Adapting Unbalanced Maps (For High-Tier)

GAs Maps Tactics Strategies Discussion

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Oliviako #1 Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:11 AM

Senior Airman

• 3764 battles

These are some advisable tutorials for Unbalanced Maps in this game for high-tier players. They may be not right all the time and please do not blindly believe them.

Albion:

Balance of Forces:

An unbalanced map with 3 sectors only, a plant for blue and a command center for red.

Red team Bombing Line is extremely short in this map, If red bomber appears at when blue plant is captured, the plant will have not enough time to add 80 influence point to the blue team. One or some reliable Interceptor are needed for blue team.

Do not ignore the garrison at the corner of the map, especially for blue team. As this is a 3 sectors map, the maximum influence points is only 400, if all positions are captured by red team, blue team will be unable to launch counterattacks. And, in fact, don't forget that garrison provide the same influence overtime compare to other sectors.

These are suitable for the similar map -- "Wings of War".

Iron Will:

Obviously, this is a large unbalanced map. Each of the teams have got their own strong point and garrison, and there is an airbase placed on the center of the battle field.

For blue team, after the plant is captured, try to take the airbase as soon as possible. Once the airbase is taken, intercepting bombers will be a easy job.

For red team, if bombers are not aiming the plant, it will be necessary to dispatch attack aircraft to try to take the plant. In addition, a taken airbase will provide bonus safety for the bombers.

Northern Bridgehead:

Valhalla:

In fact, this map is not considered as an unbalance map, but sometimes the balance of game may crash through the differences between Military Base and Command Center.

In the map "Valhalla", the military base will not launch rockets onto the command center, but the command center can call bombers to take all sectors which are captured by the enemy. If you have a good estimate that can let bombers to go to the enemy military base, it will provide a significant advantage to the battle. If not, take the military base first, and the garrison will be taken by the rockets automatically.

Road to Rome:

Breakthrough:

This unbalanced map is quite similar to "Balance of Forces", but these garrisons are individual and easy to be take by the enemy.

For blue team, abandon any hesitation, take these two garrison as soon as possible. Then do attack with full force toward the airbase. Do not let the enemy to reach their targets. If garrisons and airbase are all taken, the enemy will fell headache.

For red team, split the force to attack the command center and the airbase separately. Take the airbase before blue team reacts. If the command center and the airbase are captured, the rest of the battle will be some relaxed defenses.

Trap:

This map seems nothing odd, but it is still unbalanced due to the difference of positions of command centers and garrisons.

For blue team, capturing the command center and the plant in order will lead the battle, but prepare for the counterattack from the bottom of the map -- the garrison over there is dangerous because the enemy command center is too close. The victory of this fight will provide safety for the bomber.

For red team, it will be advisable to capture the garrison first. It may attract enemy bombers away. After the command center is captured, prepare for the fierce fighting at the gap of the command center and the enemy garrison, or the unused airbase, because these two sectors are too close. The victory of this fight will provide safety for the bombers.

These are based on "The Strength of both side are also Balanced". 

Thank you for reading.

Oliviako - Aircraft D

27 Apr 2018

Reitousair #2 Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:42 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 13072 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Mmm, not a half bad guide though it might be good to define who's red and blue here a bit more clearly as blue team will always be your allies no matter what side of the map you're on.

For those reading through this is what I have gathered.

Still, I see a lot of people just completely give up on asymmetrical maps, while I hate them myself and expect to lose when I'm on certain sides, giving it your all might just be able to tip the scales in your favor, hopefully this will help people be able to handle asymmetrical maps. Unfortunately a lot of these strategies either require a lot of luck to perform or a flightmate as a single person can't do everything on most of these maps, but just knowing what's possible can help.

Also, welcome to the forums Ako! 

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Premium plane reviews can be found here. Special project equipment spreadsheet can be found here.

Deathnail #3 Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:53 AM

Senior Airman

• 16443 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Nice write up.

Agree with Reit, I never give up. Unfortunately though some of the maps are extremely difficult to win without a human GA on your side if you're given the wrong side of the map. I think these asymmetrical maps may test better if you have 5 humans on each team, but they certainly don't play that well when there are only one or two humans per team. 

LMG #4 Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:22 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View PostDeathnail, on 26 April 2018 - 11:53 PM, said:

Nice write up.

Agree with Reit, I never give up. Unfortunately though some of the maps are extremely difficult to win without a human GA on your side if you're given the wrong side of the map. I think these asymmetrical maps may test better if you have 5 humans on each team, but they certainly don't play that well when there are only one or two humans per team. 

Mining Facility vs CC is particularly difficult for player GAAs on the Mining Facility side if the fighters don't engage the Bombers in the short time they have and capture another sector to keep the other side from gaining superiority, all while the GAAs slowly make their way to the CC. More often than not I never make it to the CC on time and either have to deal with a few seconds of superiority or ditch the CC to recapture the Mining Facility. I really dislike this uneven combination of sectors

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Reitousair #5 Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:47 AM

• 13072 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostLMG, on 26 April 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

Mining Facility vs CC is particularly difficult for player GAAs on the Mining Facility side if the fighters don't engage the Bombers in the short time they have and capture another sector to keep the other side from gaining superiority, all while the GAAs slowly make their way to the CC. More often than not I never make it to the CC on time and either have to deal with a few seconds of superiority or ditch the CC to recapture the Mining Facility. I really dislike this uneven combination of sectors

Oh man Albion - Trump Card. A lot of my mates picked up on what I like to call it, "The worst map ever, but multiplied by two." It's Plateau - Shockwave Collision all over again. A command center vs. a mining plant, except now there's two of them and the garrison is removed, still has the airfield halfway in the map though. No matter what you do, you pretty much have to hope the enemy team is incompetent to win if you get the southern plant-side spawn simply because it's flatout impossible to defend both mining plants against 10 bombers every 2 minutes or so while being attacked by the enemy team and on top of all of that pile having to defend against GA and bombers. On that map I pretty much just grit my teeth and go full tryhard if I end up with the mining plants. Not even a flight of a GA and HF on the plant side stand a good chance at winning if the enemy players know their stuff.

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

Premium plane reviews can be found here. Special project equipment spreadsheet can be found here.

SpiritFoxMY #6 Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:50 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5570 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I try my best to hold off bomber flights which is why I despised the Freidrich and the I-210: both of which can't deal with the bombers solo.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

ComradeZ #7 Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:31 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4045 battles
Thing about playing GA is that the bots are a distraction for the enemy. You really need a human for air cover. Rarely happens though.

LMG #8 Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:35 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View PostComradeZ, on 27 April 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

Thing about playing GA is that the bots are a distraction for the enemy. You really need a human for air cover. Rarely happens though.

We're Ground Pounders, it's an occupational hazard

SpiritFoxMY #9 Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:14 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5570 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostLMG, on 27 April 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

We're Ground Pounders, it's an occupational hazard

It's a bit of a cost - benefit analysis; supporting our Ground Pounders means we aren't intercepting bomber flights or enemy ground pounders threatening other caps so unless those are already well taken care of, we need to weigh supporting you guys or haring off to shore up some other flank

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Reitousair #10 Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:00 PM

• 13072 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostComradeZ, on 26 April 2018 - 11:31 PM, said:

Who needs to worry about air cover when people are willing to go head-on with you? :trollface:

Still, on asymmetrical maps you pretty much need a GA on the side that frequently loses, and the problem comes you also need a fighter or heavy fighter quite frequently to run around and take capture points or to defend capture points from all sorts of things. So it's quite a common occurrence that fighter cover simply isn't possible, even in a flight because there's so much work that needs to be done. Of course in the flights I work with we do try and provide cover for each other but for the most part you have to take care of yourself and fulfill your primary job before doing things like providing cover for each other.

Edited by Reitousair, 27 April 2018 - 08:03 PM.

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

SonicPariah #11 Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 427 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX
Thanks for the in-depth analysis and feedback about maps!

trikke #12 Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:48 AM

Captain

• 4641 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

omg, it's Oliviako!!!      i'm a big fan... no, a huge fan!

ty so much for sharing your thoughts, because your thoughts are worth more than the next one hundred mere mortal pilots

i'm printing your very first post, and i'm rereading it before each session 

(do you still need me to pick up your dry cleaning tomorrow?)

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

LMG #13 Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:51 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Posttrikke, on 29 April 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

omg, it's Oliviako!!!      i'm a big fan... no, a huge fan!

ty so much for sharing your thoughts, because your thoughts are worth more than the next one hundred mere mortal pilots

i'm printing your very first post, and i'm rereading it before each session 

(do you still need me to pick up your dry cleaning tomorrow?)

Oh, I just noticed. Don't see her around that often

CorvusCorvax #14 Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

Major

• 4875 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

This guide should be required reading.  Several times these last few days I've tried to get team mates to follow me to sectors that are the most important on an unbalanced map, and they decide to go off and take a garrison.

And, of course, we lose.  If you don't pay attention to taking and holding the most important sectors, the humans on the red team almost certainly will.  A big furball out over uncontested ground will not benefit the team, unless somehow you can knock them down after the squall line hits.  But the wins I have seen from eliminating all enemy aircraft while still being on the losing side of the capture timer are few.

Reitousair #15 Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:13 PM

• 13072 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 30 April 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

This guide should be required reading.  Several times these last few days I've tried to get team mates to follow me to sectors that are the most important on an unbalanced map, and they decide to go off and take a garrison.

And, of course, we lose.  If you don't pay attention to taking and holding the most important sectors, the humans on the red team almost certainly will.  A big furball out over uncontested ground will not benefit the team, unless somehow you can knock them down after the squall line hits.  But the wins I have seen from eliminating all enemy aircraft while still being on the losing side of the capture timer are few.

On some asymmetrical maps actually, it can be helpful to have some people attack non-important points. The main issue with this is that both parties need to be good at flipping the point quickly in order for it to be of any benefit. For example I happened to stumble into a match with one of my friends on the losing side of an asymmetrical map. With our combined efforts mainly down to how well we could flip the caps available, we managed to win by a massive margin because the enemy wasn't able to keep up or defend themselves against us.

As Ako said, the strategies won't always apply. They're extremely helpful to know but it's possible that some "bad" strategies can be made into excellent strategies if the cards are dealt correctly.

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

LMG #16 Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:21 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View PostReitousair, on 30 April 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

On some asymmetrical maps actually, it can be helpful to have some people attack non-important points. The main issue with this is that both parties need to be good at flipping the point quickly in order for it to be of any benefit. For example I happened to stumble into a match with one of my friends on the losing side of an asymmetrical map. With our combined efforts mainly down to how well we could flip the caps available, we managed to win by a massive margin because the enemy wasn't able to keep up or defend themselves against us.

As Ako said, the strategies won't always apply. They're extremely helpful to know but it's possible that some "bad" strategies can be made into excellent strategies if the cards are dealt correctly.

I once won against a team that camped a central Military Base by out-capping the base until my team got the hang of the situation. I was lucky everything else was a Garrison and I think I had the Me 329

Also tagged with GAs, Maps, Tactics, Strategies, Discussion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users