Brit Heavy Builds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

YagabodooN #1 Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:38 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1701 battles

So with the 3x weekend I decided to start the Brit heavy line to eventually get the Catfish and complete my T8 heavy collection.  I just reached the point where I became an air defense aircraft (if you know what I mean) and became torn as to what build I should use for the line in general.

How viable would you guys say a no bombs or rockets flat out speed build would be? 

Another option I'm considering would be to accept being the slowest heavy and run an accuracy/ demo expert build to maximize the British damage advantage and one pass fighter killing potential, but I'm not as sure about this one.  If there is anyone who has Brit heavy experience, my ears are open. 

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1677 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I think a ground attack/massive alpha build is the way to go with the Brits. I only made it to the Mosquito and stalled out but while I was playing them, it was accuracy and demolition expert. No bombs/straight speed might work for the Mozzie and Hornet, but you'd be shortchanging the Beaufighter trying to play it that way.

Just note that their tier 10 heavy doesn't benefit from demolition expert as it has no ordnance.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

hoom #3 Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3498 battles

Oh good timing :)

I spent a long time running Beaufighter as a semi-GA with full bomb/rocket/DE loadout, didn't push on because I enjoyed it & because I'd not particularly enjoyed the P-38F/J.

Then I've been running Beaufighter clean speed/anti-air recently, reinvigorated my experience with that plane & enough time has passed since I Elited & sold P-38J so I recently bought Mosquito.

I'm not having a generally great time with it though, I'm definitely not good at BnZ & have been intending to post a thread seeking help :(

Initially I was running it clean, speed/anti-air style like I've been running Beaufighter but there is a lot of stuff in T6 that Mozzie can't outrun, has no chance of out-turning & it has no rear gunner to pick off the odd low hp chaser, has been getting really frustrating :angry:

I switched to running the bombs since they seem to have minimal performance impact being internal (climb rate penalty from the weight?), not going for the rockets since they definitely have a speed impact.

Bombs have helped me tip caps that had been frustratingly left hanging so I do think its an improvement but I'm still having problems from getting chased down & whacked. (even had a battle yesterday where I got chased full width of the map by 3 players, did keep them out of range most of the way but couldn't get far enough clear to turn safely before the map border, did take out one when forced to turn but other one got me)

I'm still losing lots & even when I win its with scores far lower than I would expect out of a T6 Light.

Very interested to know what has been working for others:popcorn:

Edited by hoom, 29 April 2018 - 07:59 AM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

SpiritFoxMY #4 Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1677 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Posthoom, on 29 April 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

Very interested to know what has been working for others:popcorn:

Dumb luck and ignorance. That pretty much sums up my experience with the Mosquito. I somehow seem to be able to do alright in the thing despite it being profoundly mediocre. 

I fly it like a GAA - loaded with bombs and rockets - and use it to help flip caps, hunt ground attackers and swat the occasional multirole and light fighter that gets in my face. I never travel independently of the lemming train so that means there's always someone else in the neighborhood who can help shoot people off my tail. And the Mozzie does ok in a straight line so I just do the Focke Wulf thing and wings level it out of dodge if I get pounced on. 

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Mojoe_Bailey #5 Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1304 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
Heavies aren't what they used to be. Trouble is you can't outrun anything anymore.

Dru83 #6 Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1789 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
The penalties for loading ordnance are very small, so I don't really see any reason to not pack rockets and bombs. I'd lose the bombs if anything simply because rockets can be fired from higher up and farther away and are easier to use against aircraft. I don't play it like a GA though, because it's not. The moment you get low and bleed off airspeed, you're done. You've got to stay high and fast. I like to hold onto my rockets and bombs until a cap is half way or two thirds of the way to being captured, then quickly destroy a couple ground targets to get the cap. I like to focus on taking out the planes at my altitude and then work my way down. The key is to not turn until you're on the edge of or out or the cap's airspace. I'm mostly focusing skills and equipment towards speed at the moment. The Beaufighter works well with accuracy/ordnance skills and equipment, but the Mossie and Hornet are better focused on speed I think. Planes like this are all about managing your energy, which includes your speed, altitude, and your boost. It just takes a lot of patience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users