So tier 9 premiums are a thing now. . .

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

SgtSchlautter #1 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5760 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
I hate this concept. I REALLY HATE THIS CONCEPT. WG, this is completely wrong. If that tier 9 piece of trash makes more credits than the tier 8 premiums, then WG cares only about squeezing every dime they can from this dying game. WG doesn't want this game to succeed, they want it to die

Krautjaeger #2 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 926 battles
  • [KOOKS] KOOKS

Posted on that subject here: http://forum.worldof...105#entry732105

View PostKrautjaeger, on 20 April 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

When I saw this offer in the premium store I wondered if there were some pricing errors and typos, as far as I can see there's quite different values but the same price for all which felt more than a bit odd but ok. Then the fact that this is a tier 9 plane, for sale, as a premium. Now, I've been with WG for more than a few years now and I thought their general stance was they would never ever sell tier 9 premium vehicles for gold or cash so is this signifying a shift in WG premium store offers for the future?

In some ways the precursor to this was the tier 9 premium ships in WoWs, Missouri and Musashi, though you needed 750.000 free xp to get them so you had to play to either save up or convert xp to free xp for doubloons. Was this a test to see how it would be welcomed by players? I wonder. If this does signify a shift in premium store and vehicle offers it is not too surprising either when we look at the gigantic shift in online gamer mentality and what the new ageless casual gamer generation wants and spend their money on.

Things have changed, and is still changing, and challenge-based gaming is becoming a thing of the past and wholly casual, kick the boots of, chillax gaming is owning the whole field and is being catered to by pretty much all MMO games and companies out there. As an example, a short time ago ESO had a dress-up competition where adult men and women paid out of pocket to dress their characters up. It's not unusual at all for casuals to spend $300 a month on their favorite game(s) and more, so it is easy to see why companies are targeting this major segment.

Edited by Krautjaeger, 20 April 2018 - 04:23 PM.

NovaTempest #3 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5371 battles

View PostSgtSchlautter, on 20 April 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

I hate this concept. I REALLY HATE THIS CONCEPT. WG, this is completely wrong. If that tier 9 piece of trash makes more credits than the tier 8 premiums, then WG cares only about squeezing every dime they can from this dying game. WG doesn't want this game to succeed, they want it to die

Go look up youtube videos of the missouri Tier 9 premium in World of warships, that beast can make millions in a single battle.

In fact world of warplanes is the last of the three titles to get a tier 9 premium, WoT has tier 10 Premiums, be thankful those are not a thing here.

Krautjaeger #4 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 926 battles
  • [KOOKS] KOOKS

View PostNovaTempest, on 20 April 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

Go look up youtube videos of the missouri Tier 9 premium in World of warships, that beast can make millions in a single battle.

In fact world of warplanes is the last of the three titles to get a tier 9 premium, WoT has tier 10 Premiums, be thankful those are not a thing here.

Afaik, WoWp has the first *sold* for cash/gold tier 9 premium though which was something WG has stated over the years would not happen in their games. Then again they did sell 'Mutant' so...

Edited by Krautjaeger, 20 April 2018 - 04:30 PM.

SonicPariah #5 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 427 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

View PostKrautjaeger, on 20 April 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

Afaik, WoWp has the first *sold* for cash/gold tier 9 premium though which was something WG has stated over the years would not happen in their games. Then again they did sell 'Mutant' so...

To be fair, I LOVE the Mutant.

That being neither here nor there: We are working on the "Reward" part of this plane.

Krautjaeger #6 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 926 battles
  • [KOOKS] KOOKS

View PostSonicPariah, on 20 April 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

That being neither here nor there: We are working on the "Reward" part of this plane.

Oh yeah, I love the Mutant too and missed it early on so all good for me. Personally I have nothing against WG selling tier 9 or even tier 10 premiums if you wanted to do that, it is a new day and you have to transition and move with the majority of the player-base that plays your games. Just a bit fun that it's been said, through the years, that WG just wouldn't. :honoring:

Spyshadow01 #7 Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1361 battles

View PostNovaTempest, on 20 April 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

WoT has tier 10 Premiums, be thankful those are not a thing here.

As far as I'm aware, those tanks are purely reward vehicles and do not have the normal benefits that Premium vehicles have excluding the ability to use crews from other tanks of the same class without penalty.

Perco_lator #8 Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:09 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11 battles

View PostNovaTempest, on 20 April 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

WoT has tier 10 Premiums, be thankful those are not a thing here.

They are reward tanks or tanks that have been replaced by another tank in the tech tree.

Not real premiums in the sense that they only make credits & xp the same as regular tanks. The only advantage is that you can swap in a compatible crew.

Lambo805 #9 Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• -Community Ace-
  • 1589 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Some things:

1) Yes, World of Tanks has tier 10 premiums. They're reward tanks for clan battles or whatever they're called these days.  Except the M60 which is a code you can obtain from MeatheadMilitia, just make sure you told him I Tragic sent you and he'll give you one no questions asked.*

2) "Millions" earned with Missouri/Musashi is a stretch. The best I've seen personally achieved to date was 1.8M in a game where a guy did 240k with camo/flags that boosted credits. Maybe that's a bit pedantic, because theoretically it could earn millions, but generally you'll see between 500k-1M per game. Still phenomenal, but don't want people thinking 'buy Musashi, make billions in credits per day' is the way to WoWS. Again, here, WG requires the hefty 750k free XP which you really still are buying the ship anyway, they just add in the fun of grinding out 750k on premiums or what have you then buying the gold to convert.

moving on...

3) The anti-tier 9/10 premium crowd-this is the main reason for my post. Yes, I get it. You ground and ground and ground and earned your tier 10(s) and you're proud of your accomplishment, and I am too...that's a hell of a long time to invest in the game, and you SHOULD be proud of yourself...but that's just one segment of this game. I don't play Warplanes because I want tier 10s. In fact, most of my favorites are tier 6-8. I play it because I love aviation, and specifically the era from 1930-1970 which is pretty much the wheelhouse of World of Warplanes. I love flying the XF5U and Goodyear F2G, bombing around at 500 feet in my A-26B, or putting on an aerobatic display fitting of Kyle Franklin in my P-39 or Fantome.  That's what it's about for me, so I don't take any issue with a Tier 9 premium being sold, or even a 10.  If someone wants to spend the money, let them. The more money spent on the game, the more development. More development is good for all of us. Also, some people don't want to/don't have the time to spend months and months grinding to get where we are, why should they be prevented from flying against F-86s and so on?  The tl;dr here is this: It's a game, people play the game how they like, and nobody is forcing you to buy the XF-85, and furthermore it's not game breaking or demeaning your achievements.

GLHF and O7, may your flights always be CAVU!

Me: "It's not bragging if you can do it!"

My tombstone: He was bragging.

MARS_REVENANT #10 Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:33 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5418 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostSgtSchlautter, on 20 April 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

Not sure I understand your issue.  Tier 8 premium planes are okay, but Tier 9 are not?  The credit cost to play goes up as you play higher tiers, so it would make sense that a higher tier premium plane would generate more credits and exp.

From what I hear, it isn't a piece of trash. 

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

Reitousair #11 Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

• 10182 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Funnily enough, while I despise the idea of allowing anybody to fly high tiers (mainly because of experiences from previous games...) just by paying some some money.

But at the same time, this will potentially populate high-tiers so it's no longer amazing to see a 3v3 so.... dunno. There's not a lot of new players willing to dump that much money on this game, but at the same time new players can dump $70 into WoWp and suddenly be fighting with and against the strongest aircraft in the game which will overall prove... a serious problem. I'm kinda torn between this, I hate the idea of people being able to buy their ways to top tiers, but at the same time they need a population injection.

Still, if people want to buy it, then go for it, I may hate the idea of tier 9/10 aircraft going for real cash but I won't hold it against people to buy such a fascinating aircraft. And I'll enjoy tearing that fascinating aircraft apart.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

blackmustang5 #12 Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1805 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

What makes this plane warrant being listed as a tier 9 ?

To look at the specs it wouldn't be out of place as a tier 8 premium ?

Is this WG testing the waters and seeing what the reaction is to a tier 9 premium ? 

SgtSchlautter #13 Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5760 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

I have nothing against u Sonic, especially after seeing your dedication to these forum threads recently, but if WG truly is planning on the 'reward' aspect of the plane, then that should have been conveyed to the community in the main page. Right now, we can only buy the plane. If someone buys it and then realizes they could have earned it a week later if they had just waited, that seems a bit wrong to me. At least with the Do 335 and the XF15C, we knew that we could earn it or buy it as soon as it was announced

Wombatmetal #14 Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:20 PM

• 1044 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostNovaTempest, on 20 April 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

I have made upwards of 800k silver in a T6 premium in a single battle in ships. The two economies are vastly different

Lambo805 #15 Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• -Community Ace-
  • 1589 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postblackmustang5, on 20 April 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

What makes this plane warrant being listed as a tier 9 ?

To look at the specs it wouldn't be out of place as a tier 8 premium ?

Is this WG testing the waters and seeing what the reaction is to a tier 9 premium ? 

From what I've been reading, it's on par with the FJ-1 which is a tier 9. Slightly better in some ways, slightly worse in others. 

Either way, I'm okay with it. Anyone who's ever served can tell you that time=/=experience and I'd love to see more people in the game at all tiers.
Me: "It's not bragging if you can do it!"

My tombstone: He was bragging.

blackmustang5 #16 Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1805 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLambo805, on 20 April 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

From what I've been reading, it's on par with the FJ-1 which is a tier 9. Slightly better in some ways, slightly worse in others. 

Either way, I'm okay with it. Anyone who's ever served can tell you that time=/=experience and I'd love to see more people in the game at all tiers.

I'm getting there .... Just starting to unlock tier 8 tech tree planes now.

Been holding out on playing the few tier 8 premiums I have until I get used to the upper tier game play.

I am starting to see more players at tier 7 than previously.

Martymart1976 #17 Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5569 battles
  • [FK] FK
Think I am going to wait and find out if and how it can be earned.  Seems like this should have been nailed down before her release for sale. And another payday from "The Eagle" would be good too.

Unemployed_Bot #18 Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:35 PM

Senior Airman

• 5140 battles
  • [FK] FK

As in the option to earn it without paying out of pocket?

FIight #19 Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:16 AM

• 5067 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Might improve high tier game experience by increasing population there(or attract more money

warriors there). Either way, the plane seems to be lacking in firepower. It can't beat an Attacker,

or a skilled me-1092/FJ-1(can't outrun outturn or out-armor them) The slightly higher climb rate

is counterbalanced by the shorter boost time. 

Sheeple_Slayer #20 Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 548 battles

View PostSgtSchlautter, on 20 April 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

Watch out neckbeards, I'm coming!

BTW, how many thousands battles did you play for free to have a 9 points pilot? How many months of your  @#$_&-+()/?!;:'"* lives did you waste?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users