Nerf RB-17s tail gun.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Mojoe_Bailey #1 Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1443 battles
There is a serious problem with RB-17. Once you upgrade the damage on the turret the thing is just too freaking OP. It makes it tedious to play tier 8 when a player is in the RB. I was in my Ta-152 and was shooting it. That is Ta 152's job. To kill Rb-17. Guess what? It can't when a human is in it with a 8 skill point pilot. So, unless there is an option for me to upgrade the range of my front guns and dps on ta 152, nerf that crapon RB-17. I am even having issues fighting it in my Pancake. The problem is you can't get away from the damn turret once they get the stabilization and critical damage upgrades. Fix this crapnow. 

hoom #2 Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:34 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3880 battles

You need to attack from the sides.

Its got fairly narrow firing angle.

This is easier said than done if you don't have the speed/start from a bad position but basically if that applies you should find an easier target.

I made the mistake of going head on vs a player one once. Once :hiding:

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2783 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Ta 152 is a challenging plane to fly with the top weapons - I'd suggest the lower MK103/MG151 combo (the same combo the 335 has) if you're the type who just latches onto a bomber's tail and hoses it down. The triple MK103 requires you dance out of his angle of fire and tear him apart piece by piece. 

As for the RB17 itself, I really have no issues engaging them in the vertical or from the sides: even in the tier 7 P-51K, the RB17 isn't a serious threat to my airplane (unless he's boosting along at 500m)

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

LMG #4 Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2045 battles
The tailgun of the RB-17 is in-line with the other ground pounders at the tier stats-wise. If anything I think it's slightly below average, though the sample size isn't that big either. WG already said they'll look into rearguns later down the line
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Cenotaph #5 Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:44 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2949 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostLMG, on 25 April 2018 - 03:17 AM, said:

The tailgun of the RB-17 is in-line with the other ground pounders at the tier stats-wise. If anything I think it's slightly below average, though the sample size isn't that big either. WG already said they'll look into rearguns later down the line

Except those ground pounders can't just turn on the boost and outrun nearly anything they want, keeping their victim in the tail guns 1.4 km range, till it's fiery wreck plummets to the earth.

Edited by Cenotaph, 25 April 2018 - 11:44 AM.

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

MARS_REVENANT #6 Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:18 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3933 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostMojoe_Bailey, on 25 April 2018 - 01:58 AM, said:

There is a serious problem with RB-17. Once you upgrade the damage on the turret the thing is just too freaking OP. It makes it tedious to play tier 8 when a player is in the RB. I was in my Ta-152 and was shooting it. That is Ta 152's job. To kill Rb-17. Guess what? It can't when a human is in it with a 8 skill point pilot. So, unless there is an option for me to upgrade the range of my front guns and dps on ta 152, nerf that crapon RB-17. I am even having issues fighting it in my Pancake. The problem is you can't get away from the damn turret once they get the stabilization and critical damage upgrades. Fix this crapnow. 

Don't sit behind the tail while you are in a light fighter.  RB-17 are easily destroyed with proper tactics, nerfing its 1 defense makes it a sitting duck.  This same argument has been made for years about Ground Attack planes.  You just need to change your tactics and you will be fine.  Also, you don't always need to shoot someone down to make them ineffective in game.  If you stop them from dropping bombs accurately, they are not effective.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

Lambo805 #7 Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• -Community Ace-
  • 1586 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
I'll be the first to cry havoc and loose the hounds of 'nerf pls', but I'm with the others here. The RB-17s tail gun, while extremely annoying, is on par with what it should be. Now if it were quad 20mm (don't get any ideas WG), then sure it'd be broken...but as it stands now, the guns are perfectly fine and I generally either latch on and weave or just leave them be. Rarely has the lone bomber been a serious issue especially the higher up it climbs...unless of course Mars is flying it in which case you should divert all forces to nuke him. :playing:
Me: "It's not bragging if you can do it!"

My tombstone: He was bragging.

Blucraft #8 Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1351 battles

It's almost like the "tail gunner" is there to protect the plane :sceptic:...

-Blu

Reitousair #9 Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6406 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Ehhh the tail gunner isn't that strong on the RB-17 unless the pilot knows what he's doing.

Normally, it's not that hard to kill even a player RB-17, just approach carefully.

However, there are some RB-17 pilots that are streaking by at 840KPH at only 500m or so, good luck intercepting THAT. Even if you're in tier 9 fighters/MRF's a pilot doing this with a buffed up tail gunner is completely unapproachable if you don't attack from really specific angles because there's no way you're going to be keeping up that 840KPH speed long enough to match the RB-17's 60 seconds of boost, let alone surviving the gunner if the RB-17 pilot has precision gunner, in which case you will likely have everything on you crippled and can no longer keep up with them, or you get destroyed because you can't get out of the line of fire.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Perco_lator #10 Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:00 PM

• 11 battles

View PostMojoe_Bailey, on 25 April 2018 - 02:52 AM, said:

Since I am about to leave this game over the fact that I can't quite get my win rate to 60%

Seriously though, think about it. You are about to lose me over this win rate business.

Well since you are about to leave the game I guess there is no need to worry about the RB-17's tailgunner now is there?

"Come find me in the game, tough guy.  We'll see who knows stuff."

General_Lee_Miserable #11 Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 317 battles

There are many attack angles you can take on bombers and GA that will result in minimal exposure to tail gun fire, if any at all. Even the il-40p can be dispatched with little effort from a fighter when you know what you are doing. 

LMG #12 Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2045 battles

View PostGeneral_Lee_Miserable, on 25 April 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

There are many attack angles you can take on bombers and GA that will result in minimal exposure to tail gun fire, if any at all. Even the il-40p can be dispatched with little effort from a fighter when you know what you are doing. 

I can confirm that a single fighter that knows what it's doing will make short work of the top soviet GAAs without them being able to retaliate. Especially those japanese multiroles, those kill me before my reargun gets them, even the bot ones

cobra_marksman #13 Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3550 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostBlucraft, on 25 April 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

It's almost like the "tail gunner" is there to protect the plane :sceptic:...

-Blu

​Wow...really....something to protect a plane with weak fwd. firing guns, a few  med. size bombs, very little defensive cover other then it's tail gun.  :amazed: Lets weaken the tail gunner, because some players don't know how to take down the Bombers. :child: Bet you thought he was an easy kill for you :ohmy:  and..... so now that you know....... he ain't, ......you want then to Nerf it for you. :facepalm:  Why don't you try and learn how to take on a Tail gunner :playing:  or you just might want to consider leaving him alone. Hey I got it....try dog fighting with your fighter, :izmena:  or do you want them to Nerf dog fighting also.:popcorn:

Edited by cobra_marksman, 25 April 2018 - 07:28 PM.

mnbv_fockewulfe #14 Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:26 AM

Captain

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
RB-17 TG is only OP with a 10 skill russian gunner in the seat.
And max damage at 1.4km is just wrong.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

FIight #15 Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:48 AM

• 4145 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

I would say most players don't know how to fly RB effectively, leading to the falsified impression that the tail gun

is under-powered.

LMG #16 Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2045 battles

View PostFIight, on 26 April 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

I would say most players don't know how to fly RB effectively, leading to the falsified impression that the tail gun

is under-powered.

We're not really saying it's underpowered, just that it's not as over-the-top stats-wise when compared to the rearguns of the other ground pounders as it's made to look. Most of the problems seem to come from reargunner skills, which WG already said they'd take a look at.

Most ground pounders live and die by their turrets, so they need them to be efficient at keeping them alive against the threats they'll be facing, and Bombers have it rough up-high while being chased by heavies with lots of health and big guns (GAAs don't suffer as badly to them because they're too slow and fly too low)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users