still changing the game mechanics around trying to find that sweet spot where the game is reasonably balanced no matter what you fly or guns you have.  Looks like its TnB's day in the sun.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

LMG #5 Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1668 battles
I've noticed that a few of the BnZ light fighters turn a lot better than people give them credit. In particular, at tier VI all "BnZ" in-line light fighters turn as well as the Tornado, and most are as fast or faster on level flight
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #6 Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2174 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostLMG, on 30 April 2018 - 06:10 AM, said:

I've noticed that a few of the BnZ light fighters turn a lot better than people give them credit. In particular, at tier VI all "BnZ" in-line light fighters turn as well as the Tornado, and most are as fast or faster on level flight

Personally I don't think there are any "pure" BnZ lights at the low and mid tiers - they are either turners or "hybrids". Only when you get up to tier 8 and above do you start seeing pure BnZ lights in the form of the Ta/Fw line. 

IMO at any rate. Regardless, as you said, even "BnZ" lights can be surprisingly nimble as a Spitfire IX found out this weekend trying to turn against my P-51D

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Reitousair #7 Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5923 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

1. Buffing BnZ... PTSD from German HF spam in 1.0 intensifies  from what I've seen to be honest, BnZ is still effective at killing planes, however it's not as efficient as TnB is contributing to capture points neither offensively nor defensive. The main issue people have is boost management, people will use most of their boost going into the pass, and then try to come out with nothing left. It's punishing but I think it's fine personally, knowing how to manage your resources is quite a useful thing to know.

2. MG's need a range buff, but they do not need a DPS buff, whatsoever. You'd be amazed how fast the FJ-1 can kill things once you get a good angle on somebody, they shred everything to bits in seconds. To be honest I'm not even sure if a range buff is necessary as much as it is just make the bullets more accurate at your maximum "effective" range. Mid-tier MG's can also do some work but, again, they need to be more accurate at the farthest reaches of their effective range.

3. Short-ranged 30/40mm cannons do not need a range buff, except maybe give a variant of Mk.108's for the Me 262 that has a bit more range because 616 isn't enough for something flying at 900KPH. I've found the short-range guns to be absolutely devastating with proper application, the main issues are again, with the softer stats of the guns. The RoF can be awkward, sure, and the range makes them shotguns which is fine (unless it's on a really fast aircraft;) the main issue is consistency with the guns, their aim-assistance is all sorts of wild as you can go from registering 0 shots to suddenly deleting people instantly in an XP-58.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

pyantoryng #8 Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:17 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1494 battles
Unnerf light fighter's boost duration...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

mnbv_fockewulfe #9 Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:03 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

After reading an old thread for CBT days and realizing next to none of the recommendations to fixing the flight model were implemented, I think I've found a reason to quit. 

1. Uncompress all space  

2. Fix turn radius vs velocity curves

3. Make stalling more realistic

4. Remove the ground sucking effect

5. Fix rudder control and increase its effectiveness 

6. Fix climb rate so a shallower climb at a high speed will climb faster than pure vertical climb just above stall

7. Increase max alt of all planes and return performance bands and penalties at low alt.

8. Make a distinction between max turn rate and instantaneous turn rate

9. Decrease climb rate and greatly increase dive rate

10. Increase engine power at 100% throttle, increase duration of boost for LF, decrease acceleration/power from boost, and increase the effectiveness of cutting the throttle to 0%

11. Decrease energy retention in turns (I should not hover just above stall with the stick in my gut, the throttle at zero, and the flaps/brakes deployed)

12. Decrease the rate of fire for MGs and 20mms, increase rate of fire for 30mms, get rid of dispersion, and decrease muzzle velocities for all weapons

13. Make the game more realistic...realisti...realist...realis...reali...real...rea...reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (that last one's for you Reitou)

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users