A6M3 (exp) outturned by Spitfire I? (Are manual flaps to blame?)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Mojoe_Bailey #1 Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:40 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1304 battles

I have set my flaps to "F" and disabled "Automatic Flaps" in advanced settings, which means that when I need to turn tight or slow down behind something, I press the F button, rather than relying on "S" to idle the engine. When I turn rapidly to stay on a Spitfire's tail, if I don't press F I will not make a tight turn. 

Anyways, I got into a turn fight with a Spitfire I recently in my A6M3 (exp), which has a slightly better turn time and better stall speed than the Spitfire I, so I should have won this turn fight. However, the manual flaps setting seemed to be pretty defective and I could not maintain a usable turn speed and ended up actually turning way too slowly while pressing "F" for manual flaps. The Spitfire I got on my tail eventually and killed me. 

I was astonished because back when I used automatic flaps and S to decrease speed, I never had this problem and I ALWAYS dominated the Spitfire I in a turn fight. I just checked the two planes' stats, fully upgraded, and the Spit is a fraction of a second slower than this Zero, which means that in my turn fight I should have been gaining on my opponent every 360 degrees. We completed 4 full circles. I should have won this match up easily. 

Should I switch back to automatic flaps? Is there any real advantage having manual flaps? What went wrong here?

nwlxn12 #2 Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1408 battles
Can you confirm if it was a Spitfire 1 or Spitfire 1a?

Mojoe_Bailey #3 Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:01 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1304 battles
It might have been Spitfire 1a. I could be mistaken about which one it was. Would that make a big difference?

Mojoe_Bailey #4 Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1304 battles
I just looked up the Spitfire Mk Ia and it clearly has a slower turn time than the Zero experimental. I'm still scratching my head over this loss. 

nwlxn12 #5 Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1408 battles

Yes, the special Spitfire 1a and the pilot that was obtained from Operation Dynamo back in July 2017 https://worldofwarplanes.com/news/dynamic-missions/ is the best tier 5 turning plane, if it isn't the best at the start of the match, it can become the best once the plane's health drops below a certain percentage.

Edit:  The plane might not be special, but the pilot skills are what makes the plane better in this case.

Edited by nwlxn12, 26 April 2018 - 08:14 PM.

Perco_lator #6 Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11 battles

Some reasons why you might have lost a turn fight

- Pilot skills

- Player skill

- Plane equipment

- Maneuverability consumable

"Come find me in the game, tough guy.  We'll see who knows stuff."

LMG #7 Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1668 battles
There's a consumable that momentarily improves aircraft turning. Maybe they had one available at the moment?
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Mojoe_Bailey #8 Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:24 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1304 battles
Ok. Thanks. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess I'll have to compensate by going for more maneuverability skills on my pilot. I also could have been much more accurate with my guns. I'll cripple him early next time I see him in that plane. 

pyantoryng #9 Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:12 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1494 battles

Many possibilities...I've made my F2A turn almost as good as a plain Spitfire I with the maneuver increase consumable and managed to drop him before I get downed, and no, I don't use any other maneuverability enhancers.

...likely any combinations of what 'Lator said.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

CruzANDBruz #10 Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6595 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Since the Spitfires have a much greater altitude capability, I have to wonder at what altitude you had this encounter. I believe the airspeed and maneuverability stats provided for these airplanes assume you're at or near the airplanes optimum performance altitude too. Do they not?

Reitousair #11 Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5923 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostCruzANDBruz, on 27 April 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

Since the Spitfires have a much greater altitude capability, I have to wonder at what altitude you had this encounter. I believe the airspeed and maneuverability stats provided for these airplanes assume you're at or near the airplanes optimum performance altitude too. Do they not?

From what I have read, maneuverability is not effected by altitude, whatsoever. However it's possible that ones engine power wasn't enough to maintain optimal/tighter turn radius if they were above their optimal altitude.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

mav214 #12 Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 401 battles

View PostPerco_lator, on 26 April 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Some reasons why you might have lost a turn fight

- Pilot skills

- Player skill

- Plane equipment

- Maneuverability consumable

Yep, this for sure.

Pogo68 #13 Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1583 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostMojoe_Bailey, on 26 April 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

I just looked up the Spitfire Mk Ia and it clearly has a slower turn time than the Zero experimental. I'm still scratching my head over this loss. 

Human pilot or bot Spitfire?

I did not think that the special pilot went with the Bot flown Spitfire IA.

Also my Spitfire Mk Ia has the same turn rate as my Zero experimental

Also IRL the Zero A6M3 and the Spitfire Mk Ia have similar sustained turn rates.

The Zero has a lower stall speed.

Edited by Pogo68, 01 May 2018 - 07:41 AM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

GonerNL #14 Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 567 battles

View PostReitousair, on 27 April 2018 - 02:47 PM, said:

From what I have read, maneuverability is not effected by altitude, whatsoever.

In my experience, it does. Or did, anyway. Don't know what WG is changing in all their patches ...

I asked exactly the same question some time ago about being out-turned by a Spit in my Yak ... got the same reply that CruzANDBruz gave here. It turned out the fight took place at about 1500 meters where the Spit just turns better. When I fight them under 1000 meters, the Yak turns better.

And of course, equipment like lightweight frame, control surface + aerodynamics, aerobatics skills help.

Edited by GonerNL, 02 May 2018 - 10:28 AM.

Flying on EU and NA server

soydivision #15 Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 604 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Yeah.. pretty sure once you go above your optimal altitude ceiling, you start turning slower.  Unless something has been changed recently. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users