Question about pilot skills for BF 109 E

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

JackG79 #1 Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:33 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2560 battles

I am really enjoying the BF 109 E .  

I don't carry a fire ext. so I used my first skill point to get the "Special Pilot Skill"    ** FIre Fighter** 

Since then i held onto the next one. and just got another....   so now I have 2 available skill points I can use.  

What should I get with them? 

I am running LW Airframe II ,(+3% Manuverability)    Polish (+5% Top Speed) and Engine Tuning (+5% to Engine Power). 

**It should be noted that I am fairly noob....  So if I should be doing something different with my specilalized equiptment, and decking out the plane differently, I am open to suggestion** 

I was hoping some of the veteran players around could weigh in and help me out with this. 

Standard or Universal Ammo?? 

CorvusCorvax #2 Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:51 PM

Major

• 4893 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

A maneuvering skill.  One that increases the effects of the equipment you have loaded.

It helps, because I run the same thing.

pyantoryng #3 Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2673 battles

German planes aren't that vulnerable to fire unlike the lighter Russian or Japanese ones...drop that firefighter for something else whenever you have the silver to spare and grab one of the 1-pointer...or save that extra point for other 2-pointer.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

JackG79 #4 Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:10 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2560 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 21 April 2018 - 08:50 PM, said:

German planes aren't that vulnerable to fire unlike the lighter Russian or Japanese ones...drop that firefighter for something else whenever you have the silver to spare and grab one of the 1-pointer...or save that extra point for other 2-pointer.

Will do. Thanks! !

mnbv_fockewulfe #5 Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:45 AM

Captain

• 660 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostRico_CotC_, on 21 April 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

A maneuvering skill.  One that increases the effects of the equipment you have loaded.

It helps, because I run the same thing.

He's running engine tuning and polish, so I disagree with your verdict.
The German planes in the game rely on speed. So the two points is better spent on Engine Guru or the aerodynamics expert one which boosts both of the speed equipment he has. 
Since he isn't running gunsights (a piece of equipment I run on nearly all my planes), it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up the marksman skill when he has enough points. 

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

Dru83 #6 Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4640 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
I agree with Mnvb. The 109 is all about speed, so engine guru or aero expert is the way to go. As mentioned above, If you did happen to have extra skill points, marksman is always good, especially on the 109E which has wing guns, so accuracy isn't as good as the later 109s that have the guns all in the nose. I wouldn't bother with the fire based skills on the 109s, but I do carry fire extinguishers on every plane I fly... It's just a good practice, since being able to stop a fire can mean the difference between turning the tables on an opponent or quite literally going down in flames.

cddlbunny #7 Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:53 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2556 battles
  • [335TH] 335TH
I would and do choose vision for all my pilots on the first XP choice. It helps to pick them up early and then decide which one you are going for. The others that I run are usually gunsight and self sealing fuel tanks along with concealing livery. But then it depends on the plane that you are using it on. If you go to Boob Tube and check out Akirishin's videos on it you will probably have an idea on what to use the pilot points for as well as the build for the aircraft. Hate it when I spell someone's name wrong and good thing it was in the topic listings.

Edited by cddlbunny0, 22 April 2018 - 02:58 AM.

mnbv_fockewulfe #8 Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

Captain

• 660 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postcddlbunny0, on 22 April 2018 - 02:53 AM, said:

I would and do choose vision for all my pilots on the first XP choice. It helps to pick them up early and then decide which one you are going for. The others that I run are usually gunsight and self sealing fuel tanks along with concealing livery. But then it depends on the plane that you are using it on. If you go to Boob Tube and check out Akirishin's videos on it you will probably have an idea on what to use the pilot points for as well as the build for the aircraft. Hate it when I spell someone's name wrong and good thing it was in the topic listings.

Since 2.0, vision isn't nearly as important of a  skill as it used to be. This is mainly because planes now have a standard detect and be detected range. 

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

LeastWeasel #9 Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3845 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
I don’t know if it was just confirmation bias at work, but I had until recently been running Cruise Flight on a 109z & 262 - kicks in more often than you think, and I felt like when it did, I would spot a lot more with that extra 20% vision. Also made regaining alt & getting to those bombers/Ga that much easier....

I think if you’re really picking and choosing targets, there could be a case for sight. Seems to be a lot more cloud cover & LoS issues as you go up in tiers...

shirime #10 Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4123 battles
  • [FPOA] FPOA

At the risk of a throw-away "duh" start, depends on how you're flying the 109 E.

It is the first of the mid-tier planes (warning: the F & G are not, umm, the most user friendly planes in the game - the high tier planes are great but play very differently) and you can start playing it with the playstyle that becomes de riguer at tiers VI and VII, namely, get your plane up high, like, above 2,500m. Dive down to pick off light fighters if you have to, but otherwise stay high and punish bombers, heavies, and any multis or light fighters who are foolish enough to try to climb up there. 

The only reason to mention the above is to align the gear and pilot skills to playstyle. Personally I prefer to kit things out to maximize effectiveness in a firefight rather than loading up with things that are really only useful between firefights. When I first started I had Engine Tuning on everything, I think because of some youtube vid, but I've since stripped that gear off everything. I like the 109 E as a pounce fighter (tbh, I play pretty much every plane as a pounce fighter, so, grains of salt), so it's a lot about maximizing alpha damage; gunsight for gear and marksman skills (1 + 2 ideally) for the pilot. Aircraft polish makes good sense as it gives you a bit of a higher base speed to help keep up with heavies long enough to chew through them. LW Airframe not a bad choice imho, but it's more about being a bit better at some evasive wiggling; nothing is going to turn the 109 E into something that can keep up with Spits, Ki's, or Zeroes. Improved covering not a bad one if you do stay up high where you're catching tail gunner fire from heavies and bombers. The other pilot skill that's worth playing with for the E is Raptor Strike; I know, it's three points, but it is for real. If you like the idea of climbing high and then diving at those pesky Zeroes, a well aligned run with raptor strike active will one-pass them many a time. Not that you'll get to this point on the first grind through, but if you keep the E and throw a pilot with Marksman I + II AND Raptor Strike, it gets pretty nasty... Still works on the 109 F. Less so on the G; gets a little "surgical." 

The good news is re-specs on the pilot skills are really cheap and it's worth giving yourself the chance to play around with different configs and see what meshes with how you play. The "complex" equipment thing (like Aircraft Polish) is a little annoying as demounting them (as opposed to selling at 50 cents on the dollar or something) costs 10 gold.

In terms of Standard vs Universal, I tend to think of that as trading credits for XP.

Running universal will generally let me get a higher score in the match, increasing both XP and Credits, but on average, not quite enough extra credits to pay for the cost of using universal, so if you're in the same boat it's about what you are prioritizing in terms of your progress.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users